As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The light rail takes 38min to get from the airport to westlake...

I remember this because that is the max time a stargate can stay open...

>.>
    <.<
    The "Central Link Light Rail" goes from the airport to the bus tunnel in downtown Seattle, with its last stop at Westlake Center, and runs from 5am to 7am on weekdays and Saturday, 6am to midnight Sunday and Holidays. Westlake Center is a mall on 4th and Pine - to get from there to the convention center, go one block over from Pine to Pike, and three blocks up from 4th to 7th.

The spendy option is Shuttle Express, a shared-ride shuttle service, it's around $60 for round trip.

Your times are... off :p
    http://www.soundtransit.org/schedules/central-link-light-rail

Runs from 5am to 1am on weekdays.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Alright thanks. :3 I guess the only question is how will I tell PAX people apart from other people? ...Besides cosplay. X3

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Alright thanks. :3 I guess the only question is how will I tell PAX people apart from other people? ...Besides cosplay. X3

Oh...you'll know.

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    ...Okay I can probably tell yeah. X3

Thank you all. :3

Just need to buy a few last minute things and I will be all prepared!

Oh, and, does anyone know if Onpeak has released the info to the hotels yet? Want to call asap just in case.

• Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The "Central Link Light Rail" goes from the airport to the bus tunnel in downtown Seattle, with its last stop at Westlake Center, and runs from 5am to 7am on weekdays and Saturday, 6am to midnight Sunday and Holidays. Westlake Center is a mall on 4th and Pine - to get from there to the convention center, go one block over from Pine to Pike, and three blocks up from 4th to 7th.

The spendy option is Shuttle Express, a shared-ride shuttle service, it's around $60 for round trip.

The actual schedule is here. Last year, my flight was scheduled to arrive at 11:57. The last train to downtown (Westlake) was 12:10. My flight arrived a couple minutes late. I ran all the way to the light rail station. I semi-remembered the path from 3 years prior. I still had to purchase my ticket. I got to the ticketing machine, chose SEATAC to Westlake, put my credit card in, then...
    ran up to the rail. Saw the doors were closed. Gave a questioning look to the officers on the platform. They told me to press the button. The door opened. I was in. Waited a couple minutes. I was off. Only paid $3. The end. Note: data is horrible at 1am when you're trying to find a hotel with Google maps and GPS. I met a couple people who got off the same train and were having as much trouble as I was locating which way to go and the address of their hotel.

Anyways, this year they've added how to get the bus to downtown if you need to. My worst-case scenario last year was call a cab and pay $35.

Also, @Dreamwriter‌ , your schedule is a bit off. The rail doesn't service downtown after 12:10am (way different than 7am) (incoming). For Sunday it's 6:19am to 11:09pm (incoming).

BLaZuRE on
    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    is there a list of pax parties somewhere?

• Options
    brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • Options
    PagzPagz Registered User regular
    Never received my Omegathon email. Pax site lists no information about Omegathon registration. Sincerely hope they go back to the original opt in system next year. This is the first Omegathon I've not been in opted in for. Very sad.

• Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    Please forgive me if I've missed this popping up somewhere, but how do you enter tourneys? There are a couple here I would really like to dip my hand into if I get the chance.

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    Pagz wrote: »
    Never received my Omegathon email. Pax site lists no information about Omegathon registration. Sincerely hope they go back to the original opt in system next year. This is the first Omegathon I've not been in opted in for. Very sad.
    Only 20 people are selected for the Omegathon at PAX prime, and the selection was made months ago. I'm not sure what you mean? There's never been "registration" for the omegathon listed on the website.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Cennedi wrote: »
    Please forgive me if I've missed this popping up somewhere, but how do you enter tourneys? There are a couple here I would really like to dip my hand into if I get the chance.
    Go to the area of pax where they are being held at the very beginning of the day on which they are held. There you should find enforcers that will help you sign up.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Only 20 people are selected for the Omegathon at PAX prime, and the selection was made months ago. I'm not sure what you mean? There's never been "registration" for the omegathon listed on the website.

@zerzhul wasn't it more or less an "auto opt-in" if you had 4-day passes (or single day passes for all 4 days) versus the "click a checkbox if you're interested" method of last year?

Edit: After reading the reply below from @SkeleVader I found the email he was referring to, subject line "Interested in being an Omeganaut?", received on May 30 for me.

Hingo on
    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    I don't remember exactly, but I don't understand what that poster means by "I didn't get my omegathon email"

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hingo wrote: »

zerzhul wasn't it more or less an "auto opt-in" if you had 4-day passes (or single day passes for all 4 days) versus the "click a checkbox if you're interested" method of last year?

No, this year they sent out an E-mail a few days after the sale. Anyone who would be at PAX all four days could fill out the form in the E-mail and be in the pool to be picked.
    They did it this way since in year's past people would just click the Omegathon box and not really know what they were signing up for.

zerzhul on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Ah. Well this is a bit late to be bothered by it, considering when the omeganauts were picked.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, it looks like the Paramount is its own venue this year (for signing and swag bags), with Main Theater somewhere else for the big presentations and concerts. So, uh... where's the new main theater?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Okay, it looks like the Paramount is its own venue this year (for signing and swag bags), with Main Theater somewhere else for the big presentations and concerts. So, uh... where's the new main theater?

The main theater is (back) at Benaroya Hall this year.

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    fayt349fayt349 Registered User new member
    I have a question. I'm buying tickets off a friend of mine since she got extras. She only got the badges in the mail but not the registration packets. If I buy the badges off of her is that enough and will I be set?

• Options
    youngeric86youngeric86 Registered User new member
    How do the Table top and console tournaments work? do I just show up around that time and sign up? Is the Settlers of Catan tournament multiple days or is it several smaller tournaments?

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    fayt349 wrote: »
    I have a question. I'm buying tickets off a friend of mine since she got extras. She only got the badges in the mail but not the registration packets. If I buy the badges off of her is that enough and will I be set?

As long as the passes are legit and you have them in hand at the convention, you're good to go.
    How do the Table top and console tournaments work? do I just show up around that time and sign up? Is the Settlers of Catan tournament multiple days or is it several smaller tournaments?

It's probably a better idea to sign up for the tournaments that you want to participate in at the start of the day, because some of the more popular tournaments (e.g. Smash Bros) will fill up fast.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by registration packet. All that's usually in there is a short letter and the badges. All you need to get in to PAX is a legit PAX badge.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular

What Raven said + the Catan tourney is spread out over all 4 days. You can participate in any of the first round heats on Fri/Sat/Sun, semis and finals are on Monday. Details can be found in the TTT thread.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    fayt349fayt349 Registered User new member
    I'm not sure what you mean by registration packet. All that's usually in there is a short letter and the badges. All you need to get in to PAX is a legit PAX badge.

For example take a look at this http://gyazo.com/0dff80d67b26dd64d07966285c930bd8

It says two registration packets. That link is from a craigslist post but I'm not buying it from that, i'm buying it from a friend.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, that's a lie. What @zerzhul is true, and I can verify this as I got my badges on Friday. A small letter and badges were all that were there.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Protip, dont trust craigslist posts.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Yeah, there is no such thing as a registration packet to register yourself at the door.

• Options
    Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    Any idea when a map will go up? Or am I blind and it is already there?

• Options
    ElliadElliad Registered User regular
    This is my first PAX. Does anyone know roughly how much autographs will be?

Attended
    PAX Prime 2014
  • Options
    Elliad wrote: »

My understanding is free.... (I never paid for any when I was down in 2011)

• Options
    Any idea when a map will go up? Or am I blind and it is already there?
    It will likely be available via the guidebook guide whenever that goes live.

• Options
    Elliad wrote: »
    Gabe and Tycho and PA staff do autographs for free, cause fuck paying for autographs. I have no clue about anyone else though.

• Options
    celycely Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    ...Okay I can probably tell yeah. X3

Thank you all. :3

Just need to buy a few last minute things and I will be all prepared!

Oh, and, does anyone know if Onpeak has released the info to the hotels yet? Want to call asap just in case.
    Hotels went up at the same time as PAX badge sales. I just checked onpeak's website (https://compass.onpeak.com/e/43XPP14/1) and there are a couple hotels left, but there's only one that has rooms available thur-mon and it's pretty far away in Bellevue. If you can't find a room, you can try the room share thread.

cely on
    rqUHgCM.png
  • Options
    That's not what the poster meant by released info to the hotels. The poster meant whether or not OnPeak had transferred their hotel reservation to the hotel in question.

• Options
    mentaljasonmentaljason Registered User regular
    How early do people usually queue up for panels that are at the start of the day (10am) in the satellite theatres? Wondering if an hour is early enough for Volition on Friday
    And is the physical guidebook only available in the expo hall queue on Friday or can people get it later on?

PAX Prime 2013/14/15 [x]
    PAX East 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2017 [Awaiting badges]

• Options
    How early do people usually queue up for panels that are at the start of the day (10am) in the satellite theatres? Wondering if an hour is early enough for Volition on Friday
    And is the physical guidebook only available in the expo hall queue on Friday or can people get it later on?
    I assume you mean the program, which is different from guidebook, which is the web/mobile app. Anyhow, you should be able to get a program wherever and whenever swag bags are given out, I believe.

• Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I assume you mean the program, which is different from guidebook, which is the web/mobile app. Anyhow, you should be able to get a program wherever and whenever swag bags are given out, I believe.

Any Idea when you can go get the swag bags and the programs? The first morning,(if so any idea what time,) Or will they perhaps be there the day before? No worries if you don't have that info. Just wanted to check.

Push comes to shove I will line up at the Paramount for them the fist morning instead of outside the convention center.

BadNews65 on
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited August 2014
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    Any Idea when you can go get the Swag bags and the programs? The first morning(if so any idea what time,) Or will the perhaps be there the day before? No worries if you don't have that info. Just wanted to check.

Swag Bags are generally available after 11am, although since it seems like they will be in the Paramount this year not the Expo Queue room, possibly the hours will be different. Programs are likely to be in the queue room, and maybe other places. Lanyards will likely be in multiple places you might start your day, Queue room, walkway on the way into WSCC, Theatre lines, etc. If you ever can't find something ask the Info Booth to know for sure.

I don't think Bags, Lanyards or Programs have ever been given out the day before. Maybe Lanyards if you picked up your badge at Will-Call. Before you line up anywhere I'd double check with an enforcer what the line is for. Wouldn't want to line up at the Paramount only to find out what you wanted isn't' there or isn't available till later.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Well that Hironobu Sakaguchi panel should be in the main theater. Good lord that's going to draw a crowd! That's an example of one you're going to have to be super early for. For panels like that I suggest an hour and half early. Maybe even 2 to be paranoid safe.

• Options
    HikariheartlessHikariheartless Registered User new member
    I am missing all 4 Monday passes. I have sent 2 e-mails with no replies and I e-mailed one of them on Friday. I'm getting worried about the no response since Pax is coming up in about 15 days. What should I do?

• Options
    Does the merch booth open early? I know when I was down in 2011 it was open before the queue room. Was wonder if that was still the case?