As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I would like to build a base around Railcraft, but for the next several weeks I'm too busy to really get into Minecraft, or any video game, or anything other than work and sleep.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Anyone want to collaborate on something? My primary goal is to automate the production of rail tracks, preferably the high speed indestructible tracks, so as to connect the whole map. My secondary goal may be to take another shot at making my ginormous sky cube network.

Is there a preference for how to set-up a rail network? I'm planning to contour the tracks to the landscape, including using elevator tracks. So no 3x3 tunnel borer corridors.

I'd be down for helping as I can...if I can.
    I really want to do the triskellion and a few other city buildings I had in mind.

Also what was the sky cube network? which map was that?
    Was that the cube made of smaller cubes?
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I would like to build a base around Railcraft, but for the next several weeks I'm too busy to really get into Minecraft, or any video game, or anything other than work and sleep.

I don't think the new map will be up for the next several weeks.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Direwolf seems to be loving the channels and cable bandwidth in AE2 but I for sure won't have any love for it, Just dreadding having to deal with it.

automation was already a big pain in the ass as it is, now you got to deal with channels and everything else. Damn kids and their fancy woositwhatsits

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    My sky cube idea was to make a bunch of cubes in the sky using the Filler and then connect them with tunnels. It sounds better in my head than it will probably be in execution

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    just make sure you do it over the ocean @cshadow42‌

because it'll cast a huge shadow and be a modspawning problem on land.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    OR! Just put square pits of lava underneath the cubes. Let's see those mobs deal with that!

• Options
    I wish I could efficiently add in liquids (water, lava) to an area. I could make an aquarium in the sky :)

• Options
    I am peetty sure in one of the packs there was a good liquid filler type thingie. Cant recall what mod had it though.

I think water auto fills now, so basically you would just need to water top level around edges.

• Options
    For some odd reason, I have this urge to refill the Nether's lava :-p

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    I am peetty sure in one of the packs there was a good liquid filler type thingie. Cant recall what mod had it though.

I think water auto fills now, so basically you would just need to water top level around edges.

Buildcraft's Floodgate is perfect for that. Put it wherever you want the liquid to flood up to and start pumping it in through the top. When I make rivers and lakes in my Creative world I just stick a TE Creative Tank on top, fill it with water, wrench the tank and watch it fill in.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Wasn't Buildcraft being removed in the next batch?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Clearly the answer is to get a fuckload of florbs and throw them all over the joint.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I want to see if it's feasible to remove it, but it's not 100% one way or the other that it will

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I actually prefer the Buildcraft pipes for the visual feedback, but I understand it can be a lag monster compared to the other pipes.

Now I have a dream to create a monstrous lake full of nothing but mob essence in which I can bathe in. Its the next best thing to tears!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    If you want to get a Minecraft map of the UK, there's a more detailed version available now that uses 83 billion blocks to recreate the country. It's available from the UK's Ordnance Survey and the download is about 1GB in size.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/innovate/developers/minecraft-map-britain.html

• Options
    pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    I was going to automate mob essence production and fill one of my many quarry pits with it, but after finding a mystcraft symbol and making a world with oceans full of the stuff I lost interest. :(

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a single player mapper that doesn't require writing congif files/command prompts?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    If you want to get a Minecraft map of the UK, there's a more detailed version available now that uses 83 billion blocks to recreate the country. It's available from the UK's Ordnance Survey and the download is about 1GB in size.

Only problem with those maps is they tend to be incompatable with modded minecraft, which most of us play, because no mod plants/ores/etc.

and retrogenning them could lead to badness since its not a world built on a seed.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Only problem with those maps is they tend to be incompatable with modded minecraft, which most of us play, because no mod plants/ores/etc.

and retrogenning them could lead to badness since its not a world built on a seed.
    I'm not sure if Forge retrogen is based on seed, though. I think they mostly just run through blocks and look for isReplaceableByOre or something like that, looking for smoothstone or similar blocks.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So I wanted to get back into playing minecraft. Every time I try to launch the game, my computer/graphics card hardlocks and displays bright pink on both screens. As far as I can tell, no other program or game does it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything short of Windows itself at this point, and I'm at a loss.

Anyone heard of anything like this or how to fix it? I literally installed MC for the first time today since I rebuilt my computer from scratch in June.

Edit: Also, I can run the MC server just fine for what seems like an indefinite period of time without issues. 30+ minutes with someone else doing stuff, but when the game client is running, I hard lock within seconds to minutes.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Have you fooled around with java at all? checking what version you have?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Have you fooled around with java at all? checking what version you have?

Yeah, I'm running 1.7 Update 67 for both 32 and 64 bit. Minecraft is currently pointed at the 64 bit, but I've tried it with both only the 32 bit, or only the 64 bit installed, and with both installed but pointed at the 32 bit.

After some further testing last night, it seemed that the issue may be with 1.8 specifically. I started playing around in some of the past versions, and I was able to spend 15-20 minutes in 1.7 without any issues. They could still be there and just delayed, but it was far longer than I had been able to spend in any 1.8 world without the game locking up.

• Options
    I'll be looking for a base next to an ocean then, preferably one with a bit of a hill that I can build into for my initial stuff. I'll use the sky boxes for farming and to make some grinders to generate mob essence for fun and profit. What I've got in mind for the first sky box is a 32 x 32 x 32 box used for automating tree harvesting, with small 5x5x5 cubes branching out from it, with each cube dedicated to the production of one type of magic crop.

A mega-project far in the future may be a recreation of Dante's Inferno, with the varying circles of hell, complete with suffering villagers.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Hey, so I have a map of the underdark thingie we had played a while ago.
    How do I make it actually work?
    Edit:
    Have it working. Though, oh my god vanilla. (Wondering if I could load it up to work in one of the mod pack maps)
    Also not sure if the save I had was the one with my upsidedown castle.
    Still though. This map is freaking crazy.

Radiation on
  • Options
    My time with underdark was brief, and was long after the surge of people had come and gone, but it was amazing and I miss it.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Do the mushrooms still work and respawn? I don't remember if they had command blocks that still work for that.

If you have the clean map keep in mind the OverOcean needs to have its water settle before it can really be playable. And for the love of god add in respiration, depth strider and aqua affinity books in chests around the UnderOcean.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I think I might have accidently rushed the mushroom foresty bit by punching through a shitton of obsidian.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Re-installed but getting bored with single player. Last time I was on the server was NAW. I'm guessing there is still a server going? and how likely is my stuff to get covered in lava?

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I think I might have accidently rushed the mushroom foresty bit by punching through a shitton of obsidian.

Yup, the same happened on the main server. The idea was for people to have to find diamonds in the undersea area before they could progress to the mushroom forest, but it turns out I greatly underestimated the tenacity of my playerbase.

On that note, does anyone have tools or guides for mod creation they would recommend? There seem to be quite a few out there, but it's hard to know where to start.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

Yup, the same happened on the main server. The idea was for people to have to find diamonds in the undersea area before they could progress to the mushroom forest, but it turns out I greatly underestimated the tenacity of my playerbase.

On that note, does anyone have tools or guides for mod creation they would recommend? There seem to be quite a few out there, but it's hard to know where to start.

So....they just destroyed the obsidian? to get through?
    Holy shit. You fuckers are crazy.

Also we should do a modded UD Server! That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!

• Options

My dream is to some day make a new version with its own custom modpack, but that is going to take quite a lot of effort. I would be happy to play on a modded UD server using the last map though. The problem would be getting the new minerals like copper and silver that are needed by some of the mods into the map.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've gotten pretty deep into minecraft again, playing a single player Yogscast Complete Pack world. Ironically not getting deep at all into the world itself, since other than an initial mining expedition for basic coal and iron and redstone starting supplies all my stuff has been retrieved from squidpeople dungeons. The highlight was everything i'd need for a computer other than a crafting interface, including four 64k ME Storage drives, thus solving all my sorting problems for the forseeable future.

I really like tinker's construct, rapiers are absurd. I also made a jetpack/hang glider combo for myself, but haven't really looked too much into armor. I did make a set of modular powersuit armor, but then I looked at the materials i'd need for the add-ons and my eyes crossed. I've tried to get into thaumcraft, since scanning things for elements is fun, but trying to get further to the point of actually needing to craft stuff with those elements is hard to figure out.

Holy hell does using a resource pack with all those mods bring my computer to its knees. It's a good thing that I don't mind how vanilla looks.

• Options
    Just for the record, it takes something like 5+minutes to punch through obsidian.

And since players are two blocks tall, that's 10+ minutes per block of travel. Which is insanity.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Funny, nostalgia trip. I've been letting my kid play Minecraft recently (as opposed to watching me play, he's old enough now) and the Underdark 2 map is by far his favorite. He loves Lumberice and the giant obsidian creepers under the lake :)

Tried Underdark 3 but it starts us out on top of the bedrock enclosing the world and we couldn't find a way down into the caves.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Funny, nostalgia trip. I've been letting my kid play Minecraft recently (as opposed to watching me play, he's old enough now) and the Underdark 2 map is by far his favorite. He loves Lumberice and the giant obsidian creepers under the lake :)

Tried Underdark 3 but it starts us out on top of the bedrock enclosing the world and we couldn't find a way down into the caves.

Ah, yeah, I think that one relied on server shenanigans to get people to the "proper" spawn area. If you ever want to try again, I think you can break bedrock while in creative mode. Once you sleep down in the deep you will respawn from the bed properly.

Also, prepare for horrendous lag as the water from the ceiling settles in some areas.

Vic on
  • Options

My dream is to some day make a new version with its own custom modpack, but that is going to take quite a lot of effort. I would be happy to play on a modded UD server using the last map though. The problem would be getting the new minerals like copper and silver that are needed by some of the mods into the map.

We could circumvent that with a Mystcraft mining age?
    Or something...

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    The FTB and/or HQM guys and gals had a contest (JamPacked) for new HQM maps.
    They've announced the winner and it's Material Energy ^3.
    Haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't seem to be as unforgiving as Crash Landing. Might be worth checking out.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    WHen I punched through the wall on the UD server I might have used macros, and walked away from the computer. I vaguely remember finding that weird heart thing too, that was probably too early as well. I kinda just jumped into a river and found it.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Downloaded Feed the beast but can't figure out how to make it download the pa pack or anywhere to input the url.............

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Our server runs off of tekkit. So you'll need to grab that.

http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/pa-frankenstein
    That the URL for the pack

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!