As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm assuming badges are being mailed out soon? (sorry if this is a real dumb question)
    Probably in the next few weeks.

This made me laugh given when I think of "few weeks" I think 3-4 weeks xD
    It might be too late then :(

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    I'm assuming badges are being mailed out soon? (sorry if this is a real dumb question)

This made me laugh given when I think of "few weeks" I think 3-4 weeks xD
    It might be too late then :(

According to the FAQ:
    Badges are mailed out approximately two to three weeks before the event. So depending on your location, sometime after that.

Also, I got this response after inquiring whether ShowClix's shipment status will be updated (the one that says Not Shipped). The answer was no, but the rest of the email was also useful:
    Hi

That will not be updated. We send the badges out in waves and that will begin at some point this week. Please remember just because your neighbor may get theirs first doesn’t mean yours is lost. They mail at different times even if you live on the same street.

Thanks!

People start getting nervous 2-3 weeks prior, but I wouldn't start getting nervous until 2 weeks prior. At 12 days (especially if you're also going to PAX Dev), I'd send an email to verify, but not before (but that's just me, since they'll probably be getting tons of emails from all the excited and panicking people).

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular

Zerzhul you should have answered this with "Soon" :)

• Options
    SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I paid for international shipping and got a notice that my bobcat's where shipped today.

SpicyMeats on
    qEGfoNG.png

• Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    SpicyMeats wrote: »
    I paid for international shipping and got a notice that my bobcat's where shipped today.

That means, for us in the U.S....

SOON.

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    Regarding PAX Dev, do any of the distributors (i.e. Sony, MS, Steam, etc... ) have something setup there where I can talk with them about getting my game on their platform. My game is ready to demo to them so I was wondering if there is something there where I can try to show it to someone. Is there anything like a career pavilion also?

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Regarding PAX Dev, do any of the distributors (i.e. Sony, MS, Steam, etc... ) have something setup there where I can talk with them about getting my game on their platform. My game is ready to demo to them so I was wondering if there is something there where I can try to show it to someone. Is there anything like a career pavilion also?

PAX Dev is more for developers to talk to each other, share ideas, network, etc. There are panels and roundtable discussions but there is no expo hall with booths like at PAX or a regular business convention. This thread is about PAX Prime itself though, if you want to know more about Dev, questions should probably go in http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-general-discussion somewhere?

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah we don't really have an official place to discuss PAX Dev. I think that's largely because it's a fairly private affair, and also somewhat tied to PAX Prime. The general section is a solid place though, but I'm not sure what sort of hits you will get to your questions.

• Options
    Sounds like my answer is no, I guess GDC would have more of what I'd need. Just don't want to wait till then :) I can always ask one of the indie devs at the mega booth how they got their games onto a platform. I didn't want to create a new thread for this in the general section and since Dev is during Prime I figured this was the best place.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @PurpleSky‌
    At the last few couple of DEVs there have been a few select booths set up in the hall, but mainly it was employers looking to catch young devs or people selling things to extant dev companies.

But it's not really part of the show. The main thrust is discussing how to make games from both business and technical perspectives.

Also if you've a game ready to demo, why sell it to publishers? This is the indie game golden age! Publish that shit yourself, keep all the rights, keep all the money.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    The Big DnD Event this year is the Adventurers League Epic (Public play has 3 events now, Encounters run each week at your FLGS, Expeditions Longer (4 hour) sessions that premier at conventions and then can be run at FLGS's and the Epics, only ran at major conventions) Sat Night DnD is the Epic Entitled Corruption in Kryptgarden, it will be a massive, multi-table event that will shape the Tyranny of Dragons story and bring renown to those that experience it. First played at GenCon will be at PAX. For more info on the Adventurers League go here.http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play Everything is Level 1 to 4.

They will also have 1 hour sessions of the Expeditions all weekend. Each Expedition has 4 or 5 1 hour adventures so you play multiple times during the weekend, and Some 4 hour events as well. Lots of DnD starting at 11 AM each day and running to 11 PM.

Got my volunteer DM Slots confirmed, hope to see you at my table!

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Is there somewhere near the con that sells video games? I want to buy Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright but we fly out early the day it comes out.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere near the con that sells video games? I want to buy Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright but we fly out early the day it comes out.

I don't know about any actual video game stores, but I know there's a city Target less than half a mile away that should have it in stock, though I'd call that day and make sure.

• Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    There's also a Gamestop in one of the nearby malls that might have it in stock then. Another possibility.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Pacific Place has a Gamestop in the basement. Kitty corner from the Grand Hyatt, behind the Olive 8.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular

I've been trying to formulate my plan for snagging this as well, and I'm wondering if maybe it'll be available for download through the Nintendo eShop. Looks like the European eShop had it, so... maybe? Probably? I hope?

Anyway, if that doesn't pan out, the Gamestop in Pacific Place was my backup plan. I'm also toying with ordering from amazon & having it delivered to the hotel, but I don't know how feasible that really is.

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    That shouldn't be a problem. I had Amazon deliver something to the Sheraton a couple of wears ago (same day delivery to boot; thank you AmazonLocal). Could always call your hotel to ask for specifics about how they handle that.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    soozerella wrote: »

I've been trying to formulate my plan for snagging this as well, and I'm wondering if maybe it'll be available for download through the Nintendo eShop. Looks like the European eShop had it, so... maybe? Probably? I hope?

Anyway, if that doesn't pan out, the Gamestop in Pacific Place was my backup plan. I'm also toying with ordering from amazon & having it delivered to the hotel, but I don't know how feasible that really is.

I thought about shipping to the hotel too but I think I would rather just go grab it and have it in hand knowing there are a couple options around to get it from. ;)

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Don't forget:

IF a Nintendo has a booth at PAX Prime this year, they might actually just have copies of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright for sale.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Don't forget:

IF a Nintendo has a booth at PAX Prime this year, they might actually just have copies of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright for sale.

Videogame publishers don't sell their games at PAX.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Don't forget:

That's not true, at all. Nintendo has consistently done so.

Last year at PAX Prime 2013, they sold copies of Wonderful 101 2 weeks before the official launch.

Also, at PAX East 2013 they also sold copies of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon one day prior to their launch date.

Capcom also has a merchandise booth where they usually sell copies of their games as well.

pelicanflip on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, it's not typical for most vidjagame exhibitors, but it's been typical for Nintendo as of late.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    The schedule should be released today! (based on the past 2 years release dates, so it's me being hopeful for a trend at this point, but next week at the latest.) Something to keep in mind that burned me my first year at PAX in 2012: the first release of the schedule will probably change. Just because you printed it out and highlighted the panels you wanted to go to doesn't mean that will be the same schedule that you see even 2 weeks from now. Always double-check your work right before PAX. The initial release date of the schedule is more so I can have something pseudo-tangible to sate my impatience at this point :-D

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    The schedule is always subject to change. I would make sure to double-check it all the time. Also, the schedule on the website is king, as far as I know. Sometimes the guidebook schedule will lag behind it by a day or so.

• Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Don't forget:

Last year at PAX Prime 2013, they sold copies of Wonderful 101 2 weeks before the official launch.

Also, at PAX East 2013 they also sold copies of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon one day prior to their launch date.

Capcom also has a merchandise booth where they usually sell copies of their games as well.

Could you imagine if they sold Smash Bros a month early, Although very doubtful, but still... *Drool*

pogoplay on
    Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    This has probably been mentioned before but I was looking at old maps from Prime 2013 and I noticed that there is Levels 2,3,4, & 6 for WSCC. Assuming that the levels correspond to actual floor numbers of the complex where is floor 5? I can't remember but I believe there is one but it is off limits to show goers or something like that. Since I've been going to prime I believe it has always been numbered this way and never thought anything of it till now. This just sparked my curiosity so figured I'd ask.

• Options
    Floor 5 is offices for WSCC staff.

• Options
    Thanks, that's what I thought. Now we need PAX to take that over :smiley:

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I thought. Now we need PAX to take that over :smiley:

Theres hardly anything on that level anyway.

While at the top of the escalators (by the subway) look up while facing north, the offices a floor up on the other side of the glass is floor 5. Also if you are in halls 4 A or B (queue and expo), face south and look up you will see windows for the other offices (basically just 1 hallways worth) halfway up the wall. Nothing special. In the past PAX has used a couple of those offices for interview space.

The only attendee accessible space on 5th floor is the little space for the switchback escalators that go up to 6th floor, which is also a ninja way to get up to 6th floor if you don't want to take the 1 long escalator of doom, also often times less crowded.
    As mentioned before, while at the top of the main escalators, while facing north you will see subway on your left, infobooth and the main entrance on your right. Walk past info booth and on your right is another set of escalators, those are the ones that go up to 5th floor and another set from there that goes up to 6th.

What you don't realize is there's a ton of other space in the WSCC that you don't even see. I used to work at an event company and I was constantly at the convention center. I could draw all the service corridors off of memory :P

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    pogoplay wrote: »
    Don't forget:

Could you imagine if they sold Smash Bros a month early, Although very doubtful, but still... *Drool*

They would sell three for us!

• Options
    Mushroomer25Mushroomer25 Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the place, but any tips for covering your ass when buying passes from third party sources? Anything to immediately check for, to verify authenticity? I'm asking my source to send me photos of the passes before I purchase, and give me a copy of the receipt he'd have received from Showclix. Plus, I'm only sending him half the money before he sends me the passes - to split the risk. Is all of this fair, or am I being too paranoid?

Note : If all things tickets are barred from discussion, I understand.

• Options
    Not sure if this is the place, but any tips for covering your ass when buying passes from third party sources? Anything to immediately check for, to verify authenticity? I'm asking my source to send me photos of the passes before I purchase, and give me a copy of the receipt he'd have received from Showclix. Plus, I'm only sending him half the money before he sends me the passes - to split the risk. Is all of this fair, or am I being too paranoid?

The best way to cover one's ass is to have them checked at the con by an Enforcer. Unfortunately if buying online that's not really an option. None of us will know for certain what the details of the security items are before pax proper as they could change from year to year.

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    So, maybe a dumb question, but what's the best way to go about finding some board game stuff for someone going solo most of the day and without a whole lot of experience for anything that doesn't have an iPad version? I haven't really checked it out in years past, but is there just a general waiting area to find new stuff? Always felt like if I just tried to jump in on most games that I'd be burdening people to much with trying to figure out how to play things and wasn't sure if there's a kind of noob friendly area worth checking out.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    For people whom are still uncertain when the Badges will be shipped out? Mine was delivered, via the US Post Office 2 Day priority mail envelope, in the mail this past Thursday.

I had just received my Monday Badge . Badge shipments should start arriving to your respective residence soon.

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but I just want to make sure: How exactly does someone get to the convention center from the airport, apart from renting a car? I see that there are some shuttle services, though those are a little spendy. I could have sworn that someone once mentioned a cheap option, on a train or something... might just be derping because tired.

Still, is something I should probably have planned before I get to the airport. X3

• Options
    arconicarconic Registered User regular
    take the light rail from my understanding. http://www.soundtransit.org/schedules/central-link-light-rail

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Is the light rail right at the airport, or is there a walk or shuttle ride to it?

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Is the light rail right at the airport, or is there a walk or shuttle ride to it?

You can ride the lightrail directly from the airport into downtown. The station is on the other side of the parking deck right outside of the terminal. It only costs about $3. Takes about 40 minutes or so.

• Options

Hmm, if you're not buying them at the event itself, ask him to find a black light.

The reason being: recently, PAX has been printing hidden symbols on the badges that are only visible under black lights. I believe in the past, they've been 8-bit Space Invaders. It has been used as an additional layer of security in order to verify the badge's authenticity.

I can't say for sure if they're doing it again this year, but they've been doing it for the past couple PAX Easts/Primes, so it's a safe bet they'll continue it this year. Maybe another forum member can verify if their 2014 badge has the black light symbols?
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but I just want to make sure: How exactly does someone get to the convention center from the airport, apart from renting a car? I see that there are some shuttle services, though those are a little spendy. I could have sworn that someone once mentioned a cheap option, on a train or something... might just be derping because tired.

Still, is something I should probably have planned before I get to the airport. X3

The light rail is your most efficient/cost-effective way of getting from the airport to the convention center.

The SeaTac airport's light rail station is connected to the fourth floor of the main parking garage at the airport. To get to the main terminal and ticket counters from SeaTac/Airport Station, walk across the covered bridge. It's a very short walk, and I'd highly recommend it.

If you can't figure out where the light rail is: follow the giant trail of PAX people. And trust me, there will be a giant trail of PAX people.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    The "Central Link Light Rail" goes from the airport to the bus tunnel in downtown Seattle, with its last stop at Westlake Center, and runs from 5am to 7am on weekdays and Saturday, 6am to midnight Sunday and Holidays. Westlake Center is a mall on 4th and Pine - to get from there to the convention center, go one block over from Pine to Pike, and three blocks up from 4th to 7th.

The spendy option is Shuttle Express, a shared-ride shuttle service, it's around $60 for round trip.