As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zdeno [Chat]ra

19495969798100»

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    so i played analogue because it got mentioned and now i think i'm a christine love fan

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I heard you need a noob Morgana in here

Haha oh wait Diablo is out todayyyyyyy and only seven days left is hearthstone season to get my rank up

are you buying the expansion
    I pre-ordered the digital ce Friday
    It comes with the hearthstone packs!

lol it fucking would wouldnt it

Yeah they are gonna get mileage out of that

Also heroes of the Storm micro transactions

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    i have never played Diablo before

would i like it

is it like WoW

Not really?

I mean, it's kind of like WoW, in that you are running around killing baddies and getting loot. But it's third person, you have much fewer abilities, and there aren't a bunch of quests like "go kill 8 boars" and shit. You're playing through a story.

What Diablo have you been playing?

Diablo is basically press button get loot and talk to your buddies while doing so.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    i have never played Diablo before

would i like it

is it like WoW

Not really?

I mean, it's kind of like WoW, in that you are running around killing baddies and getting loot. But it's third person, you have much fewer abilities, and there aren't a bunch of quests like "go kill 8 boars" and shit. You're playing through a story.

It's pretty much exactly like "go kill 8 boars" though.

But instead of 8 boars, it's repeat acts 1-4. In comparison to WoW, think of it like running all the raid dungeons from one expansion over and over again.

I guess they've added in small things like crappy PvP and infernal machines... which means you have to run acts 1-4 to get the stuff do to them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    also I obsess over item stats very much too long for people.

"Hang on a second I got a new gun"

*5 minutes pass*

"I just can't be sure if this one is better!!"

oh god so its like Borderlands with weapon stats and only fun with friends?

yeah no ok no then no

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I heard you need a noob Morgana in here

Haha oh wait Diablo is out todayyyyyyy and only seven days left is hearthstone season to get my rank up

This is my problem

"Come LoL with us!"

Uhh..... but.... but.... but.... loot!

Dish bish even leaves the LoL client up to farm invites.

Then 20 minutes after your round starts he's like "olol I'm playing another game sorry you're not good enough fyi hth"

No matter how many times I punch Teemo

he never drops a magic sword.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Action RPGs are secretly made by the mouse companies to drive up computer mice sales.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I kinda found Diablo boring?

idk the clicking was a lot of clicking.

Like, a lot of it.

I never finished Diablo 2 because I got mad bored.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I found a solution to a problem!

As with most science, the problem turned out to be a literal solution but anyway this problem took an embarrassing amount of time to solve.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Click click click click

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    yeah ok so probably just stick to LoL then so i can chat inane things to the other team

This is one of my favorite parts of Titanfall actually.

"So, Magicweedwizard, are you a wizard who works with magical weeds or are you a weedwizard who is magical?"

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I want to play a game of LoL before I go to bed for the day but I gotta get laundry

argle bargle

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    yeah ok so probably just stick to LoL then so i can chat inane things to the other team

I like both games

I think, in terms of staying power and depth, LoL is probably better

LoL is the game you go back to

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Dunadan019‌ im just sayin if ur not using it...

I will buy you a cocktail at PAX? a...fancy one?

@Hakkekage‌ Sure, let me make sure I actually still have it and I can bring it with me to pax or you can come out the 29th to that rum tasting I'm going to with deebs.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    fak u giant powerpoint deck

Or maybe he is a magic weed who became a wizard.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Dunadan019‌ im just sayin if ur not using it...

I will buy you a cocktail at PAX? a...fancy one?

@Hakkekage‌ Sure, let me make sure I actually still have it and I can bring it with me to pax or you can come out the 29th to that rum tasting I'm going to with deebs.

yaaaay

I can't do the 29th unfortunately but PAX sounds perfect :D!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Well, when I say the art was bad I mainly mean that the character models looked hideous. Really just some of the worst stuff to come out of an AAA game in a while.

The colors were good and the non-character models were generally good, but god damn, the character models were awful. The big-hand thing kind of worked in Fable where it was part of a deliberate uniform cartoon style, but I thought it was an exceptionally bad decision to juxtapose cartoonish hands and faces with normal bodies and normal, gritty, semi-realistic everything else.

The idea of the universe is cool but as you said, EM, it's too hollow. They had a few kind of interesting ideas in the abstract but none of the implementation was good or deep.

you are talking about dishonored, right? i couldn't disagree with this sentiment more. the universe was novel and the art style was incredibly expressive and interesting. the color pallet was great - reminiscent of a watercolor. the creepy talking heart conceit was cool as hell. the gameplay mechanics were a good mix of stealth + action that clicked for me in a way that stealth games rarely do. the characters were fairly interesting and way better than VG standards. the story structure was rather interesting and at times had some emotional gravity.

man if i had to pick a goty from last year it would probably be between dishonored and bioshock infinite. both were really great examples of the art form moving forward.

imo fyi hth etc

i would say they're more examples of the industry competently standing still.

eh

i mean look - the key aspects in which video games fall far short of other traditional narrative arts are in:

character development
    narrative competency
    emotional depth
    distinct visual style

both BI and dishonored moved the form forward in these four aspects IMO

like, you might criticise the industry for bloated budgets and the studio system and a lack of auteur vision in AAA properties or stagnant gameplay or democratizing difficulty levels or something and that is all fair enough, but what I'm centrally interested in right now - narrative development - made some real strides in these games.

The narrative aspect of Dishonoured was as weak as any other game - shallow characters, bland writing, predictable story with not much interesting going on, anticlimactic ending, typical forced and un-nuanced binary morality system.

It was hardly making strides in that respect.

What made Dishonored impressive was striking visual style, intriguing world (as underused as it was) and excellent level design and stealth/action.

I'd point out Walking Dead as something making narrative progress in games, or Mass Effect 3, poor ending aside.

I was on such a tear with Twitch last night I carried my team so hard.

I was raging though I've never had such a useless team all together like that before.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    my problem with games now days really is that i have so little attention span for them

all the ps3 games i own are half played. I haven't finished Assassin Creed 3, borderlands 2, anything because everytime i start it, i have to spend 5 minutes figuring out the controls again, then figure out what I'm supposed to do, then realize that oh, my supposed to spend 10 minutes traveling to some quest and i get bored and turn it off

games like league of legends or just madden offer a specific time frame for the game. I enter it and know that ok, this will take 20 to 30 minutes and be over.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k

Yeah, too bad they are now all charged with felonies now :(

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    games like league of legends or just madden offer a specific time frame for the game. I enter it and know that ok, this will take 20 to 30 minutes and be over.

well I mean for you it's a reliable 20 min surrender hue hue

I believe you mean terrifying.

Also they're doing a terrible job at security over there.

Holy fuck Nvidia welcome to the .01%

titan_z0iekm.jpg

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It is just trolling me

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    P10 wrote: »
    so i played analogue because it got mentioned and now i think i'm a christine love fan
    She is a queer feminist writer doing game stories she is catnip to me.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Does Mass Effect 3 offer any strides forward from a narrative perspective? Bioware seems to refine their existing story and style rather than make any progress for the medium.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Irond Will will create the new thread
    @Quid is backup

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    @Quid go ahead and do it; I got nothing.

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.