Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm not going to a midnight event or anything, but if the stores aren't crushed the day afterward, I think I'm going to pick up Rey's Speeder and one of the build-a-figures (probably Jango Fett or a Clone Trooper).

Like I mentioned above, most of the new vehicles are too blocky and the lego sets too expensive and underwhelming, so I'm probably going to chase after Black Series, Micromachines, or maybe even just the basic tie and x-wings with the action figures for my big-ship fix.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    First five monsters: 2 plant monsters, zombie pirate, rock and roll frankenstien's monster, and ghost.

I want this whole set so bad.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Vaguely thinking about making my kids a room sign for their bedroom door out of lego I found myself experimenting with creating a lego font of a manageable size. Here's what I ended up with.

bi6x51k3a0fb.png

It all falls apart a bit when you look from an angle, and the 'm' is hideous, but otherwise I'm quite impressed with my economy of size and brick for still being pretty legible. Nothing goes more than three bricks deep.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Did you look into friction fitting bricks? That's how most people are doing lettering with lego these days.. can get some really cool looking letters.

The first example I found:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/fonts.html

Doesn't look much like lego anymore though. :rotate:

I rather like how your typeface looks, like you say it probably looks a little wonky in the real world but the render looks pretty swanky. Something like this might work too, could scale it up nicely for a bigger sign:

http://awesomelegostuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/lettering-technique.html#comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Those are very funky, but keeping the brick count low was my primary aim in this experiment.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    and the 'm' is hideous,

Maybe just turn your W upside-down instead?

• Options
    It's so obvious when you point it out.

The U would probably be much better as a rotated C as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular

Can't wait for this polybag to come out.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Are the new star wars sets supposed to be out yet? My middle of nowhere rural WalMart has most of them on the shelf.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Today is Force Friday, so yes.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Are there any in the $15-20 range? I saw almost all being like $80+. :-\

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Looks like the 20 dollar range is the construction figures.

They also had the series 14 figures but I couldn't feel out the one I wanted. I didn't try them all but I have better things to do that fondle bags in the toy aisle.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Rey's Speeder is $20 or so

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love the minifigures line, but man oh man can we please drop the blind bag method? Even if it means fewer minifigs per line...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I love the minifigures line, but man oh man can we please drop the blind bag method? Even if it means fewer minifigs per line...

I would be spending a LOT more money on minifigs if they weren't blind bags

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

On the topic of blindbagged minifigures, I saw a line of Mario Bros themed ones from K'nex at Walmart on clearance a few days back.
    I now have a row of six bobombs sitting on top of the cubical divider at work. Fortunately, they're easy to pick out from the rest of the rabble so I don't risk buying a Luigi or something by mistake.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Companies tend to love the blind bag thing. They encourage collect them all mentality and they can spend less money on designing product packaging because one generic bag works for the whole wave.

They make Mario blindbags, Halo blindbags, wrestling blindbags, Transformers kreo blindbags, TRansformers not-kreo blindbags, Thomas the Tank Engine blindbags....

McFlynn on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I've gotten some of those Thomas ones actually, they make good car ride toys for my 3 year old.

And I saw some Robotech ones at Hastings, supremely desirous but the $12 price tag put me off that right quick.

• Options
    They've got blindboxed bobbleheads that I almost fell for, but I realized it was like 8 bucks for a 1/12 chance of getting a Groot.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

On the topic of blindbagged minifigures, I saw a line of Mario Bros themed ones from K'nex at Walmart on clearance a few days back.
    I now have a row of six bobombs sitting on top of the cubical divider at work. Fortunately, they're easy to pick out from the rest of the rabble so I don't risk buying a Luigi or something by mistake.
    :sad: :sad: :sad:

luigi_crying_in_the_rain.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

The specific reason is that Hasbro and Lego agreed to not counter market each other if Lego agreed to not sell "Action Figures" This would mean a single minifigure with accessories.

They are blind bagged because this gets around that limitation because you do not know which specific one you get.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I got 4 of the new Star Wars Sets, Kylo command shuttle, Poe's X-wing, Special forces Tie Fighter and Rey's Speeder. I really wanted the Falcon and the first order transport but thought it didn't look that great for the price. The Snowspeeder thing looks like complete crap. Plus UK pricing on these things are atrocious.

*edit* just finished my first build of Rey's speeder it looks nice for a small speeder. I did think it should be a little longer and bit disappointed they used all stickers. But still a solid build.

jk1u5n9f15ev.jpg
    6nflo79vivzs.jpg

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Tried my luck (& my sense of touch) on a couple of monster minifigs & did pretty well. Ended up with Rockabilly Frankie & Ghost Lady.

Fairly confident I can find some of the others I'd like.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

:sad: :sad: :sad:

luigi_crying_in_the_rain.gif

Look man, I know some people love Luigi, but I don't want to walk in to work with his mug hovering over my desk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eNODCDdqY

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    The series 14 figs really aren't too bad to feel for. About the only ones that feel similar are the spectre and the banshee because they have the same bottom piece. But even then just feel for his chain to differentiate them. My favorite of this series was the plant monster. Plus I had to get a second fly monster so I could swap heads with a Bart fig to make him from treehouse of horror VIII.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    yeah having looked at the UK prices for the new Star Wars sets im not that enthusiastic about them now. £70 for an x-wing, no thanks i'll wait for it to go on sale. The first order vehicles are all overpriced and look horrendous.
    At least when I pick up the Falcon i'll be using my VIP points to knock £30 off the price. Disappointed in this wave of sets

Does anyone know when the next lot of Star Wars battlepacks come out?

• Options
    GaryO wrote: »
    yeah having looked at the UK prices for the new Star Wars sets im not that enthusiastic about them now. £70 for an x-wing, no thanks i'll wait for it to go on sale. The first order vehicles are all overpriced and look horrendous.
    At least when I pick up the Falcon i'll be using my VIP points to knock £30 off the price. Disappointed in this wave of sets

Overpriced seems to be the key of these sets. They are at least £10 over done. I wanted to get a full set as I'm a sucker for Star Wars but to get a full set is £500! The set I like the look of the most is the kylo shuttle and I was still in two minds at the store to get it. I'm tempted to return the tie fighter for a different set. People are really shitting on it. The first order transport is £80 while I hated the look of it but after watching some reviews on YouTube I'm warming to it.

Let me know what the new falcon is like. It's a set I'm on the fence about.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    1441462415vkc.jpg

• Options

January, along with Rebels and TFA microfighters.

And yeah, this line of sets is super disappointing. The prices are, for the most part, higher than usual even in the US (although the two cheapest sets, Rey's Speeder and the First Order Snow Speeder, have pretty average costs-per-brick). Many of the builds and designs just don't look that interesting. I went to five places late last night to see what items I could find, and the Legos had sold the second-least of all the items, behind only the Titanium Series vehicles, which seemed to be left in high numbers at every store I hit.
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Overpriced seems to be the key of these sets. They are at least £10 over done. I wanted to get a full set as I'm a sucker for Star Wars but to get a full set is £500! The set I like the look of the most is the kylo shuttle and I was still in two minds at the store to get it. I'm tempted to return the tie fighter for a different set. People are really shitting on it. The first order transport is £80 while I hated the look of it but after watching some reviews on YouTube I'm warming to it.

Tell me more about the TIE. I was strongly considering that set, but I passed last night due to the price and was regretting it. What's wrong with the build? I'm still so tempted to get one.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

January, along with Rebels and TFA microfighters.

And yeah, this line of sets is super disappointing. The prices are, for the most part, higher than usual even in the US (although the two cheapest sets, Rey's Speeder and the First Order Snow Speeder, have pretty average costs-per-brick). Many of the builds and designs just don't look that interesting. I went to five places late last night to see what items I could find, and the Legos had sold the second-least of all the items, behind only the Titanium Series vehicles, which seemed to be left in high numbers at every store I hit.

Tell me more about the TIE. I was strongly considering that set, but I passed last night due to the price and was regretting it. What's wrong with the build? I'm still so tempted to get one.

I haven't built mine yet. I think it's a cool design, and most reviewers seem to think it's a solid build however the minifigures are the weakest of the sets with nothing really unique on them compared to other of the mid-high range sets. The other issue others are talking about is like we have stated its the worst priced value set for what end product you get. £59.99 with little functionality compared to a lot of the other sets in the series simply because of the large pieces used in the wing panels.

I'm probably going to keep mine and end up getting the transporter down the line for the minifigures. You want me to build that set next?

• Options

It's a Lego TIE fighter. The wings are nearly identical to the previous one, though the connection uses the claw bits rather than technic pins.
    The biggest difference is the cockpit on the FO TIE is larger to accommodate 2 figures (no studs to secure them in place though). There's also some brickwork around the wing/pylon connection point on the FO TIE. Between the two factors, it looks a lot stubbier than the older TIE, despite being the same size.

Also, FO TIE has stickers on the center plate on the outside of the wings (the old one was printed) and some of the red splash next to the front window. It may just be me, but I've never been a fan of Lego stickers.
    Also, the old tie used some cool rod looking pieces for the wing spars, as opposed to the 1x12 black plate on the new one.

All in all, it was a fun kit (though it's still a TIE fighter so more than half the instructions are "Now go back and do that again for the other wing"). I like the new TIE Pilot helmet with the air tube (you get two of them), but Imperial guy with goofy hat 1 and Imperial guy with goofy hat 2 don't do much for me. I'd have liked to see an imperial colored ball droid.
    The older TIE kit came with a TIE Pilot, Imperial Officer, Imperial Gunner and a black R5)

Side by side comparison:
    Front cockpits open
    5vn2k1sjo769.jpg

Front cockpits closed
    p2ez92nnzr0i.jpg

Rear view
    fnfakjnmdjfb.jpg

Wing removed/pylon
    iz7ccz38mcvx.jpg

Side view of the wings
    1u6jk9l2h3bi.jpg

My TIE rack
    tnzo3y3fytep.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I picked up the Lego Wall•e. It's one of my favourite film so I could hardly resist.
    As a display piece it looks great, much bigger than I imagined for the price and very accurate to the film.
    The head is super-loose by design though, it just sort of spins around limply if you handle the model, there's no friction in the connecting pin. There is also only a swivel-joint in the wrists, which limits the poses you can do, but the arms do slide along the body so it is more expressive than it seems at first glance (despite critical lack of moveable eyebrow thingies).

All-in-all though it looks great and is a fun build, you get a lot of pieces for the cost, way more than the previous Ideas set I bought (Ghostbusters), it looks very cute sat on the corner of my desk.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of new set hauls, I placed a half assed bid on a sealed 20 year old set on eBay with no real hope of winning.

Then I won for like half what the set normally goes for. Came in the mail yesterday. The whole box is super minty and feels like I just bought it at WalMart.

Spyrius Robo Guardian 6949, my childhood holy grail set
    d4e4o5g414p4n5x5m444v2y2a4y2q2w214i4w5d41433v234t20314x2.jpg

I actually already own the set, but I didn't expect to win at the price I bid. Wish I had an actual picture of it handy but I didn't think to take one before leaving for the in-laws.

Im not a mint in box guy normally, but I might end up putting it in a shadow box or something.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Went to TRU to get the new X-wing, Left with a clearance AT-AP. I agree with what everyone else has said, the price point of this wave is way high. I'll probably pick up Rey's speeder at some point, but I'll probably wait for the inevitable white and blue X-wing. I'm tempted on the TIE as well because I missed out on the last one, but $70?! No thanks.

Also want to mention my TRU has the B-wing for $30 on clearance, and I highly recommend it. Easily my favorite rebel ship to build. Also wanted to ask, those who have bought the AT-AT, is it worth it? My birthday is in a few days and I'm thinking about asking the wife to pick it up for me.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I picked up the Lego Wall•e. It's one of my favourite film so I could hardly resist.
    As a display piece it looks great, much bigger than I imagined for the price and very accurate to the film.
    The head is super-loose by design though, it just sort of spins around limply if you handle the model, there's no friction in the connecting pin. There is also only a swivel-joint in the wrists, which limits the poses you can do, but the arms do slide along the body so it is more expressive than it seems at first glance (despite critical lack of moveable eyebrow thingies).

All-in-all though it looks great and is a fun build, you get a lot of pieces for the cost, way more than the previous Ideas set I bought (Ghostbusters), it looks very cute sat on the corner of my desk.

I really want the wall-e, but I thought it was pulled. Is it available? Is it gone?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I really want the wall-e, but I thought it was pulled. Is it available? Is it gone?

The wall-e set has two separate issues which has caused the recall confusion.

The head has a bad design based around a frictionless pin. All regions are affected by this and Lego suggests fixing it with your own pieces.

The second issue is a bad batch of, iirc, ratchet joints in the neck. This possibly affects only North America and is where the recall/delay discussion started. As far as I know, there hasn't been an actual recall or promise of fixed sets later. Some US Lego stores have stacks to sell and others have none with no information on when they're coming in.

The whole confusion started because the early reviewers noted the poorly designed head. When people heard the set was getting delayed for a neck joint, they assumed it was the head issue early reviews mentioned. Turns out the head flaw is Lego approved and that's why places like stores in the UK heard nothing about a recall.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Went to TRU to get the new X-wing, Left with a clearance AT-AP. I agree with what everyone else has said, the price point of this wave is way high. I'll probably pick up Rey's speeder at some point, but I'll probably wait for the inevitable white and blue X-wing. I'm tempted on the TIE as well because I missed out on the last one, but $70?! No thanks.

Also want to mention my TRU has the B-wing for $30 on clearance, and I highly recommend it. Easily my favorite rebel ship to build. Also wanted to ask, those who have bought the AT-AT, is it worth it? My birthday is in a few days and I'm thinking about asking the wife to pick it up for me.

If I didn't already have 3 B-wings on my bookshelves, I'd be really, really tempted.

• Options
    edited September 2015

Thanks for this. I think I'm going to go poke around to see if I can find some of these deals.

Edit: Also, @see317, thanks for that rundown. I have to say, of all the TIEs on your shelf, the Advanced from Rebels looks the best. It may have even changed my mind about that set, although it'll be 2-3 weeks before I'll purchase a full priced set again.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options

Thanks for this. I think I'm going to go poke around to see if I can find some of these deals.

Edit: Also, @see317, thanks for that rundown. I have to say, of all the TIEs on your shelf, the Advanced from Rebels looks the best. It may have even changed my mind about that set, although it'll be 2-3 weeks before I'll purchase a full priced set again.

That's my third favorite TIE actually (behind the UCS Interceptor all the way in the back and the UCS Fighter that doesn't fit on the shelf). Unlike all the other sets with the new spring powered launchers where you just push down on the back of the missiles to fire them, it has a trigger panel on the back that you twist to launch the projectiles. It's a nice touch that I'd like to see on more sets.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The wall-e set has two separate issues which has caused the recall confusion.

The head has a bad design based around a frictionless pin. All regions are affected by this and Lego suggests fixing it with your own pieces.

The second issue is a bad batch of, iirc, ratchet joints in the neck. This possibly affects only North America and is where the recall/delay discussion started. As far as I know, there hasn't been an actual recall or promise of fixed sets later. Some US Lego stores have stacks to sell and others have none with no information on when they're coming in.

The whole confusion started because the early reviewers noted the poorly designed head. When people heard the set was getting delayed for a neck joint, they assumed it was the head issue early reviews mentioned. Turns out the head flaw is Lego approved and that's why places like stores in the UK heard nothing about a recall.

Yeah, sorry, this was in the UK. They still had a shelf full of them so I'm assuming the fault which required a recall is just an NA thing maybe?