Options

Ostgut [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

arrrgh I want to read this but I cannot handle black text on white webpages yet :(

I need a personal CSS coder to write Stylish plugins for all my favorite sites

Have you tried some readability site, or reader mode if your browser supports it?

I don't know what either of those is!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2014
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Have you tried some readability site, or reader mode if your browser supports it?

I don't know what either of those is!

It's basically a browser mode/extension (Safari supports it out of the box, Chrome has addons) that's designed for readability of longer articles by cleaning out all the cruft and leaving you with just the text.

edit: god, IE sucks. Here's a randomly googled Chrome extension.- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/read-mode/nagcaahojecfeopbghgihcabgiepploa

Echo on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    so tired. need more sleep.

damnit work.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There's also https://www.readability.com/

It probably supports themes to find something that works.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    "Courageous, creative and sincere in all our efforts" - It has taken two years to find a company with a worse slogan than the one we used to have

Mojo Science Inc

"We won't fuck it up"
    "Fuck me that's expensive"

"Innovation at any cost"

"Marginal competence, minimal ethics"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh

All modern browsers support text scaling. I use it when I am not wearing my glasses and a website decides to be too blurry for me.

Try it.

Hold down Ctrl and press the +/- keys. Press Ctrl+0 to return to 100% zoom from anywhere. Chrome will pop up some indicators to show you are in zoom text mode, dunno about IE.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    "Courageous, creative and sincere in all our efforts" - It has taken two years to find a company with a worse slogan than the one we used to have

Mojo Science Inc

"We won't fuck it up"
    "Fuck me that's expensive"

"Innovation at any cost"

"Marginal competence, minimal ethics"

well, i'd hire you

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    A town in NZ used to have a slogan along the lines of "Whatever it takes"

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    ‘We only sought damages from RTE after they refused to apologise over claim of homophobia’

Irish Times columnist Breda O’Brien has stated that she and other members of the Iona Institute sought libel damages after RTE refused to apologise.

In an article in today’s Irish Times newspaper, Ms O’Brien said she was not remotely interested in money but agreed to accept damages because “people don’t take you seriously unless there is some sort of settlement”.

[...]

“Supposing somebody was called racist instead of homophobic, do you think that person would stand back and say that is fair comment? That’s the analogy. I don’t accept that I’m homophobic,” she said.

If you'd said that black people shouldn't be allowed raise children, then yes, yes I would call you racist.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    A town in NZ used to have a slogan along the lines of "Whatever it takes"

Oh god the slogans on some of AFL teams' membership brochures were amazing last year.

Team who just got caught giving banned performance enhancing drugs to their players: "Whatever it takes."
    Team who just got caught breaching the salary cap: "Be the unfair advantage."

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    two people died because of neck nominations this weekend

people are saying they should be banned by the government

personally i think it's fair to assume that people should know that downing a pint of whiskey isn't good for them

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    ‘We only sought damages from RTE after they refused to apologise over claim of homophobia’

Irish Times columnist Breda O’Brien has stated that she and other members of the Iona Institute sought libel damages after RTE refused to apologise.

In an article in today’s Irish Times newspaper, Ms O’Brien said she was not remotely interested in money but agreed to accept damages because “people don’t take you seriously unless there is some sort of settlement”.

[...]

“Supposing somebody was called racist instead of homophobic, do you think that person would stand back and say that is fair comment? That’s the analogy. I don’t accept that I’m homophobic,” she said.

If you'd said that black people shouldn't be allowed raise children, then yes, yes I would call you racist.

If she doesn't care about the money, she'll be donating any hypothetical winnings to charity then?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just went and looked up this RTE thing.

A bunch of homophobes said homophobic things, and RTE called them out on it.

They were then able to sue, and RTE had to pay out settlements for calling these silly geese what they are.

It is sometimes easy to forget the US protection of free speech is not common even in Western society.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

[...]

If she doesn't care about the money, she'll be donating any hypothetical winnings to charity then?

they're a pro life organisation, so chances are they'd only donate it to like minded charities

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

They were then able to sue, and RTE had to pay out settlements for calling these silly geese what they are.

It is sometimes easy to forget the US protection of free speech is not common even in Western society.

RTE is the broadcaster. It was someone on RTE (Rory O'Neill, aka Panti) who didn't represent them who accused the organisation of being homophobic.

• Options

this sounds like a case of lolIreland (sorry Tav)

gotta remember they're still a very religious place

i dont think the case would have gone that way in the UK

we generally strike a nice balance, you're allowed to call out racists and homophobes but we don't have to tolerate west boro baptists either

not to say we're perfect and always come down on the right side

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But still. If I went on the local news and called a homophobe a homophobe, the station wouldn't have to pay the homophobe.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    holy fuck, I just read Panti's wiki
    On 11 January 2014, O'Neill appeared on RTÉ's The Saturday Night Show with Brendan O'Connor. Comments made by O'Neill on the topic of homophobia, during the interview, mentioned individuals involved in Irish journalism, and a conservative lobby group. O'Neill's view was that those mentioned displayed homophobic behaviour due to their opposition to same-sex marriage and LGBT adoption. Those mentioned, in-turn, threatened RTÉ and O'Neill with legal action.[4] RTÉ subsequently removed that section of the interview from their online archive.[11]

On 25 January episode of the RTÉ Saturday Night Show O'Connor issued a controversial public apology on behalf of RTÉ to those mentioned by O'Neill in the interview held two weeks previously.[12] The fact that the Irish State broadcaster (RTÉ) censored a citizens opinions, and then paid compensation to those named by Panti, became a controversial issue, discussed by members of government.[13][14][15][16]

RTÉ paid monies to those named by Panti.[17]

Fucking disgraceful. The organisation mentioned was The Iona Institute, a bunch of pro-lifers with a disgusting attitude towards marriage equality and women's rights.

• Options

personally i think it's fair to assume that people should know that downing a pint of whiskey isn't good for them

what are people proposing they ban exactly?

drunken bets?

good luck with that, how would that law even be worded anyway? how would it be enforced?

a kid got drunk, did something stupid and got himself killed, it's a tragic accident where personal responcibility has to get its credit rather than casting around for something to blame or ban

• Options

this sounds like a case of lolIreland (sorry Tav)

gotta remember they're still a very religious place

i dont think the case would have gone that way in the UK

we generally strike a nice balance, you're allowed to call out racists and homophobes but we don't have to tolerate west boro baptists either

not to say we're perfect and always come down on the right side

there was a debate on TV last week where people who oppose gay marriage said they were sick of being talked down to and wanted their opinion heard

if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go scream into a pillow

• Options
    But still. If I went on the local news and called a homophobe a homophobe, the station wouldn't have to pay the homophobe.

well provided you have some defencable basis for the claim, you wouldn't here either

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    @Casual @Dis

I'll be in Aberdeen on Thursday, but I'm not staying over and I'll be out at some conference centre - beer prospects are poor. I'll let you know next time I'm coming up if I'll be staying over / in the city.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

drunken bets?

good luck with that, how would that law even be worded anyway? how would it be enforced?

a kid got drunk, did something stupid and got himself killed, it's a tragic accident where personal responcibility has to get its credit rather than casting around for something to blame or ban

Let me put it this way. This was done with no intermediary system at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjzT1XSJ-x8

• Options

I'll be in Aberdeen on Thursday, but I'm not staying over and I'll be out at some conference centre - beer prospects are poor. I'll let you know next time I'm coming up if I'll be staying over / in the city.

boo

:(

next time hopefully

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2014
    For too long have the bigots been ignored. Now, their time has come and their illogical, uninformed prejudices shall be heard and treated as though they are sensible opinions and not just the witterings of thickos and knuckle dragging halfwits.

Justice!

Bogart on
  • Options

This was part of a series of flyers they sent out after Savita Halappanavar died as a result of not being able to receive an abortion.

• Options

drunken bets?

i can't watch the vid but im guessing the guy drinks all of that

again what are you suggesting here?

i'm honestly curious what legislative solution people are proposing to curb binge drinking or drunken stupidity

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

drunken bets?

If some of the more insufferable occupiers of doldrums of premature middle age I have the misfortune to be related to are anything to go by, neck nominations not only invented the very concept of young people doing stupid things, but made it even worse because it's on the youtubes.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

drunken bets?

i'm honestly curious what legislative solution people are proposing to curb binge drinking or drunken stupidity

Alcohol taxes and minimum pricing schemes are, if I recall correctly, effective at curbing binge drinking and they tend to be effective at mitigating both problem drinkers and the externalities of problem drinkers.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    How do people even function this early in the morning?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    msmya wrote: »

Personally, I just fake it until sometime after midday.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

My function is sleeping early in the morning. I function very well.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Whyyyyy me

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    @Casual @Dis

Also boo!

also also the @ system makes me regret my dangling apostrophe and wonder how many other notices I missed.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

Best part is Elway is in there.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    class cancelled again o.o

god bless the commuter students

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

I take amphetamines.
    that's not actually why I take amphetamines but it works for the joke you see.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

drunken bets?

Alcohol taxes and minimum pricing schemes are, if I recall correctly, effective at curbing binge drinking and they tend to be effective at mitigating both problem drinkers and the externalities of problem drinkers.

well great, but those things already exist and have apparently failed to tackle the issue of drunk people doing stupid things

i'd love for binge drinking to vanish overnight, but realistically to get rid of it you're looking at re-introducing prohibition

and we know how well that works

this is just another case of "someone died oh god we have to be seen to be doing something lets find something to ban that'll make everything better"

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    There's a town in Australia called Aberdeen as well.

A woman killed and ate her husband there once.

It was the second most exciting thing to ever happen there.

This discussion has been closed.