As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Lara Croft Go is also out. It plays a lot like Hitman Go, unsurprisingly. It doesn't have the board game aesthetic, though, and has a bunch of different animations for killing enemies depending on positioning. If you liked Hitman Go, I'd recommend it.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Always felt FF7 was overrated.

Also, every time I saw someone with a username/tag/handle like _xXx_Sephiroth420_xXx_ I died a little inside.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Also, every time I saw someone with a username/tag/handle like _xXx_Sephiroth420_xXx_ I died a little inside.

Happily, my life was too busy for a Playstation at the time due to post-pubescent drama, and I missed the whole generation of games. So I don't have the whole nostalgia thing, but playing through on my iPad the game seems fairly decent so far. Have played through past Midgar on various systems since, maybe this time around it'll 'grab' me.

To be fair, I'd assume the second bit applies to any _xXx_NameReference420_xXx_ handle, right? I mean, it does to me...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Happily, my life was too busy for a Playstation at the time due to post-pubescent drama, and I missed the whole generation of games. So I don't have the whole nostalgia thing, but playing through on my iPad the game seems fairly decent so far. Have played through past Midgar on various systems since, maybe this time around it'll 'grab' me.

To be fair, I'd assume the second bit applies to any _xXx_NameReference420_xXx_ handle, right? I mean, it does to me...

For some reason, Sephiroth specifically really bothered me. He always struck me as nothing more than a brooding emo turd who didn't deserve his rabid fanboy following. And maybe it's because variations of that username were so fucking ubiquitous.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

For some reason, Sephiroth specifically really bothered me. He always struck me as nothing more than a brooding emo turd who didn't deserve his rabid fanboy following. And maybe it's because variations of that username were so fucking ubiquitous.

I remember being bugged by this too without even being aware of the character (having never played a FF game) -- but literally every online game I can recall where people could name their characters, there was always someone (usually multiple someones) with a variation of the name Sephiroth.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Transistor is $5. Go. Buy. Rejoice.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Transistor is $5. Go. Buy. Rejoice.

You all have me to thank, I bought it about 5 days ago at full price to make sure they placed it on sale. Go to it now, buy buy buy!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 7 port has a really frustrating bug where it freezes up during battle and you have to restart. Apparently this happens after a certain number of summons so I stopped using them and it hasn't happened since.

I was a bit worried about the Gi Cave boss without summons until I remembered
    you can beat him easily with a Phoenix Down.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal on steam a bunch lately, and now I'm on a huge Roguelike kick. Any suggestions for a good iOS Roguelike?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal on steam a bunch lately, and now I'm on a huge Roguelike kick. Any suggestions for a good iOS Roguelike?
    Hoplite is very simple but awesome.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

868-HACK and Auro are both reasonably unique twists on the genre. Cardinal Quest 2 is also good.

Pixel Dungeon is heavily inspired by Brogue.
    Sproggiwood adds a little town builder to the formula.
    If you have an iPad, Desktop Dungeons is a sort of roguelike-themed puzzle thing.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I'm running an extracurricular activity at my school where I teach chess to elementary school kids (Grades 1-5, because I'm a sucker). I'm trying to find a good iPad chess game, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a chess app that has these features:

* 2 players on one iPad (pass and play)
    * Lets you make custom minigames (that's how I'm teaching them)

Thanks!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Land Sliders is proving to be quite fun. Made by ex-Halfbrick devs. The control scheme is interesting, slide the world underneath the character, although you can switch it to sliding the character instead which I think is a little easier to control. Has that just-one-more-try hook to it, plus the collectible character aspect of Crossy Road.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I just got SPL-T (from the Year Walk folks), tried playing it normally and got 2000-ish. Played it by (literally) randomly tapping my thumbs on the screen and for 5,789, and thought "hm, that doesn't seem like a very good game".

Then I discovered that _real_ highscores are 200,000+. And also that there are secrets in there, and I am back to being interested..

• Options
    I just got SPL-T (from the Year Walk folks), tried playing it normally and got 2000-ish. Played it by (literally) randomly tapping my thumbs on the screen and for 5,789, and thought "hm, that doesn't seem like a very good game".

Then I discovered that _real_ highscores are 200,000+. And also that there are secrets in there, and I am back to being interested..

Year Walk was a fucking trip, so I'm certain there's some meat on the bones of this game beyond its surface look.

• Options
    Trick Shot is a pretty simple physics puzzler, but one that's been polished so much it is well worth buying (imho). Toucharcade's review pretty much says it all. It's not very long (at least, to beat the first go around -- the second playthrough is going to be a lot harder), but it was the only game I played until I'd beaten it, which isn't normally what happens with new games.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

868-HACK and Auro are both reasonably unique twists on the genre. Cardinal Quest 2 is also good.

Pixel Dungeon is heavily inspired by Brogue.
    Sproggiwood adds a little town builder to the formula.
    If you have an iPad, Desktop Dungeons is a sort of roguelike-themed puzzle thing.

Dream Quest, if you don't mind a card game mechanic and terrible graphics.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    http://sodadungeon.com/

I like it for what it is, it's not what I expected it to be; it seems like it would be a dungeon crawler but its more of an upgrade management thing. Suits me because you can let it run through the actual dungeon on autobattle and just handle the upgrade/party management parts at intervals, but you do have the option to play it like a very simple turn based rpg if you wish.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Lara Croft Go is also out. It plays a lot like Hitman Go, unsurprisingly. It doesn't have the board game aesthetic, though, and has a bunch of different animations for killing enemies depending on positioning. If you liked Hitman Go, I'd recommend it.

...Y'know, I played the whole Lara Croft game, but, it's just not as well done as Hitman Go. There's a clear Monument Valley influence going on, which is another game I'm a fan of, but Lara Croft Go just doesn't have enough to it. Assembling the relics don't really do anything for you, and the costumes can unlock are pretty superfluous, and only hint at how great it would be to have separate quests in, say, Area 51 or the arctic. Not to mention the character is generally pretty tiny so it's a very minor change to the experience of the game.

What's there is great, but it just feels...scant. Some hidden levels or something would've substantially improved it. That said, if they make a sequel that builds on what they've got, and maybe even has a hub system or bigger levels that reward exploration...I would be down for that.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I like it for what it is, it's not what I expected it to be; it seems like it would be a dungeon crawler but its more of an upgrade management thing. Suits me because you can let it run through the actual dungeon on autobattle and just handle the upgrade/party management parts at intervals, but you do have the option to play it like a very simple turn based rpg if you wish.

Any in app purchases?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Any in app purchases?

Dunno, when I tried to play it froze up on the initial "Armor Games" screen...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Any in app purchases?

There are, but very unobtrusive. You can buy a few shortcuts, like instead of saving up ingame cash for an upgrade, you can just buy it for 99 cents. Totally unnecessary and actually counter to the point of the game in my opinion. You can also pay to remove ads (the ads are single screen, not videos) but you can also save up ingame cash to remove those too!

Another thing I forgot to mention is there aren't any 'stamina timers' or that sort of thing, you don't have to arbitrarily wait to play again.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Soda Dungeon was pretty fun to watch, but I think it may set a new record for least conscious interaction from me to beat the game -- set it to auto, buy new stuff for tavern, pick best characters each time, and in 30 or so runs I'd got to level 100. (sure, I could go around it again, but I don't think there's anything new in there).

The only tricky bit I found was remembering to not equip the +20HP -20attack armor/weapons, because I wound up with a bunch of people doing tiny tiny damage and getting nowhere. Still weirdly compelling to watch my characters fight away on their own, though.

(of games that showed up as new, Super Sharp is fun-ish, but I'd swear I played pretty much exactly the same game a few years ago. )

(edit: I think it was Icebreaker, which confused me because it has graphics and a storyline and stuff, it's not the super-minimal approach of super sharp)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    DreamQuest was so good the guy that made it got hired by Blizzard.

Richard Garfield the guy that invented Magic The Gathering says that DreamQuest is amazing

Seriously why the hell have you not played DreamQuest

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    DreamQuest was so good the guy that made it got hired by Blizzard.

Richard Garfield the guy that invented Magic The Gathering says that DreamQuest is amazing

Seriously why the hell have you not played DreamQuest

That's awesome. Because seriously, Dream Quest is so so good

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been putting it off because that art... but I just dropped $3.50CAD, so I've atoned for my sins, okay?

• Options
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I've been putting it off because that art...

dreamquest-janet-wellington-paperback-cover-art.jpg

yeah, come on, guy, get a haircut already

(and some pants?)

• Options
    Soda Dungeon was pretty fun to watch, but I think it may set a new record for least conscious interaction from me to beat the game -- set it to auto, buy new stuff for tavern, pick best characters each time, and in 30 or so runs I'd got to level 100. (sure, I could go around it again, but I don't think there's anything new in there).

The only tricky bit I found was remembering to not equip the +20HP -20attack armor/weapons, because I wound up with a bunch of people doing tiny tiny damage and getting nowhere. Still weirdly compelling to watch my characters fight away on their own, though.

I'm on 3rd ascension and it's definitely gotten more challenging than just 'pick 5 highest cost guys and go'. The end boss seems to change at each ascension, and there's a teeny tiny bit of story between. I fully admit there's not much actual 'game' to it but it's a great 'at work' game for me as I can set it to run while banging out some tasks (I do IT & programming & whatever else the company needs at the moment)

• Options
    it's a great 'at work' game for me as I can set it to run while banging out some tasks (I do IT & programming & whatever else the company needs at the moment)

That's exactly what I wound up doing -- every so often, click through until they were off to the dungeon, then leave it to play on its own. (and then at the end of the day I wondered why my battery had run out so much more than usual...)

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Are there any good poker or blackjack games that aren't massive in-app purchase traps that anyone can recommend?

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Slowly getting back into Spider-Man Unlimited. Wish there was a better way to communicate with ally members in my alliance. Or see when they last played so I can boot people.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Activision just bought King for 5.9 Billion dollars.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Room 3 is out.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just learned about Amazing Loot Grind and burned away two hours of my life and also I am learning dark truths about myself.

• Options
    FYI, I'm looking for interest for a PA Gaming League. It'd track rankings for any game, so we could have league games for things like Hero Academy (again). Let me know if you're interested here.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    FYI, I'm looking for interest for a PA Gaming League. It'd track rankings for any game, so we could have league games for things like Hero Academy (again). Let me know if you're interested here.

I haven't played HA in ages, but never uninstalled it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Jacoby wrote: »

I haven't played HA in ages, but never uninstalled it.

And you were posting to the thread long after I stopped running the league! :biggrin: :+1:

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is the Hero Academy community still kicking?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is the Hero Academy community still kicking?

In PA, probably not, but I just got 6 games going in a few minutes yesterday. So as a whole, I'd say yes.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Where have all the time management games gone? I have an itch for a new game in the genre, but it's looking like nothing new has come out in ages.

I've played:
    Sally's Spa and Salon
    Airport Mania
    Cook Serve Delicious
    Most of the Diner Dash derived series

Anything good I'm missing?