As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    LadyBee wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a update on the TWDT?
    whypick1 wrote: »
    @Atlus Parker would know, since he's the one who runs it. Last year's went up July 31.

• Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    How early should somebody turn up to line up in front of the WSCC so as to not be at the end of the line? Also, will they only let us in through certain entrances and if so, which?

I don't mind waiting in line with people. I think I'll probably be too excited to sleep anyways.

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Cennedi wrote: »
    How early should somebody turn up to line up in front of the WSCC so as to not be at the end of the line? Also, will they only let us in through certain entrances and if so, which?

I don't mind waiting in line with people. I think I'll probably be too excited to sleep anyways.

You don't have to line up to the WSCC early, honestly by the time it opens you can walk in and head to the queue room and be within the first hundred to thousand people or so in line. It's not that crazy unless you want to be first in line (in which case you better be there ~8-10 hours prior, I believe the guy first in line ahead of my brother the only day last year slept in the parkade).

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Cennedi wrote: »

I usually like to get there around 7am or so (expo opens at 10am). It is fun hanging out in line and playing games with new friends.
    If you arrive before about 8am you will go up the main escalators and be lined up outside in Freeway Park. Around 8am or so (sometimes earlier) they will open up the Queue room and bring everyone inside where you will sit for the majority of the time.

By arriving this early the only advantage you get is hanging out with fun people in line and getting to one expo line in a fairly reasonable time.
    There are always people who are able to get into the expo hall early so you will never be at the front of the popular lines.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    ParagrineParagrine Registered User new member
    SmallLady wrote: »
    PAX Costume Weapons policy
    AaronC wrote: »
    Hello everyone, AirWolf (aka AaronC)

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

A few friends and I are making costumes to wear to pax from the game Payday 2. We were wondering if we took this gun (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Movie-Prop-hard-Rubber-92F-Police-Auto-Safety-Pistol-Gun-New-paintable-authentic-/191251381494?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item2c87787cf6) and painted it black, would it be allowed? As long as we checked it in before entering?

• Options
    Paragrine wrote: »

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

A few friends and I are making costumes to wear to pax from the game Payday 2. We were wondering if we took this gun (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Movie-Prop-hard-Rubber-92F-Police-Auto-Safety-Pistol-Gun-New-paintable-authentic-/191251381494?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item2c87787cf6) and painted it black, would it be allowed? As long as we checked it in before entering?

In the past, anything that has looked like a real firearm has not been permitted.

Even if they approve your prop gun (which I find doubtful), you'd get a lot of scrutiny/security stops from the security guards and enforcers since it would look a lot like a real gun.

Your best bet is to email PAX at safety@paxsite.com to confirm.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular

In the past, anything that has looked like a real firearm has not been permitted.

Even if they approve your prop gun (which I find doubtful), you'd get a lot of scrutiny/security stops from the security guards and enforcers since it would look a lot like a real gun.

Your best bet is to email PAX at safety@paxsite.com to confirm.

Yeah I agree, I'd be amazed if you were able pull that off. It will look startlingly real once you paint it black. But it doesn't hurt to try, besides PAX safety might have good suggestions for alternatives.

• Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    So, asking to buy badges on the forum is taboo, right? Still frustrated by Showclix breaking for me this year. :(

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You would be correct, badge buying/selling are not allowed on here.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    babelfish wrote: »
    So, asking to buy badges on the forum is taboo, right? Still frustrated by Showclix breaking for me this year. :(

On these forums? No, it's not allowed.

However, you can always check Twitter and Reddit. I believe there's a whole subreddit dedicated to the sale/exchange of PAX Badges (I think it's called PaxPassExchange).

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

I believe the policy on things that look like a real weapon has been loosened and has hence been removed from the main site policy page http://prime.paxsite.com/safety-and-security
    That being said, if it looks real, you may get asked to have it checked a lot by Enforcers, site staff, or Seattle PD who will be around. While PAX does not mind realistic weapons if Seattle PD ask you to put it away, you should probably do that. I'd recommend just leaving it yellow, small effect on the cosplay (call it a gold blinged out gun) and will decrease the chance of your hassle and others possible concerns. Bringing something that may cause fellow attendees to be concerned is kinda a dick move, even if you don't intend it to be. Security enforcers on site will of course have the final say when you bring it to have it tagged.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Question about BYOC.

A group of my friends always get BYOC passes, but the friends I go to PAX with don't. It is my understanding there is zero tolerance in getting into the BYOC area without a BYOC pass.

Is it possible for me to borrow one of my friend's BYOC passes and LAN (using their PC) while they are on the Expo floor and elsewhere then meet them outside BYOC to give the pass back?

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • Options
    gremlinchiefgremlinchief Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    Spud387 wrote: »
    Question about BYOC.

A group of my friends always get BYOC passes, but the friends I go to PAX with don't. It is my understanding there is zero tolerance in getting into the BYOC area without a BYOC pass.

Is it possible for me to borrow one of my friend's BYOC passes and LAN (using their PC) while they are on the Expo floor and elsewhere then meet them outside BYOC to give the pass back?

I have done this before many times without any issues. Just as long as you're not using the same pass to let more than one person in at a time, you should be fine.

gremlinchief on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Question about BYOC.

I can't say from experience, but being that the badges are more of a "person counter" rather than a "did this person SPECIFICALLY pay for their PAX experience!?" I'd guess that you can swap them back and forth if needed.

Edit: Redacted. I've been told the badges become personalized, and my assumption is incorrect.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Question about BYOC.

I can't say from experience, but being that the badges are more of a "person counter" rather than a "did this person SPECIFICALLY pay for their PAX experience!?" I'd guess that you can swap them back and forth if needed.

Ya, I assumed as much, but with there being so much (expensive) personal computer gear in the area I didn't know if they had additional restrictions with the passes.

thx

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Question about BYOC.

Ya, I assumed as much, but with there being so much (expensive) personal computer gear in the area I didn't know if they had additional restrictions with the passes.

thx

Despite what other people in this thread have said, this is actually heavily frowned upon. The badge requirement isn't just there to control the number of people who go into BYOC, it's also to restrict who has access to the area. If you want an official answer, post this question in the BYOC thread but please don't do this.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Question about BYOC.

Once you check into BYOC, your badge gets a sticker with your name and a barcode on it and becomes tied to you.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

This is probably a good way to force the BYOC staff to have to do ID checks on every entry. Something I don't think anyone wants.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up. Reclaimed tickets just went on sale.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    pogoplay wrote: »

And sold out.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I'm so happy, I got the Saturday badger I needed! :relieved:

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    pogoplay wrote: »

And sold out.

One hour before I got off work. one hour.... *facedesks until concussion*

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    GateByteGateByte Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    I was able to grab a couple reclaimed badges for myself and a friend this morning for Fri-Sun. Now frantically trying to sort out hotels and such. On the only real hotel option left through the site for the full weekend, the Red Lion in Bellevue, it has an Event Shuttle listed. What is this? It says the shuttle info would be posted 45 days before the event, but I don't see anything on the site. We're going to be without our own transportation, so I don't want to book a hotel so far away without knowing we have an easy way to get there. It's our first time attending, so any info would be very helpful!

Edit: When I looked this morning a couple hotel bookings for within a couple blocks of the convention centre had appeared on the onPeak page for the dates I need, so I snapped one up quickly. So I won't be needing the requested info anymore.

GateByte on
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    I'm glad it worked out for you! If anyone's still looking at the Red Lion in Bellevue, it is on the other side of the lake from Seattle, and would not be within walking distance unless you were a true champion walker. You could ring the hotel about the shuttle to see if that info can be posted, but definitely better if you have a car and don't mind Seattle parking fees. You would be in the heart of downtown Bellevue if someone was going with you who had 0 interest in Seattle. :smile:

OMG, it's less than a month now! :joy:

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Naw, you'd be I think 4ish blocks from the Bellevue Transit Center, you walk there and grab the 550 Express bus, you'll be at the convention center in about a half hour. I used to live in downtown Bellevue, that's how I got to PAX. Note that the the 550 stops just before midnight - miss that last bus and you'd have to wait until a 2am bus (and better hope to hell you don't miss that one!)

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    GateByte wrote: »
    I was able to grab a couple reclaimed badges for myself and a friend this morning for Fri-Sun. Now frantically trying to sort out hotels and such. On the only real hotel option left through the site for the full weekend, the Red Lion in Bellevue, it has an Event Shuttle listed. What is this? It says the shuttle info would be posted 45 days before the event, but I don't see anything on the site. We're going to be without our own transportation, so I don't want to book a hotel so far away without knowing we have an easy way to get there. It's our first time attending, so any info would be very helpful!

PAX arranges its own shuttles for most of the hotels at East, I would imagine this is something similar. If its a PAX hotel, the amount of attendees that will need shuttling would certainly overwhelm any regular hotel shuttle they have. What the actual schedule will be remains to be seen though.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    Hi All. This will be my first time attending PAX Prime and simply cannot wait. I'm really looking forward to getting my D&D/RPG on but am curious if people can just walk in and find a game to participate in or if there is/will be some kind of sign up sheet? Also, it's been about 20 years since I played last, how do people feel about relative first timers sitting down to play?

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    There are both sign-ups at the con and before-hand (I don't have more information regarding pre-signing up). And they run a variety games for all levels of D&D play experience!

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    is the floor plan and schedule out yet?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    is the floor plan and schedule out yet?
    No.

• Options
    lithxelithxe SeattleRegistered User new member
    I have a question! ;w; I will try to keep the explanation short!

I broke my ankle a couple weeks ago, needed surgery, and cannot put weight on it until after PAX. I applied for a medical pass, but am really concerned with the crowdedness of the expo floor-- I'd really rather not be stuck in a wheelchair rental, but i'm terrified of getting crutches kicked out from under me by accident; not to mention I would die after 10 hours of crutches.

My question is, is it possible for me to bring something like a Knee Scooter? It's a scooter with 4 wheels and a pad for my knee to rest on so I can walk with my other leg and roll along. It is not super maneuverable (doesnt turn very sharply, and roughly 3ft long by 1.5ft wide). I really don't want to be in everyones way with it, but it's what i've been using to get around and what I am currently comfortable with. I'm okay with looking super derpy on it as long as I can enjoy PAX since it will be my very first one. ":c I could not find any information on what is allowed / not allowed in terms of handicap mobility stuff. Any help is much appreciated~

• Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    If wheelchairs are allowed, I would imagine a knee scooter would be okay.. man I googled that thing and they are huge for what they do! And get one with a basket if your going that route! Especially if you can get a dr's prescription I am sure they will be okay with it (but I am not a pax official in any capacity).

PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
  • Options
    lithxe wrote: »
    Knee scooter should be fine, especially with a medical badge. As with all things (mobility assistance devices, cosplay or just big backpacks) just try to stay aware of your area when you stop quickly or turn around. Pro-tip, the outside edge of Expo hall is often less crowded, some of the good stuff is in the middle, but you might keep to the edge when getting from one side to the other.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    ...some of the good stuff is in the middle, but you might keep to the edge when getting from one side to the other.

I read that and my first thought was "Your badge gets you the whole expo hall, but you'll only need the EDGE!"

• Options
    lithxelithxe SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks so much for the responses; I figure if it really gets in the way my first day I will figure something else out for the other days. I've been to conventions before but never PAX so I wasn't sure quite how packed the floor is going to be. I will also try to stick to the edge to navigate around when possible, thanks! c:

@Randoramma I do have a basket for it c: And a cupholder haha... just came with one. I should look pretty swanky on it, though I still need a flag and some racing stripes. :c

lithxe on
  • Options
    sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    As with all things (mobility assistance devices, cosplay or just big backpacks) just try to stay aware of your area when you stop quickly or turn around.

Honestly, on expo one of the things I'd be most concerned about is *other* people not being aware of it as it's below eye level and in a crowd it might not be obvious...It's more of a concern for you than one where you'd be in the way - I can't think that people bumping into your bad ankle would be fun.

Definitely have a plan for Expo - Use guidebook, or a con book for a map - Get in, see what you want, and get out ASAP. Plan on spending most of your time exploring the non-expo parts of PAX - believe me, there'll be plenty for you to do.

Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    @lithxe‌ I'd recommend looking through the photo gallery to get a bit of an idea of how packed PAX can be. It doesn't have a lot of photos and some of them don't seem as packed as I remember, but it's a good reference point.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    I'm assuming badges are being mailed out soon? (sorry if this is a real dumb question)

xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    In the past, they've had 1 day where medpass could get you into the expo hall an hour before general opening. If they're doing that this year, you can try and use that hour for the couple of things you want to see most so if you find the crowded expo hall is too much, you won't have missed the good stuff.
    Thanks so much for the responses; I figure if it really gets in the way my first day I will figure something else out for the other days. I've been to conventions before but never PAX so I wasn't sure quite how packed the floor is going to be. I will also try to stick to the edge to navigate around when possible, thanks! c:

@Randoramma I do have a basket for it c: And a cupholder haha... just came with one. I should look pretty swanky on it, though I still need a flag and some racing stripes. :c

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm assuming badges are being mailed out soon? (sorry if this is a real dumb question)
    Probably in the next few weeks.