Options

[Phalla] Final Fantasy Tactics: The Durai Report - Day 8: Victory for the MrBlarney Stone!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Blargh. Guards were (obviously). And it looks like a knight was attacked too because we got mystic unlocked.

We need to get organized. I propose everyone PM their role to (person of our choice, I nominate me because I'm clean). That person can check against the squire provided numbers and see if there's anywhere to focus.

Meanwhile, I think Jpants knew all of the dead by mafia's hands people were trying to organize the village in PMs because he was PMing with them. Only such person I know of (independently via jdark and Aura). So that's a place to start, I think.

Everybody switch to mystic, 4x seers a night (5-6 people per). Split into groups, seer within groups. If shenanigans occur we know where to look

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Also, people who have been seen should be PMed by all the people who saw them. People who have seen 2 people should tell both that they've seen both of them. Obviously people who claim to have seen two people with only a single claimant to their name should both be treated skeptically.

And today, everyone see Phyphor because it's fun killing Phyphor.

• Options
    Wait no, we should all see MrT because I actually think he's dodgy, and I wouldn't mind seeing the mafia waste a kill on him.
    We can let Phyphor twist in the wind a bit first.

Otherwise,
    Kristmas Kthulu
    Kristmas Kthulu
    Kristmas Kthulu

Because giving Bedlam the vote when he wanted it was a great idea.

• Options
    So SEE MRT and if you don't want to, just know that I'm not changing my action because I'm hopelessly inactive, and if I die let it be known that I did not want to follow Phyphor's great and foolproof plan anyway.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    So SEE MRT and if you don't want to, just know that I'm not changing my action because I'm hopelessly inactive, and if I die let it be known that I did not want to follow Phyphor's great and foolproof plan anyway.

I think we should reserve the large size font for when we actually have a plan, so people wont' get goddamn confused which seems to be the problem.

• Options
    The plan is: DO PHYPHOR'S THING
    Also see MrT whilst we're waiting.
    Because that's what I'll be doing.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

If you do that regardless of any developments and just to be stubborn, I'm gonna facepalm

I assume see= seer

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Ok. One...

Who made you leader?

Two.

Why do you feel the need to prove my point?

• Options
    Egos wrote: »

If you do that regardless of any developments and just to be stubborn, I'm gonna facepalm

I assume see= seer
    Ok. One...

Who made you leader?

Two.

Why do you feel the need to prove my point?

I'm just doing this because I am so inactive that I have literally no way of changing my vote or target during the 'day' when all you guys are awake.

So conform or not, but don't expect me to step in line because my legs are broke and I'm bleeding everywhere.

And Phyphor's plan makes sense and doesn't necessarily require me to be active at high player-count times.
    Just split the group into 3 or 4 based on the list, nominate a random leader in each one, have my leader pm me a target, job done.
    Or if I'm the random leader, then I pm the group at the beginning of the day and again win.

• Options
    Maybe Im the odd ball here but we need to leave MrT alone. We know he was a chemist, we know he is green. Also, its really, really stupid to place all the color votes on one person like you did up there. We all have powers so Im going out on a limb and say we don't have specials. So as far as killing people, hit villagers isn't as worrisome as a normal game. Top two vote getters get wacked? Shoot, let's nuke the hell out of the field. Trying to save the red vote winner from dying is a waste of resources. Private vote should be secret hit squad style. And role call should be made already by MrT, if nothing more than to help weed out liars or help get squads together. All this openness feels like the mafia should have ways around it. Unless the mafia is as confused as we are.

• Options
    We don't know that MrT was green. We only know he was a Chemist.

The seer public vote is rubbish and I see no reason to not just squander it at this point in the game.
    The guard vote should concur with a kill vote just so that one less person dies a night, unless we're certain someone's mafia.

And the only reason I'm making my ability target known publicly is because the other seers shouldn't be operating under the pretense that some random super active person is going to help them see someone.

Once everyone is in the Mystic job tomorrow, and groups and leaders have been arranged during the witching hour, with allowances made for mafia attrition within the groups, then we can switch to private random seer votes which the mafia will have trouble targeting all 3 or more of.

• Options
    I suppose we should be using the guard vote to create a valid seeing target though.

Who's dodgy and deserves a red vote...

• Options
    Kristmas Kthulu
    MrT
    Grunt's Ghosts

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Spoit wrote: »
    If there are not enough existent votes for an action (e.g. 7 for today's player count), does that mean that action is completely unavailable? Would we know that is the case?

If the threshold of votes is not met, a private action will not be successful. If there aren't enough total private votes to achieve the 30% (rounded up), then it would be impossible to get that day.

Each narration states the required number of votes for a successful voting action. I round up. Today you need 8 private votes to have a successful private action.

Ardor on
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Can a squire tell us if the other squires are being systematically taken out by mafia? I like the Jpants reasoning.

I also haven't noticed Rainfall playing.

And GG, the reason we've been private guarding the vote winner is to unlock better guard options, not to cut down the kills.

• Options
    Phyphor's plan is okay, but we need to be balancing seers and lengthening the game/protecting the seered. I think we should keep a few knights getting guards on the 2nd place vote winner, and use the public guard to protect village seered people (don't necessarily share that info with the thread, just try to push the guard vote that way from your individual groups).

• Options
    Side note: Was there a private attack on Bedlam?

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Side note: Was there a private attack on Bedlam?
    Spoit wrote: »
    Obi was mafia-killed.

There weren't enough votes to get a bedlam double tap private kill

• Options
    So I'm thinking we could unlock the Monk profession tonight if we play our cards right. If we managed to get Knights into the top 2 spots for voting, then they could easily negate both attacks via their job ability by working with 2 other knights. Then it would just take 4 more Knights (or 8 Chemists/Squires, or a combination) to attack one of the other protected Knights and boom Monk unlocked.

That should leave enough Squires to give another public guard/private seer combo attempt, and if not then we'll definitely do so tomorrow after most of the Squires have (presumably) transitioned to Mystic.

Other than Monk I'm tempted to say we should just let the game play out for a while without trying to unlock more jobs. Black Mage will come shortly enough as it is, the best way to unlock Ninja is almost certainly to kill another mafia member, and Arithmetician seems rather dependent of finding mafia. Holy Knight seems dependent on our ability to funnel mafia attacks onto one person; force them to decide between keeping a nethead alive and unlocking it for us, so I think our goal in that regard is to establish a nethead.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Blargh. Guards were (obviously). And it looks like a knight was attacked too because we got mystic unlocked.

We need to get organized. I propose everyone PM their role to (person of our choice, I nominate me because I'm clean). That person can check against the squire provided numbers and see if there's anywhere to focus.

Meanwhile, I think Jpants knew all of the dead by mafia's hands people were trying to organize the village in PMs because he was PMing with them. Only such person I know of (independently via jdark and Aura). So that's a place to start, I think.

ebum
    MrT

While true that I had PM'd with jdark and Aura, this reeks of mafia trying to control the conversation now that the big lightning rod/target of DemonBedlam is dead. The only interactions i had with Aura were him PM'ing saying he was taunting Bedlam and looking for a guard (which I couldn't help with as a squire) and then last night right before vote close he PM'd me saying he strongly suspected ebum of being mafia. He didn't say what in his PMing made him think that, unfortunately.

That, combined with the fact that ebum also voted for Bedlam is what makes me go from "honest villager mistake" to "mafia control attempt".

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    Day 3 – The Breakthrough

Fear raced through the ranks as the guards faced the now Bedlam the Demon. As most of the guards descended upon him, they could feel their blades hit their mark as Bedlam the Demon was felled by their blades, his body disappearing in a flash of light. However, in the midst of this lay Auralynx and jdarksun.

The Guards loyal to the Stone now number at 3..

Casualties:
    Auralynx
    Bedlam
    jdarksun

Once the fighting has ended, the guards looked over to see Olan in their midst. He had observed most of the fight in order to better understand his opponents.

"Guards, I want you to understand something we just found out today. These Demons are mortal to normal attacks. Luckily, the stone was not powerful enough or perhaps not given enough time yet, to create an even more powerful demon.

There are 3 more guards loyal to the stone that need to be destroyed so that we may recover the stone and put this behind us."

The results of the Public Kill:

Bedlam was attacked.
    MrTLicious was attacked.

The results of the Public Guard:

CesareB was guarded today.

The results of the Public Job Seering:

MrTLicious was a Chemist.
    There was nothing left of Bedlam to seer.

New Job Unlocked!

Mystic *NEW* - You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Seer or Kill. This vote is worth 2. Your job ability is as follows: Upon a successful private seer action of a Guard loyal to the Stone, you will be provided with information on the stones powers. Upon a successful private kill action, you are provided information on the target's action and target that night. (Example: Upon successfully killing Ardor, you also discover that he was Privately Voting to Kill Infidel).

The number of players left: 25
    The number of private votes needed for a successful private action: 8

The roster will be updated and PMs will go out shortly.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I've updated the Mystic job description to be a little more clear regarding the job ability. So I changed "Killing Ardor" to "Attacking Ardor". A successful private kill vote you participate in, will give you that information.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Going to agree with CesareB, we shouldn't get too hung up on unlocking everything as quickly as possible. There are still three guards loyal to the stone, they get two attacks per night and we still have the red vote. So we don't exactly have unlimited time to dick around, since attrition is unavoidable for the most part, it's possible to luck out at have something like knight fuck the stoners out of kill or negate the red vote without village organization.

Also based on narration and what has happened with Bedlam. We probably would be well served assuming that mafia members have 2hp minimum. 1h as a human and 1hp minimum as a vile demon. Narration seems to hint that they could end up being more powerful and possible more resilient.

We probably have enough classes unlocked, that we can try putting more effort towards identifying the last three threats to the village, while the other class unlocks come naturally. Now the question is, do we want to keep any squires, just to know how many jobs are in play and the number for each job, or do we want them all to go mystic to improve our chances of successful seers?

• Options
    Phyphor's plan is okay, but we need to be balancing seers and lengthening the game/protecting the seered. I think we should keep a few knights getting guards on the 2nd place vote winner, and use the public guard to protect village seered people (don't necessarily share that info with the thread, just try to push the guard vote that way from your individual groups).

What? If we seer 4 people a night and keep doing our guard the red winner thing, then the mafia can (unless they gain lots more kills) only kill half of the people we seer each night 3-4 days of this and we have seered or forced mafia kills on half of the playerbase; the network should be (at least) 6-8 strong which is a comfortable margin. Of course, I don't expect victory to be this easy, so... Also, if one group's seer target always conveniently dies we just know it's likely infiltrated. Since everybody gets the result and we have a hard number, any group of 4 or more people can clear somebody

• Options
    Also, since we seer ~15+% of the playerbase a night, if a mafia is getting seered and they want to block that then they can only do it by wiping out the group they were hiding in

• Options
    Stupid phone...

• Options
    We need at least 15% per seer, so we seer about 6% of the playerbase.

• Options
    I'm just saying that having lots of seers is great, but making the game last longer with lots of seers is also great.

• Options
    We need at least 15% per seer, so we seer about 6% of the playerbase.

Assuming the kills remain low, 4 of 22/23 is about 17% or so of the remaining players. How do you propose to protect them? Guard votes can be infiltrated, letting the mafia never connect with a guard. I don't think you will be able to have a decent network and block mafia kills. Whereas you can outpace them and find them twice as fast.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I'm with Phyphor here. Seering people faster than the mafia can kill them pretty much means we've already won.

Rainfall is really quiet as well.

• Options
    So we try to unlock the Monk class tonight and then switch to Mystic en masse to start mass seering tomorrow? Sound about right?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, phyphor's plan sounds fairly sound, with only 3 people left, the mafia can only have so much interference with the votes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I agree that Phyphor's plan seems sound.

If the hints are correct, we need to find mafia before they gain too much power.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Well that plan works for the future, what are we doing today besides converting to mystic?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Go back and look at votes for who day 1 voted bedlam and when. Now that we know mafia die after 2 hits, it seems unlikely to throw a mafia to the vote day 1, chance there more powerful as a revealed demon but not worth it.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Go back and look at votes for who day 1 voted bedlam and when. Now that we know mafia die after 2 hits, it seems unlikely to throw a mafia to the vote day 1, chance there more powerful as a revealed demon but not worth it.

Bedlam voted for himself in the middle of the votes, and KK, JDark, and Ebum voted for him as the last 3 votes of the day, within i think 10-15 minutes of vote close (iirc).

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    You'll note that KK points out (correctly, I think) that second place was currently a multiple way tie. Making that not close enough for shenanigans is a pretty big deal. I went with him for that reason (and the ships thing still does bug me).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So far we have 6 red votes and 2 blue votes. Pretty sad showing so far.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You'll note that KK points out (correctly, I think) that second place was currently a multiple way tie. Making that not close enough for shenanigans is a pretty big deal. I went with him for that reason (and the ships thing still does bug me).

I think that you and anyone else who feels that way really needs to let that go bedlam does not generally play against is win condition and has certainly been grudged for it before.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Given that Bedlam died in two hits, I'm not sure that the mafia was gunning to get him out into the lead. He wasn't a given second place red vote at the time of his his. It's quite possible that he was voting for himself, in the hopes that he wouldn't end up eating it, since the mafia would be less inclined to offer up their head on a platter like that. Even then that just gave them a day to annoy the hell out of us.

Kind of sad, that the green vote didn't pan out, but it seems destined to be a crap shoot. We'll have to see if the mafia get sturdier going forward, in regards to using this vote to identify their job.

The_Anonymous for his blue vote yesterday. We almost had a tie and I think mafia avoiding suspicion wouldn't have been on the blue vote MrT wagon, they go for a throwaway.

MrTLicious we've been spending private guards on him for two days now. I think it's time we setup things to attempt to private seer him. We don't quite understand how mechanics might affect mafia and if they get private jobs, I'd like to make sure that we aren't spending efforts that could be strengthening the last three.

Mill might well make use of this vote. Are we at a point where it can be used to farm for new jobs and we're just waiting to either catch someone in a lie or identify a hidden stoner job?