As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The list of things Konami should do is long enough to overload the infosphere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SoTN on switch would be nice

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just remake all the GBA/DS Castlevania games on Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Just remake all the Castlevania games on Switch.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Just remake all the games on Switch.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Just remake all the Castlevania games on everything.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Game music from Bloodstained they just included in an email.

Oh my god I love Michiru Yamane. <3<3<3

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The only ones I care about are 3, Dracula X remake, SOTN and Aria of Sorrow. I think the chances are good for 3 and AOS on Switch, but I highly doubt I'll see the other 2.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    The only ones I care about are 3, Dracula X remake, SOTN and Aria of Sorrow. I think the chances are good for 3 and AOS on Switch, but I highly doubt I'll see the other 2.

My top Castlevania games that I want to replay now are Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania 3 on the NES, and Devil May Cry 3.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bloodstained Panel at SXSW 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgjh3mOF9K0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I didn't watch the whole video, but I guess some people in the comments section are pissed that they reduced that water boss's breast size and are claiming it's because of "feminazis" or whatever, but I'm happy they altered her appearance. It looked a bit ridiculous in that playable alpha.

Anyway, saw this posted on twitter, completely unrelated to Bloodstained:

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    As soon as someone complains about SJWs or feminazis, they really don't have an opinion worth listening to. Those changes are good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder if the XBC2 backlash had anything to do with it?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    XBC2 sold over a million copies, I’m not sure how much actual backlash was felt

Also I searched last night and couldn’t find anything about this? Anyone complaining about it, I mean? So if everything is contained to one YouTube comments feed, I’ll simply stick with the usual “don’t read the comments especially on YouTube, Jesus” policy

• Options

Also I searched last night and couldn’t find anything about this? Anyone complaining about it, I mean? So if everything is contained to one YouTube comments feed, I’ll simply stick with the usual “don’t read the comments especially on YouTube, Jesus” policy

You're not wrong, although you can also often find these people in the Bloodstained kickstarter comments section too. And I suppose I should apply the same "don't read the comments" reasoning to that, I guess, but these are also the people who backed the game. I'll stop posting about fools like them, though; I'm personally pretty happy with the change to that boss's look.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Always makes you wonder what their logic is.

"Feminazis complained so the company changed it! We're gonna boycott!"
    "But what leverage was actually used if you think there's some power cabal?"
    "They threatened to boycott it!"
    "So you're saying they have bigger consumer power than you since the company is 'siding' with them."
    "No we have the bigger power!"
    "Then why would the company listen to them?"
    "Because they have the power!"
    etc

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

XBC2 is a solid game in spite of those issues, but it definitely hurt sales to some people. On the other hand, it probably increased sales to other groups, so... from a corporate perspective... yeah, doubt any lessons were learned.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    New Bloodstained update, focusing on the English voice acting.

Accompanying video interviewing a few of the voice actors, including Robbie Belgrade of SotN fame:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLR9r8Lunag

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I can't get over how direct Michiru Yamane is with the music in this game, as far as continuing the Castlevania feel. Also, those music tracks that someone linked a couple weeks ago? Some of that (AND MORE) has been on YouTube for almost a couple years now. And to the extent that they have extended versions that run for 30 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gzAUb8ArU

There's so much Curse of Darkness in that track, I love it.

Edit - WOW, and I stumbled across a couple early MIDI versions of things too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mysterious man!

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Semi-topical, on my way home from a friend's last Friday, I was listening to New Retro Wave on YouTube. It was around 1am and I was the only car on the highway in a wooded area. Generally spooky to begin with, but then the song that was playing hit 2:43...

https://youtu.be/NZf15xVrOW8
    ...and all was well and right in the world.

Gotta love absolutely random appearances of some of your favorite music of all time in the least likely of places.

Fawst on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Mysterious man!

Pretty sure it's Egoraptor. (Arin Hanson of Game Grumps)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Always makes you wonder what their logic is.

"Feminazis complained so the company changed it! We're gonna boycott!"
    "But what leverage was actually used if you think there's some power cabal?"
    "They threatened to boycott it!"
    "So you're saying they have bigger consumer power than you since the company is 'siding' with them."
    "No we have the bigger power!"
    "Then why would the company listen to them?"
    "Because they have the power!"
    etc

That's a common tactic among political movements. Umberto Eco identified it in his essay Ur-Fascism, but I don't think it's unique to fascism. We love our underdog narratives, so if you want to motivate people to take a stand against some imagined enemy, convince them that the enemy is big and faceless and powerful but simultaneously vulnerable to toppling by a sufficiently brave minority.
    The followers must feel humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies. When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers must be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

sorry, I got a little serious there.

So, Bloodstained looks pretty cool, guys, mirite?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Semi-topical, on my way home from a friend's last Friday, I was listening to New Retro Wave on YouTube. It was around 1am and I was the only car on the highway in a wooded area. Generally spooky to begin with, but then the song that was playing hit 2:43...

https://youtu.be/NZf15xVrOW8
    ...and all was well and right in the world.

Gotta love absolutely random appearances of some of your favorite music of all time in the least likely of places.

At first I wondered if that was just a coincidence since it's just the baking melody of the theme, but the guy shows up in the youtube comments and outright confirms it. Cool. :)

I'm still not sure what to think about the rise of synthwave and 80s nostalgia. I found that style of music super cheesy when I was a kid, but now I've really come around to enjoying it. Not enough to buy any (yet), but I'll happily listen to some when someone posts a youtube clip.

• Options
    Surprise Bloodstained update on Kickstarter today!
    We just received word from Roberto Piraino, Bloodstained brand manager at 505 Games, that he had an exciting new feature to announce—one that couldn't wait another day! Here he is to tell you everything you need to know:

Hello everyone, today we are proud to announce something truly unique and groundbreaking that no other videogame out there has done…

Players will have the option to mine cryptocurrency while playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night!

At launch, supported currencies will include Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Zcash, with additional currencies possibly being added at a later date. Players will also have the freedom of linking the currency wallet of their choice to the game’s mining function.

The team has been working on this feature for quite some time, and as you can imagine, the challenges have been numerous and daunting, but thanks to a lot of dedication and technical skill it’s become a reality.

At the moment, due to the resources required by modern GPUs for cyptocurrency mining, this feature will only be enabled for copies of Bloodstained on PC that meet certain system requirements, (system requirements TBD as we are still optimizing) but we are also working hard to make this feature a reality for our fans on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch* and Xbox One.

In the meantime, we’re happy to show a sneak peek at how currency mining in Bloodstained will work with a screencap of the menu screen where you’ll be able to select your options for mining currencies:
    dea8f051f64a8c92b04b7ae945bd89f6_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1522548742&auto=format&q=92&s=bc4310fe935dd21b763799c0bd83623c

We look forward to revealing and talking more about this feature and the possibilities it brings in the near future. For example, the team is currently evaluating launching “Igacoin” which will seek to decentralize the experience of dark gothic fantasy monster slaying and empower future fans with direct investment opportunities in the future of Koji Igarashi’s games and his partnership with 505 Games.

As always, we want to thank every single one of our fans for their support and interest, this amazing journey is made possible by all of you!

Roberto Piraino, a.k.a. Angel-Corlux

Bloodstained’s Brand Manager at 505 Games

*Currency mining feature not available for Nintendo Labo.

I have to admit that they got me to say "fuck you" when I first saw the posting on Facebook this morning before I remembered it was April 1st.

• Options
    Jeremy Parish, Retronaut extraordinaire, busted out his PC-Engine CD-ROM to test out his capture setup:

I don't think I'll ever experience Dracula X that way.

His personal youtube channel is also worth checking out. He's been focusing on the Game Boy and SNES as of late and intends to make a video for each game released for the system in the order they came out. Here's his video for Castlevania: The Adventure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZvGg6L7u2k

Teenage me would have disagreed with him about it being a bad game, mainly because damnit it was the only Castlevania game I had for the GB and I was going to enjoy it no matter what. Modern me can't enjoy it and will never beat it. I think the furthest I ever got was stage 3, and that was rare. The first stage's music kicks ass, though.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    You could hook up a PSP to TV-out and play the TG16 PC Engine version included in Dracula X Chronicles. While reasonably close, it's not identical as the TV-out from a PSP isn't quite full-screen, it's about 2/3rds

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    You could hook up a PSP to TV-out and play the TG16 PC Engine version included in Dracula X Chronicles. While reasonably close, it's not identical as the TV-out from a PSP isn't quite full-screen, it's about 2/3rds

I've actually done that, as well as played the game on my Wii. But it's still not the same as playing it on the original console with a CRT.

Although truthfully, they were close enough for me and perfectly enjoyable. Especially the Wii, where it filled up more of the screen.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I just saw this thread and I'm in love!

Give me a couple days to read through it all but please tell me there is some love for Harmony of Despair on the ps3! I haven't played in a long while but I would love to!

Edit: any character any level, doesn't matter!

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Scratchy wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I just saw this thread and I'm in love!

Give me a couple days to read through it all but please tell me there is some love for Harmony of Despair on the ps3! I haven't played in a long while but I would love to!

Edit: any character any level, doesn't matter!

I genuinely love HoD, but alas, I only have it on my Xbox 360.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    All good, debating buying a 360 now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Scratchy wrote: »
    All good, debating buying a 360 now.

Don't get one on account of me, please! I don't really do multiplayer anymore. But when I did, that game was amazing. I played with a few others from this forum around the time of release. It was relatively easy to get 6 people back then.

I've been like a broken record saying that they need to port it to Steam ever since, but I know that even if it did happen, it probably wouldn't go over very well. Especially if they microtransacted the shit out of it like they did with the 360 version (and they would!).

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I have and love Harmony of Despair as well, but I am almost certain to never play it again. I don't feel like putting down money for the online stuff.

If they port it to switch i'd be down for it though.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I stopped getting Live a year or more ago, but I still play Harmony of Despair by myself on my 360 occasionally. I'm only missing one item now (some boots that drop from R. The Count in Ch.10).

The biggest reason I want Konami to stop sucking is so that game gets ported to Steam (and also the other Castlevanias and Silent Hills and such, but mainly that one).

I'd even buy whatever new characters/levels they put out, provided the pricing was comparable to the old structure (which even then was over-priced, but compared to stuff like Street Fighter V costumes and whatnot it seems like a steal...and it's better than loot boxes at least). Albus would be great as a playable character and already has a completed sprite set. There were also voice lines back in the original release indicating Hammer would be playable (though it seems Fuma got released instead).

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    I just wish they'd make HoD backward compatible for the Xbox One. I'd play it again, I just don't want to grind the subweapons and powers all over again. Those took forever and a day. Come on Konami, you've already allowed SoTN to be backward compatible. It can't be too hard to port HoD too.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ZF_OM3boPvs

I screwed up the embed somehow on mobile. Anyway it's a wonderful live performance of CV64 intro.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ZF_OM3boPvs

I screwed up the embed somehow on mobile. Anyway it's a wonderful live performance of CV64 intro.

(fixed it for you)

I think I've seen other footage from this same concert on youtube, with Michiru Yamane coming out onstage to play piano and a "Die monster!" bit acted out. Pretty cool.

Also, anyone want memes? We got memes!

• Options
    What the hell did that meme originate from? It's been in overdrive the last week.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hrmph. Seated individual is playing Richter rather than Dracula. Object is thrown on the wrong line. Needs improvement; see me after class.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
This discussion has been closed.