As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb], Greasy Ham

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    This conversation reminds me I feel polarized about comparing 10$ games to full retail releases

Of course sometimes they hold up, some of my favorite games ever are XBLA games

But is it fair to hold something to the same standards as this game with hundreds of millions of dollars behind it?

I can never decide

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    This conversation reminds me I feel polarized about comparing 10$ games to full retail releases

But is it fair to hold something to the same standards as this game with hundreds of millions of dollars behind it?

I can never decide

i think you can forgive a smaller scope but the level of quality should be comparable

i think goat simulator has enough content to justify the asking price, i can just also see why plenty of people don't think it's worth what they're asking

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular

I can never decide

My perspective is; hold everything to the highest possible standards when assessing it. Once you have a sense of raw quality, then you factor in external variables, like price, to make a decision about the game's overall "value" to you, personally. The price has no relationship to the quality of the game or experience, but it obviously does relate to its value proposition as a product.

signature.png

• Options
    So SOMA makes me wonder if other people feel how I do about horror films/games/etc

I always find the mechanics/backstory of horror stuff super interesting

I wanna know how the curse works, why the ghost goes after certain types of people, I wanna know how this place became abandoned, stuff like that

But I rarely actually enjoy the part where people stumble onto the setting and get murdered

For this reason I absolutely love stuff like scp foundation, and even things like Lovecraft because they typically cut off after the setup really, but don't like horror movies or most games

I wonder if this is a thing or if I'm super weird

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I really like the water. I'd like to think that I would love to sail and dive and all sorts of things.

But I have a crippling fear of drowning that completely prevents me from being able to learn to swim, so I don't think I'll be doing those things anytime soon.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I really like the water. I'd like to think that I would love to sail and dive and all sorts of things.

But I have a crippling fear of drowning that completely prevents me from being able to learn to swim, so I don't think I'll be doing those things anytime soon.

This is in no way a dig at you, but like

Do you mean swim like different strokes, or just treading water

Cause you just move your limbs around

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

This is in no way a dig at you, but like

Do you mean swim like different strokes, or just treading water

Cause you just move your limbs around

and now that you're not a dumb baby you're big enough to avoid drowning in most swimming pools by just standing up straight

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Star Fox is amazing and depending how it turns out, may convince me to get whatever console it appears on

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    So SOMA makes me wonder if other people feel how I do about horror films/games/etc

I wanna know how the curse works, why the ghost goes after certain types of people, I wanna know how this place became abandoned, stuff like that

But I rarely actually enjoy the part where people stumble onto the setting and get murdered

For this reason I absolutely love stuff like scp foundation, and even things like Lovecraft because they typically cut off after the setup really, but don't like horror movies or most games

This basically describes my attitude. I love learning about the mechanics of spooky things. SCP is the perfect drug for me, people finding out how these creatures' powers work, if there's a limit to how much blood comes out of the walls, if you can just burn down the haunted forest, stuff like that.
    I HATE the torture and mindless suffering that goes on in horror movies. Even stuff like Cabin in the Woods was completely off-putting to me.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I can tread water but it's a struggle. I mostly hang out in the shallow end and play with my daughter.

• Options
    I can tread water but it's a struggle. I mostly hang out in the shallow end and play with my daughter.

You're a good dad, ceno

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I was super interested in SOMA until gameplay trailers. SCP like space base with weird technology? Yes please. Walking around an abandoned lab trying to find out what happened? Not again.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZx8nSbNdY

Giant Bomb Sports Club has reconvened

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    BASEBALL BASEBALL BASEBALL MUSIC YEAH

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I can't sink. Like, someone has to forcefully shove me down to get me underwater, and then I just pop back up. Being able to float for hours on end is hella relaxing though, to bad chlorine makes my skin break out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I could always go for more spooky deep water segments of games

like I found SM64 water levels to have a scary-ass atmosphere but I liked it

every time I swam around off the coast of skyrim I was wishing I would find some trench and a giant sea monster would try and eat me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I almost want to buy The Show on PS4 based solely on how good it looks because hot damn

But I did this with NBA 2K14 and it was a mistake so I won't

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    And suddenly I understand why they haven't shown off the PS4 version of The Show much

cause nooooooooooobody would buy the ps3 one then because yeesh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    And suddenly I understand why they haven't shown off the PS4 version of The Show much

cause nooooooooooobody would buy the ps3 one then because yeesh

Yeah. MLB 14 is the reason I'm getting a PS4.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

This basically describes my attitude. I love learning about the mechanics of spooky things. SCP is the perfect drug for me, people finding out how these creatures' powers work, if there's a limit to how much blood comes out of the walls, if you can just burn down the haunted forest, stuff like that.

see that kind of thing can be kind of fun, but I dunno if I'd necessarily call it "horror"

horror is all about NOT knowing how stuff works. Either because something surprises you (guy jumping out of the bushes!) or because something happens that contradicts your understanding of how the world works (walls bleeding for example).

like the cliche of a lovecraft story is people investigating things that turn out to be impossible for the human brain to comprehend and they go crazy

so if you dig too deep into backstory and explaining things and that kind of thing, you run the risk of killing the magic. It's the same reason monster movies try and hide what the monster looks like, because once you see it you can start to understand it and learn to not fear it.

blood and gore in and of itself really isn't "horror" either to my mind. I feel like there's a difference between whether something is disturbing and whether it's horrific. Disturbing imagery can be a component of horror but they're not the same thing I don't think.

i feel like in general the twilight zone is some of the best horror i've seen. it very rarely feels the need to explain itself, and is just content to let bad things happen for no reason. One of my favorite TZ episodes is about three astronauts that temporarily vanish from the radar during a mission, and shortly after they return, one of them vanishes and nobody but the other two astronauts remember him ever existing. All evidence points to the fact that there was only two astronauts on the mission. And then a little later, the second astronaut disappears. The remaining astronaut has a nervous breakdown and gets put in the hospital. A nurse brings him a cup of water, and the camera tracks her as she leaves the room, and comes back with a vase of flowers, which she puts on an end table that's in the space that the astronaut's bed was in a second ago. There's no indication of why it's happening, which creates panic because it means there's nothing to do about it. Some cosmic force more powerful than humanity is erasing these guys from existence and they can do nothing but wait for it to happen. That's scary! It's also both not gory and doesn't explain itself in the slightest.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

see that kind of thing can be kind of fun, but I dunno if I'd necessarily call it "horror"

horror is all about NOT knowing how stuff works. Either because something surprises you (guy jumping out of the bushes!) or because something happens that contradicts your understanding of how the world works (walls bleeding for example).

like the cliche of a lovecraft story is people investigating things that turn out to be impossible for the human brain to comprehend and they go crazy

so if you dig too deep into backstory and explaining things and that kind of thing, you run the risk of killing the magic. It's the same reason monster movies try and hide what the monster looks like, because once you see it you can start to understand it and learn to not fear it.

blood and gore in and of itself really isn't "horror" either to my mind. I feel like there's a difference between whether something is disturbing and whether it's horrific. Disturbing imagery can be a component of horror but they're not the same thing I don't think.

i feel like in general the twilight zone is some of the best horror i've seen. it very rarely feels the need to explain itself, and is just content to let bad things happen for no reason. One of my favorite TZ episodes is about three astronauts that temporarily vanish from the radar during a mission, and shortly after they return, one of them vanishes and nobody but the other two astronauts remember him ever existing. All evidence points to the fact that there was only two astronauts on the mission. And then a little later, the second astronaut disappears. The remaining astronaut has a nervous breakdown and gets put in the hospital. A nurse brings him a cup of water, and the camera tracks her as she leaves the room, and comes back with a vase of flowers, which she puts on an end table that's in the space that the astronaut's bed was in a second ago. There's no indication of why it's happening, which creates panic because it means there's nothing to do about it. Some cosmic force more powerful than humanity is erasing these guys from existence and they can do nothing but wait for it to happen. That's scary! It's also both not gory and doesn't explain itself in the slightest.

Yeah see my brain hates that

I want an explanation

Now I'm fine with stuff like SCPs where there's no real explanation but there is enough there to sort of infer or get an idea

But "oh no a crazy monster killed us all" with no motivation or reason is pretty super boring for me

That's why, even though its ostensibly a comedy/sendup of horror I LOVE cabin in the woods because there is a reason and mechanic behind everything that's happening

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Space and the deep sea are both things I'm not afraid of because they're places you need special equipment to go to and I know nobody's going to give me the equipment so I don't have to worry about it. Fucking NASA won't even give me a space suit just to walk around in even though I've wirtten several e-mails asking nicely.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    If I had to guess which sport it is Jeff actually likes, I probably wouldn't go with baseball.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Like I love some of the ideas in Hellraiser but the cenobites are super inconsistently written and their motivations are weird and their world makes no sense and dangit puzzlebox give me your secrets

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Deep sea gameplay with an air limit always terrifies me. Give me enough air to no worry about and let me bum around looking at fish.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Man, I never had a problem with water levels in Mario games, nor even in the recent Raymans.

But fuck that ocean level in Gex: Enter the Gecko. Think it was based on the Titanic, and you had to swim all the way down to it and it was dark and had murderous sea creatures and nope nope nope fuck this.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Like I love some of the ideas in Hellraiser but the cenobites are super inconsistently written and their motivations are weird and their world makes no sense and dangit puzzlebox give me your secrets
    No

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Deep sea gameplay with an air limit always terrifies me. Give me enough air to no worry about and let me bum around looking at fish.

Fuck that earthworm jim level.

• Options
    No

I will solve you, speed racer

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Oh my

This is very good news

A Star Wars game with Uncharted level storytelling sounds incredible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Wait no.

Just fuck Doug TeNepal.

• Options
    Anyone else remember the Earthworm Jim cartoon?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

EARTHWOOORM JIM

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    in spider-man 2 I climbed to the top of the empire state building and looked down and I legit got freaked out by being so high up

also when I was watching the peter jackson version of king kong I was more freaked out by when they were all running around on top of the empire state building than I was by that scene where they were getting attacked by parasites or whatever, like "GET DOWN FROM THERE JESUS CHRIST DO YOU REALIZE HOW HIGH UP YOU ARE, FUCK"

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

EARTHWOOORM JIM

There was an episode with a Dune reference.

• Options
    The fuckin worm things in King Kong still freak me out

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.