Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

11819212324

Posts

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    So Seamus is holding a brain-shaped ham monster, and a brain-shaped, ham monster just popped out of Theresa's head. Since I can't find it anywhere...there doesn't seem to be any negatives for me shooting Seamus's ham. Since it is definitely within 5 ft of an ally I would get my Sneak Attack Damage right? I wonder if you can hide from an eyeless brain-ham? So many questions @Denada.‌

    The only thing I would point out is that firing a ranged weapon into melee (I'm pretty sure) has the chance of hitting an ally if you crit fail.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    @discrider where does it say that? I don't see that anywhere in the basic rules.

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    What terrible things, if any, happen on a natural 1 always seemed to me like something totally up to the DM's discretion and mood.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are no rules for shooting into melee, hence why I am full of questions.

    Geth
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yes, you can get your Sneak Attack damage because it's next to an ally.

    If Halath is farther than 60 feet (12 squares) from the intellect devourer he would be considered an unseen attacker and would have advantage on his attack(s).

    By RAW, rolling a 1 is just an automatic miss. No other adverse effects.

    Firing into a melee has no special rules attached to it that I can find.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath moves into position and takes a shot at the monster in Seamus's hands. He looses an arrow and...
    Move to C5 to get line of sight.
    Geth roll 2d20k1+6 for Attack vs Intellect Devourer 3
    Geth roll 1d8+2d6+4 for Damage

    Attack vs Intellect Devourer 3:
    2d20k1+6 26 [2d20k1=[20], 19]
    Damage:
    1d8+2d6+4 21 [1d8=5] [2d6=6, 6]

    am0n
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    ...skewers the foul abomination with a well placed shot.
    Yay...I'm rolling crit damage even though I don't need to just because..
    geth roll 1d8+2d6 for Crit Sauce on the Brain Ham

    Crit Sauce:
    1d8+2d6 7 [1d8=5] [2d6=1, 1]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Ugh...@silence1186‌ and @denada to check my work.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You need to be farther away to get advantage (if being outside blindsight range was your only source of advantage). You're at exactly 12 squares and you need to be at 13+. But the 20 was your first roll anyway so you got lucky.

    I3 is dead.

    @silence1186‌ is up.

    NealnealElvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damn my eyes and tiny phone screen! I miscounted squares!

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Better lucky than good, I always say. So the only way we survive this fight is if Halath crits for 30 damage a round. Makes sense.

    Lakor's Spirit Hammer can't reach the last ID anyway, so I'm going to attempt to finish off the Mind Flayer rather than make a pittance attack against ID4. If I don't finish it off the Mind Flayer, @am0n hopefully can with his Bonus Action.


    As the ham sized brain monster in Seamus's hand turns into an explosion of meat and organ from Halath's well placed arrow, Seamus turns his attention to the beast's dark master, lying helpless on the floor. He steps over closer to his dwarven ally, drops his shield (AC 18 until I pick it up) and pulls out a pair of hand axes with which to butcher the sleeping illithid.

    Move to M14. Take the Attack action and make an off hand attack as a bonus action against the Mind Flayer.

    Geth roll 2#2d20k1+5 for Two hand axe attacks against Mind Flayer
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Main hand auto-crit slashing damage
    Geth roll 1d6 for Off hand slashing damage

    Two hand axe attacks against Mind Flayer:
    2#2d20k1+5 2 # 23 [2d20k1=[18], 7] 25 [2d20k1=[20], 1]
    Main hand auto-crit slashing damage:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=3, 5]
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    NealnealElvenshae
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    "HA! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT STOUTSTUFF, MONSTER!" Seamus bellows.

    Geth roll 1d6 for overkill crit slashing damage against Mind Flayer

    overkill crit slashing damage against Mind Flayer:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

    silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    NealnealElvenshae
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Can Geth not state more than two die roll messages in a post?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    There are text commands that Geth doens't like, and causes him to not print stuff. Things like "lock," "against," and, apparently, "Off".

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    am0n
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah Geth has some rules about what it will and won't parse as roll descriptions. I don't know them and sometimes they work in unexpected ways.

    But hey the mind flayer is dead, so you've got that going for you.

    @am0n‌ is up.

    ElvenshaeNealnealsilence1186
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Rolling up his (scale) sleeves, Lakor readies himself. "Ye want a piece of this, do ye?" And with that, brings his Warhammer down straight for the pile of brain matter.

    Move Spiritual Weapon to M14. Lakor makes a Melee Basic Attack against ID4.

    Geth roll 1d20+4; 1d8+2 for Melee Basic Attack;Melee Basic Damage

    am0n on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

    Geth roll 1d20+4;1d8+2 for MBA;Damage
    Let's try this again.

    @Melding‌

    MBA;Damage:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

    am0n on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Jelenneth blinks, things have suddenly turned. And she had very little to do with it. Well, wizards can't solve every problem, she assures her wounded ego as she lets loose a ray of frost at the last Brain Ham.

    move to M7, cast ray of frost at brain ham 4

    geth roll 1d20+5;1d8

    and back to you @Denada

    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    am0n wrote: »
    @discrider where does it say that? I don't see that anywhere in the basic rules.

    Not sure. I swear I've seen it somewhere though. It was probably something like a feat that stops it and thus implies it.
    Can't see it in the basic rules though.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Round 6

    The remaining intellect devourer is getting desperate, so it does the same thing that it was doing before, shuffling around a bit to use its target as cover. This time, the monster's efforts pay off. Lakor drops to the floor, a blank expression on his face.

    I4 uses Multiattack to attack Lakor with Claws and Devour Intellect. The claws hit for 7 slashing damage.

    Minion, roll 1d20+1 for Lakor's Int save.

    Post-roll: Lakor takes 7 psychic damage and his Intelligence is reduced to 0. He is now stunned until he recovers a point of Int.

    enc07-round6.jpg

    Jelenneth - HP 27/27; AC 13 - Status: Normal.
    Intellect Devourer 4 - HP 11/21; AC 12 - Status: Speed reduced by 10. Half cover from targets on opposite side of Lakor.
    Tal - HP 25/40; AC 16 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.
    Rhyna - HP 0/21; AC 14 - Status: Stabilized.
    Halath - HP 27/30; AC 16 - Status: Mage Armor active.
    Seamus - HP 22/46; AC 20 - Status: AC 18 (while shield is dropped).
    Lakor - HP 13/40; AC 18 - Status: Int 0. Stunned.

    @Nealneal‌ is up.

    Lakor's Int save:
    1d20+1 11 [1d20=10]

    Denada on
    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Hey @mallenellam‌ , you have someone to drool with in the corner now!

  • mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Seems like the 'in' thing to do.

    mallenellam on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ugh, if we wipe to the last Intellect Devourer I will be very cross. Very cross indeed!

    Try to maneuver somewhere out of range of of the intellect devourer (45 ft away or further), but still in line of sight so it doesn't get cover?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I'm going to spend one of my final two spell slots (I keep forgetting I have 4) to Sleep it.
    Halath dashes across the room, digging out another pinch of dust from his component pouch. Whispering quietly, "Sleep you foul thing, sleep now until you die."

    Move to I6
    Use Cunning Action to Dash to P9
    Cast Sleep
    Geth roll 5d8 for Sleepy Times

    Sleepy Times:
    5d8 29 [5d8=7, 4, 7, 4, 7]

    Elvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I think that will catch Lakor too, but being asleep while stunned doesn't make you drool any less.
    Halath looks to his two remaining companions and says, "Don't touch it. Let me finish it. For my friends."

    am0n
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    @denada Do we want to drop out of turns now? or are there more awful things in store for us?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Well you sort of have four slots, but one of them is from your Magic Initiate feat. I'm assuming you chose Mage Armor for that, leaving you with one level one spell slot for this last Sleep spell. Ultimately this doesn't make any difference for your turn, soooo...

    The poor, innocent little brain-monster slumps down next to Lakor. It dreams of dwarven strongholds and warm hearths. It dreams of stout beers and excellent construction techniques. At least for the moment, it's in another place and time, wandering through memories that are not its own.

    You may proceed to kill it in whatever fashion you see fit. I think this combat is good and done.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "Well, normally I am excited when i survive a battle, but this doesn't really seem like one we should celebrate."

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I think we deserve some victory fanfare. Hoo boy. We're out of combat, or finishing it is a formality, yes?

    Seamus spits on the ground. "Eating people's brains. Of all the foul things to do. Good riddance. Well, we've quite a number of casualties to tend to." Seamus wanders over to the erect table on the altar, and checks the condition of the girl strapped to it. "Are ye alright, lass?"

    So we need to collect the bodies of our two stunned comrades, the brainless corpses of the former comrades, the stable body of the mastiff, and check on this girl as well. We have our work cut out for us.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Nealneal
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I was looking at Spells Known, not slots. I thought to myself "I thought I only had one more slot, oh well no reason to not cast it now!" Still, glad most of us made it out without our brains leaking out of our ears.

    Halath steps forward, draws back an arrow and looses it straight into the grotesque thing at his feet.
    "Sweet dreams."

    Geth roll 2d20k1+6 for Shooting the brain
    Geth roll 2d8+4d6+4 for Auto-crit damage

    Shooting the brain:
    2d20k1+6 20 [2d20k1=[14], 2]
    Auto-crit damage:
    2d8+4d6+4 29 [2d8=7, 2] [4d6=5, 6, 3, 2]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    His friends avenged, sort of, Halath looks for the poor child who was being attended to by the mind flayer. Is she still there when everything else disappears into smoke?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    According to the encounter building rules that was a 13,375 Difficulty Point encounter, equivalent to 5.35 Deadly encounters for a party of your level and size. So considering you got through with only two party members that are not even technically dead, I'd say yes, you did well.

    The girl is alive, but unconscious. Her body is covered in sweat, and you can see red splotches on her head where the mind flayer was ... doing whatever it was doing. She appears stable enough to move if you can figure out a way to carry her, but trying to wake her up may be more than she can handle right now.

    As for everything else, it remains as it is. The mind flayer and intellect devourers stay right where they are, defying your expectations of purple smoke. It appears that everything here is very real. You have a sinking suspicion that that includes the multitude of eggs that you saw earlier.

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    But the 20 was your first roll anyway so you got lucky.

    FYI there is no "first" since there are two rolls, and the 20 is shown first because it was the highest and kept. You always get them in descending order (or ascending, for keep lowest).

    It is the same as rolling two d20s on a table, there isn't any one you can count as being the solo die unless you designate and agree to it beforehand, and no way to do that on the roller online. You'd have to reroll for a fair result as, for example, there was a 20 and a 1 rolled and you can't just choose one to be the "real" roll after the fact.

    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    That's a lot of Difficulty Points.

    silence1186
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking we should lay the bodies in a corner away from the door, post a watch (each elf can do half of it), and take a long rest. There's no way we can carry five bodies out of here without a healer or spells for the rest of the day.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    But the 20 was your first roll anyway so you got lucky.

    FYI there is no "first" since there are two rolls, and the 20 is shown first because it was the highest and kept. You always get them in descending order (or ascending, for keep lowest).

    It is the same as rolling two d20s on a table, there isn't any one you can count as being the solo die unless you designate and agree to it beforehand, and no way to do that on the roller online. You'd have to reroll for a fair result as, for example, there was a 20 and a 1 rolled and you can't just choose one to be the "real" roll after the fact.

    Oh! That's good to know.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "I can take first watch if we want to try to rest up a little. I would certainly relish the chance to prepare some more spells."

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Jelenneth does another look around to see if there's any more magics around, not ready to beleive something they actually managed to kill was the source.



    geth roll 1d20+3 for arcana check

    arcana check:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Seamus takes the unconscious girl down from the table, and lays her gently in the northeast corner of the room. "Alright, let's have a look around."

    Seamus checks the corpse of the Mind Flayer for anything of note, and glances around the room to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Seamus's Perception

    Seamus's Perception:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath helps by moving the twitching bodies of Tal, Rhyna,and Lakor, slowly, to the corner with the girl. After he does so he also takes a closer look around.


    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

Sign In or Register to comment.