As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    a 4x4 bigreactor is enough to power it.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Look it's hardly my fault that my exploding bees were too badass to exist.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    And hated Jews, apparently.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    No no no, you misheard, they hate, juice. Juice

• Options
    Hmm. I think I might build a skybase.

I'd like to try a void base, but since Mystcraft is gonna be a nogo..

• Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    My goal, build a base in a single chunk (it can be multiple chunks up / down).

I don't know how well it will work out but I am excited.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Lux782 wrote: »

Not necessarily a good idea to cram too many per-tick calculations in a single chunk.
    Especially if something gets so broken that the only way to fix it is by nuking the chunk from orbit.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hey all my minecraft don't work. I keep getting this error:
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for 2097152KB object heap

Googling just leads me to pages and pages of Java programming stuff. Any idea what I need to do to make minecraft go boom?

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I'm no expert, but it looks like Java is trying to allocate more memory than you have available.
    Try again with less stuff running in the background, preferably after a reboot.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but it looks like Java is trying to allocate more memory than you have available.
    Try again with less stuff running in the background, preferably after a reboot.

There's nothing running and I've rebooted several times. This has been happening for a week.

• Options
    Did you go through the regular emergency procedure?
    1. Completely uninstall and reinstall Java.*
    2. Completely uninstall and reinstall Minecraft.
    3. Panic, run around screaming.

*You'll want both 32bit and 64bit versions, if you have a 64bit machine. Also, be sure to install Java 7, not Java 8.

• Options
    Did you go through the regular emergency procedure?
    1. Completely uninstall and reinstall Java.*
    2. Completely uninstall and reinstall Minecraft.
    3. Panic, run around screaming.

*You'll want both 32bit and 64bit versions, if you have a 64bit machine. Also, be sure to install Java 7, not Java 8.

erg. I don't think I want to play it that badly. Thanks anyway, all.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Are you running vanilla minecraft? If not you can allocate more ram via some of the launchers.
    Also is this happening in one map? Have you tried other maps?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Radiation wrote: »
    Are you running vanilla minecraft? If not you can allocate more ram via some of the launchers.
    Also is this happening in one map? Have you tried other maps?

Vanilla. The game won't even start so it's not a map issue I don't think.

edit: Java gives me an error when I even try to uninstall it. Forget it; this isn't worth the headache.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    If your java installation is that screwed up, it needs to be reinstalled.

• Options
    Lux782 wrote: »

Not necessarily a good idea to cram too many per-tick calculations in a single chunk.
    Especially if something gets so broken that the only way to fix it is by nuking the chunk from orbit.

Yeah but I don't think we've ever had a situation that required chunkregenning.

Personally I've always tried to cram my bases into the smallest footprint because chunkloading.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    We....use bases?
    What?
    Like, filling with things?

Radiation on
  • Options
    When will this torment end? Rails beckon me in my dreams.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I'm getting a new computer in a couple days. First one in 5+ years. I am ecstatic at being able to push MC to its limits, and beyond!

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I'm getting a new computer in a couple days. First one in 5+ years. I am ecstatic at being able to push MC to its limits, and beyond!
    Keep in mind the two major players will be how much RAM you've got and whether or not you're running the game from an SSD.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well folks...after watching "Neebs Gaming" cover Minecraft, I got in the mood to punch some more blocks. Just one teeny problem: after a minute of playing, MC crashes out with the following:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.
    Error code: 9
    Would you like to visit (nvidia generic support page) for help?"

Bearing in mind, Minecraft ran just fine and dandy back when I had a pair of GeForce 670s in SLI and with driver 344.16...but now that I've installed a 970 in there, I can't keep the game open for more than a minute. Any ideas?

I should also note that I've uninstalled/reinstalled Minecraft, ran a search for this error and changed Nvidia control panel to no use Adaptive power management profiles, and other basic troubleshooting techniques that I'm familiar with.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Well folks...after watching "Neebs Gaming" cover Minecraft, I got in the mood to punch some more blocks. Just one teeny problem: after a minute of playing, MC crashes out with the following:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Bearing in mind, Minecraft ran just fine and dandy back when I had a pair of GeForce 670s in SLI and with driver 344.16...but now that I've installed a 970 in there, I can't keep the game open for more than a minute. Any ideas?

I should also note that I've uninstalled/reinstalled Minecraft, ran a search for this error and changed Nvidia control panel to no use Adaptive power management profiles, and other basic troubleshooting techniques that I'm familiar with.
    Does this happen / Has this ever happened in other games? Is this vanilla Minecraft or modded? Are you using shader mods? Which Java version are you running? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Java?

• Options
    edited October 2014

Does this happen / Has this ever happened in other games? Is this vanilla Minecraft or modded? Are you using shader mods? Which Java version are you running? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Java?

In order the questions are presented:

No, vanilla, no, Version 7 Update 45 (built 1.7.0_45-b18), and not yet (doing that right now).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    So what texture packs do people recommend? I have Candy Craft because it's my favorite but are there any other really neat alternate themed ones like that? I really miss the Tron one from years ago.

• Options
    Update: uninstalled and reinstalled Java (build 1.8.0_25) and now I get a generic "Java runtime has stopped responding" error after about 30 seconds.

A little more info about my system:

i7-4770K (very minor overclocked to 4.1GHz)
    16gb DDR3-1600
    both Minecraft and Java are installed on SSD drives

• Options
    Update: uninstalled and reinstalled Java (build 1.8.0_25) and now I get a generic "Java runtime has stopped responding" error after about 30 seconds.

16gb DDR3-1600

I thought you could only use 1.7 for Minecraft? That's what my problem was I think.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I've always been partial to Frenden's pack, I think he stopped updating it a while ago, but someone else picked up the slack on it. Here's a link, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/resource-packs/1243226-frendens-meringued-cartoon-pack-updated-to-1-8

Kanden on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

16gb DDR3-1600

I thought you could only use 1.7 for Minecraft? That's what my problem was I think.

Well...I rolled back to 1.7 and I'm getting the OpenGL driver crash again. I'm starting to think that I might need to rebuild my old i7-2600k system if I want to play Minecraft on a desktop...

• Options
    Java 1.8 doesn't play nice with how Minecraft's multiplayer is built, so 1.7 is the way to go.
    Could be some weird edge case with your specific configuration. It could also be an Nvidia driver thing. Did you try rolling back to a previous version?
    Try turning off vsync, mipmap, aniosotropic filtering, clouds and advanced opengl.
    Also, which version of 1.7 did you reinstall? I don't remember having problems with any specific one, but I can attest that the latest (1.7.0_71-b14) works fine.

• Options
    Java 1.8 doesn't play nice with how Minecraft's multiplayer is built, so 1.7 is the way to go.
    Could be some weird edge case with your specific configuration. It could also be an Nvidia driver thing. Did you try rolling back to a previous version?
    Try turning off vsync, mipmap, aniosotropic filtering, clouds and advanced opengl.
    Also, which version of 1.7 did you reinstall? I don't remember having problems with any specific one, but I can attest that the latest (1.7.0_71-b14) works fine.

So I did some more testing with different video settings. Turns out, setting the render distance to 32 was what was causing the crash.

And I have not tried rolling back the nvidia driver, and the Java version I now have is 1.7.0_71-b14.

• Options
    Apparently rail craft now has electric locomotives and electric rails. This is pretty awesome news. It has been a while since I have checked up on mod updates.

• Options
    I'd love alternative rail types, such as trolley lines or monorails.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    If you're blockballs are so big and blue that you cant stand it anymore, Direwolf20's 1.7 pack has been released on FTB

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    They are practically pure Lapis Lazuli at this point

#badminecraftjokes

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Shucks, now I really want to make some concrete monorail lines

• Options
    what is it with all the 1.7 mods sucking up so much ram, Jesus Christ.

I cant even play the direwolf pack.

• Options
    Default chunk distance was like 12? At least for me, which my comp wasn't liking that.

• Options
    At this point I don't want the server for another couple of weeks, my gpu died so I'm totally out if it starts soon.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    You know what was a neat idea?

The Underdark.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.