Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

1161719212224

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    As Seamus blocks the intellect devourer from attacking Tal's flesh, the monster focuses more intently on Tal's mind. A second later he's on the ground, a hollow look in his eyes and a stiffness in his body that makes you think maybe his brain is about to be eaten.

    I1 does a whopping 4 psychic damage to Tal, but the important thing is that it also reduces Tal's Intelligence score to 0, and Tal is now Stunned until he gets a point of Int back.

    After that little display, Sophia takes a shot at Halath with her shortbow, but the shot goes wide. Muttering a twisted word of encouragement to the conscious intellect devourer, she then takes to cover.

    Sophia attacks Halath with her shortbow, but misses. She then uses Bardic Inspiration as a bonus action on I1. Finally, she moves to N10.

    enc07-round1b.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13
    Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 23/23; AC 18
    Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16
    Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 17/21; AC 14
    Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16
    Status: Mage Armor active.
    Intellect Devourer 1 - HP 20/24; AC 12
    Status: Inspired (1d6).
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14
    Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 46/46; AC 20
    Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18
    Status: Normal.
    Intellect Devourer 2 - HP 14/21; AC 12
    Status: Unconscious (10/10).
    Mind Flayer - HP 63/63; AC 15
    Status: Focused (3/3).

    @silence1186‌ is up.

    Denada on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    If I roleplay really well, would my Warhammer be an effective implement for helping Tal recover some intelligence? I mean, my mom always slapped me in the back of the head to smarten me up. Maybe it'd work on Tal?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That depends. Is your warhammer a Wish spell?

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    A 9th level Cleric with Greater Restoration can fix it...

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    That depends. Is your warhammer a Wish spell?

    I wish it was. Does that count?

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Nealneal wrote: »
    A 9th level Cleric with Greater Restoration can fix it...

    So what I'm hearing is "nice knowing you Tal, hopefully you don't kill us too quickly after your brain is eaten."

    Speaking of Tal, @denada rules question: Do the arrows fired by Tal's +1 bow count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance? Or do they only boost the attack and damage bonus of normal arrows?

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    No rules either way that I can find.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought someone else had the +1 weapon. I'll adjust the HP.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Seamus mutters a prayer under his breath for the recently departed Tal, and then shouts to Lakor (@am0n) "I can't leave that poor girl to be eaten, so I leave it up to you to finish up the beast before it feasts on Tal!"

    Seamus becomes a whirlwind of Arcane devastation, launching several volleys of missiles at the brain that just killed Tal, but diverting some to the illithid in the back to attempt to break its concentration from its meal.

    Activate Action Surge, giving me two actions this turn. Use both actions to cast Magic Missile, targeting five missiles at I1, and one missile at the Mind Flayer in the back.

    Geth roll 5d4+5 for Force damage vs Intellect Devourer 1

    Geth roll 1d4+1 for Force damage vs Mind Flayer

    E: hooray for statistically expected values just barely killing the monster!

    Force damage vs Intellect Devourer 1:
    5d4+5 17 [5d4=2, 2, 4, 3, 1]
    Force damage vs Mind Flayer:
    1d4+1 3 [1d4=2]

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @denada I was so excited to Action Surge, I forgot to move. I'd like to move to J7, if it's ok with you

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Elvenshae
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @am0n You're up, apparently putting your name in parentheses messed up the notification.

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Yeah, I probably missed it because I am subscribed to the DA thread and that things just been moving like wildfire, so I didn't see any barrowtown notifications.

    @Denada It looks like I1 is still alive, yes? Had 20 HP and then Seamus did 17?


  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Yeah, I probably missed it because I am subscribed to the DA thread and that things just been moving like wildfire, so I didn't see any barrowtown notifications.

    @Denada It looks like I1 is still alive, yes? Had 20 HP and then Seamus did 17?


    I was working under the assumption that Tal's +1 bow counted as magical, and thus did not do 1/2 damage (i.e. did 8 damage instead of 4), thus ID1 being at 16 before it ate 17 from Magic Missile.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Geth
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah I1 is dead. I forgot that Tal's bow is magic so it did the full 8 damage instead of 4.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I can't find a Charge attack in the basic rules. Is there none?

    Lakor nods. Pulling his warhammer close, he concentrates fiercely on the remaining intellect devourer. Suddenly, a beam of radiant light crashes down from the ceiling, illuminating and searing the creature, turning it to ash. Lakor then moves in front of Tal, hoping to defend his helpless friend from any onslaught.

    Lakor casts Guiding Bolt versus ID2 then moves in front of Tal.
    Geth roll 1d20+5;4d6 for Guiding Bolt Attack;Guiding Bolt Damage

    Edit: I was hoping for average and I got it!
    P.S. Lakor is down to 1/4, 1/3 spells for the day. I'll try to save those for healing type stuff. I also have my channel divinity, but that requires people are bloodied.

    Guiding Bolt Attack;Guiding Bolt Damage:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    4d6 14 [4d6=3, 6, 3, 2]

    am0n on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    For those of you keeping score at home, it's Dwarves: 2, Evil Brains: 1, Elves: 0

    E: Charge attack is a feat, I believe, am0n

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    am0n
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Going to update in a bit. @mallenellam‌ I'll give you full control of Rhyna while Tal is a vegetable if you'd like.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    On its turn, the Mind Flayer just continues doing whatever it's doing, although it is slightly less focused on that task than it was before.

    Round 2

    With the hideous brain-eating brain-monsters lying in brain-shaped piles on the ground, there are only three active targets left. Who will you go after first: your former companions, or their evil overlord?

    enc07-round2.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 23/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 17/21; AC 14 - Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 46/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 60/63; AC 15 - Status: Focused (2/3).

    @Melding‌ is up.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Jelenneth takes a deep breath, slightly regretful as she raises a hand a bolt of lightning heading right for the cleric.

    Casting the witch bolt at Theresa.

    Geth roll 1d20+5;1d12 for witch bold and lightning damage.

    Here's hopeing!

    next up @Denada

    witch bold and lightning damage:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    1d12 6 [1d12=6]

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Do we want to focus the Mind Flayer in hopes it somehow releases the old PCs? Or just kill everything?

  • mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    As a recently impaired PC, I vote for number 1.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I figured denying the mind flayer as many allies as we can would be the best of ideas, but if you want to just rush him I'm cool with that too.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I think the former allies are less dangerous than the brains inside of them, which might pop out once the former allies go down. I think we should focus fire a former ally until it's one hit away from dying, and then delay the initiatives in a turn so that the first party member can finish off a former ally, and then the other four can burst down the brain. Otherwise, we'll be picked off one by one by the save or die attack.

    I suspect the Mindflayer won't pay us heed until it's finished its lunch. That said, in character I'm strongly for bumrushing the Mindflayer. Let's do this 8-)

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Yeah, my character would prefer to ignore the former allies and focus the Mind Flayer. That whole beat down evil and save the helpless thing. So not sure he would subscribe to the "kill their former allies" newsletter. =P

    I was just throwing it out there, I guess.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Theresa barely notices the bolt of magic energy whizzing past her as she reaches a hand out to Seamus. The touch is infused with magic of her own, and Seamus feels intense pain deep within his body.

    Theresa casts Inflict Wounds as a 2nd level spell against Seamus, hitting for 24 necrotic damage. She then moves to J8.

    enc07-round2b.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 23/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 17/21; AC 14 - Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 60/63; AC 15 - Status: Focused (2/3).

    @mallenellam‌ is up as Rhyna.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Damn you statistical outlier! Maybe we should kill the former allies first, I don't think we could kill the Mindflayer with them wailing on us from behind.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Rhyna, clearly upset at the stunning passing of her master, charges the illithid.

    She uses a dash action moving 80 ft. directly at the mind flayer.

    @Nealneal‌

    mallenellam on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath, clearly heartbroken by the mindwiping of Tal, steps over to his twitching body, takes the magic longbow and moves to hide from the mind flayer behind a column.

    Move to J2, take Tal's bow.
    Move to H4, use Cunning Action to Hide
    Geth roll 1d20+5 to Hide from the Mind Flayer
    @Denada‌, I'll finish my turn after the Mind Flayer sees or doesn't see me.

    to Hide from the Mind Flayer:
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The mind flayer doesn't give any indication that it's paying any attention to any of you whatsoever.

    In game terms you are successfully hiding from the mind flayer.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Halath steps from behind the pillar an looses an arrow at the foul squid...man...thing.

    Move to J4
    Geth roll 2d20k1+6 for Testing my new bow
    Geth roll 1d8+2d6+4 for Damage

    Testing my new bow:
    2d20k1+6 26 [2d20k1=[20], 4]
    Damage:
    1d8+2d6+4 18 [1d8=5] [2d6=3, 6]

    Nealneal on
    Elvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular

    Geth roll 1d8+2d6 for Crit Damage

    Crit Damage:
    1d8+2d6 14 [1d8=8] [2d6=2, 4]

    Elvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    That's a good test. Do it some more. =P

    Nealnealsilence1186Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That last hit is enough to break the mind flayer's concentration. It lifts its face tentacles from the girl's head and glares at the five of you, and you hear a foul voice in your heads speaking an unknown language. It is painful to comprehend, but you get the idea that this creature very much wants to kill you and feed your brains to the dogs. In this case those dogs are probably the intellect devourers.

    Anywho, Sophia isn't just going to stand there and watch you mess with her favorite evil overlord. She emerges from her place behind the column, then utters an arcane incantation in Halath's direction.

    Sophia moves to M9 then casts Hold Person on Halath. @Nealneal‌ go ahead and make a Wisdom save before I continue with Sophia's turn.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

    Geth roll 1d20 for Resisting Sophia's wiles...

    Nope...not resisting today.

    Resisting Sophia's wiles:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

    Nealneal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Woo you're paralyzed!

    After paralyzing Halath, Sophia gets back behind cover. She may not have a brain anymore, but she's not stupid.

    Sophia moves to O12.

    enc07-round2c.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 23/23; AC 18 - Status: Normalish.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 17/21; AC 14 - Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active. Paralyzed (Wis save DC 10 at end of turn, 10/10).
    Sophia - HP 20/20; AC 14 - Status: Normalish.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: Normal.
    Lakor - HP 40/40; AC 18 - Status: Normal.
    Mind Flayer - HP 28/63; AC 15 - Status: Kinda pissed but that isn't a status condition.

    @silence1186‌ is up.

    Elvenshaeam0n
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "Hmm, I was tempted to say things were looking up, but on the level I'd say things are still lookin' mighty bad for us." Seamus takes a moment to catch his breath after the cleric's lucky attack. He then moves towards the Mind Flayer, and fires another volley of Magic Missiles at the illithid.

    Activate Second Wind as a bonus action. Move to K12. @Denada AoO? Cast Magic Missile on the Mind flayer. @am0n is up next
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Second Wind HP recovery
    Geth roll 3d4+3 for Force damage vs. Mind flayer

    Second Wind HP recovery:
    1d10+4 8 [1d10=4]
    Force damage vs. Mind flayer:
    3d4+3 7 [3d4=1, 2, 1]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Theresa's OA misses.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Lakor summons a flame to burn the Mind Flayer.

    Lakor curses his short, stubby legs.

    Seeing another of his companions neutralized, Lakor moves forward to engage the mind-warped human. With a swift swing of his Warhammer, he aims to knock the wind out of the human.

    Sadly, my cantrip only has a range of 60 feet, so I can't get the Mind Flayer this round. Maybe next round. You guys finish it off for us!

    Lakor moves forward to engage Th.

    Geth roll 1d20+4;1d8+2 for MBA Attack;MBA Damage

    MBA Attack;MBA Damage:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The mind flayer takes a step down toward you, and with a flick of his tentacles emits a blast of psychic energy at Seamus and Rhyna.

    @silence1186‌ and @mallenellam‌ make Intelligence saves please. Rhyna's Int is -4 if you didn't have that handy.

Sign In or Register to comment.