Options

[Mass Effect] Is an awesome game. You should play it.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I, for one, am perfectly willing to sacrifice Miranda to the privelege of watching Legion walk around the Quarian flagship.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I, for one, am perfectly willing to sacrifice Miranda to the privelege of watching Legion walk around the Quarian flagship.

It's not Miranda you'll be sacrificing.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Also never not bring Legion to the Quarian flotilla in ME2.

Honestly I never have - mostly because if you do more than one mission after acquiring Legion (usually his Loyalty mission), you risk letting people die at the end.

No, the timer doesn't work quite like that.

Basically the game delays the timer if you have any loyalty missions left. So the important things to do are 1) leave Tali's loyalty for until after you get Legion and 2) talk to Legion right away so you get his loyalty mission on your roster. As long as you don't do any missions after getting Legion other than the Loyalty missions, then you're gold.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Obligatory

comic237a3.gif

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Bringing Legion on Tali's recruitment mission is fun too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    shep's eye poking through the visor always makes me lose it :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I was super bummed that Miranda was so hard to get killed during the suicide mission. When I tried, think everybody died but her.

Go in the vent, damn you. There are cookies and presents...and stuff.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Just take her with you to the final boss without talking to Oriana.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm always missing something, because I didn't mind Miranda that much. Like, she's down there on my list of squadmates. She can be kind of stuck up, but she adjusts. She learns!

Ashley, on the other hand...

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I just find her backstory of being genetically perfect abit confusing when she has buck teeth and is just kind of...awkward in general.

Don't get me wrong, Yvonne Strahovski is a very beautiful woman but they did a bad job capturing that. Definitely one of the worst character designs in my opinion. Uniform, personality, etc. This is the sort of thing I ordinarily wouldn't comment on because I don't really care what the female characters look like (I actually prefer Ashley in ME1 to her ME3 version) but when they try to make abit of celebrity sex appeal a part of the character, it sticks out.

That and more importantly she kind of nailed a lot of the aspects of what I hated about Cerberus, super science dickery in particular.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I just find her backstory of being genetically perfect abit confusing when she has buck teeth and is just kind of...awkward in general.

Don't get me wrong, Yvonne Strahovski is a very beautiful woman but they did a bad job capturing that. Definitely one of the worst character designs in my opinion. Uniform, personality, etc. This is the sort of thing I ordinarily wouldn't comment on because I don't really care what the female characters look like (I actually prefer Ashley in ME1 to her ME3 version) but when they try to make abit of celebrity sex appeal a part of the character, it sticks out.

Sort of like how Diana Allers is creepy, ugly and poorly acted.

Except at least Miranda's voice actress is decent.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Sort of like how Diana Allers is creepy, ugly and poorly acted.

Except at least Miranda's voice actress is decent.

It's as though we suck at 3D modelling of human beings. Crazy.

• Options
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I am also perfect. Perfectly spherical.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Did a platinum solo run this morning with the Batarian Slasher. 9 waves survived, had used two missiles, an ops pack, and an ammo pack by wave 10. Wave 10 ends up being 4 nodes. First node is completely exposed and also in sight of a spawn point. Needless to say the game ended there.

It is not a good objective.

If by not good you mean "the worst thing that could happen ever", then yes, I agree. Had one of my Platinum solo tries ruined by that one on Hydra. Some objective locations are literally impossible to complete in a Platinum solo.

Also, 9 waves on a Slasher with plenty of resources left? That's pretty damn good! The only way I even managed to solo Platinum was on a Turian Ghost with a Harrier and Acolyte.

Just wanted to mention this- the Slasher is a really really powerful character. I wonder if it's because he was released relatively late in that big batch of characters that he doesn't get more play. Still he's one of two characters with grenades plus a useful biotic primer. And while he probably doesn't have quite the offensive power of the Drell Adept, Warp + Cluster Grenades still makes for a terrific combination. In some ways better than Reave because of warp's biotic explosion evolution. Does enough damage to pretty reliably take a Banshee out of teleport mode. And then he has Batarian fitness to boot.

(I realize you weren't saying he was a bad character. I mainly just felt like extolling the virtues of a character people don't seem to often talk about.)

• Options
    I didn't mind Miranda either but I do agree that Bioware would've been better off had they not attempted to make her look like Yvonne. About the only celebrity import that seemed to work out well for them was TIM. Everyone else seemed to be slightly stuck in the valley.

• Options
    I actually really like Miranda's concept art depicted on the wiki, in the all black with blonde hair.

That looks pretty cool.

• Options
    I dunno, they used a lot of 'highly attractive people' face modelling that worked fantastically, the most obvious one being Sheploo. But also Kaiden, Liara, Samara. Maybe it's because those other people are actual models? I don't know. I feel like those models were tweaked a bit more than Strahovski's model was, like they spent more time simplifying/cartoonifying them so that they looked less awkward as 3 d models.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Maybe the artist thought it looked good.

So I am playing ME1. I have been for, like, two years? It struggles to keep my attention. At all. It's not the ui or any of the problems people have with it normally that I've seen you guys talk about. I just...don't find the world all that interesting. The game is interesting when I play it, but when I stop...I forget to start again. It's weird. It's like it has nothing to make me keep thinking about it in between sessions, which is something I probably need with my low attention span.

I have a copy of 2, but I want to finish 1. I think I'm probably near the end.

Is it worth finishing 1 so I can import a copy? I don't remember or honestly actually care about any of the decisions I made in 1.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Also never not bring Legion to the Quarian flotilla in ME2.

Honestly I never have - mostly because if you do more than one mission after acquiring Legion (usually his Loyalty mission), you risk letting people die at the end.

Use the Gibbed save editor to edit Legion in as a squad member after the first mission on Freedom's Progress is finished.

There is tons of dialogue for him throughout the entire game. I'm not sure why - my theory is that it was originally going to be the Geth who rebuilt Shepard, not Cerberus, and Legion was going to be your liaison in the early game.

• Options
    edited April 2014

So I am playing ME1. I have been for, like, two years? It struggles to keep my attention. At all. It's not the ui or any of the problems people have with it normally that I've seen you guys talk about. I just...don't find the world all that interesting. The game is interesting when I play it, but when I stop...I forget to start again. It's weird. It's like it has nothing to make me keep thinking about it in between sessions, which is something I probably need with my low attention span.

Is it worth finishing 1 so I can import a copy? I don't remember or honestly actually care about any of the decisions I made in 1.
    ME2 and ME3 did play a lot better than the first game even if I do miss the feel of the first game at times.

Level design is also alot more varied and unique. No vehicles, no repeat warehouses with the stairs on the left leading up and that room at the other end of the place, no barren world exploration.

Theres not really much in the way of loot and stat building isn't as prevalent but it does become a far more competent cover based shooter.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    My understanding was that the Reaper IFF tag was going to come from a different tag, but lolEA decided that it should be part of the same mission, locking the vast majority of Legion's dialogue behind the deaths of your crew.

• Options
    At sort of a crossroads.

A question concerning the citadel DLC and something in the first game.
    I'm at Virmire and I kind of want to go full on evil bastard and just shoot Wrex in the face because I never got to see any of the Wreav stuff in ME3 but I haven't played Citadel before, is it worth leaving Wrex alive to see him in the DLC?

Decisions..hmm.

• Options

This is how I felt of 1. I have since played it through many times, but the first time around? It was ok, but not all that grabbing.

ME2, on the other hand? Possibly my favorite game of all time.

I think if you can get to the end game of ME1, though, you'll find playing that section -starting at Ilos - eminently worth playing.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    At sort of a crossroads.

A question concerning the citadel DLC and something in the first game.
    I'm at Virmire and I kind of want to go full on evil bastard and just shoot Wrex in the face because I never got to see any of the Wreav stuff in ME3 but I haven't played Citadel before, is it worth leaving Wrex alive to see him in the DLC?

Decisions..hmm.

Yes.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Cambiata wrote: »

This is how I felt of 1. I have since played it through many times, but the first time around? It was ok, but not all that grabbing.

I think if you can get to the end game of ME1, though, you'll find playing that section -starting at Ilos - eminently worth playing.

Thanks for the advice guys but I was actually asking what the drawbacks are of ignoring ME1 and just starting ME2 with a fresh save.

Since I don't remember what choices I made at this point anything they would affect would be out of the blue anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes.
    Thanks.

*lowers murder pistol*

Thanks for the advice guys but I was actually asking what the drawbacks are of ignoring ME1 and just starting ME2 with a fresh save.

Since I don't remember what choices I made at this point anything they would affect would be out of the blue anyway.
    I know there are certain party members that will die in Mass Effect 1 when and if certain decisions are made and I believe by default, the character you could save is considered dead if you don't import.

Theres also one point in ME1 where you have to choose between two people, the one you save returns in a cameo in ME2 and as a full blown party member in ME3.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    If you're like me and don't want to do any of the romance, you're going to need an ME1 save.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Huh.
    Well I don't remember anything that would relate to any of that.

Also I don't like that default = dead idea much. I know I know trilogy decisions across games yada yada. I still don't like it. By default they should be alive.

I guess I'll finish ME1 just in case I accidentally did something right in the past I guess.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Man, now I want a version of Mass a Effect where Shepard was rebuilt by the Geth.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    masseffectsaves.com will let you import someone else's ME1 save that looks nice.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    If you're like me and don't want to do any of the romance, you're going to need an ME1 save.

I do the romances because they are hilarious.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The end of ME1 is totally worth reaching. Also, if you have Wrex around, that's a plus.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There is tons of dialogue for him throughout the entire game. I'm not sure why - my theory is that it was originally going to be the Geth who rebuilt Shepard, not Cerberus, and Legion was going to be your liaison in the early game.

They wrote incidental dialogue for just about everyone for most missions, didn't they? If I recall, sorting out mission order and sequencing of ME2's non-linear chunks came way later in development.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Playing the entire game with Legion is just required, at least once.

Strikor on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    my first playthrough was default, i didnt import my saves or sex anyone up. wrex it is assumed was killed which is the only real reason imo to bother importing, he is a cool dude and wreav is a creepy fuck. if you jump into 2 right now miranda asks you some questions to test your cognitive abilities or whatever and you get to choose who was killed on virmire and who was chosen as councilor.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    WREX DIES

okay now im finishing me1

my bro can't die

he's my bro

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Wrex has always been my favorite party member. He's the lovable uncle of Shepherd's gallery of crazy bastards.

Funny, tired, badass and just kind of all around depressed. He's got "I'm too old for this shit" written all over him.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I dunno, they used a lot of 'highly attractive people' face modelling that worked fantastically, the most obvious one being Sheploo. But also Kaiden, Liara, Samara. Maybe it's because those other people are actual models? I don't know. I feel like those models were tweaked a bit more than Strahovski's model was, like they spent more time simplifying/cartoonifying them so that they looked less awkward as 3 d models.

Well. People poop on Ashley's model quite a bit too. And Allers. Samara and Liara are both alien, so it's harder to tell, but personally, I felt Liara's face was fine, but Samara's would weird me out on a human. Kelly, Traynor and Kaidan's faces look... better, but definitely really weird in certain shots. Just looking at the pictures in the ME Wiki, it's more that they look "okay" from the common angles you see them at in dialogue scenes, but for example, you can actually see the line that cuts Kelly's face from her cheek.

For me, a huge part of it is that I know what Yvonne Strahovski looks like on TV, and not the others, so Miranda weirds me out even more. (Also, she's a dyed blonde, so in my mind, she just has a wig on with front and back implants and lawd knows what else....)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm amazed no one ever adopted the quarians or even gave them a shitty hand me down planet.

Thats kind of a giant humanitarian crisis floating around in space. Even with the mistakes of the geth going rogue, seems like the kind of thing the races would take notice of.

The Hanar could always use more indentured slaves, right?
    (talking about before the events of ME3 of course)

Dr. Chaos on