Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Has anyone come across any shale/natural gas blocks in their travels? I'm currently doing some underground strip mining for the express purpose of finding one of these things. I get that, and I can start making Toxic Gas and Corrosive Gas. I just wish there was an easier way to deploy it into the environment; the only means so far I've found of deploying gas blocks is by using a Chimney. It would also be nice to find something I can use to get rid of all these Smoke blocks cluttering my ceilings.

Here's what you do: Go to Terrendos Tower when it's night and you can fly. If you look out to the southeast of the entrance/exit and fly out that direction, you'll see a 1 block hole straight to bedrock about 100 blocks away. Go down to bedrock and walk forward.

You're now in a bedrock world created by Thaumic Tinkerer. If you look to your right from the entrance you should see a gaping hole in the bedrock ceiling that leads to the top of the world. The top of the world has, oddly enough, several gas geysers that are very easy to spot.

Seriously though, don't lose track of the way out and bring some sort of flight with you because it's totally possible to get stuck there forever if you screw up.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I really kinda wish we had a server with Crash Landing running on it. Be a very interesting change of pace.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Like on the server?
    Pretty sure the entirety of my base was quarried.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I really kinda wish we had a server with Crash Landing running on it. Be a very interesting change of pace.

We would either need to run several worlds with shared chat, or have a stupidly stuffed crashed vehicle for when everyone plays at once

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah Crash Landing is very much a solo or duo map. Any more people and it starts to get really dumb.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I've gone through three botched runs due to getting 0-4 bones per night completely stunting progression, somehow finding myself outside the ship with three tough spiders and dying

this last time glitching out of the roof of the craft via chair

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I had a really good run going in Crash Landing that I was working with on and off for a bit. A few nights ago or so I went through and dug out 3 layers of dust from under my base and replaced it with cobble (dust is apparently set with a heat value in Enviromine, so it'll make you hot when you're near it, though that might only be during the day), and I rebuilt my wall out of cobble as well. Was feeling pretty good and decided to try to finish off the last few skeletons/ghouls I needed to complete Night Fright when I aggroed a tough spider and was trying to fight it on top of my ship. He took waaay more hits with my mattock than I expected and while I was working on him, suddenly I got hit from the side by a small spider and got juggled and died. Was pretty pissed about that.

So then the other night I decided to try a new run and just do the Easy route to get a Sync shell up reasonably. I was on something like day 3 or 4, maybe 5, was doing fine and it was just after dawn, so I was heading out to collect and clean up the spiders/creepers. I stepped out of the ship to lure the spiders on top to drop down so I could kill them, but I got hit away from my 1-wide doorway before I could retreat. So I started moving the other way and fighting the spider, but the creeper that was just around the corner of the ship behind me must've seen me and got near, I started moving away from him when he started hissing, but the spider hit me and slowed my escape so the explosion one shot me. I hadn't set up the Sync shell yet because I had so many things I was trying to get done on the nights, so... fuck.

Haven't tried it again just yet, have been thinking about it though. I really wanna get to the point that I can start messing around with Steve's Factory Manager and stuff, which I could've done on the first really good run I mentioned before I died stupidly. Ugh. I haven't even been to the city yet to get the smeltery stuff, though I really would like to get a run started and the first city visit done before 1.1.3 comes out, since he's going to be burying the city then and those buildings are going to be waaay more dangerous when that happens.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Mojang officially sold Minecraft to Microsoft for a cool 2.5 billion. Notch also left completely, but he hasn't been working on Minecraft for a while I don't believe.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I don't blame him. That's a lot of fucking money. I'd do it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for Minecraft to be integrated with GFWL.

:trollface:

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    This could go either very well or very badly.
    Worst case scenario, as I see it, is Microsoft turning Minecraft into a closed platform. This could effectively kill modding.
    Best case, Microsoft works together with Forge and/or Sponge to bring a modding golden age.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    This could go either very well or very badly.
    Worst case scenario, as I see it, is Microsoft turning Minecraft into a closed platform. This could effectively kill modding.
    Best case, Microsoft works together with Forge and/or Sponge to bring a modding golden age.

I really don't understand why embracing the mod community wouldn't be done. I mean, there are shit heads, yes. But essentially you are getting more content for your game and renewing interest.
    I don't know that I would've enjoyed the game as much as I have without the addition of modding.
    Also it means I'm not sure I could go back to the base game.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I can't see MS spending much effort on keeping the non MS platform versions up-to-date. Xbox versions will get all the new stuff long before iOS,android,ps3,ps4,vita. I also see many more features coming out behind a paywall or subscription.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I personally don't think Mojang itself is worth anywhere near that kind of cash. The 2.5bil is for Minecraft as an IP. Their development ethics have been less than acceptable IMHO with the rate they do things.

What I hope for is a fire to be lit under their asses now. Proper development processes, a good code overhaul, things like the bloody modding API (lol, get real. That's like HL3 or FFXIV) gets more attention beyond a couple of files with commented headers and maybe some proper direction and focus in the game aside from adding 'adventure mode' scrolling credits after killing a dragon without touching combat mechanics outside of the extremely crude or setting up this 'realms' crap without first making sure the server software is up to snuff. But that'll involve replacing all of the developers with people who are actually able to work.

Chance are though nothing much would change; Mojang would fall under the umbrella of Microsoft as a pure business relationship and the Realms would be shunted off into Microsoft's Azure infrastructure with possibly the XBO version having a Realms server browser powered by Azure of some sort integrated into it.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I'd like to think this will mean Mojang gets some talented MS engineers and we see an end to java. Phil so far has had a pretty good head on his shoulders, and he's already explicitly stated they'll continue to support other platforms in the video released today.

Now Minecraft 2...well, that's another story I'm sure.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Microsoft is basically buying the IP and install base. It kind of feels to me like buying a hopping oil well after its been pumped of most of its oil in regards to revenue, but I guess we'll see.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Yeah, Microsoft is basically buying the IP and install base. It kind of feels to me like buying a hopping oil well after its been pumped of most of its oil in regards to revenue, but I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they think they are going to break even on $2.5 billion in a year

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not sure how they think they are going to break even on $2.5 billion in a year

They aren't. But over 5-10 years? Integrating Minecraft into other things and having access to those users as they grow up? It could be a good move.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If they can manage to instill a sense of goodwill in the users currently playing MC (kids), they can ride that puppy for a long ways.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The news about MS buying it....The most stupid question I see in all these articles.

"Why did you sell Minecraft to Microsoft".
    Response: (Some response that sounds very nice and sensible).
    Real Response in his head " ITS TWO POINT FIVE BILLION DOLLARS YOU IDIOT"

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Since he owns 71% of the company, does that mean he personally gets like 1.7 billion?

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    MuddBudd wrote: »

They aren't. But over 5-10 years? Integrating Minecraft into other things and having access to those users as they grow up? It could be a good move.

I should have linked the article I was referring to.

Microsoft Buys Minecraft Mojang
    In a press release, Microsoft officials said they expect the acquisition to be "break-even" in Fiscal Year 2015, which ends June 30, 2015, on a GAAP basis.

Edit: I guess the magic lies in "...on a GAAP basis."

Annnnnd of course you have the "" which usually means smoke and mirrors and lies.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'd like to think this will mean Mojang gets some talented MS engineers and we see an end to java. Phil so far has had a pretty good head on his shoulders, and he's already explicitly stated they'll continue to support other platforms in the video released today.

Now Minecraft 2...well, that's another story I'm sure.

Java does have its merits, and I daresay that a lot of its popularity in the desktop space wouldn't be there if it weren't for that fact it can operate on all three major desktop OSes with minimal user tinkering. User problems, that's a totally different matter... And that IMHO has a major impact on the product as a whole because once you hit critical mass in the brainspace of the public, then you have that viral hit and the demand across all platforms.

Getting rid of Java right now would mean rewriting the entire thing then trying to figure out how to get it to run on Windows, MacOSX, Linux without costing too much. There's a lot on the surface that needs to be looked at for Minecraft. The disk IO it requires, RAM, how much time is spent wasted on frivolous crap like resampling random lightning or the growth ticks. Implementing proper honest to god occlusion culling and generally doing things in a less retarded manner that doesn't involve hardcoding arbitrary values.

I can see that things would be business as usual for the most part and IF there is a sequel, things will be interesting in what it'll be like. Could we see it move to DirectX (given that PS4 and XBO are both DirectX machines now)? Who can say?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I had a really good run going in Crash Landing that I was working with on and off for a bit. A few nights ago or so I went through and dug out 3 layers of dust from under my base and replaced it with cobble (dust is apparently set with a heat value in Enviromine, so it'll make you hot when you're near it, though that might only be during the day), and I rebuilt my wall out of cobble as well. Was feeling pretty good and decided to try to finish off the last few skeletons/ghouls I needed to complete Night Fright when I aggroed a tough spider and was trying to fight it on top of my ship. He took waaay more hits with my mattock than I expected and while I was working on him, suddenly I got hit from the side by a small spider and got juggled and died. Was pretty pissed about that.

So then the other night I decided to try a new run and just do the Easy route to get a Sync shell up reasonably. I was on something like day 3 or 4, maybe 5, was doing fine and it was just after dawn, so I was heading out to collect and clean up the spiders/creepers. I stepped out of the ship to lure the spiders on top to drop down so I could kill them, but I got hit away from my 1-wide doorway before I could retreat. So I started moving the other way and fighting the spider, but the creeper that was just around the corner of the ship behind me must've seen me and got near, I started moving away from him when he started hissing, but the spider hit me and slowed my escape so the explosion one shot me. I hadn't set up the Sync shell yet because I had so many things I was trying to get done on the nights, so... fuck.

Haven't tried it again just yet, have been thinking about it though. I really wanna get to the point that I can start messing around with Steve's Factory Manager and stuff, which I could've done on the first really good run I mentioned before I died stupidly. Ugh. I haven't even been to the city yet to get the smeltery stuff, though I really would like to get a run started and the first city visit done before 1.1.3 comes out, since he's going to be burying the city then and those buildings are going to be waaay more dangerous when that happens.

Crash Landing is INSANELY hard, Always go for the easy method, and the first thing you should always do is set up your sync shell.

Second thing you should do is beeline for a cobble generator so you can make a survivalist generator to keep the energy cell charged.

Right now I've got a huge area infront of the ship walled off with big cobble walls that spiders cant climb (still need to light it to stop spawns though, and I'm shearing the trees and putting the leaves in the fluid transposer for water, but I'm surviving on zombie jerky and am close to hitting a point of having no food at all so this run will probably end shortly.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    The real money is now to be found in merchandising and educational contracts.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Crash Landing is INSANELY hard, Always go for the easy method, and the first thing you should always do is set up your sync shell.

Second thing you should do is beeline for a cobble generator so you can make a survivalist generator to keep the energy cell charged.

Right now I've got a huge area infront of the ship walled off with big cobble walls that spiders cant climb (still need to light it to stop spawns though, and I'm shearing the trees and putting the leaves in the fluid transposer for water, but I'm surviving on zombie jerky and am close to hitting a point of having no food at all so this run will probably end shortly.

Well, first thing I like these days is day 1 cobblegen before the first nightfall, but I definitely should've set up the sync shell constructor that night. I believe I had spent most of that first night expanding the inside of the ship, which probably wasn't necessary.

Rice from the rice seed you get from making your kitchen utensils is pretty versatile, from the rice soup to cooking the rice into rice cakes to being able to make flour from it into dough (though that does take water, at least you can extend that water use a bit by using the Pam's water barrels), which opens up bread and toast.

It takes a bit of luck, but if you can get sugar cane early from dirt sieving, it allows you to get sugar which lets you make jelly out of your fruits (apples at least, I think oranges as well?), and the other thing you need is a peanut seed from either dirt sieving or grass, at which point you're set being able to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Using different jellies makes the sandwiches count as different foods, they restore a good amount of hunger and have pretty decent saturation. Once you can make them, you can basically switch between two different types of jelly sandwiches and never hit diminishing returns. I was super close to being there in that good run, I just needed to get sugar... so damn annoying.

I've been musing a bit about water production since the 1.1.2.1 update last week changed the ratio on water from leaves in a crucible. It was previously 50mB each, but now it's 100mB each just like a transposer. You don't get the chance for saplings like you do from the transposer, but since shears already have a low chance of sapling drops, I'm not sure that's a big deal really.

I did see a pretty good idea for mid game production... once you can get a Harvester running, 2x2 Jungle trees are fucking amazing. They auto-shear leaves and the vines that always grow on the huge 2x2 jungle trees, so you get a huge amount of leaves which you can route to water production, route the vines to barrels for composting/dirt production, and you get a large amount of wood which you can turn into charcoal to keep the thing self powered. Definitely going to be heading that way if I ever get to mid game, since you need PneumatiCraft before you can make any machines really.

• Options
    I've been watching Direwolf20's Crash Landing series. I was worried that the modpack would just turn into Agrarian Skies 2.0 with the same types of infrastructure setups, but it seems different enough so far to be interesting. Might have to give it a spin here soon. It kinda has a Pitch Black vibe going (except not eternal night).

• Options
    I might give crash landing a go, but Pixelmon currently beckons!

• Options
    is there a up to date pixelmon pack with the latest version or did you download it yourself and stick it in?

• Options
    Using the ATL launcher (the same one that the yogscast complete is on).
    I dunno, it seems like it could be fun.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I should have linked the article I was referring to.

Microsoft Buys Minecraft Mojang
    In a press release, Microsoft officials said they expect the acquisition to be "break-even" in Fiscal Year 2015, which ends June 30, 2015, on a GAAP basis.

Edit: I guess the magic lies in "...on a GAAP basis."

Annnnnd of course you have the "" which usually means smoke and mirrors and lies.
    The more I think about it, the less sense it makes that they specifically pointed out GAAP. Cost of capital is important, but in GAAP, money not earned is not an expense, nor otherwise recorded anywhere on the books. If MS expects to make at least as much on Minecraft as their cost of capital, for the sake of better information, they should be saying that, and not something that sounds like "we will totally make back the 2.5bil we just spent in under a year, honest".

• Options
    I tried a little skymap play and got bored of it. I think I just need some texture to work with to get the creative juices going. The presence of the city is a huge attraction for me, scavenging ruined structures in Minecraft is a fantastic pastime.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Well fuck.

All the Crash Landing talk tempted me to give it a real shot for the first time. The first attempt ended quickly, in part due to a creeper blowing up my doorway despite mob griefing being off. The second attempt went much smoother, and three or so hours later I had a decent base going, with water and food supplies stabilizing. One day I opened up a one square hole in my wall to work on the enemy killing quest. I take my eye off it for a second, and a baby spider crawls through.

The fucking thing kills me in two hits through full armor. I respawn, panicking, looks outside my window and sees that it is gone. When I approach my gravestone it turns out that it had just hidden, and once again it kills me in two hits.

Yeah, not going to give this thing another shot any time soon.

• Options
    I have not ran into any two-hitters so far, just tough spiders in groups wearing me down and the occasional poison spider.

Surprise creepers always a presence, which is why I've dug pits absolutely everywhere to catch them into their own little dust prisons. That hunt monsters quest can stuff it until I get some generators on my sync shell.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I actually started a couple of attempts late last night/early this morning, took me a couple of tries to get day 1 cobblegen up. One was going well and then the pyrotheum glitched the fuck out. I picked it up in my clay bucket and when I put it down at my cobblegen spot, nothing came out of the bucket, and the flowing pyrotheum never dissipated from around the engine, but the source block definitely wasn't there anymore. Very strange.

Aaaanyway, I finally got a run going and didn't get some sleep until 11am, whoops. However, I spent about 10-20 dirt through the sieve and eventually got sugar cane seeds! By that time I also got multiple grape and peanut seeds. So after setting up a small patch for sugar cane and standing around watering those and my small peanut/rice patches of farmland, I was able to make 5 PB&Js (which are grape jelly), 5 orange jelly sandwiches and 5 apple jelly sandwiches. Awww yeah!

I believe I'm just about ready to run into the city to grab the smeltery parts at this point, I made my golden bag of holding in preparation so I have enough room to bring loot back. I should probably make a second camel pack and have it full... at first I was thinking to bring with me as a second water source, but I should probably have one at the base in case I die so my clone can come get my stuff. Hmm... maybe two extra camel packs. A stack of ladders would be good too, I'm thinking I'll climb up the side of one of the tall buildings and glide my way back towards my base when I leave.

I did get a spider guard put up on my wall, which at least saves me from spider attacks, though it means that now I have a bunch of spiders stuck on the spider guard hissing at me all the time, but oh well. Being able to work outside at night is pretty nice. The fucking ghasts though... so annoying, they're completely silent until they attack you while you're working and scream in your ear. I have a water drum hooked up to a crucible over lava to melt leaves coming in from a hopper for my water as a replacement for using a fluid transposer. The crucible over lava is pretty slow compared to the transposer, but ah well. I'm not sure if it was keeping up with my needs or not actually because I was still using water from my transposer set up, both to empty it out and to give the new setup some time to build up a surplus. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I actually started a couple of attempts late last night/early this morning, took me a couple of tries to get day 1 cobblegen up. One was going well and then the pyrotheum glitched the fuck out. I picked it up in my clay bucket and when I put it down at my cobblegen spot, nothing came out of the bucket, and the flowing pyrotheum never dissipated from around the engine, but the source block definitely wasn't there anymore. Very strange.

Aaaanyway, I finally got a run going and didn't get some sleep until 11am, whoops. However, I spent about 10-20 dirt through the sieve and eventually got sugar cane seeds! By that time I also got multiple grape and peanut seeds. So after setting up a small patch for sugar cane and standing around watering those and my small peanut/rice patches of farmland, I was able to make 5 PB&Js (which are grape jelly), 5 orange jelly sandwiches and 5 apple jelly sandwiches. Awww yeah!

I believe I'm just about ready to run into the city to grab the smeltery parts at this point, I made my golden bag of holding in preparation so I have enough room to bring loot back. I should probably make a second camel pack and have it full... at first I was thinking to bring with me as a second water source, but I should probably have one at the base in case I die so my clone can come get my stuff. Hmm... maybe two extra camel packs. A stack of ladders would be good too, I'm thinking I'll climb up the side of one of the tall buildings and glide my way back towards my base when I leave.

I did get a spider guard put up on my wall, which at least saves me from spider attacks, though it means that now I have a bunch of spiders stuck on the spider guard hissing at me all the time, but oh well. Being able to work outside at night is pretty nice. The fucking ghasts though... so annoying, they're completely silent until they attack you while you're working and scream in your ear. I have a water drum hooked up to a crucible over lava to melt leaves coming in from a hopper for my water as a replacement for using a fluid transposer. The crucible over lava is pretty slow compared to the transposer, but ah well. I'm not sure if it was keeping up with my needs or not actually because I was still using water from my transposer set up, both to empty it out and to give the new setup some time to build up a surplus. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    Pahimar did a clever thing on his and Direwolf's playthrough series. Get yourself an OpenBlocks hang glider and build a big ol' tower next to your ship for significantly quicker trips to the city.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I know it costs energy to do it (a few very cheap survivalist generators should make due) but I prefer to put the sheared leaves in the fluid transposer

You get the same amount of water as you do from the crucible, but you also get a chance at extra saplings, which you can also run through the transposer for even more water!

My current round is about to come to an end however, as I fucked up early on the map and accidentally sprinted a few times and destroyed my hunger bar and food reserves to where I don't think I'm going to be able to get enough dirt to sieve before I starve to death.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Pahimar did a clever thing on his and Direwolf's playthrough series. Get yourself an OpenBlocks hang glider and build a big ol' tower next to your ship for significantly quicker trips to the city.

Indeed, that's why I mentioned gliding back to my base. But yes, I can build a tower at my base to head towards the city as well.

I am really nervous about the city exploration... armor is so crappy to have to wear, not totally sure if I should bother, but it might extend my survivability a little. Those pigmen especially seem to hit ridiculously hard. I'd love to nab some pressure chamber walls, but I also want to spend as little extra time there as possible.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I am quite proud of myself; I have successfully Fracked! Now I need to determine what I should do with my newly acquired WMD. It would be nice if the gas blocks were a persistent source if I were to place them in the world, but some how I doubt it.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42