As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Things like Chrono Trigger I get. They need to work with other companies for that which is a hassle. Even RPGs they need to play test to make sure the emulation works right, so I get that takes longer than a game with 3 screens to it :p

What I don't get is how we still don't have Pokemon TCG that Europe got almost a month ago now. Yes I am still bitter :)

But I do think they need to cool it with the trickle releases. What is the worst that can happen I'd you miss an emulation glitch? You have to patch the thing? Oh noes!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    DS emulation is perfect and automatic, and they just need to drop the rom on the freaking store.
    And Squeenix loves to put their games anywhere, just check how many SNES and PSOne and DS games they put on iOS, PSN and Android...

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    They won't do DS on 3DS while they are still trying to use it as a n incentive for people to buy Wii U's. Pretty sure that one is pure marketing.

GBA is just because 3DS isn't powerful enough to do it without disabling sleep mode, street pass, etc. This is technically true for DS as well but 3DS is already backwards compatible so they have less cause to use it as an excuse there - esp when they sell DSiWare in the eShop.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    After nearly 8 years of the Virtual Console service, I've completely abandoned any hope that they'll ever get it truly right.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    After nearly 8 years of the Virtual Console service, I've completely abandoned any hope that they'll ever get it truly right.

I agree, and it makes me really sad. Nintendo has a catalog of games that no one can match. For them to piss away an opportunity to take advantage of this for who knows what reason just sucks.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Things like Chrono Trigger I get. They need to work with other companies for that which is a hassle. Even RPGs they need to play test to make sure the emulation works right, so I get that takes longer than a game with 3 screens to it :p

What I don't get is how we still don't have Pokemon TCG that Europe got almost a month ago now. Yes I am still bitter :)

But I do think they need to cool it with the trickle releases. What is the worst that can happen I'd you miss an emulation glitch? You have to patch the thing? Oh noes!

Check out @TheJWittz's Tweet:

yboZrl8.jpg

Speaking of Pokémon TCG...

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I will get this for sure.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What is the worst that can happen I'd you miss an emulation glitch? You have to patch the thing? Oh noes!

Worst case is that it breaks the system security wide open, like what happened with the Wii.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    What is the worst that can happen I'd you miss an emulation glitch? You have to patch the thing? Oh noes!

Worst case is that it breaks the system security wide open, like what happened with the Wii.

Well the only way to ensure security is never compromised is to never release any software ever.

• Options

They're handling this issue pretty well on the vita.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Well the only way to ensure security is never compromised is to never release any software ever.

Don't give them ideas. They're probably reading all of Dover's threads now to keep tabs on him.

• Options

I don't see how this is possible, since they already have the emulators for each system done and thoroughly tested (that is, each currently available system anyways). You can't expose security holes by loading a different rom into an existing emulator. Worst case is you might have some emulation glitches. And frankly anything already out in Japan shouldn't run significantly different just because it's translated into English (Europe I get with their whole "PAL" thing). Those roms should be 99% the same.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Pokemon TCGO on the iPad sounds like a winning combination. Nintendo should also make it work with the WiiU pad, though, because that would be pretty cool, too. Like a new version of the GBC Pokemon Trading Card Game.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wish it would come to NA on the 3ds though

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    PAL update (week of August 21):

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Adventures of Lolo (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Double Dragon 2: The Revenge (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Balloon Fight (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Donkey Kong 3 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Metroid (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    NES Open Tournament Golf (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Pinball (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Wrecking Crew (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 21
    Mega Man (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 2 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 3 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 4 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 5 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 6 (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Pac-Man (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Punch-Out!! (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Super Punch-Out!! (Wii U VC) - €3.99 / £2.74 until August 21
    Wii Fit U (Wii U) - €24.99 / £20.99 until August 21
    Wii Party U (Wii U) - €31.99 / £24.99 until August 21
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U) - €6.79 / £5.49 until August 21
    Blok Drop U (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 21
    Disney Planes (Wii U) - €19.99 / £17.49 until August 21
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €0.49 / £0.44 for owners of Unepic until August 21
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £7.64 for owners of Abyss until August 21
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.79 until August 21
    Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Assassin's Creed 4 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Just Dance 2014 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Smurfs 2 (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until August 28
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    ZombiU (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £3.49 until August 28
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 from August 21-September 11
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 from August 21-September 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS

Tomodachi Life (demo)
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE (demo)

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Mega Man IV (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - €27.99 / £24.49 until August 21
    Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS) - €24.99 / £20.99 until August 21
    Tomodachi Life (3DS) - €31.99 / £27.99 until August 21
    Mega Man (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 2 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 3 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 4 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 5 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Mega Man 6 (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Pac-Man (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Punch-Out!! (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 21
    Disney Planes (3DS) - €14.99 / £13.49 until August 21
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until August 21
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until August 28
    Hotel Transylvania (3DS eShop) - €12.99 / £9.99 until August 21
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival (3DS) - €19.95 / £17.99 from August 21-September 5
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 from August 21-September 11
    Van Helsing Sniper ZX100 (3DS) - €2.69 / £2.69 from August 21-September 24

Note that the Smash Bros Veteran sale will also go live this week, but they haven't announced any details yet.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Yea, it's the same problem I have with the fact that PSN still doesn't have BoFIII and Suikoden II.

I hate when games I really want don't appear. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoLVeFldw0

I think everyone needs to jump to 7:00 and watch these people desperately try and act entertained by Donkey Kong Jr. Math

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoLVeFldw0

I think everyone needs to jump to 7:00 and watch these people desperately try and act entertained by Donkey Kong Jr. Math

Oh man, my entertainment for tonight. It's always fun watching today's youth sucking horribly at old games ;) Though I don't hold it against them, at least they try :)

Edit: Wow, Krysta finally found a game she's pretty good at. Too bad it's DK Jr Math :D

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Having download play for Dodgeball is awesome, sort of makes me tempted to pick it up. :P

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Bve9fUOIEAAUh05.jpg:large

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hrm. Maybe I should get Fire Emb... oh, EU. Nevermind.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No NA? Looks like I gotta talk to someone at work today. ;)
    As if I know anyone to talk to. :(

Although I did apply for an eShop position. Still haven't heard back yet.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Yea, it's the same problem I have with the fact that PSN still doesn't have BoFIII and Suikoden II.

PSN is still infinitely superior to the eShop in any possible way. Even with all the very serious issues.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    As soon as I buy an eshop card tomorrow, I'm buying Fire Emblem: Awakening. I can't pass up a sale on a game I've wanted for ages.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Why does Europe get all the best stuff?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There's still hope we'll get it here -- our eshop isn't updated until tomorrow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    As soon as I buy an eshop card tomorrow, I'm buying Fire Emblem: Awakening. I can't pass up a sale on a game I've wanted for ages.

It's more than worth full price, don't miss it on a sale!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

PSN is still infinitely superior to the eShop in any possible way. Even with all the very serious issues.

Meh, they are about even for me. Navigation is pretty bad for both, and both can be slow as molasses.

On the positive side, both have fantastic back libraries of previous systems and both have a pretty great selection of standalone games.

(now to be fair, I'm comparing PSN to the Eshop and Wii VC/WiiWare system. If you are just comparing PSN to WiiU shop, it's not quite fair since one has been around 6+ years and one hasn't.)

But yea, they are both great places to buy some amazing games new and old.

Fake Edit: Both however do have their major hangups. The Wii allowed you to transfer your previously bought games to the WiiU and you can still buy WiiWare/VC games and play them on the WiiU as the shops are still active, but to do so you have to go through the extra boring step of going into 'Wii Mode.' PSN games for PS3 can't be transferred or redownloaded to play on a PS4. Hopefully both of these issues will be fixed at some point in the future via update.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Web psn store/vita store Vs. 3DS eShop.
    I don't have a WiiU
    And well, the Wii shop had six years and it was the bottom of the barrel the whole time through.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I can't wait till Nintendo implements the web store, because yea, that is definitely easier. The only thing I don't care for is the navigation can be confusing, but with the bottom categories they implemented, it's much easier.

Also I would argue that the Wii shop/VC is leagues better in terms of classic content, but that's just a personal thing. I liked the PS1/PS2, but the games are nowhere near the NES/SNES/Genesis eras for me as far as fun and replayability. So yea, that's just my personal preference. Regardless of preference though, calling it bottom of the barrel is hyperbole to a silly degree.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The Wii shop was really not bad for its time.

I loved that there weren't stupid ads all over the interface. You could easily click "show me all the Genesis games on here" and it would comply and it was pretty easy to browse through them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I loved that there weren't stupid ads all over the interface. You could easily click "show me all the Genesis games on here" and it would comply and it was pretty easy to browse through them.

This is probably the best way to put it.

And it was definitely the easiest to navigate because of the fact that you could look up the games based on console.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    People complain about the eShop interface frequently, and it is certainly not perfect by a long shot, but I've always felt that it strikes a pretty good balance between accessibility and content delivery. Designing a system like this is not as simple as it might seem.

As for content, the WiiU needs to start picking up some of the slack in the Virtual Console department, but Wii backwards compatibility does remedy this to a degree.

• Options

Well, it would comply. About two weeks later.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Download

Disney Infinity – For the first time, Disney Infinity is available in the Nintendo eShop – and it’s free to download. Enjoy online multiplayer and more fun ways to play. Use your Wii U GamePad controller to create your own worlds in the Toy Box or activate missions and unlock toys in Play Sets. With Disney Infinity, the possibilities are endless. (A Disney Infinity Figure and Base, sold separately, are required to play the downloadable version of the game.)

Midtown Crazy Race

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man 6
    Life Force

3DS Download

BlazBlue: Clone Phantasma
    Demon King Box

3DS Virtual Console

XtremeSports

eShop Sales

Abyss is 25 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $1.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 10 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
    Chasing Aurora is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Nano Assault Neo is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Boulder Dash-XL 3D is 66 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $1.69) until 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 27 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

European Conqueror 3D is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 4 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Aeternoblade is reduced from $14.99 to $9.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 7 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
    Nano Assault Ex is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Quell Reflect is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Aqua Moto Racing is 25 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $5.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 18 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Coming Soon

Donkey Kong Jr. Math – Aug. 28 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Aug. 29 (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    skeldare wrote: »
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Download

Disney Infinity – For the first time, Disney Infinity is available in the Nintendo eShop – and it’s free to download. Enjoy online multiplayer and more fun ways to play. Use your Wii U GamePad controller to create your own worlds in the Toy Box or activate missions and unlock toys in Play Sets. With Disney Infinity, the possibilities are endless. (A Disney Infinity Figure and Base, sold separately, are required to play the downloadable version of the game.)

Holy crap, I can't believe they made it free... Does this mean 2.0 will be free as well? (maybe I should get a physical version of that...)

Oh, and XtremeSports is a WayForward game. I don't know if it's any good, but... WayForward... (I suppose they did make Adventure Time ETDBIDK though so they aren't perfect... :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The game might be free but you don't get the figures, so...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    skeldare wrote: »
    The game might be free but you don't get the figures, so...

Right but I have the figures :P It's cool for me because I don't have the haul the damn disk out to play.

All-in-all, it makes sense to offer it for free, but I'm just surprised they actually did it :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Would be much cooler if they utilized the gamepad to allow you to put a single figure down. That way "free" users can still try out single-player Toybox mode, but they'd have to get the starter pack to be able to play 2-player and access the playsets.

As it stands, this is pretty useless unless either; a) you already own the starter pack but your kids lost/ruined your disc; or b) you just really hate swapping discs.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, without a base and figures the software is literally useless so may as well offer it for free.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.