Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So another crossover arc? Sounds fine I guess.
    I am behind on reading the Megaman comic. I believe I stopped reading after the first crossover comic.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Lately, I've been on a MMX binge on my Wii U. Man are these games fun. I just have a question...what's the best boss order in MMX3 where you can kill Bit, Byte and Vile?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So, I recommend Mega Man fans head to The Mega Man Network at about noon EST today. Have big news off of NYCC; I'd say more now if I could, but I can't, and I likely won't be here when the story goes live. ;)

In the meantime, I leave you with the other big announcement that's supposed to get more detail there later...

The pessimist in me is betting that it's anything but a brand new megaman game.
    If it's a game it's going to be something like "Megamanville" for facebook or some kind of free to play app.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    So, I recommend Mega Man fans head to The Mega Man Network at about noon EST today. Have big news off of NYCC; I'd say more now if I could, but I can't, and I likely won't be here when the story goes live. ;)

In the meantime, I leave you with the other big announcement that's supposed to get more detail there later...

The pessimist in me is betting that it's anything but a brand new megaman game.
    If it's a game it's going to be something like "Megamanville" for facebook or some kind of free to play app.

Happy 25th 26th 27th Anniversary Megaman!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah

yeah I'd probably kickstart that figure

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I was all set to say "bleh, more merch", but that figure looks godsdamned amazing.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Weird that website doesn't load at all for me.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ohh...man after seeing that figure I gotta keep going with my Mega Man X purchases. Something that's always bothered me...in the end in Mega Man x4, which Buster Upgrade is better? White arm cannon or black?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The one that leaves behind the big plasma ball is better hands down. I forget if it's black or white, but it's the one you get in Storm Owl's stage.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Weird that website doesn't load at all for me.

I've heard a couple of odd instances of that, but it works for me and others. I'm really not sure what might cause that.

In any case, just head to TMMN (link's in my sig), and it's on the left side of the front page. Depending on when you get to it, it's probably going to be the second or third one down.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh hey look a new Mega... oh wait never mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cqpAh38n-V8

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, I finally got round to playing the beta after ignoring every single e-mail they sent me for ages.

1) WOW this is X as fuck (I like X so this is a good thing for me)

2) The translation job is terrible and clearly done by someone who isn't anywhere near to fluent in at least one of the languages involved (like ボス戦のポイント→"point of boss battle")

It's alright, but I can't say it's anything special. Really not all that impressed. (I partially blame Shovel Knight for tainting my expectations by being excessively good)

Ah well, it's a beta, hopefully the final version will be better.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, I finally got round to playing the beta after ignoring every single e-mail they sent me for ages.

1) WOW this is X as fuck (I like X so this is a good thing for me)

2) The translation job is terrible and clearly done by someone who isn't anywhere near to fluent in at least one of the languages involved (like ボス戦のポイント→"point of boss battle")

It's alright, but I can't say it's anything special. Really not all that impressed. (I partially blame Shovel Knight for tainting my expectations by being excessively good)

...For real?

RockinX on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    8-4 are translating this and they're usually really good. The game is still in beta after all so there's plenty of time to polish all aspects of it.

By the way, how would you translate that? My Japanese isn't all that great, but it doesn't seem wrong to me. "Point of boss battle" sounds really stilted, but that's basically what that means, right? A place where a battle with a boss takes place?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Boss Room?

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Mighty Zero. I like that he's trying to take back the character that he created. I wonder if this whole game is leading up to that...

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It is entirely possible that he's combining the Zero and Protoman archetypes into 1 character. And I'd be pretty ok with that.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I really wish they'd focus on the game itself for now instead of already announcing half a dozen additional projects.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I really wish they'd focus on the game itself for now instead of already announcing half a dozen additional projects.

There is nothing to indicate they are not doing both. They released a lot of info about where they are on the game (They just added a third level to the beta), and this is just information about future stuff they'd like to add as well.

Being able to both work on your current project and look to the future is just good management.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ok...Mega man x4 beaten. It was...shorter than I remember. I don't know the SNES games seem longer. Anyway, I'm playing for the first time *gasp* Mega Man x5. I've got a couple of questions:
    1. Is there a penalty at all for using the Fourth Armor?
    2. What's the best order to tackle the stages? Do revisiting stages consume hours?
    3. So armor upgrades are different? It's all or nothing? Can I get both?

Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Ok...Mega man x4 beaten. It was...shorter than I remember. I don't know the SNES games seem longer. Anyway, I'm playing for the first time *gasp* Mega Man x5. I've got a couple of questions:
    1. Is there a penalty at all for using the Fourth Armor?
    2. What's the best order to tackle the stages? Do revisiting stages consume hours?
    3. So armor upgrades are different? It's all or nothing? Can I get both?

Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

I have just minutes to be online, so this is off the top of my head rather than researched, and I it was ages ago the last time I played X5.

1) I don't believe so. It may or may not be weaker than what you can eventually compile from the capsules, or it might be that you can't pick up capsules while it's equipped or something. But my strongest inclination is "go nuts".
    2) I believe that as much as entering a stage and choosing "Retreat" will consume an hour, so any time you enter, you're committing the time. The best option is the ones with the parts you need right now (either the cannon or the shuttle).
    3) I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but if there's a choice of two different armor parts, it's a final decision and you can't get the other one.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Yeah basically I'm seeing Falcon or Gaea armor. Can't have both then?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can have both. You pick what armor set you want before each stage, or you can even go regular X if you want.

I can't remember if each armor part does nothing individually, meaning you don't get the armor until you get all 4 pieces, or if they do and you can select the unfinished set as normal.

Either way there's no all or nothing choice at all in the game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    RockinX wrote: »

...For real?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=326566355
    8-4 are translating this and they're usually really good. (...) My Japanese isn't all that great

How can you tell?

By the way, how would you translate that? My Japanese isn't all that great, but it doesn't seem wrong to me. "Point of boss battle" sounds really stilted, but that's basically what that means, right? A place where a battle with a boss takes place?
    Enlong wrote: »
    Boss Room?

"Point" (ポイント) in Japanese is synonymous with 要点- Points to note.

But yeah, the whole thing seems like it was translated by someone who's clearly inept and is relying heavily on literally pulling stuff from a dictionary. "Basic game flow" is another bit that stands out (it's clearly translated from ゲームの基本的な流れ)

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

...For real?

8-4 are translating this and they're usually really good. (...) My Japanese isn't all that great

How can you tell?

Enlong wrote: »
    Boss Room?

"Point" (ポイント) in Japanese is synonymous with 要点- Points to note.

But yeah, the whole thing seems like it was translated by someone who's clearly inept and is relying heavily on literally pulling stuff from a dictionary. "Basic game flow" is another bit that stands out (it's clearly translated from ゲームの基本的な流れ)

It's to be expected from a company that hires people because they're boning them.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Wow, now they want you to prepay for DLC before the game is even out. They're really going all out to find ways to make money without actually having a game on the shelf.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

How can you tell?

Well, you can go by track record. 8-4's localisations have been very well received. Nier, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE are some of the highest profile ones, and they're really, really good.

I mean, "Nanomachines, son" alone would get them 2013's translator of the year award.

My bet is that they haven't been involved with the demo builds, which just have slapdash english tossed in. Actually paying for this kinda thing tends to wait until text is final.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

How can you tell?

Well, you can go by track record. 8-4's localisations have been very well received. Nier, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE are some of the highest profile ones, and they're really, really good.

I mean, "Nanomachines, son" alone would get them 2013's translator of the year award.

My bet is that they haven't been involved with the demo builds, which just have slapdash english tossed in. Actually paying for this kinda thing tends to wait until text is final.

So basically you're saying that you have no clue but because people enjoy their localisations they're great translators.

Sure, whatever you say.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

How can you tell?

So basically you're saying that you have no clue but because people enjoy their localisations they're great translators.

Sure, whatever you say.

Well..yes. People enjoy their localisations because they're excellent.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, Working Designs made great localisations too but they were shitty translators who rewrote everything into pop culture references and dirty jokes to cover for their inability to actually translate (and even that sometimes shone through, with gems like 魔族 becoming "the vile tribe" in Lunar).

If you'd pay attention you'd notice that I'm talking about translations here. You don't need to actually understand a language to bullshit the script into something else entirely.

And either way at this point in time the English in MN9 looks like garbage from both a translation and a localisation point of view.

Now that I think about it though I doubt that this has actually been handed to the translation company yet, this is the sort of stunted English you get when you ask a Japanese person who barely passed English in high school to translate something.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, Working Designs made great localisations too but they were shitty translators who rewrote everything into pop culture references and dirty jokes to cover for their inability to actually translate (and even that sometimes shone through, with gems like 魔族 becoming "the vile tribe" in Lunar).

If you'd pay attention you'd notice that I'm talking about translations here. You don't need to actually understand a language to bullshit the script into something else entirely.

And either way at this point in time the English in MN9 looks like garbage from both a translation and a localisation point of view.

Now that I think about it though I doubt that this has actually been handed to the translation company yet, this is the sort of stunted English you get when you ask a Japanese person who barely passed English in high school to translate something.

They're doing a pretty damn good job as localizers though, and yes, sometimes that means taking liberties and reworking the source text into something more appropriate for the new, foreign audiences. Ted Woolsey's translations of Square games in the 90s are arguably better than the boring, dry original texts.

In the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Awakening, Gregor is just some generic old mercenary guy. In the English version, he's basically a completely different (and much better) character.

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

They're doing a pretty damn good job as localizers though, and yes, sometimes that means taking liberties and reworking the source text into something more appropriate for the new, foreign audiences. Ted Woolsey's translations of Square games in the 90s are arguably better than the boring, dry original texts.

In the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Awakening, Gregor is just some generic old mercenary guy. In the English version, he's basically a completely different (and much better) character.

Weiss is right. Sure, it's nice to have cool localization (DIE, WILY!), but in cases like MN9, it's hard to justify because it's a sloppy translation. Seriously, how can you translate "point of boss battle" if the context clearly states that they're giving you the gist of a boss battle, rather than "you reach a point where you fight a boss." There's nothing to add here that would make the location job sound charming.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Development on the game isn't complete yet. Like chiasaur11 said, it's possible they haven't properly started translating it yet.

• Options

Weiss also posted this. It sounds AWFUL. I can do a better job and I've never been a professional translator, nor have I seen the original text:
    Boss battles: You can tell it's a boss battle because a gauge indicating the boss's health will appear as you enter the room. You need to destroy him ASAP. Beck's movements are the same as in any other part of the stage.

I even spiced it up with more text so it sounds nice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    "You know it's a boss because it's an empty room with only one opponent. Kill it!"

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Why are you guys complaining about translation of a beta build? There's no way that's the official translation. It was probably thrown together by Inti-Creates using rudimentary Japanese-taught English skills (i.e. the kind of crap you saw on early NES games)

Wait for the full release - if it's still crap, then complain. But if the official translators have a good track record I see no reason to assume they will do a bad job.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Why are you guys complaining about translation of a beta build? There's no way that's the official translation. It was probably thrown together by Inti-Creates using rudimentary Japanese-taught English skills (i.e. the kind of crap you saw on early NES games)

Wait for the full release - if it's still crap, then complain. But if the official translators have a good track record I see no reason to assume they will do a bad job.

Seriously you guys, there is no way this is the final 8-4 translation. Calm the hell down.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    This is the internet, if you don't see someone complaining about little details, then you have to worry because there's something going on.

But still, the game is already funded, they should have put a little more effort there, even if it's a beta.

RockinX on