As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    At this point I don't want the server for another couple of weeks, my gpu died so I'm totally out if it starts soon.

Well, Takel said it maybe was gonna be last week.

Which means, like, 6 more weeks

:heartbeat: Takel

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Default chunk distance was like 12? At least for me, which my comp wasn't liking that.

OH MY GOD THAT FIXED IT.

I dropped it to 6 and its buttery now.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    You know what was a neat idea?

The Underdark.
    There's been talk of a new Underdark several times now. Everybody loved the old ones, and a new one with added mods could be super cool.
    It just occurred to me that the Underdark would make for an incredible HQM map.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    What is HQM?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    What is HQM?
    Hardcore Question Mode.
    Basically a dynamic quest system for map and modpack makers.
    It's the backbone of Agrarian Skies, Crash Landing, and others.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Holy shit you guys. The filler animation in the new direwolf pack is pretty fantastic. I'm using it to clear for....building testing purposes, and its amazing.

• Options
    You talking about the flying cubes, Radi?

• Options
    Yes, it is wonderful. Also holy shit I will either need to scale back the city plan or think of something new. This underground skyscraper thing is larger than I thought it would be.
    I mean, it can definitely be scaled back, but still.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Really

You didn't think

that a skyscraper

UNDERGROUND

would be large?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    The Direwolf pack is giving me issues. Hitching all over the place

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    It doesn't work at all for me. It downloads and attempts to install each time I click play, and then starts up vanilla 1.7.10

• Options
    The FTB Launcher is a mediocre piece of technology that's super keen on breaking down under pressure. I imagine the first week of a Direwolf20 pack release is really hammering their servers.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    you need to manually update the ftb launcher cause theres a problem with it that cant be fixed via their autopatching

edit
    I still have trouble running the direwolf pack, it keeps freezing up and the console asking if the server time has changed cause its like 16,000ms behind or something

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Really

You didn't think

that a skyscraper

UNDERGROUND

would be large?

Shut up :(

• Options
    Really

You didn't think

that a skyscraper

UNDERGROUND

would be large?

Shut up :(

You are just literally incapable of thinking on any scale but UNIMAGINABLY HUMONGOUS. :heartbeat:

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So I started playing this recently and I'm finding vanilla has gotten rather boring. What are some good mods to try? I'm mainly interested in building crazier things and quality of life stuff.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Probably the best way to get started is to get the Direwolf20 pack on the FTB launcher, and check out his youtube channel to get an idea of the basics. He makes things very easy to understand and is how a lot of people get started.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, DW20 just started a new series a few days ago so you can play right along with him and discover things as he starts using them, or you can revert to his Season 6 pack and binge-watch the whole thing. It's like binge-watching a season of TV, except it's like 60 hours of content.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, DW20 is who got me into modded Minecraft. His videos are great and he comes up with a lot of unique solutions to tasks. He has to automate everything.

• Options
    That looks perfect guys, thanks!

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    So, I hit a weird thing I've never had before and I don't know how to fix it.

My nei wont search, I looked up a trash can..and that's it. That's all it shows, New searches wont show anything but the trash can. I cant filter or anything.

• Options
  • Options
    So, I hit a weird thing I've never had before and I don't know how to fix it.

My nei wont search, I looked up a trash can..and that's it. That's all it shows, New searches wont show anything but the trash can. I cant filter or anything.
    That's a known bug in NEI for 1.7.10. Filtering can also sometimes be extremely slow and @Mod searching sometimes doesn't work.
    Only fix I know is restarting the game.

Hopefully ChickenBones will have a fix soon.

• Options
    Restarting takes forever though. Ugh.

• Options
    Welp, I had to update Java and reinstall once but I got it working! Spawn point is on a tiny little island and there is this giant black tower not far off spewing lava. Had to replace my door with dirt blocks because some asshole hobgoblins kept just walking into my house.

I'm also getting way more lag than I did in vanilla. Is that normal?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Welp, I had to update Java and reinstall once but I got it working! Spawn point is on a tiny little island and there is this giant black tower not far off spewing lava. Had to replace my door with dirt blocks because some asshole hobgoblins kept just walking into my house.

I'm also getting way more lag than I did in vanilla. Is that normal?

I assume you're using FTB? Then yep! It adds a lot of RAM and CPU intensive stuff, which can take it's toll. You can try allocating more RAM in the launcher if you have it, as well as turning down things like view distance and advanced lighting.

• Options
    reduce the chunk loading distance in the options from 12 to like 5.

• Options
    Also I keep hearing explosions but can't seem to find what is causing them.

• Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Also I keep hearing explosions but can't seem to find what is causing them.

Creeperplant from Pneumaticraft

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Assuming the new Direwolf pack,fastcraft helped me a lot, as did turning off the local web server map thing for Journeymap. I also found that enderminis(mites?) seam to hate creepers as well and I've seen them attack ones randomly and then the creeper blows up in their face.

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So there is a giant spire of basalt right next to my island which has a slime island near the top. I built a stairway around the sides to get up there to get some slime stuff, but that apparently affected the flow of the lava that was coming down off the top of the spire, and when I came back I discovered the entire outside had become covered in lava. So I had to do a crazy project to dig a staircase inside the spire to get up to the top so I could take off the lava source block with a bucket. All while having to worry that digging in the wrong spot would result in lava flooding my excavation.

I'm gonna have to get Mystcraft going I think because I am in the middle of a Deep Ocean biome and my attempts at naval exploration have so far just discovered some equally crappy islands and some kind of death island with ruins filled with quicksand that keep spawning Witches.

• Options
    Theres a serious problem with d20 pack where if you explore to much your game just crawls to 0fps.

Even with fastcraft.

• Options
    Seems like we may be a while before an actual stable release, which I imagine is affecting our eventualserver release.

• Options
    Apparently Ender IO has, or will soon have, teleportation tracks for building rail lines.

• Options
    So apparently my world got corrupted in the d20 pack, and forge refuses to load it.

Suddenly I'm missing the days of id conflicts.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I decided to mess around with FTB again.

Had that issue where Minecraft stutters every couple of seconds, related to Java garbage collection. I had a 32-bit Java installed, updated to the latest 64-bit version.

Now my FTB server crashes on launch. :|

• Options
    It seems like things may be unstable for a while.
    Play Trove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Can someone explain to me why you'd use big reactors turbines over just building a bigger reactor?

Cause I find it hard to see the benefit of it.

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    It seems like things may be unstable for a while.
    Play Trove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a thread for Trove? I couldn't find one.
    Can someone explain to me why you'd use big reactors turbines over just building a bigger reactor?

Cause I find it hard to see the benefit of it.

Well, on the I guess still current? server, you can get much more power from them. But that was several BR updates ago.

• Options
    Yeah but, I mean, it takes ALOT of resources to make a good turbine (Like, enderium blocks and shit) so why not just make a bigger reactor as opposed to making turbines.