Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

11820222324

Posts

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Seamus's Int save (this can't end well)

    Seamus's Int save (this can't end well):
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Elvenshae
  • mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-4 for intelligence save.

    intelligence save:
    1d20-4 4 [1d20=8]

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @denada As you were, Mr. Illithid

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    While Seamus is able to withstand the mental assault posed by the mind flayer, Rhyna is a dog, which makes her considerably less equipped to defend herself against the monster's unnatural suggestion. That suggestion, in incomprehensible words, is "die", which Rhyna promptly does her best to do.

    Rhyna takes 25 psychic damage and would be stunned for 1 minute if she weren't dying instead. The mind flayer uses the remainder of its movement to move to N21, where it now has half cover.

    Round 3

    enc07-round3.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (0/0).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active. Paralyzed (Wis save DC 10 at end of turn, 10/10).
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 30/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 21/63; AC 15 - Status: Half cover vs non-adjacent enemies.

    @Melding is up.

    Denada on
    Elvenshae
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Jelenneth tries not to panic, moving forward as she watches each of her allies seemingly get stopped in their tracks, deciding to focus on the strange creature she mutters a word as she chokes back her fear. "Sleep."

    alright move to m4, then cast sleep covering the area of the mind flayer.

    geth roll 5d8 for sleeping

    Well, let's hope for the best and @Denada you're up.

    Well, fuck.

    sleeping:
    5d8 17 [5d8=2, 4, 3, 5, 3]

    Melding on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Exchanging one dwarf for another, Theresa extends her hand again, muttering the same unholy incantation as she did before. This time, however, the spell has no effect.

    Theresa casts Inflict Wounds as a 2nd level spell against Lakor, but her attack misses.

    Tal and Rhyna are both down. I'm not going to bother with Rhyna's death save because, come on.

    Halath is paralyzed, so @Nealneal‌ just make another Wisdom save against that.


    Meanwhile, Sophia's voice rings out from her hiding place. It's a gross imitation of her formerly silver tongue, but the magic is still there and it still assaults Seamus's will.

    Sophia casts Vicious Mockery at Seamus. @silence1186‌ please make a Wisdom save.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular

    Geth roll 1d20 for Shaking it off.

    Shaking it:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Does Theresa not provoke OA in this edition?

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Nope. You get hit with an OA only if you leave someone's threatened area, enter the threatened area of an enemy with the Polearm Master Feat, cast a spell standing next to someone with the Mage Slayer Feat, or move or attack someone else when next to someone with the Sentinel Feat.

    Nealneal on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 for Seamus's Wisdom save

    @denada As you were

    Seamus's Wisdom save:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I should have killed you while I had the chance, Halath!

    Halath comes back around just in time to see Seamus lower his weapon slightly, a look of self-doubt on his face.

    Seamus takes 4 psychic damage and has disadvantage on his next attack.

    enc07-round3b.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (0/0).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 26/46; AC 20 - Status: Disadvantage on next attack.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 21/63; AC 15 - Status: Half cover vs non-adjacent enemies.

    @silence1186‌ is up.

    NealnealElvenshae
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @denada If I get on top of the altar/raised platform looking thing, will I have line of sight on the Mind flayer? Also, what is Sophia behind? A pillar connecting the ground to the ceiling? Finally, does diagonal movement cost 5ft, or alternate 5ft and 10ft (for example could I make it to P17 making 5 diagonal moves)?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You have line of sight to the mind flayer now, he just has some cover from standing behind a raised platform. If you get up there (doesn't cost any extra movement) and get next to him he won't have cover against you.

    Sophia is standing behind a floor-to-ceiling pillar.

    Diagonal movement costs the same as regular movement. 5ft all day long.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Would we get advantage if we attacked from the platform just above the Mind Flayer? Like high-ground advantage?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Would we get advantage if we attacked from the platform just above the Mind Flayer? Like high-ground advantage?

    No.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    As Seamus maneuvers himself towards the Mind Flayer, he stows his Warhammer and pulls out his bonded Handaxe. He takes aim, knowing it's a long shot, and hurls the axe at the Illithid. Afterwards he teleports the axe back to his hand.

    Move to N13. Swap weapons. Make a long range thrown attack against the Mind Flayer (I already have disadvantage, so it can't get any worse). As a bonus action teleport the Handaxe back to my hand after the throwing attack finishes.

    Geth roll 2d20l1+5;1d6+3 for Don't tell me the odds and hope for miracle slashing damage

    for miracle slashing damage:
    2d20l1+5 13 [2d20l1=[8], 17]
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I figured it would be something like that. @am0n you're up next.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Ugh, sorry.

    Lakor dances around Theresa, putting himself closer to the real threat. With a wave and a wink, flames burst from the ceiling aiming to smite the Mind Flayer. In their wake, a shadow hammer appears, taking a swing at the creature.

    Move to K9 (doesn't provoke OA I believe) and then Sacred Flame the Mind Flayer. Follow it up with Spiritual Weapon, placing the weapon at M21 to prevent cover.

    Geth roll 1d8 for Sacred Flame Damage Dex ST vs DC13
    Geth roll 1d20+5;1d8+3 for Spiritual Weapon Attack;Spiritual Weapon Damage

    Edit: And if it matters, Sacred Flame is Radiant damage and Spiritual Weapon is Force Damage.


    @Denada

    Sacred Flame Damage Dex ST vs DC13:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    Spiritual Weapon Attack;Spiritual Weapon Damage:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

    am0n on
    Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The mind flayer succeeds on its saving throw vs Sacred Flame.

    The mind flayer strides forward, but doesn't seem to be able to focus on an attack at the moment. Instead, it puts its attention on avoiding your attacks.

    The mind flayer moves to N15, then uses the Dodge action. Until the start of its next turn, all attacks against it from enemies that it can see have disadvantage, and it has advantage on Dex saves.

    Round 4

    enc07-round4.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (1S/0F).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 26/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 17/63; AC 15 - Status: Dodging.

    @Melding is up.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Jelenneth holds her breath she watches the move defensively. Finally deciding the best way to take it out is to go for spells with no real fail state, as she looses Melf's Acid Arrow.

    hurrah for spells that do damage on a miss. Melf's acid arrow at mind flayer

    geth roll 2d20l1+5;4d4 for hitting and the acid damage

    Half damage on a miss, another 2d4 at the start of his turn on a hit.

    back to you @Denada

    hitting and the acid damage:
    2d20l1+5 8 [2d20l1=[3], 16]
    4d4 6 [4d4=2, 1, 1, 2]

    Melding on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Theresa seems quite concerned with protecting her (its?) master, so she shuffles around Lakor and creates a pillar of burning light on Seamus.

    Theresa moves to L10, then casts Sacred Flame on Seamus.

    Minion, roll 1d20 for Seamus's Dex save.
    Minion, roll 1d8 for Sacred Flame radiant damage.

    enc07-round4b.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (2S/0F).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 14/63; AC 15 - Status: Dodging.

    Tal and Rhyna are both down, so that brings us to @Nealneal‌'s turn.

    Seamus's Dex save:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]
    Sacred Flame radiant damage:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    Denada on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Having shaken off Sophia's spell, Halath springs behind the nearest column attempting to get out of sight of the mind flayer.

    Move to G4
    Use Cunning Action to Hide
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Hide, hide dear Lolth please hide

    Hide, hide dear Lolth please hide:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @denada, I'm going to assume that hide check didn't succeed and move on with my turn.

    Nealneal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That's a good assumption.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Noticing that the Mind Flayer was still watching him, Halath decides to go for broke and cast a spell,throwing a pinch of dust in it's direction.

    Geth roll 5d8 for Go to sleep nightmare monster

    Go to sleep nightmare monster:
    5d8 27 [5d8=6, 8, 5, 1, 7]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Suddenly, you hear a weirdly comical pop!, and Sophia's body falls to the ground, lifeless. Another intellect devourer appears next to the corpse, but it doesn't stay there. It skitters around Seamus and then slashes at his legs with its claws while also poking at his brain with its ... brain. Which is also its body.

    I3 uses 5 feet of movement to abandon Sophia's body and appear in O13. It then moves around to M13 and uses Multiattack to attack Seamus with Claws and Devour Intellect. The claws miss.

    Minion, roll 1d20+2 for Seamus's Int save.

    Seamus's Int save:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    enc07-round4c.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (1S/0F).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Intellect Devourer 3 - HP 23/23; AC 12 - Status: Normal.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 14/63; AC 15 - Status: Unconscious (10 rounds left).

    @silence1186‌ is up.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oh gods, that could have ended poorly. @denada If the Mind Flayer wakes up this turn (perhaps because someone smacks it in the face), would it still be considered Dodging for the rest of the turn? Or would that not matter since it's fallen prone? As a follow up, do both attacks from a Two-Weapon/Dual Wield attack auto-crit against an unconscious foe?

    E: Also, rolling our saves is a nice way to speed up turns, Denada. Great idea.

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "So you wanna tussle with ole Stoutstuff, do ye little brain? Well see how ye like this!" Seamus stows his handaxe and reaches down and attempts to grab the tiny monster brain. Seamus initiates a Grapple against ID3. @Denada contest my Athletics with ID3's Athletics or Acrobatics, then I'll finish my turn.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Seamus's Athletics check

    Seamus's Athletics check:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dodge states that you lose the benefit if you are incapacitated, which the mind flayer currently is. Sleep states that the target wakes up if they take damage. Since the attacks from Extra Attack are resolved separately (and in the case of fighting with two weapons the second attack is an optional bonus action, which is definitely resolved separately) I would rule that only the first attack will auto-crit, because the damage from that first attack is resolved (thereby waking up the Unconscious target) before the second attack occurs.

    You would still have advantage on subsequent attacks because the mind flayer will still be prone (from being Unconscious) until it stands up.

    I3 fails the contest and is now Grappled.

    Denada on
    Elvenshae
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Thanks for your answers, Denada.

    Seamus picks up the tiny brain and takes it along with him, as you would a tasty ham.

    Seamus moves to M16, and drags ID3 to M17

    @am0n you are up.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Dear party: please kill the horrible ham that I am holding.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    ElvenshaeThe Sauce
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Continuing his dance with Theresa (Why, what pretty eyes you have, miss.), Lakor moves around Theresa, inching his way closer to the Mind Flayer. With a strong swing, he beckons his shadow hammer forward to swing at the Intellect Devourerer (erererererer) As the swing comes down, light pierces through the ceiling once again, bathing the Intellect Devourerer in a radiant beam.

    Move to M11. As a bonus action, move my Spiritual Weapon to M18 and attack the ID in M17. Follow that up with Sacred Flame on the ID.

    Geth roll 1d20+5;1d8+3 for Spiritual Weapon Attack;Spiritual Weapon Damage
    Geth roll 1d8 for Sacred Flame Damage Dex vs DC13

    @‌Denada

    Edit: Damn. That was nice damage, too. And a miss. :(

    Spiritual Weapon Attack;Spiritual Weapon Damage:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]
    Sacred Flame Damage Dex vs DC13:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    am0n on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I3 fails its Dex save and takes 6 damage. The mind flayer continues snoozing.

    Round 5

    enc07-round5.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 19/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (2S/0F).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Intellect Devourer 3 - HP 17/23; AC 12 - Status: Grappled.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 14/63; AC 15 - Status: Unconscious (9 rounds left).

    @Melding‌ is up.

    Denada on
    Elvenshae
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Unsure what to do, Jelenneth moves in a bit closer, sending a ray of frost to try to kill the terrible creature in Seamus' arms.

    move up to P10, then cast ray of frost on ID3

    geth roll 1d20+5; 1d8 for hitting and then cold damage.

    back to you @Denada

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d20+5;1d8 for hitting and then cold damage

    hitting and then cold damage:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Another pop! sounds in the chamber as Theresa's body falls to the floor. Her little passenger appears near Lakor and does pretty much exactly what the other intellect devourer did to Seamus.

    I4 uses 5 feet of movement to abandon Theresa's body, appearing in L11. It then moves to M12 and uses Multiattack to attack Lakor with Claws and Devour Intellect. The claw attack misses.

    Minion, roll 1d20+1 for Lakor's Int save.

    Lakor's Int save:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

    ElvenshaeInfidelThe SauceAegeri
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lakor can feel the pain of the intellect devourer's psychic assault, but his mind remains intact for now.

    Lakor takes 13 psychic damage, but does not succumb to any Intelligence drain.

    enc07-round5b.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Intellect Devourer 4 - HP 21/21; AC 12 - Status: Normal.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Dying (2S/1F).
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Intellect Devourer 3 - HP 15/23; AC 12 - Status: Grappled.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 27/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 14/63; AC 15 - Status: Unconscious (9 rounds left).

    @Nealneal‌ is up.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    So Seamus is holding a brain-shaped ham monster, and a brain-shaped, ham monster just popped out of Theresa's head. Since I can't find it anywhere...there doesn't seem to be any negatives for me shooting Seamus's ham. Since it is definitely within 5 ft of an ally I would get my Sneak Attack Damage right? I wonder if you can hide from an eyeless brain-ham? So many questions @Denada.‌

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Also, does Halath count as an unseen attacker if he attacks from outside of the brain's Blindsight radius?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

Sign In or Register to comment.