Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I'm pleased with the Blue Power Jet, it's a lot larger and more sturdy than I thought it would be. Downside is it's larger than I thought it would be so it fits with the current theme of the day.

Can a minifig fit in the cockpit? The old red jet could cram a figure in.

It is minifig scale so two fit in it quite easily. It doesn't come with any minifigs though which is an odd decision on Lego's part.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I have a room in our new house where I get basically free reign to decorate as I please. But I'm also running into a lack of space for my LEGO as well. Particularly mini figure space.

I think I'm going to try and build a couple fairly simple display cases for them. That way I can show them off on the wall and free up some shelf space.

If it looks decent I could work up something similar for my boys, since they both have a small army of figs that I bet they would get a kick out of showing off.

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Sounds an awful lot like the lego movie basement. You don't want to become lord business do you? :whistle:

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Part of the design is to keep things accessible so the boys and I can still take things out and play. I won't be investing in any glue just yet

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    So uh, Angry Birds line next spring to coincide with the Angry Birds movie.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Trying to find space for completed sets is the worst part of Lego.

yep, pretty much this

I have Tower Bridge, Red Five, the Helicarrier, the Tumbler, and a few smaller sets, and I am basically out of room. :(

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Weird, Ant-Man cannae be found in UK stores yet, but the Carnage and Rhino/Sandman sets can. Meanwhile, the US store only has Ant-Man, no Carnage or Rhino.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    So uh, Angry Birds line next spring to coincide with the Angry Birds movie.

Yeah, just read about this. I think I'm going to pass.

Super Cycle Chase was on clearance at my local walmart. It's a pretty cool set. I like the cycle, but the Super Secret Police truck is just awesome. I just love how beefy it is.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I just got a great deal off of craigslist. A lady listed three creator boxes that totalled over 2200 pieces and she wanted 20 dollars for them. It was a bit of a drive for me and there was potential that they were missing pieces (so few deals on my local craigslist that you pretty much can't wait around for someone to email you pictures. Drive to it or lose it.)

I took the risk, met up with the lady, and she opened up one of the boxes and it had at least 3 other sets in the box. None of them huge (biggest one was a 30 dollar log cabin from 2011 I recognized) but I'm looking at less than a penny per brick.

Update: Found a mostly complete $45 house in the pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if its not missing anything.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh man, gotta get that Winter Soldier fig, what are the odds I could still get one from my local store in a splurge fest?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Doesn't hurt to ask if they have any still in stock before you get to the till.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Got my Pet Shop in the mail yesterday. :) That actually shipped pretty fast compared to past orders. I wonder if Lego expedites backordered stuff?

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Lego update: I had to stop on the Pet Shop construction because I'm actually missing a piece (one of the 6x1 bricks for the walls). I made an impulse stop at the Lego store and picked up the Palace Cinema and the Batman/Riddler drag race set (I got it for free with VIP points, mostly because I wanted at least a slim chance of getting a Batpod). The Lego Store guys know me now and we BSed about sets for a while :) (apparently the latest rumor is modulars, Simpsons, and fairground sets are going to be 1/year now, with the next modular being a library/museum).

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Lego update: I had to stop on the Pet Shop construction because I'm actually missing a piece (one of the 6x1 bricks for the walls). I made an impulse stop at the Lego store and picked up the Palace Cinema and the Batman/Riddler drag race set (I got it for free with VIP points, mostly because I wanted at least a slim chance of getting a Batpod). The Lego Store guys know me now and we BSed about sets for a while :) (apparently the latest rumor is modulars, Simpsons, and fairground sets are going to be 1/year now, with the next modular being a library/museum).

!!

I'm already on the modular train and was going to buy whatever they put out, but damn. That sounds great.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a librarian I approve of those rumor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I picked up the Ant-Man set today. It's honestly kinda underwhelming.

WmpdB15l.jpg

Looked better on the box.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I only have shelf space for two more modulars before I'd have to do some serious reorganization.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Welp, Winter Soldier promo proved to be the impetus for me to finally snag Emmet's Construct-O-Mech, which was a pretty fun build, plus it's pretty impressive looking when it's all done (Legs need more articulation though, IMO) I also snagging the new Soldier's Fort from the Pirate line to put myself over the threshold. It was a fun little build, though honestly I wish it had a bit more to it for what it's supposed to be (Feels more like an outpost than a fort) and I wish I could put the shoulder pads on the lady figure with her hair without it looking like her neck's a pez dispenser, but hey, pirates

Also, sad Winter Soldier didn't have a gun or even a knife with him, doesn't feel right.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My wife got me a ton of Lego for Father's Day. The new Quinjet, hulk smash lab, and cap v hydra! Also the winter soldier and an iron man magnet. I have a lot to build now :)

• Options
    Bought a 20 year old Lego set off of eBay and the seller just informed me he didn't have a big enough box so he just shipped it in the original box.

That is discouraging to say the least.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bought a 20 year old Lego set off of eBay and the seller just informed me he didn't have a big enough box so he just shipped it in the original box.

That is discouraging to say the least.

That sounds like a "give me a refund" kind of thing.

• Options
    That's hilariously unacceptable. I wonder what the postal worker at the drop off had to say about that decision.

I'd demand a refund as well.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think I'd wait to see what condition it turned up in. It's possible that "In the original box" means "In the original box which has been wrapped in a couple layers of butcher paper, sealed carefully with the best packing tape I could find and decorated with a half dozen 'handle with care' stickers".
    But if the seller just slaps the mail label on the box and sends it out...

• Options
    Seems like something he should have though of when putting the item up for sale.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I am very skeptical that a LEGO box, even wrapped (unless it's wrapped in a fair amount of bubble wrap, then butcher paper) can survive the shipping process undamaged.

• Options
    What the fuck. I mean, I'm no box collector or nothing, but that really matters to some people. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Okay, well, I guess I can give more details because you're a relatively trustworthy group. :P

It's a Lego monorail set. The box is a big 26" monster and it averages $400 normally, but I managed to snag it this morning for roughly half that. I'm not too concerned about what condition the box is because I already have a beat to hell box for this set. However, it is a giant box that says lego on it. Thats just temptation to steal incarnate. From what I got from his message, as soon as I bought it, he popped on down to the post office with the legos in the box and asked the guy at the counter to box it and ship it. (which they do but its far from the cheapest way to ship something.) The post office guy said "sorry, we don't have a box thats big enough but I promise nothing will happen to the box during shipment." So they slapped a stamp on it and sent it on its way.

Should I even bother messaging him my doubts? Should I just wait and hope it actually shows up? I've got a tracking number, but USPS tracking is more of a suggestion than anything. He did all of this before he messaged me, of course. I'm thinking I might just wait and file a claim the once it shows up torn open and legoless, if it shows up at all. I know ebay tends to side with the buyer in disputes, so I'm not too worried about not getting my money back, I suppose. I just really want the damn thing to actually show up.

I just checked tracking and its already left his post office.

Edit: And that box doesn't hold together well at all, I know because I already own one. So either its going to open halfway here or they taped the hell out of it. I'm not really a box keeper but I'd super pissed if I was. I really don't like this whole situation.

Edit edit: I guess messaging him now won't do any good besides my chance to call him an idiot. I'll just wait to see when/if it shows up to file a claim. I don't owe him a warning or anything because he's already committed the stupid deed. Heck a warning might even make me look dishonest. I'll just bide my time and hope it shows up intact and everything. If it does, then he gets bad feedback. Because seriously, you don't ship something you received triple digits of money for in a flimsy twenty year old box.

Also, the reason I bought a set I already own: if I were to buy extra monorail tracks, the motor, and the carriage pieces for the trains I'd be getting incredible close to the price of just buying a duplicate of the set. I'm not crazy, honest. (eBay sellers just make me crazy)

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Sears has shipped me large sets with just a label on the box itself and it arrived intact. Mind you, these were brand new boxes with the pieces still in poly bags and Sears uses their own carrier, not the post office so it's not the same situation. Best of luck in getting everything intact.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    If it is already shipped, just wait for it to show up. Be prepared to take photos. I mean, seriously, at the bare minimum they should wrap the thing in paper.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I am very skeptical that a LEGO box, even wrapped (unless it's wrapped in a fair amount of bubble wrap, then butcher paper) can survive the shipping process undamaged.

I ordered a board game off ebay, and the dude just shipped it in the original box, which shows up completely trashed. Thankfully nothing fell out, but man...

• Options
    Apparently the next Expert car is the Ferrari F40. It seems a little small in comparison with the Mini Cooper and the VW Bus (from watching the video), but it does look pretty sweet.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I buy older lego castle sets all the time on ebay
    I am still amazed I get the box with them considering some of them are over 30 years old

but still I find it bonkers people buy and sell the box alone

• Options
    edited June 2015
    The prices on the really old stuff are somewhat reasonable too. Obviously a few choice sets have inflated prices, but for the most part the appreciation on old lego is not that big.. it just barely outpaces inflation.

Like a $30 set in 1980 would cost $85 today, and you can find the big 1980's space lego sets for starting bids around $100.

And just because it's fun, here's a page from a 1980 catalog:

http://xzzy.org/files/lego/1980_jcpenny_christmas_lego.jpg

Galaxy Explorer is on ebay for $250. :rotate:

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I won a gift card to Target in a raffle the other day.

RBIhRtu.jpg

First pirate set ever. 8 year old me is ecstatic
    Also I'm totally going to buy like 3 more train car sets.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    That hardly looks like the picture at all

• Options
    Monorail made it!

Box is beat to hell but everything survived. A few missing pieces and a few extra pieces. A 4x8 plate was replaced with two 4x4s and it isn't structurally sound, so I could imagine if this was someone's only lego set it would be super not fun because the tower collapses every time the monorail goes up it.

There is something wrong with either the train or a track piece though. I haven't decided what exactly is the problem, but the train likes to flip off while going back down from the tower (after I replaced that plate, of course.) Not a big deal since this set is essentially a large track pack to me, but I would like to verify what the problem is so it doesn't plague whatever monstrosity I do build.

I won't bother with a picture since its true to the instructions, so heres this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kGlUjbQShQ

• Options
    Yooooo I remember that ad! :O

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Figured out my problem. The electrical cable that connects the battery to the motor is twisted from years of being stored funny. It's been shortened enough that when going up a hill, the motor is pulling itself off the track. Suicidal space train.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Monorail made it!

Box is beat to hell but everything survived. A few missing pieces and a few extra pieces. A 4x8 plate was replaced with two 4x4s and it isn't structurally sound, so I could imagine if this was someone's only lego set it would be super not fun because the tower collapses every time the monorail goes up it.

There is something wrong with either the train or a track piece though. I haven't decided what exactly is the problem, but the train likes to flip off while going back down from the tower (after I replaced that plate, of course.) Not a big deal since this set is essentially a large track pack to me, but I would like to verify what the problem is so it doesn't plague whatever monstrosity I do build.

I won't bother with a picture since its true to the instructions, so heres this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kGlUjbQShQ

Ah, the days back when Lego kind of had a way to do arms on robots but not yet legs. I had both of those robot sets as a kid. Well, I actually still have them lying around somewhere in storage.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    All those sets came out when I was a broody teenager who was too old for those kid toys.

And now I wish I'd kept on collecting all that stuff.