Options

[Mass Effect] Is an awesome game. You should play it.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I have been MEMPing (...or attempting to since there are few lobbies at like midnight central) the last few days between attempting to finally complete my femshep run. I even bought the Leviathan DLC so I could look forward to something that wasn't the ending.

It is so hard to play a game looking forward to all that disappointment. On the plus side, I'll finally see this extended cut. When I played through it on my maleshep I shot the kid in the face and was all "Well, at least still a modicum better than the original ending because I can." Then I didn't want to slow-walk for twenty minute to replay it. And that was a year ago.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I have been MEMPing (...or attempting to since there are few lobbies at like midnight central) the last few days between attempting to finally complete my femshep run. I even bought the Leviathan DLC so I could look forward to something that wasn't the ending.

It is so hard to play a game looking forward to all that disappointment. On the plus side, I'll finally see this extended cut. When I played through it on my maleshep I shot the kid in the face and was all "Well, at least still a modicum better than the original ending because I can." Then I didn't want to slow-walk for twenty minute to replay it. And that was a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVJL19akH0

Extended cut doesn't make things much better.

Priest on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVJL19akH0

Extended cut doesn't make things much better.

I'd say it makes things much better.

They were just so bad in the first place it's still, you know, not that good.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Eh, the extended cut answers a lot of the nitpicky points, but the fundamental problems of the ending are still present. I probably wouldn't care about most of the smaller issues if the end had been as compelling and well done as the rest of the game.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think the fundamental thing about the extended cut is that it would have been satisfactory had it been the ending all along.

However, given the fact that the extended cut was something they did specifically to address the terrible original ending, for them to then go ahead and not actually address most of the original flaws, well - why bother?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I actually think the EC gets more credit than it should because the original was so terrible

the whole sequence after the anderson convo is still a giant non sequitur and leaves a lot of important story bits hanging, especially if you don't play leviathan.

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    this is the ending
    shepandersonend_zps072e7ae7.jpg

and then you and the all the aliens fly around the galaxy in a long war battling the reapers that spans generations, desperately trying to keep the citadel in one piece

and there's lots of cool huge space battle cut scenes, and bad ass missions leading armies on planetary assaults to retake lost ground

and me4 comes along, set centuries in the future, the galaxy is a very different place as happens when civilizations fall, and is divi'd up between reaper controlled space and free sentient forces. everyone from the old trilogy is obviously long gone except for some asari and krogan. liara makes some cryptic remark about your character reminding her of someone she used to know when you inevitably meet.

or
    you can go upstairs instead and watch the star wars prequels with that space kid

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    this is the ending
    shepandersonend_zps072e7ae7.jpg

And then the Crucible fires, the Reapers start to explode, Shepard coughs up a little more blood, smiles, and dies. THE END.

After the credits, there's a scene at a memorial that varies depending on your decisions.

Sometimes less is more.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    maybe but these are the things i think of when doing playthroughs now, what the ending actually is doesnt practically matter we'll never get to play our character again, but the effort put into the final convos and cutscene, its just so shitty (imo).

anyway, i was going to try playing a renegade character, i for some reason imagined it as a han solo type, wise crackin and shootin mercs first but really a nice guy. its... not like that at all.

• Options
    maybe but these are the things i think of when doing playthroughs now, what the ending actually is doesnt practically matter we'll never get to play our character again, but the effort put into the final convos and cutscene, its just so shitty (imo).

anyway, i was going to try playing a renegade character, i for some reason imagined it as a han solo type, wise crackin and shootin mercs first but really a nice guy. its... not like that at all.

No.

Renegade, more and more as Bioware figured out how to make it something other than "everything not paragon", is Jack Bauer in space.

Jack Bauer doesn't really do puckish rogue.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Renegade in Mass Effect 1 was downright evil in many situations. They got better about that in subsequent games, but yeah...

I can't actually remember any specific scenarios offhand, but I know that several times during my recent renegade meershep run I sat back and went...whoa, I did NOT expect that to happen.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    There were only two times I reloaded after a renegade interrupt, and they were both in ME2, within a hundred feet of one another: jacking Al-Jilani in the face and going gestapo on Mouse.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Not everyone can be like Mike Thorton.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Best Renegade move is Zaeed's loyalty mission.

Burn you son of a bitch.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

Burn you son of a bitch.

The best thing about that is
    You don't actually see Zaeed die. And we all know what happened the last time someone "killed" him.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I had this great dissecting argument about how the EC, while better, was still shitty, but then I had to remind myself that this game is like three years old, and I'm just too old for that sort of nonsense anymore.

Between that, DA2, and SW:ToR, I've washed my hands of Bioware. (Noting that I blame it on EA)

Oh, and for the record, my favorite ending was "Thanks for playing, go buy DLC!" /slitwrists Someone come experience some schadenfreude in front of me.

Priest on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't think age is a reason not to discuss it. I think Mass Effect is a worthy enough piece of art to continue discussing it, no matter how old it gets. I'm sad to not have your post to read. And not just because I agree with you! I'd have like to read it even if it were a detailed discussion of why the ending isn't so bad.

• Options
    Not to draw any parallels, but the age of the Mona Lisa doesn't stop people from critiquing it.

You people are not filling me with hope for when I eventually work up to the ending though. Everything ...except for how they try to make Kai Leng a badass and completely fail... is pretty much good right up until just after the Anderson + Shepard part.

• Options
    Not to draw any parallels, but the age of the Mona Lisa doesn't stop people from critiquing it.

I tried to avoid direct comparison to the classics, because it tends to make people's eye's roll. But I do think that some video games will be viewed as true classics some day, and I hope that Mass Effect is one of them.
    You people are not filling me with hope for when I eventually work up to the ending though. Everything ...except for how they try to make Kai Leng a badass and completely fail... is pretty much good right up until just after the Anderson + Shepard part.

Wait, are you saying you've seen the original ending and are trying to work up to watching the EC? Or you've never seen any of the endings and are trying to work up to watching it for the first time?

• Options
    I've seen the original ending. And I played the EC briefly ...in that I shot the kid and then everything died. I haven't seen the explanatory slideshow and such that are supposed to make everything "better".

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I tried to avoid direct comparison to the classics, because it tends to make people's eye's roll. But I do think that some video games will be viewed as true classics some day, and I hope that Mass Effect is one of them.

My only grudge with the comparison is that Bioware took Mona Lisa, which the Mass Effect series was right up until the end, and turned it into Ecce Homo

• Options
    Video games are enough in their infancy wherein I might compare the early 8 bit stuff to cave painting, and therefore Mass Effect might be... Bronze age art, maybe? The Mona Lisa represents a height of skill that video games haven't reached yet. The Mask of Agememnon perhaps doesn't look that much more like the Mona Lisa than that Ecce Homo does, but it's still a worthwile piece of art history.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    I guess my thing with the collector weapons is I don't like the heat/cooldown of the weapons. I like being able to just hit R and reload the weapon not wait 30 seconds to shoot again.

I don't use SMGs at all, I am at about 1% completion of the SMG mastery. Right now I am just doing more casual multiplayer gaming (when my internet connection decides to let me complete a game).

I beat ME3 with my ME1 character imported through and my ending was seeing Joker land the Normandy on a deserted jungle planet and pretty much nothing else that I recall. I am struggling to get myself to replay the game through and do all the missions to see the new EC ending that still "isn't that good".

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »

Burn you son of a bitch.

The best thing about that is
    You don't actually see Zaeed die. And we all know what happened the last time someone "killed" him.

Er, did I get the quote wrong?

I meant

edit: Hmm, it was supposed to start at 5:05. Just go to 5 minutes.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    The thing I liked the most of the EC, was how it changed the ending from being the end of Mass Effect as a setting, to simply the end of Shepard's story, and there is a difference.

The original ending destroyed everything about the setting: Space travel, biotics, the culture, everything.

The greatest triumph of the extended cut, is that it allows the setting (ie, the universe) to continue. Which is no small thing. One of my largest beefs with the original ending was that it acted as if the universe as over.

Which sucked.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Alternatively: Fry, you son of a bitch.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the best renegade move is the one on thessia where you throw the eclipse merc out the glass window

or maybe the one on miranda's mission, but mostly for that one salarian

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    "You talk too much" is pretty great.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Kick_04 wrote: »
    I guess my thing with the collector weapons is I don't like the heat/cooldown of the weapons. I like being able to just hit R and reload the weapon not wait 30 seconds to shoot again.

Understandable but it syngergizes nicely with power cooldowns. Basically, use a power, shoot a little while power is on cooldown, use a power, etc.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    "You're working too hard."

Still not sure why that was renegade.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    "You're working too hard."

Still not sure why that was renegade.

It was a Batarian. Should have been a Paragon interrupt.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Happy Birthday Shepard! The Krogan Baked you a cake!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    My fav renegade move was the Chatty Krogan in Mordins' loyalty mission.
    Just the fact that it gave you so many looooong chances to use it, just to shut that guy up. (There should have been a secret achievement for not pulling the trigger, just to see how many people never get it)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Alternatively: Fry, you son of a bitch.

Zaeed is so cool

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    The best Renegade is the window-throwing, but only if you hit it so fast so that the merc doesn't get his line out.

"I don't--- WAAAAAHHhhhh..."

"...how about goodbye?"

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    Renegade interrupts?

Mordin: Not like this. I'm not... ready...

Wrex: I know... what you did... Shepard!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Renegade interrupts?

Mordin: Not like this. I'm not... ready...

Wrex: I know... what you did... Shepard!

I hate you.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    My ending for the Ending was that Shepard never made it onto the Citadel.
    The Shepard we see there is nothing more than the clone from the end of the Citadel DLC, who finally has the chance to be the Shepard that the galaxy needs - to be themselves, with their own agency, instead of just your shadow.

It doesn't fully track, but fuck it. That's the ending.

Dac on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    @Dac put that shit in spoilers, you're ruining the Citadel DLC for people who haven't played it.

• Options
    Okay. I thought the limit was over since we're basically giving away what you can do at the end of the Krogan Genophage.