Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Well finished Poe's X-Wing and I love it. Reply solid build and fells like a mini UCS in quality. I do still think it's £10 overpriced but the design and quality build has been very impressive
    l3v0dghyzy5o.jpg
    fbxujbkcn69o.jpg

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just curious, is the wind screen printed or are those stickers?
    Also, does it have 4 of the spring loaded shooters?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Went to TRU to get the new X-wing, Left with a clearance AT-AP. I agree with what everyone else has said, the price point of this wave is way high. I'll probably pick up Rey's speeder at some point, but I'll probably wait for the inevitable white and blue X-wing. I'm tempted on the TIE as well because I missed out on the last one, but $70?! No thanks.

Also want to mention my TRU has the B-wing for $30 on clearance, and I highly recommend it. Easily my favorite rebel ship to build. Also wanted to ask, those who have bought the AT-AT, is it worth it? My birthday is in a few days and I'm thinking about asking the wife to pick it up for me.

If I didn't already have 3 B-wings on my bookshelves, I'd be really, really tempted.

The AT-AT is totally worth it, especially on sale. It doesn't have the snow speeder or the stormtrooper chairs of the last mini-fig scale they made, but it uses the extra part count to achieve a much closer look that is much more stable.

• Options
    Just curious, is the wind screen printed or are those stickers?
    Also, does it have 4 of the spring loaded shooters?

It's printed :) and it has 4 spring shooters and 2 of those small stud shooters

• Options
    edited September 2015
    So just over half way through this build and it's been pretty dull. The set suffers from too many small pieces thrown on for the sake of it, or as I suspect to make sure the piece count matches the £99.99 price point. This set is tiny for the price.
    8aueu4byrco8.jpg

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I watched a review of the new Falcon. It is amazing how it is so much just the last falcon with some minor cosmetic changes.

The only thing that looks good to me at all is the X-Wing but I'm not a fan of the black orange.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen the builds yet, but all of the new sets feel like they have inflated part counts specifically aimed at raising the price.

• Options
    The only thing that looks good to me at all is the X-Wing but I'm not a fan of the black orange.

Its my favourite set so far, I'm hoping the white and blue versions are released soon.

I haven't seen the builds yet, but all of the new sets feel like they have inflated part counts specifically aimed at raising the price.

It reminds me of one of the Man of Steel sets (with the escape pod) it was a really basic set but the pod was just littered with tiny pieces that were then covered up by larger piece making you question why all those pieces were just wasted.

The Kylo Ren Command Ship has the exact same problem, you are pitting down pieces at points that are underneath and hidden for no reason. For me the ship is literally a £60-70 set.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I watched a review of the new Falcon. It is amazing how it is so much just the last falcon with some minor cosmetic changes.

Ren's Speeder is pretty nice, I think. I mean, it costs a bit more than I'd like (even if the piece ratio is fair, it feels a little small for a 20 buck set), but it's a really good build. Some clever gimmicks, couple nice minifigs, lots of SNOT, and I like the thing's look.

It's got a very just-an-engine-and-a-seat feel to it that I like.

That said, prices in the US are high, prices outside are fucking insane, so I can't blame anyone for not going for it.

• Options
    Finally finished. Definitely looks impressive. Such a shame the wings don't fold out like they do in the film. I also still believe it's had excessive pieces added to bump up the price bracket but it's growing on me.

The wings are pretty huge when fully out.
    xv1jwgnz02k1.jpg
    v8g67fkgph6u.jpg

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Finally finished. Definitely looks impressive. Such a shame the wings don't fold out like they do in the film. I also still believe it's had excessive pieces added to bump up the price bracket but it's growing on me.

xv1jwgnz02k1.jpg
    v8g67fkgph6u.jpg

How far do the wings fold out, or are they locked in the upward position?

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I was a bit tipsy last night and somehow ended up with the new TIE fighter. I like it but looking at my receipt I'm still trying to figure out how this is a $70 set.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I was a bit tipsy last night and somehow ended up with the new TIE fighter. I like it but looking at my receipt I'm still trying to figure out how this is a $70 set.

Star Wars lego always come at a premium due to the cost of the license.

• Options
    Turkson wrote: »

Star Wars lego always come at a premium due to the cost of the license.

You also have to add the 10% hype tax, probably a few more percent for Disney since they've got their name on the box too...
    Part count wise, going off the standard .10 cents per it should be about a 50 dollar kit, maybe 60 considering the large plates in the wings (65 when you add in the Star Wars tax). But it shouldn't have been a 70 dollar kit, and that seems to be the largest complaint in the reviews I've read.

• Options

xv1jwgnz02k1.jpg
    v8g67fkgph6u.jpg

They don't fold out at all. The wings have an extending mechanism but thats it. In the trailers and confirmed by Starwars.com the actual ship wings extend outwards by about 60 degrees.

• Options

xv1jwgnz02k1.jpg
    v8g67fkgph6u.jpg

They don't fold out at all. The wings have an extending mechanism but thats it. In the trailers and confirmed by Starwars.com the actual ship wings extend outwards by about 60 degrees.

Wow, that sucks. Guess I'll strike that one off the list.
    Which reduces the list to Black TIE fighter, which I've already got. Guess I'm done for this wave, next please?

• Options

xv1jwgnz02k1.jpg
    v8g67fkgph6u.jpg

Wow, that sucks. Guess I'll strike that one off the list.
    Which reduces the list to Black TIE fighter, which I've already got. Guess I'm done for this wave, next please?

A few people have modified it so the wings do fold out, so it can be done, however people have said it loses stability. It is probably some mis communication between lego designers and the film makers as theres an issue with the TIE fighter having that new gun that shoots backwards in the trailer but lego have called it an antenna in the build and only let you move it 90 degrees.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    After hearing that LEGO had to go to Lucasfilm to get the designs, could only make their own drawings and couldn't take any other reference material, it doesn't seem surprising to me that the new vehicles are a little 'meh'.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    After hearing that LEGO had to go to Lucasfilm to get the designs, could only make their own drawings and couldn't take any other reference material, it doesn't seem surprising to me that the new vehicles are a little 'meh'.

This makes a lot of sense. The Snowspeeder and Rey's Speeder nail the broadstrokes of the other toys, but there are some pretty vast differences between the Lego designs and the designs present in all the other toys. It's especially bad with the Snow Speeder, which seems like it had a ton of bricks added to it to raise the price, and ends up looking nothing like the 3.75" SnowSpeeder for the action figures, or the micromachine of it.

Also, for what it's worth, the Titanium series of Kylo Ren's shuttle has the extending wing tops, but the wings don't rotate outward at all.

At this point I'm really looking forward to the battlepacks, microfighters, and whatever else trickles out in the January post-film wave of merchandise. I may actually be able to afford some of that stuff.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I picked up the TIE fighter and think it looks real nice sidled up to my Star Destroyer in the display case. It was fun to build and I think it looks pretty sleek. The only issue is that the wings are a bit difficult to secure correctly which means they may fall off if you are moving the set around. And 4 mini-figs seems like an odd choice (though not as weird as the A wing I got last year coming with Han Solo and Admiral Ackbar) but weird-helmet guy and dark skinned imperial officer can hop into the Star Destroyer no problem.

Like other people have said it should be a 50-60 dollar set though, I don't plan on picking up anything else from this wave...

Well my girlfriend suggested going halves on the Millennium Falcon so if anyone else has snatched that up I'd like to hear about it.

Also I've run out of space in my display case and I've only been collecting for like a year and a half, someone please send help.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am SUPER tempted to get the orange/black X-wing (yay, Flyers colors). Plus, it comes with the new droid. Looks like a solid build (minus the price). I really love the orange bricks.

Also, I finished getting the Halloween minifigs I wanted. I bought only two packs this week and felt out the plant guy and skeleton guy. I was so proud. Haha. I apparently lost the zombie pirate sword, but I think it'll turn up at some point. I didn't even really want him anyway (except the sword because fuck all).

I might grab the X-wing Friday while I grab Mario Maker and the Bowser Jr. amiibo.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am SUPER tempted to get the orange/black X-wing (yay, Flyers colors). Plus, it comes with the new droid. Looks like a solid build (minus the price). I really love the orange bricks.

Also, I finished getting the Halloween minifigs I wanted. I bought only two packs this week and felt out the plant guy and skeleton guy. I was so proud. Haha. I apparently lost the zombie pirate sword, but I think it'll turn up at some point. I didn't even really want him anyway (except the sword because fuck all).

I might grab the X-wing Friday while I grab Mario Maker and the Bowser Jr. amiibo.

As long as you don't mind the price Poe's X-Wing has been my favourite set so far to build. Really solid. The only downside in looks is the use of bright blue elastic bands on the rear for the mechanisms to work. but its so minor and the mechanism for the wings works really well. Plus the new helmets on the pilots look incredible.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    Also I've run out of space in my display case and I've only been collecting for like a year and a half, someone please send help.

I'll mail you a self addressed stamped box for you to load up with all your unwanted Lego, I'll hold onto it until you get a bigger display case.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Buy more Lego, build Lego display case out of Lego, I don't see what the problem is?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I have that display. Not terrible. I wouldn't buy the light they suggest you get with it (if it is still next to the display).

I actually want to grab another one of these at some point.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ooh. $70? Nice.. might help keep some dust off things of mine.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I have that display. Not terrible. I wouldn't buy the light they suggest you get with it (if it is still next to the display).

I actually want to grab another one of these at some point.

I also use it, sans-light, mostly for lego. It's next to me RIGHT NOW. Watching me.

• Options
    Ive been very naughty and got the Falcon and First Order Transporter. My poor wallet :(

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Worth it.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Ive been very naughty and got the Falcon and First Order Transporter. My poor wallet :(

Let us all know what you think of the Falcon. I'm trying to resist buying it myself.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Ordered the Palace Cinema, making it the fourth modular building for the shelf. Still annoyed the Haunted House and Town Hall disappeared before I could order them.

• Options

Let us all know what you think of the Falcon. I'm trying to resist buying it myself.

If you could do a review of the Transporter too, that'd be cool.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ordered the Palace Cinema, making it the fourth modular building for the shelf. Still annoyed the Haunted House and Town Hall disappeared before I could order them.

Ugh no kidding! The Town Hall prices are disheartening. I only have one building and I'd love the rest, but $500+ is just not going to happen

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Given the Christmas Village set this year is a re-release, they might be testing the waters on re-releasing older sets that sell for silly prices on the secondary market. I can't really see what they've got to lose.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    I support anything lego can do to irritate the reseller market.

• Options
    Given the Christmas Village set this year is a re-release, they might be testing the waters on re-releasing older sets that sell for silly prices on the secondary market. I can't really see what they've got to lose.

I had confused the one they were rereleasing. For some reason I thought it was last year's Santa's workshop.

I'm pretty happy to pick up the village toy shop.

• Options

If you could do a review of the Transporter too, that'd be cool.

Im currently (very slowly) building the transporter, right now first impressions I think its really fun build, some nice touches so far. I'll post pics once finished.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Crap. According to Toy's R Us website, the Lego Wall-e is available at the store close to me.

• Options
    Right so the first order transporter is finished.
    x9ixegjjzojh.jpg

Really enjoyable build. Even though the finished thing looks pretty awful. You must give hats off to the designer who has done everything to add interesting mechanics and cool features to the set. It also comes with some really awesome mini figures. The only down side is again far too expensive (£80 here). Well worth a look.