As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    with it being free...I might be interested to see how much they sell the base by itself.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    As far as I know, they don't. At retail, I've only seen the base bundled with the game and figures.

EDIT: But I suppose this might mean they plan to release the base separately.

Dirty on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, so much for being optimistic the Euro sale would happen here. :(

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Yeah, if we had Mega Man on sale Id buy them all.

Again.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh shiet, I totally forgot about the Scram Kitty sale. Goddammit.

The free Disney Infinity download is just Nintendo's attempt at keeping Wii customers on their platform. 2.0 won't be coming out for the Wii, so Nintendo would rather give them a free download of the original game for Wii U so they don't pick up a PS4 or Xbox One to play 2.0 instead.
    Glendale, CA – August 21, 2014 – Disney Interactive is giving Disney Infinity (1.0 Edition) Wii gamers the chance to upgrade their play experience to Wii U free of charge, exclusively through the Nintendo eShop. Starting today, fans who own the Disney Infinity Starter Pack on Wii can download the Wii U version of the game from the Nintendo eShop, complete with multiplayer. The Disney Infinity base and figures are required to play on Wii U once downloaded.

The Wii U version of Disney Infinity utilizes the Wii U GamePad to create worlds in the Toy Box and share them online. Activate missions and unlock toys in Play Sets to discover Monsters University, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Incredibles in high definition. Play as Sulley in his early student days in the world of Monsters University, plunge into adventure as Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean, and activate the powers of Mr. Incredible on a quest to save the world from Syndrome and his super villains in The Incredibles Play Set.

“Disney Infinity launched one year ago, and in that time the number of Wii U players has significantly expanded,” said John Blackburn, Vice President and General Manager of Avalanche Software. “Given our commitment to compatibility for our players, we wanted existing Wii owners to be able to experience the Wii U version of the first game for free. With the upcoming launch of the 2.0 Edition of Disney Infinity we want all Nintendo players to experience the game’s Wii U functionality.”

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I bought Brickbuster U because it was 75% off and I had $1.08 sitting in my eShop wallet.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    So if I downlaod Disney Infinity for free on the Wii U I need to buy the base but if I buy the retail pack I can just use the Gamepad?

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    So if I downlaod Disney Infinity for free on the Wii U I need to buy the base but if I buy the retail pack I can just use the Gamepad?

No. The digital release is identical to the retail release. You will need an Infinity Base either way.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    with it being free...I might be interested to see how much they sell the base by itself.

Looks like $10 on eBay

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I think the whole starter pack is on sale at Target for $30. I think last year's Skylanders too.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I think the whole starter pack is on sale at Target for $30. I think last year's Skylanders too.

You'd be correct. Someone over at CheapassGamer said they were going to pick up the Playstation 3 version of the game at Target so they can get the trophies on the PS3 and then also have access to the Wii U version for free.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

You'd be correct. Someone over at CheapassGamer said they were going to pick up the Playstation 3 version of the game at Target so they can get the trophies on the PS3 and then also have access to the Wii U version for free.

I remember thinking achievements would never be a selling point for games. There are few things in life I was as horribly wrong about as that.

• Options
    For what its worth, I think achievements/trophies/whateverthefucktheyrecallednow are really dumb.

Just add that to the massive pile of "Upopular Opinions from maximumzero" over there.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    For what its worth, I think achievements/trophies/whateverthefucktheyrecallednow are really dumb.

Just add that to the massive pile of "Upopular Opinions from maximumzero" over there.

They extend the replay value of a game in exchange for making players do ridiculously hard and useless shit.

I am not doing a no-damage run on Mega Man 9 or 10, regardless of how much I like those two games. Just beating every boss with the Mega Buster is enough for me.

And look at me ranting about achievements after I completed all the challenges in Kid Icarus Uprising. To be fair, you are given feathers so that you don't have to do certain challenges if you feel they're too hard.

RockinX on
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

They extend the replay value of a game in exchange for making players do ridiculously hard and useless shit.

I am not doing a no-damage run on Mega Man 9 or 10, regardless of how much I like those two games. Just beating every boss with the Mega Buster is enough for me.

And look at me ranting about achievements after I completed all the challenges in Kid Icarus Uprising. To be fair, you are given feathers so that you don't have to do certain challenges if you feel they're too hard.

Eh, just because some trophies are hard and/or stupid, doesn't mean they all are. I mainly like the ones that track your progress through the game. I like having a general idea of how close I am to the end of the game (say a game has 10 hidden story-related trophies, and I have 8, I know I'm getting close). This is also pretty good data for the developers, as they can identify what parts of the game caused people to stop playing, and figure out how to do things better next time.

I don't really care about the e-peen side of it though.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I like cheevos that actually affect the game. Like ME1, where getting all the weapon/power cheevos would let you use one of those on a new character that couldn't normally use it. Cheevos that do this are few and far between, however.

So largely I'm indifferent. If I see one that looks interesting, I might go for it, but largely I just don't care.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I want to see an RPG where your stats and abilities are entirely achievement-based. Sort of like how the Tony Hawk Underground games worked, except ridiculously over the top.

• Options
    I booted up my 360 for the first time in forever to delete my profile and stuff so I can sell it. I have something in the range of 9k points out of a possible 53,900 points.

Definitely not something I care about. (Number is kind of high because my 360 was college dorm days where my roommates and I would swap games all the time to try them out to avoid downloading demos on our 7 gig internet cap.)

And Nintendo's stamp system is a little neater to me, but I still don't have the drive to find out which racers I haven't finished a prix with in Mario Kart 8.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I don't particularly like the stamp system, they're hard to track (though that's mostly the game design's fault) and not really worth that much to me. I prefer the sort of system Sakurai has going, where you have a huge wall of achievements and get hints for them based on which ones you've already cleared.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Damn, Disney Infinity is like 10gb. Good excuse to finally hook up my external HD I guess, but is there no way to install directly to it from the eShop? It made me clear out a bunch of room on the internal flash drive so it could download. You'd think I could just say "Download to the USB drive instead" since now I'm going to have to move it which takes forever -_-

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Damn, Disney Infinity is like 10gb. Good excuse to finally hook up my external HD I guess, but is there no way to install directly to it from the eShop? It made me clear out a bunch of room on the internal flash drive so it could download. You'd think I could just say "Download to the USB drive instead" since now I'm going to have to move it which takes forever -_-

It should automatically once you have the USB drive connected. At least I never had to set anything and it automatically downloads to the drive.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I think stamps could be a great achievement substitute if they were useable across all of Miiverse. But they aren't. So instead, they are fun, but pretty inconsequential.

I still made sure I got each of them in Mario kart 8, though.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Let me addendum my prior comment slightly: Achievements themselves aren't dumb, but the folks that treat them very seriously are.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It should automatically once you have the USB drive connected. At least I never had to set anything and it automatically downloads to the drive.

Weird. It was still telling me I didn't have free space. But I had no trouble moving stuff to the drive from the storage menu...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Let me addendum my prior comment slightly: Achievements themselves aren't dumb, but the folks that treat them very seriously are.

I would go further and define "treating them very seriously" as deciding to buy one console over another for the sake of achievements, or refusing to purchase a game because it doesn't feature achievements, or purchasing/playing a game just for the sake of earning an easy platinum or whatever.

I don't mind them, but they are a complete nonfactor. Right now I am 100%ing (as close as possible) Fallout 3 and plan on doing New Vegas afterward. Fallout 3 doesn't have achievements on Steam, New Vegas does. It's mildly cool to see what I had previously accomplished in New Vegas but I don't care at all that 3 isn't going to acknowledge the things I did. At the end I'll have a complete save if nothing else. Shrug.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I would go further and define "treating them very seriously" as deciding to buy one console over another for the sake of achievements, or refusing to purchase a game because it doesn't feature achievements, or purchasing/playing a game just for the sake of earning an easy platinum or whatever.

Well, that's what I was implying.

I remember a few folks refusing to buy or play any Wii games because they didn't feature an achievement system.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So Zexal is half price in the eShop. I wonder if I'm willing to toss twenty bucks at it even if it's a crippled version of the original - I rather like card games.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Suddenly whenever I refresh this page of this thread I get an Avast warning for a harmful webpage or file.

hxxp://www.nnidcard.com/idcard.php?type=3&style=1&name=skeldare&name2=1848-1663-9345

infection - URL:Mal

SKELDARE

WHAT DID YOU DO

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Edzepp's card link also pings in Avast. I wonder if there's something going on at the NNID card site.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Suddenly whenever I refresh this page of this thread I get an Avast warning for a harmful webpage or file.

hxxp://www.nnidcard.com/idcard.php?type=3&style=1&name=skeldare&name2=1848-1663-9345

infection - URL:Mal

SKELDARE

WHAT DID YOU DO

Currently on mobile so can't do anything but I guess I'll remove the card when I get home. Guess the site it's hosted on must be borked.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Download

SteamWorld Dig
    The Fall

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man X3
    Donkey Kong Jr. Math

3DS Retail

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (available Friday)

3DS Download

Azure Striker Gunvolt (available Friday)
    Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter
    Outback Pet Rescue 3D

eShop Sales

Select Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games from Capcom are now up to 60 percent off in the Nintendo eShop. This offer is valid until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 4.

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.95) from 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 3 through 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 24 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Soccer Up 3D is 71 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $1.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 17 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Price Reduction

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist is being reduced to $19.99 (from $39.99) starting Sept. 1 on Wii U.

Coming Soon

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight – Sept. 1 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
    Nobunaga’s Ambition – Sept. 4 (Virtual Console on Wii U)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    What an awesome week! Remember this week well when a dry spell comes through.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    They also put up pre-order for the two MK8 DLC packs coming out on the eShop as well.

Just got my second $5 credit from the digital deluxe promotion. Nintendo is so awesome, as most of the points I've earned have come from free games (Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario) from the MK8 promotion and Club Nintendo. I'm half surprised they didn't account for that, but also not surprised as it would have required special coding to probably not have it count and they don't seem too interested in doing anything difficult digitally. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    my debate is do I want to get Shin Megami Tensei IV and Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
    or get Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Since the first two go off sale on Monday I just don't know

• Options
    Ends 9/4 at Noon ET:

Wii U:
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - $14.99 -> $6.75
    DuckTales: Remastered - $14.99 -> $7.49
    Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate - $39.99 -> $15.99
    Resident Evil® Revelations - $49.99 -> $19.99
    Street Fighter™ II: The World Warrior - $7.99 -> $4.99
    Super Street Fighter™ II: The New Challengers - $7.99 -> $4.99
    Street Fighter™ II’ Turbo: Hyper Fighting - $7.99 -> $4.99
    Street Fighter™ Alpha 2 - $7.99 -> $4.99

3DS:
    Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® - Dual Destinies - $29.99 -> $17.99
    Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate - $39.99 -> $19.99
    Resident Evil® Revelations - $19.99 -> $8.99
    Resident Evil® Mercenaries 3D - $19.99 -> $8.99
    Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition - $19.99 -> $9.99

I will be picking up Monster Hunter Ultimate when I get home.

I got SSF2 a while back, don't see any reason to pick up the others.

• Options
    Ducktales will forever be the bane of my existence.

That being said, on the Wii U, I might get around to finally buying the D&D arcade title. I already have the retail release of MH3U, and I have the 3DS version of Revelations. (And I heard the console version of RE:R has some control issues anyway.)

No interest in any Street Fighter titles, on either platforms.

I might nab Mercenaries 3D though. $9 doesn't seem too bad for the game.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Wow, that's a hell of a deal on Ace Attorney. It's also fortuitous timing for my Labor Day road trip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I was always kind of intrigued by Chronicles of Mystara, but I don't remember ever seeing it cheap, so I'll probably give that a go.

I'm on the fence about splurging on Duck Tales. I could probably get it cheaper on Steam if I keep waiting...

$16 for MH3U multiplayer might have been tempting six months ago, but I think that window has probably expired for me (I have the 3DS version).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I was always kind of intrigued by Chronicles of Mystara, but I don't remember ever seeing it cheap, so I'll probably give that a go.

It's awesome, I highly recommend it. Best with multiple players obviously. For being a beat em up, it has a surprising amount of depth in the choices you can make, the stages you end up playing, the bosses you fight. It's very replayable. Tons of items to collect if for no other reason than achievements, some really tough to engineer the circumstances for them to appear. Some really deeply buried secrets.

Here is a flowchart of just half of one of the games.

• Options
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't have my Monster Hunter yet. Come on, Nintendo.

This discussion has been closed.