Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Hoooly shit. So I started trying Crash Landing last night and I just could not get a 'run' started. Today I tried a few more times before I decided to check out FunshineX's 'quick start'. It took a few tries to get it going the first night, and it was quite different than his because he had special mobs turned off for the first few episodes of his videos because there was a problem with the mod that got updated and fixed later. And then I had another run die to a silly mob death before I finally got a run sort of going. Water isn't too much of an issue now, though I just recently got out of the Hunger Overhaul grace period, so now I'm subject to the diminishing returns... which is a bit problematic because I really don't have access to too much. Rice, tea leaves, and I just recently got an orange tree and then an apple tree going.

I have a good wall around my base and a trench outside that, though the last few times night has been coming, I've been using the bed I just made to sleep before mobs spawn. I get an absolutely ludicrous amount of creepers in my trench otherwise and they're a giant pain to actually take out, and a lot of the time they end up blowing up and destroying all the drops from other mobs around them.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what I need to do next... I've sifted some dirt and have a few grass seeds (also got a rubber tree seed, which is nice). Perhaps I need to make a patch of dirt, let the grass spread on that and then bonemeal it to start getting some of the other plant seeds? At least, that's how it worked in Agrarian Skies anyway.

I had to take a break though, was playing for 4 hours. It's interesting, but intense and frustrating...

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Please tell me you have mob griefing turned off, unless the creator already fixed that

the map really doesn't work with it on

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the second thing I do after enabling the questing mod.

I did notice that once I successfully got the cobblegen up in one night with the pyrotheum actually moved and the lava covered so that I didn't have creeper blasts going off like crazy, that there were waaaay fewer mobs outside around me. I don't know if there's some kind of mechanic where the explosions were drawing more monsters to the area, or if it was more straight forward that when the zombies caught on fire and took damage, they spawned more zombies around them. It was extremely noticable though, that's for sure.

I guess I can use the apple/orange juices to try to knock my rice foods out of the most recently consumed things, so that might be something I have to do. I will have to mess with a patch of grass to get more seeds, but I'm getting close to being able to head into the city.

Speaking of mobGriefing though, Etho started Crash Landing yesterday and he didn't turn it off. The craters he already had on day 1, oh man...

• Options
    I'm guessing he will restart yet again. It'll keep happening until he stops being a fool and goes the easy route for the sync shell.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been doing the hard method myself. It's certainly tough. If I manage to get past the little hump I'm at right now with food I should be fine.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    mob griefing has to be off. Theres special creepers that blow up huge, and from just dying. I lost a huge chunk of the ship to it once.

I've yet to survive more than two nights, usually the huge creeper death bombs, even with mob griefing off, kill me through the walls :neutral_face:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    I was fiddling with Computercraft and Big Reactors a while ago and I wrote a little program to draw a graph of turbine speed and power output:
    ihKOGx3.jpg
    Red line is speed, yellow line is output.

I knew about the drop in output outside of the optimal speeds but it's kind of neat to see it drawn out.

Once it's up to max speed all you see is a couple of boring straight lines though. I could put in some code to adjust reactor and turbine settings based on the power buffer status but that's more effort than I feel like putting in to have graphs with curves all the time.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    That's pretty awesome @pentium166‌.
    Man, it's been a long while since I've last played with ComputerCraft.
    Last thing I made was a GPS-enabled auto-builder program (for turtles) that uses simple blueprint files and a block index.
    This was back in 1.4.7, I think.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    I haven't used turtles yet but that seems pretty useful. I have all these ideas for large builds where building automation would be handy (and greatly increase my chances of actually finishing the build).
    I've got some Redstone in Motion frames set up with block placers and ME transition planes but I haven't used them for much other than digging a big circular pit down to bedrock and lining it with paved whitestone blocks.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    mob griefing has to be off. Theres special creepers that blow up huge, and from just dying. I lost a huge chunk of the ship to it once.

I've yet to survive more than two nights, usually the huge creeper death bombs, even with mob griefing off, kill me through the walls :neutral_face:

Yeah, that's right around how far I was getting originally, second night/third day. My original strat was rushing the defensive wall, but that was getting me too far behind on getting some water production up. The strat of using the pyrotheum and the water leak to start cobblegen right away definitely worked better for me after some practice, because once you do it fast enough, you're able to move the whole thing so it's contained and then you don't have to worry about the creepers blowing up in the leak/fires on the first night. It definitely causes a huge problem when that shit is going off like crazy.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    pentium166 wrote: »
    I haven't used turtles yet but that seems pretty useful. I have all these ideas for large builds where building automation would be handy (and greatly increase my chances of actually finishing the build).
    I've got some Redstone in Motion frames set up with block placers and ME transition planes but I haven't used them for much other than digging a big circular pit down to bedrock and lining it with paved whitestone blocks.

I want to make a blueprint of a giant Creeper statue, then make a whole bunch of them facing out towards the ocean, like Easter Island.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »

I want to make a blueprint of a giant Creeper statue, then make a whole bunch of them facing out towards the ocean, like Easter Island.
    If you're really interested, this is the code I wrote way back when and this is an example blueprint file.
    Fair warning - the code isn't especially user friendly and is far from feature complete. To use this, you absolutely need to have a grasp of lua and how it's used in Computercraft, as well as how to set up a Computercraft GPS system.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »

If you're really interested, this is the code I wrote way back when and this is an example blueprint file.
    Fair warning - the code isn't especially user friendly and is far from feature complete. To use this, you absolutely need to have a grasp of lua and how it's used in Computercraft, as well as how to set up a Computercraft GPS system.

Heh, probably beyond me right now then.

I could have sworn there was a mod that enabled you to scan in blocks and then reproduce them

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Heh, probably beyond me right now then.

I could have sworn there was a mod that enabled you to scan in blocks and then reproduce them

Schematica. Well it lets you overlay schematics on top of the world.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Buildcraft used to have something along those lines, though it was really broken for ages. I hear it's fixed in the current version though.

• Options
    I wonder how big an object the schematics can handle. It would be nifty to take one of those giant Iron Man statues (Radi's?) and clone them everywhere.

I need some advice on a build I'm currently attempting. I'm trying to make an underwater lair / lemonade production plant, and I'm encountering the following issues:
    1. I need some way to harvest lemons from the lemon trees. Is there a way to harvest just the lemons? I've noticed that when I apply bone meal to the lemon trees, they'll drop lemons, so a device that applies bone meal and then something that sucks up drops (vacuum or golem) could work, but I'd prefer something less resource intensive. I don't think the Fertilizer machine works on the lemon trees, nor do I think the sprinkler works.
    2. Is there a way to automate making something if one of the items is non-consumable? For instance, the lemonade recipe uses a squeezer, but I can't automate this in the Auto-Workbench.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Not sure about automation but I think one of the mods has a fruit picker that may be able to harvest ripe lemons without chopping the tree down. It's the same mod that has the planter/harvester/rancher.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah MFR has a Fruit Picker. You can probably get an ME Level Emitter to stop it from working when there's plenty of lemons in the system, though it doesn't sound like you're running an ME system. Unfortunate because it was my answer to your second question.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ME systems are basically the answer to everything, they're so wonderful.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been making a whole bunch of production lines using them. My favorite is the one that automatically makes the 64k storage drives. I just wish I could get the 128^3 drive that I made working.

• Options
    I need to think of a good form of currency to use for the next map. Emeralds can be too easily grown, so I think they're out. I'm contemplating using compressed cobblestone as currency for my planned supermarket

• Options
    I made patterns to automate up to 256k storage drives and then my server buddy went and put everything into deep storage units with storage buses instead. :|

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The cubed drives are for spatial storage, not item storage. You build a bunch of pylons and shit around an area and zap it into the drive. What's interesting is that you can also store players into the drive, who can then store stuff inside the spatial drive into another spatial drive. I think on one of the Forgecraft servers that someone once made a 3 deep spatial storage and then chunk loaded it for all their power. Just because. It essentially works as a limited size mystcraft void age, except without the potentially bad modifiers/pages you don't want.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    I'm really loving how Buildcraft is moving away from kinetic energy systems and pipe transport into building things automatically with flying robots. It's actually a fitting name for what it does.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    The cubed drives are for spatial storage, not item storage. You build a bunch of pylons and shit around an area and zap it into the drive. What's interesting is that you can also store players into the drive, who can then store stuff inside the spatial drive into another spatial drive. I think on one of the Forgecraft servers that someone once made a 3 deep spatial storage and then chunk loaded it for all their power. Just because. It essentially works as a limited size mystcraft void age, except without the potentially bad modifiers/pages you don't want.

oooohhh... that sounds very very very interesting...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I also managed to nuke my ME drives on my Agrarian Skies map. Curse you Bound Pickaxe. I really wish there was a way to disable that shit if you want, outside of configs. It's so goddamn annoyingly easy to do and it set me back a hell of a long way. I lost all my drives except 1, which was a crappy 1k drive I'd had for ages.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I've been loving the Iron Tanks from Railcraft. Pulled almost 2k buckets of lava out of my mine shaft, and pulled ~800 buckets of oil out of another.

Sadly I haven't really done anything with the actual rails portion of it. Also regret passing on AE2. I need ME storage!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    ME storage is the greatest of things. Even if you dont get into the automation stuff (like me), its a really good mod to have.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »

oooohhh... that sounds very very very interesting...

But, how do we know that we aren't already inside a spatial storage drive??? :confused:

• Options
    With some clever planning, you can use spatial storage for player teleportation. This is obviously made moot by mods like Mystcraft, but it still makes for a cool build.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So what you're saying is ME can become Mainframe?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

As long as it doesn't turn into this:
    ZKbqhTP.png

Oh, and apparently Microsoft is trying to buy Mojang for 2 Billion dollars.

Yes, with a B.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular

Uh, ok, crap. Right. Looks like I'm going to get up to date with the latest in modded Minecraft politics and figure out how all this rubbish affects the server I'm trying to build.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I'm half expecting the deal to fall through and Amazon swooping in and making another weird purchase

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I would totally sell out every principle I have for $2 billion. That's like "yacht made out of Bugattis" money. I'm curious to see if that much would "make sense" for Notch.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If he does end up selling I wonder what will happen with the versions on Sony's stuff. 4J are the people behind the ports. I wonder if Microsoft can cancel the license or if they'll be able to continue updating them.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I would totally sell out every principle I have for $2 billion. That's like "yacht made out of Bugattis" money. I'm curious to see if that much would "make sense" for Notch.

Fuck yeah, me too. Maybe he won't though because he's already pretty much set for life from Minecraft sales so what does a few more zeros in his bank account matter?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Takel wrote: »

Uh, ok, crap. Right. Looks like I'm going to get up to date with the latest in modded Minecraft politics and figure out how all this rubbish affects the server I'm trying to build.

Shouldn't affect it at all I don't think? Especially if you start with an existing pack (I'd recommend building from bevo's mini pack)

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Fuck yeah, me too. Maybe he won't though because he's already pretty much set for life from Minecraft sales so what does a few more zeros in his bank account matter?

3 supermodel girlfriends as opposed to just 2. But yeah, depends on the person I guess. It's not like he's been rolling out the hits since Minecraft (though Cliffhorse was pretty awesome), but he might just still be a dude that just wants to make games and have pizza money.