As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the hell did that meme originate from? It's been in overdrive the last week.

It's from the show American Chopper, when the older guy fires his son.

SteevL on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/ZF_OM3boPvs

I screwed up the embed somehow on mobile. Anyway it's a wonderful live performance of CV64 intro.

(fixed it for you)

I think I've seen other footage from this same concert on youtube, with Michiru Yamane coming out onstage to play piano and a "Die monster!" bit acted out. Pretty cool.

Also, anyone want memes? We got memes!

Gooooddddd why didn't I think of it first

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Because your god is their god. And your god has no power here.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Part 2 of the voice actors interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNqhJ-e-Ybg

Didn't watch the whole thing, but it's got David Hayter, Rena Strober, and Fred Tatasciore.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hmm, this is neat. https://gematsu.com/2018/04/castlevania-grimoire-of-souls-announced-for-ios
    Konami has announced Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, a new action game entry in the Castlevania series for iOS devices. A release date was not announced. Users with an iOS device can sign up for a Japanese closed beta test here. Selected testers will be contacted by e-mail around mid-May. Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:

■ Story

A future where Count Dracula has been completely destroyed. It seemed like eternal peace came upon the world. However, a single letter delivered to Genya Arikado tried to put an end to that peaceful era. In order to verify the meaning of the words written in the letter—“The Grimoire has run wild and Count Dracula will be resurrected”—Genya Arikado heads off towards the letter’s sender…

■ System

Exhilarating battles where up to four players can cooperate. Strengthen your favorite character and take on the powerful enemies that block your path forward!

—Real-time co-op around the world.
    —Resurrect the dead with Soul Resurrection.
    —A four-player co-op boss rush.
    —A four-versus-four competitive mode.
    —Beautiful graphics.
    —Music from previous entries in the Castlevania series.
    —The curtain rises on a new Castlevania story.
    —Evolved and exhilarating action.

■ Characters

The protagonist of Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is Genya Arikado, and Lucy plays the role of his support. You can also use characters from previous Castlevania titles with an emphasis on pairs.

Genya Arikado
    A mysterious character who belongs to a top-secret Japanese government agency. Currently, only a handful of people know his true identity as the only being with the power to fight against Dracula. While he has unworldly good looks, he is unsociable and difficult to approach.

Lucy
    A female researcher who works for a research organization in the fight against Dracula. Despite her young age, she is a highly competent research magician and supports Arikado and company in battle through the Grimoire. Arikado and company are staying at her laboratory.

Other characters incldue:

Alucard
    Simon
    Charlotte
    Shanoa
    Maria

But also, why IOS?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Because a handheld or a console would take effort, giving a shit, and you wouldn't be able to microtransaction people to death.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Also all those sweet delicious mouth watering microtransactions.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    iOS because it's easier to develop for than the literally thousands of Android devices out there.

So this sounds like the Fire Emblem mobile game, I guess?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Meh. Seems somewhat interesting, but Castlevania is not the type of game I could enjoy on my iPad.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Konami has, as far as I remember, been on record as saying that they consider mobile to be not just the future of gaming but in the fashion they said it, the only gaming avenue other than pachinko machines that they consider viable.

Basically, at the last point that I had read, anything other than gambling machines and mobile devices is dead to Konami.

Because Konami.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I’m actually surprised Konami hasn’t done more things like this with their IPs.

Still no interest though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Konami has, as far as I remember, been on record as saying that they consider mobile to be not just the future of gaming but in the fashion they said it, the only gaming avenue other than pachinko machines that they consider viable.

Basically, at the last point that I had read, anything other than gambling machines and mobile devices is dead to Konami.

Because Konami.

Well, there was Metal Gear Survive!

...which was released with no real media push because its reveal mostly generated annoyance.

Which will probably convince them consoles aren't viable.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Because Konami.

Well, there was Metal Gear Survive!

...which was released with no real media push because its reveal mostly generated annoyance.

Which will probably convince them consoles aren't viable.

Plus, if I remember right, they were just riding MG Survive through to the end of its production cycle; like, when they decided to take their ball and go home, it was already in production, and unlike with PT, they had some actual work put in to it? So best to just follow through, get what they can from it, and then swear off consoles et al for any future development.

What's worse? Even though platforming is ass on mobile devices, there's every chance that the game will be more like "stages" without any platforming, and mainly story or card based as a lot of other games on mobile are, and that the game will do well anyways because it has the Castlevania name on it. Which would do more to cement their preconceived notion that mobile is the way forward, as well as that all other platforms are dead.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Hmm, this is neat. https://gematsu.com/2018/04/castlevania-grimoire-of-souls-announced-for-ios
    Konami has announced Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, a new action game entry in the Castlevania series for iOS devices. A release date was not announced. Users with an iOS device can sign up for a Japanese closed beta test here. Selected testers will be contacted by e-mail around mid-May. Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:

■ Story

A future where Count Dracula has been completely destroyed. It seemed like eternal peace came upon the world. However, a single letter delivered to Genya Arikado tried to put an end to that peaceful era. In order to verify the meaning of the words written in the letter—“The Grimoire has run wild and Count Dracula will be resurrected”—Genya Arikado heads off towards the letter’s sender…

■ System

Exhilarating battles where up to four players can cooperate. Strengthen your favorite character and take on the powerful enemies that block your path forward!

—Real-time co-op around the world.
    —Resurrect the dead with Soul Resurrection.
    —A four-player co-op boss rush.
    —A four-versus-four competitive mode.
    —Beautiful graphics.
    —Music from previous entries in the Castlevania series.
    —The curtain rises on a new Castlevania story.
    —Evolved and exhilarating action.

■ Characters

The protagonist of Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is Genya Arikado, and Lucy plays the role of his support. You can also use characters from previous Castlevania titles with an emphasis on pairs.

Genya Arikado
    A mysterious character who belongs to a top-secret Japanese government agency. Currently, only a handful of people know his true identity as the only being with the power to fight against Dracula. While he has unworldly good looks, he is unsociable and difficult to approach.

Lucy
    A female researcher who works for a research organization in the fight against Dracula. Despite her young age, she is a highly competent research magician and supports Arikado and company in battle through the Grimoire. Arikado and company are staying at her laboratory.

Other characters incldue:

Alucard
    Simon
    Charlotte
    Shanoa
    Maria

But also, why IOS?

"Neat" is not the word I would use. "Depressing" perhaps.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    All Konami is doing is pushing the door open even wider for Iga to succeed with Bloodstained.

They are literally handing him success on a silver platter. The Metroidvania genre is his for the taking.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All Konami is doing is pushing the door open even wider for Iga to succeed with Bloodstained.

They are literally handing him success on a silver platter. The Metroidvania genre is his for the taking.

Unless he manages to produce a Mighty No. 9.

Hopefully not!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    why is maria a kid in this one

is this castlevania judgement all over again

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Unless he manages to produce a Mighty No. 9.

Hopefully not!

Yeah, I'm as excited for Bloodstained as anyone, but there have been a lot of great Metroidvanias since Iga's last Castlevania. To me it's not a given that Bloodstained will be good. But seeing how I contributed $100, I really want to believe.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I recall Konami having declared they were done with the series. So is this their attempt to fish for interest? They should know that a (likely half-assed) iOS title isn't going to make people jump up for joy.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I don’t see the words ‘Silent Hill 2’ or ‘Bluepoint’, so I don’t give a fuck.

President Evil on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I don’t see the words ‘Silent Hill 2’ or ‘Bluepoint’, so I don’t give a fuck.

... you want them to make an iOS version of Silent Hill 2?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So HoD lite for iOS? Have touch screen controls progressed to that point yet? And why limit your potential customer base to Apple phones?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfr2fMulW1MvDwayte9QSnRsKugG2l8J8HAeuHrRpPnVpE64w/viewform

Brief Bloodstained survey sent out, not backer-specific. Mostly just a "how are we doing" survey, but it does have some other questions about where you want the development process to go(e.g. do you prefer release speed over release quality) and what types of post-release game content/DLC you'd be fine with.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfr2fMulW1MvDwayte9QSnRsKugG2l8J8HAeuHrRpPnVpE64w/viewform

Brief Bloodstained survey sent out, not backer-specific. Mostly just a "how are we doing" survey, but it does have some other questions about where you want the development process to go(e.g. do you prefer release speed over release quality) and what types of post-release game content/DLC you'd be fine with.

I have a feeling I'll have moved at least twice from the time the kickstarter launched to when it actually gets released. Maybe even three times if it comes out next year.

(I voted for release quality)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm going to use my psychic abilities to predict which outfit gets the most votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tNFSO_3dQ
    It's the bikini.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I'm going to use my psychic abilities to predict which outfit gets the most votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tNFSO_3dQ
    It's the bikini.

I’d actually expect the succubus over the bikini.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

I have a feeling I'll have moved at least twice from the time the kickstarter launched to when it actually gets released. Maybe even three times if it comes out next year.

(I voted for release quality)

I want it done once and done right.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I'm paying the 60 buckos, so I voted for the exclusive stuff to stay available for anyone because I'm not a lizard-person.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is there any indication when this game will be done?

I feel like it's been years

• Options
    I believe it has been years.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Is there any indication when this game will be done?

I feel like it's been years

Next month it'll be 3 years since the kickstarter launched, so yeah, it's been quite a while! They haven't said when it'll be done. Originally it was 2017, but they moved it back to 2018, but who knows if that's still accurate. All we can do is wait and hope for the best.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm ok with that.

General game development time is 2-4 years anyway. I'd rather get a complete game up front. I'm already over this whole Early Access fad.

• Options
    Honestly, I'm ok with that.

General game development time is 2-4 years anyway. I'd rather get a complete game up front. I'm already over this whole Early Access fad.

for side scrollers? Hollow Knight took just a tad over 2 years.

I guess that fits

Symphony of the Night is in my top 3, so waiting for this is killing me

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Being impatient is fine. As long as you don't insist a product be released unfinished just because you are impatient.

Which you are not, but the point still needs to be made

• Options
    The thing that makes me nervous is that Iga wasn't wholly responsible for Symphony of the Night -- he was assistant director. The director was Toru Hagihara. And then everything else Iga did was good but didn't capture 100% of the magic of SotN.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Symphony of the Night aged kinda badly though compared to a lot of these games. The item balance, like when / where you find things, isn't really that good and is probably the most out-of-whack in the series. Plus, as cool as the idea is for an inverted castle, it was pretty lazy game-time extension on the development side if you think about it. And one of the ways to unlock a couple of rooms (the entry way room with the giant rock; bat one way, dog with the other) is so obtuse and had no in-game hints that I'm not sure how anyone was supposed to find it organically.

I understand people have nostalgia for the game, especially since it was the first of its type, but you've gotta get real with it. Every game since made an effort to refine the formula and how sloppy that first run was. I don't want another Symphony of the Night. I want another Order of Ecclesia or Portrait of Ruin; the most recent takes.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    There are plenty of people who liked it for those reasons though. Nintendo hard was a thing (as in, "unfair" difficulty like obtuse secrets) and games being lengthened with cheap tricks like the upside down thing were oldschool, but I personally love those in games. I recently replayed SOTN with a difficulty mod and it was still amazing.

I think unlike a lot of these kickstarter deals, we have actually seen gameplay and visuals of the ingame stuff so we already have a good idea of what we are getting. It looks to be mostly exactly what we asked for. You should not be expecting a groundbreaking, epic game experience. What you should expect is a new entry very similar to SOTN that may have its warts, but overall be a good experience to have.

I still think though, that they should aim to get out the base game and add all that stretch goal stuff as free DLC. Shovel Knight did that, and did fine. If the base game is a good enough game, you don't NEED extras right away. They can keep you playing it though which is overall better for the experience. Plus, getting the thing out there early gives a boost in funds and adding things constantly keeps sales flowing. It should be a win win.

• Options
    I went into SoTN blind when it came out on PS1 originally and had no problems with anything in the game (aside from the massive frame lag at the stairs in the inverted castle). Still in my top 3 to this day.

• Options
    Symphony of the Night was not difficult at all.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Symphony of the Night was not difficult at all.

there were a few tough fights but several could be negated by equipment.

the boss design in that game was incredible though. The Granfalloon and Lord of the Flies in particular

This discussion has been closed.