As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Page #1 of the PHB: If your DM ever asks you "Are you sure?" the correct answer is always an emphatic NO.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "Hmm, I have a pretty good idea what these creatures are going to want to eat when they hatch, and let me tell you, I'm not feeling tasty today." Seamus gestures towards the two northern oriented tunnels, "Shall we flip a coin to choose?"

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "I guess. None of us have any kind of divining spells, right? And I think moving out of here as fast as possible is a good idea, i don't want to be around when these things hatch."

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "When they hatch?" Lakor exclaims. "Our dwarven friend here just decided to expedite that process with his axe. I'm not sure 'When' is the right question. Either way, we need to move and move now. I vote we head to the left of the two."

• Options
    "Well, I really wanted to cook 'em all, but I haven't quite mastered evoking Fireballs yet."

• Options
    mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    I'd like to use my track feat and my subterranean lore to attempt to find the most common path between the two, should there be one.

Tal bends down to examine the floor a bit.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • Options
    I don't know. I was inexperienced in creating a character, so I grabbed one and modified it to my needs. I think it was re-tooled from 3.5e and just thrown up there. I cannot find it, either, and I cannot find something close to it in the PhB. I'll try to find something to replace it.

• Options
    Survival or Nature?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ok, I will change that to Survival, and change my action to primeval awareness, sacrificing a spell slot to see if any of the following are within one mile of me: aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends,
    and undead.

mallenellam on
  • Options
    There are aberrations within one mile of you. You don't detect any of the other kinds of creatures. You can't tell how many there are or where they're located, but they're definitely somewhere.

• Options
    "Everyone be careful and on alert; there are aberrations in the area." Tal knocks an arrow and readies it. "I cannot tell from where they are coming, so I vote left, as well."

• Options
    "Everyone guard yer brain, and be on the lookout! Let's see what's down the Northwest passage. "

• Options
    "Alright, left it is"

• Options
    The northwest passage is long and winding, but eventually you end up in another chamber. Those of you with a knowledge of dwarven architecture will recognize the underlying structure as a Moradite temple, but that's really not the thing that stands out to you right now.

At the far end of the large, cavernous room is a bizarre structure, something like a bed, but alien in construction and standing at an angle against the wall. A young woman, perhaps in her late teens or early twenties, is held there by mottled gray tentacles. Her skin is extremely pale, but she is clearly alive.

Standing next to the girl is a tall, thin humanoid with blue and purple skin, a bald head, and face tentacles. A few of those tentacles are draped over the girl's head, and the creature appears to be intensely focused.

Standing as guards are a few people you recognize: Sophia and Theresa. At their feet are a pair of intellect devourers who, although they have no faces, look ready to eat some brains.

The illithid doesn't seem to be paying any attention to you. Sophia and Theresa are staring at you. No one is making any moves.

What do you do?

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to say I shoot them in the face. I also tempted to talk to the Illithid.

• Options
    Sophia looks at Halath and opens her mouth, but another voice comes out. "Does cattle speak with the butcher?" the voice says. "Whether you choose to fight or to speak with that which you cannot possibly understand matters not. You are beneath us."

• Options
    "Well, that's reassuring. Let's put this place to the flame."

• Options
    And with that, I think we should go ahead and...

Roll Initiative!

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for initiative.

initiative:
    1d20+4 14 [1d20=10]

• Options
    Seamus chuckles to himself, "Everyone's finally on board with the burn it all down plan, I see."

Geth roll 1d20 for Seamus's Initiative

Also, we are seriously all gonna die.

Seamus's Initiative:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Bah! I was going to initiate with my warhammer, but then the forums crashed. :(

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Slow As A Snail

Edit: LOL. I called that. Hopefully the enemies roll low, too!

Slow As A Snail:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]

am0n on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    geth roll 1d20+3 for when to go.

For once i roll high! Gotta go fast kids!

when to go:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

Melding on
  • Options
    This one is all up to you @Melding . Do us proud!

• Options
    Well, luckily i only used 2 spells against the minotaur. And i'm a wizard. I might just have a plan.

• Options

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    Well, luckily i only used 2 spells against the minotaur. And i'm a wizard. I might just have a plan.

I hope the plan in part includes "burn this mother down to the ground."

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

I hope the plan in part includes "burn this mother down to the ground."

yeah, until i can put the mindflayer to sleep reliably, and then we something something TO VICTORY!

• Options
    Round 1

It appears you've finally come upon the source of this nightmare. The next - and probably most - important question is: what can you do about it?

enc07-round1.jpg

Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13
    Theresa - HP 23/23; AC 18
    Tal - HP 29/40; AC 16
    Rhyna - HP 17/21; AC 14
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16
    Intellect Devourer 1 - HP 24/24; AC 12
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14
    Seamus - HP 46/46; AC 20
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18
    Intellect Devourer 2 - HP 21/21; AC 12
    Mind Flayer - HP 63/63; AC 15

Up First: @Melding‌

• Options
    Jelenneth quickly sets off several scorching rays at the closest brain/dog/thing/oh god how does that exist in reality creature. "Faster we kill off those things the less we have to worry about meeting the same fate."

scorching ray at I2

Geth roll 3#1d20+5;3#2d6 for scorching ray and fire damage

scorching ray and fire damage:
    3#1d20+5 3 # 25 [1d20=20] 11 [1d20=6] 7 [1d20=2]
    3#2d6 3 # 7 [2d6=3, 4] 6 [2d6=5, 1] 6 [2d6=1, 5]

• Options
    oh well, that is messed up.

Minion roll 2d6

you're up @Denada

2d6 7 [2d6=5, 2]

• Options
    Theresa extends a hand toward the injured intellect devourer, and imbues the foul creature with healing magic.

Theresa casts Cure Wounds on I2. I2 regains 7 hit points.

@mallenellam‌ is up.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Tal fires his arrow at the closest intellect devourer.

Geth roll 1d20+9;1d6+5 to hit and damage.

@Nealneal‌

to hit and damage.:
    1d20+9 22 [1d20=13]
    1d6+5 8 [1d6=3]

mallenellam on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "Rest now Sophia. Rest and I will take your corpse back to your family," whispers Halath as he throws a handful of dust in the direction of the mosters.
    Casting Sleep with Sophia as the point of origin.
    Geth roll 5d8 for Sleep Hit Points

You have got to be kidding me.... Halath is CURSED.

Wait...it might take out one of the Intellect Devourers...that's something good at least.

@denada

Sleep Hit Points:
    5d8 19 [5d8=3, 5, 6, 4, 1]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Be vewy vewy quiet. I2 is sleeping.

One of the intellect devourers slumps to the ground, unconscious. Meanwhile, the other intellect devourer runs around one of the columns and rakes at Tal with its claws. It also rakes at his mind because it wants his braaaaaaain.

I1 moves to H1 (avoiding OAs), then uses Multiattack to attack Tal with Claws and Devour Intellect. @silence1186‌ will Seamus use his shield thing to impose disadvantage?

• Options
    @denada He seems a decent enough guy, I think so.

Seamus sees the beast leaping at Tal, and attempts to intervene with his shield.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    C'mon, baby! Daddy needs his brain.

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Intelligence.

Edit: But not THAT much, apparently.

Intelligence:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]

mallenellam on
  • Options