As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I had died again. For the eighth time I had been murdered by a greedy neighbour. I sighed. It was time to switch servers and try it all again. Usually when you spawn on a Rust server, there are a few quiet minutes to get used to your surroundings and look around. Not on my ninth reincarnation. The very instant I popped into the world I heard a voice behind me, yelling.

“Who are you!”

It was more of a statement of rage than a question. Shocked, I turned and saw him. Silhouetted against the sky, a man stood atop a wrecked building, stretching a bow and pointing an arrow at me. His name was Blazing Bazing. He was completely naked.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/28/rust-diary/

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Ok you cover that end, lud

Chu is probably good enough at haxxoring from school that we'll get him set up with like 9 monitors and a case of redbull and just have him montage us a super virus worm

is this swordfish

i only hack while being blown by a swedish whore

Also House of Cards and really pretty much every hacking thing ever portrayed in movies

If movies have taught me one thing it's that you have to have at LEAST six monitors to make haxxoring

Abdhy I think you're the closest, find chu a swedish whore

• Options
    “Uh, hello,” I said to the naked man pointing his bow at me. “I’m just a guy.”

He lowered his bow. He dropped down to the grass, approached me and read my screen name out.

“Brendy.”

“Pleased to meet you, Mr… Blazing.”

Then, with a great amount of authority and a slight Northern English accent, Blazing Bazing straightened up and said: “Okay. You are going to help me kill some people.”

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    also the club the video was recorded in doesn't use a mic so i was very "WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HANDS" at points
    if it were me i would be like

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY HANDS WITHOUT A MIC and then put your hand on your crotch and make jerk off motions for an uncomfortably long time

feel free to use this in your show

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    tav your accent

if you were a pira bombmaker i would run away from my family to be with you until the sas busted in and killed us both

my american sensibilities can't resist

haha, I'm still not 100% over hearing my own voice no matter how much I've heard it

• Options
    Ok you cover that end, lud

Chu is probably good enough at haxxoring from school that we'll get him set up with like 9 monitors and a case of redbull and just have him montage us a super virus worm

is this swordfish

i only hack while being blown by a swedish whore

Also House of Cards and really pretty much every hacking thing ever portrayed in movies

If movies have taught me one thing it's that you have to have at LEAST six monitors to make haxxoring

Abdhy I think you're the closest, find chu a swedish whore

she's on her way

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    How could my friends be less funny than yours?

I don't even have any friends!

• Options
    i would start off with improbably long strokes and be all laaaadies

then look down, become glum, and do improbably short strokes

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    'maybe my friends are funnier than your friends' is not a graceful thing to say, or helpful

i thought var was joking when he said it? actually meaning it is pretty obnoxious

I'm being entirely serious. It is strange to me to assume that funny things your friends say are taken from elsewhere because so much of my funny communication with friends is entirely natural. People come up with shit off the top of their head or present stories in funny ways and often say "oh that was a X line" or "oh that reminded me of Y" without ruining the conversation.

The situation you guys are presenting is entirely alien to me.

we're talking about "stealing jokes" right?

if somebody tells a structured joke that sounds rehearsed, the default assumption is that they're taking it from somewhere else. if it's off the cuff, the assumption is that they came up with it.
    how would you define this?

Because if someone in my group of friends, for example, came up with calling KFC "sadness buckets" and riffed 3-4 lines about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came up with it themself. If they had just taken the Patton Oswalt bit and made it seem like they were riffing 3-4 lines about what we were eating in order to make themselves seem funnier, that is what I would have a problem with. It can be nigh on impossible to tell the difference because a lot of comedy is making it seem like you are being loose about what you're saying, rather than reading from a script

for sure, i'm just talking about the assumptions

if it sounds like they're repeating something, like it has a fixed conventional structure they're following, if it sounds very deliberate, that's a capital-J Joke. I assume they read it somewhere or something.

if it's natural, i would assume they're coming up with it themselves

as I said, if I know they aren't coming up with it, but they present it as though they are, it's kind of icky

i don't think it's immoral, as long as they're not monetizing it, but it's kind of scummy? like dishonestly posturing as being funnier than you are?
    it's a fine line though.

yeah, this is what I'm trying to get across. Obviously it's something I take a bit more seriously than other people, but i'd like to think this is the way most people feel? I dunno, I'm not exactly impartial

You personal identification with comedy makes your perspective all out of whack.

• Options
    you can't use that one tav that's mine

unless you're just talking to people you know because who gives a fuck am i right

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    you can't use that one tav that's mine

unless you're just talking to people you know because who gives a fuck am i right

things are meaningless if you're not making money

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    'maybe my friends are funnier than your friends' is not a graceful thing to say, or helpful

i thought var was joking when he said it? actually meaning it is pretty obnoxious

I'm being entirely serious. It is strange to me to assume that funny things your friends say are taken from elsewhere because so much of my funny communication with friends is entirely natural. People come up with shit off the top of their head or present stories in funny ways and often say "oh that was a X line" or "oh that reminded me of Y" without ruining the conversation.

if somebody tells a structured joke that sounds rehearsed, the default assumption is that they're taking it from somewhere else. if it's off the cuff, the assumption is that they came up with it.

Because if someone in my group of friends, for example, came up with calling KFC "sadness buckets" and riffed 3-4 lines about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came up with it themself. If they had just taken the Patton Oswalt bit and made it seem like they were riffing 3-4 lines about what we were eating in order to make themselves seem funnier, that is what I would have a problem with. It can be nigh on impossible to tell the difference because a lot of comedy is making it seem like you are being loose about what you're saying, rather than reading from a script

if it sounds like they're repeating something, like it has a fixed conventional structure they're following, if it sounds very deliberate, that's a capital-J Joke. I assume they read it somewhere or something.

as I said, if I know they aren't coming up with it, but they present it as though they are, it's kind of icky

i don't think it's immoral, as long as they're not monetizing it, but it's kind of scummy? like dishonestly posturing as being funnier than you are?
    it's a fine line though.

yeah, this is what I'm trying to get across. Obviously it's something I take a bit more seriously than other people, but i'd like to think this is the way most people feel? I dunno, I'm not exactly impartial

You personal identification with comedy makes your perspective all out of whack.

Yeah, that conversation is over. Like two pages ago. Is there really a need to dig it back up?

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Tav I didn't realise you had moved.

How are you adjusting to desert life?

I hear they make under garments that prevent sandy vagina. hth

I love this post. You're the best. <3

But it' sun attributed use of someone else's bit :(

• Options
    tumblr_mkmjzdpGUd1qzpacbo2_r1_1280.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tav i liked it. i'm not sure how much depth i missed if any with the dublin stuff, never having been there.

however i can neither brook nor allow got references

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

it's a fine line though.

Yeah, that conversation is over. Like two pages ago. Is there really a need to dig it back up?

It's a problematic issue.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    tav wasn't the only person supporting that position

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    well except for the exact opposite of something that needs the use of the word "problematic!"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tav i liked it. i'm not sure how much depth i missed if any with the dublin stuff, never having been there.

however i can neither brook nor allow got references

I don't think the Dublin stuff is too much in-depth. Like, the college I mention is known for being kinda far away from things and we have shitty transport. I don't think there's too much else to it in that set? if I was performing outside Dublin, it'd be a lot vaguer

And I don't even watch got, i just find the image hilarious and it tends to get a laugh :p

edit: oh, maybe the bus bit. I just mentioned places that are known for being shitty. Knackers are what we'd call chavs.

Tav on
  • Options
    also thanks, i've never had a jew say they enjoy my comedy

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    well except for the exact opposite of something that needs the use of the word "problematic!"

nah, the word is pretty much meaningless now

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah, chat has kind of driven it into the ground.

• Options

I do realize that my post implies that I think anything needs the use of the word problematic

which is something I find unlikely although I am unwilling to categorically deny it

but yes the word is spent now find another one

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

Yeah, chat has kind of driven it into the ground.

NO IT WAS TUMBLR AND SJWS AND PEOPLE BEING HYPERBOLIC ON THE INTERNET THAT DID IT

SHEEEESH

• Options
    chu I master plannered you a swedish whore you owe me now

• Options
    speaking of tumblur

tumblr_muwkfiuxpa1sohz2fo1_500.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    i am trying my hand at fiction writing and I am having far too much fun with mook abuse. Like, 'loving detail of just how fucked the mook is' fun. Is that a bad thing?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options

don't count your chickens before they hatch

or sell your hooker before she doesn't choke in transit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »
    i am trying my hand at fiction writing and I am having far too much fun with mook abuse. Like, 'loving detail of just how fucked the mook is' fun. Is that a bad thing?

post example

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ugh accidentally bought sweet tea instead of iced tea

Making myself drink it because throwing it out would be super wasteful

but it is not very good at allllllll

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

post example

the mook was like, so fucked you guys

so

fucked

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

don't count your chickens before they hatch

or sell your hooker before she doesn't choke in transit

Well you remembered to put holes in the box right?

• Options

it's a fine line though.

I show 1000 posts per page to cutdown on wear and tear on my touchscreen.

• Options
    also chu if you had any criticisms or anything i would be happy to hear them

ya know other than me being a dumpy guy with a kind of awkward stage presence

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

post example

I'm going to actually save that for Writer's Block, but suffice to say that at one point I went 'I'm gonna turn this guy into ALL the monsters' all Internet-memey and then stopped and thought, 'wait, what would that actually look like?' and before I knew it I had half a scene out of it and I'm strongly considering giving the mook a subplot.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    tumblr is the devil because they always have gifs i want to post but you can't directly link to them because clicking on them does weird tumblr stuff etc

stupid tumblrs

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I was gonna say something about how tumblr is axshally pretty cool

tumblr_n0jhg4QRnI1sndzdgo1_1280.jpg

but something in its cruel algorithms decided to mock me for past decisions re: love

but on the plus side, have a HDR image

tumblr_mcuaiy4f4p1rk5ello1_1280.jpg

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.