As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I kinda like the idea of like a stackable permanent 1.75% xp gain as a class reward for completing chapter 3.

Granted, that'll put you at 14% if all 8 stories are finished.

Problem with that idea is that it would be server based and not account based.

I would be OK with that being account wide. Heck, I want it to be account wide, not bound to your legacy (i.e. server).
    Side quests don't become more interesting because I'm doing them on a different server.
    The Consular story isn't better or worse depending on which server I do it on.
    I think it would be perfectly OK to have an account wide XP bost for when you've finished a class story. And/or when you've taken a AC through act 3, and another one for getting them to lvl 60.
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    I kinda like the idea of like a stackable permanent 1.75% xp gain as a class reward for completing chapter 3.

That's one hundred times less than what we had with the prelude to Shadow of Revan.

Too little to make me care, certainly.

Agreed. Though I think the idea would work if it was 100% XP bonus for each completed class story. It leaves it less then the pre-Revan bonus, but it's still more than enough to entice people to play multiple characters.

F! multiple characters.
    I want multiple characters on multiple servers. :D
    As someone who has one character of every AC on my main server, I would like to have the same on JC (and a couple of choice AC on Jung Ma). But just the thought of bringing my three 55:s on JC to 60 ... I'll wait.

• Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    They never said they were trying to reduce skill bloat. They wanted to make it easier to spec because everybody just used cookie cutter specs anyway. And made some nice passives available to everybody. Increased levels usually means one or two new abilities. (I think in 3.0 most specs get 1 new ability, maybe another one that replaces an old ability. Some classes did actually lose abilities like flyby/sab charge for Scoundrels.)

There's been a ton of bugs which shouldn't be there... these are things a closed PTS should have found too. But overall I've really enjoyed the new planets and ops so far. Haven't seen the ops in HM yet... I've heard from some those are quite a bear.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

I would be OK with that being account wide. Heck, I want it to be account wide, not bound to your legacy (i.e. server).
    Side quests don't become more interesting because I'm doing them on a different server.
    I think it would be perfectly OK to have an account wide XP bost for when you've finished a class story. And/or when you've taken a AC through act 3, and another one for getting them to lvl 60.

That's one hundred times less than what we had with the prelude to Shadow of Revan.

Agreed. Though I think the idea would work if it was 100% XP bonus for each completed class story. It leaves it less then the pre-Revan bonus, but it's still more than enough to entice people to play multiple characters.

F! multiple characters.
    As someone who has one character of every AC on my main server, I would like to have the same on JC (and a couple of choice AC on Jung Ma). But just the thought of bringing my three 55:s on JC to 60 ... I'll wait.

I'd just make Legacy be cross server, and make it per class story completed. Making it per character would get nuts for people with a lot of characters, plus it kills the double xp weekend incentive to get people into the games for a few weekends. However, if on DoubleXP weekends you double someone's 8x XP bonus to a 16x XP bonus, people are going to show up.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I thought part of their simplification was the removal of unused/unnecessary skills? Instead I was given a number of skills from different trees to add to my bars, plus the 55 skills I don't have yet plus the level 60 skills I don't have yet.... I'm a subscriber and I don't think I haven enough bar space for that...

• Options

F! multiple characters.

I'd just make Legacy be cross server, and make it per class story completed. Making it per character would get nuts for people with a lot of characters, plus it kills the double xp weekend incentive to get people into the games for a few weekends. However, if on DoubleXP weekends you double someone's 8x XP bonus to a 16x XP bonus, people are going to show up.

I meant that the bonus would be available on other servers as well, not just my "main server".
    Or simply let me press a "Level to 60" on future Consulars button after I've leveled two Consulars to 60. On any server.
    Legacy is a really cool idea.
    But I think it would benefit from being tied to an account, instead of a server.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I thought part of their simplification was the removal of unused/unnecessary skills? Instead I was given a number of skills from different trees to add to my bars, plus the 55 skills I don't have yet plus the level 60 skills I don't have yet.... I'm a subscriber and I don't think I haven enough bar space for that...

From what I've seen, any "added" skills have shared a cooldown with lesser versions of the skill, so you just remove the lesser version from your bar and only use the upgraded version.

Course I've only looked at Guardian, I guess other classes might have added some skills as well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

From what I've seen, any "added" skills have shared a cooldown with lesser versions of the skill, so you just remove the lesser version from your bar and only use the upgraded version.

Course I've only looked at Guardian, I guess other classes might have added some skills as well.

Yeah, that's how a trooper move I'm thinking of works, but why not just have that talent buff the skill it's replacing?

Are the only skills they've added replacements of existing skills?

• Options
    It's a limitation of their current technology, apparently. They mentioned it in a forum post somewhere. Pretty annoying.

There is generally one actual new skill for most specs. Cell Burst/Plasmatize for Vanguard DPS, for example.

• Options
    Yeah, just trash the old version once you get the upgrade.
    It's just there to act as a reminder of how crappy the engine that runs our favorite game is.

The content of 3.0 seem pretty great so far.
    The actual roll-out ... Horrible in every aspect.

• Options
    I've only been able to attend two boss fights in the new operations, but I like what I saw.
    My suggestion to anyone who's going in would be to check Dulfy for the mechanics, and ignore the tactics.
    Do what fits your team, and don't think of those guides as a blueprint for success.

• Options
    I enjoyed what I've played in 3.0 (haven't done the final Op yet). I only wish that the Class Stories were really expanded upon, but it seems to set things up nicely for the next stage of the game. My big hope is that one day we get a real expansion to the game in a full chapter style of class, planet, and side quests rather than these DLC adventures they've been giving so far.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

Yeah, that's how a trooper move I'm thinking of works, but why not just have that talent buff the skill it's replacing?

Are the only skills they've added replacements of existing skills?

Pretty much every class gets one of these in at least one of their specs. Sometimes two. It's a superior version of an existing, mainstay ability with a new animation. The animation is what keeps them from just buffing the old skill apparently. According to BW "we lack the engineering technology" to change the animation on old skills as you respec. Read: "we don't want to pay anybody to make this not stupid."

Like Shadows have literally no use for Telekinetic Throw after level 58. The only spec that uses it is the tank spec, where it gets replaced by Project Storm, which is definitely a cooler looking ability. But it's still dumb execution.

And the "we're trying to reduce skill bloat" thing was from 2.0 when they removed everybody's skills that could only be used on stunned targets. That was one step forward; 3.0 was three steps back. It's obscene how many skills my Commando has now; in comparison my Knights have big gaping holes in their skill bars because there's just nothing that needs to go there, meanwhile the Commando is choking on 3+ skill bars.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Also the Commando Boltstorm ability that replaces Full Auto in Gunnery is a hilariously awful animation. It looks like you're shooting a fucking swarm of bees that all spread out and home in on the enemy.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So I left this game shortly after I hit 50 on my Jedi, Ilum was borked, and I didn't have the patience to gear up for Raiding. How is the end game now, would I still have to jump through the gear hoops to get me to the point where I am not a total waste in dungeons/raids? Is there stuff to do outside of being a Raid bitch?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Also the Commando Boltstorm ability that replaces Full Auto in Gunnery is a hilariously awful animation. It looks like you're shooting a fucking swarm of bees that all spread out and home in on the enemy.

You're just not looking at it right.

It looks like a shmup powerup.

(Because if you think about it, it is.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If you do operations through the group finder, then you are bolstered, so gear isn't really a problem. You might want a main hand weapon, and something for your offhand, since some of your skills require them, but other than that ... just level up to 55/60 and you should have enough Basic comms to buy the gear needed to basic stuf outside of the Group Finder.

Doing ops through the Group Finder gives you ~40 Elite comms and ~30 Ultimate comms. Which are used to buy gear for Hard Mode and Nightmare Mode operations respectively.
    You know, if you wanna be over geared ... or take on HM/NiM. :)

As for What To Do To Level Up, here are my basic tips (anything Ilum related is purely for story).

As for non-op content,
    That's what I love about the game, the many different things to do.
    Bored with Ops? Try some Flash Points.
    Fed up with people in Flash Points? Try the [Solo] Flash Points.
    Done enough FP? How about some PvP?
    Need to rage quite from PvP? Have you tried PvP in Space?!?
    Or just kick back, relax and do some on-rails space missions.
    Go hunting for datacrons.
    ... or World Bosses.
    Have you tried the Sith Warrior?
    The Agent?
    ... for starters.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    OMG

There is so much stuff to do. I finished Ilum, the non-group part, last night. Where do I go now? I started Makeb, but theres Dailies, and a bunch of other stuff and no real direction on where to go.

(Yes, I know you said you did part of Ilum, making this a general sugestions list :))

I'd say
    1) finish Act 3 of your class story
    2) go to Ilum and do that story arc until you get to the Flash Points
    (3) do Makeb until you reach level 53 (remember to get bolstered if you want Makeb to go faster)
    4) solo the Ilum Flash Points (they don't have a Solo Mode, but should be solo:able by level 53)
    (5) continue Makeb until you reach level 55
    6) as soon as you hit lvl 55, go to your ship and find the (new) mission terminal for Shadow of Revan, and pick up that story arc
    7) Finish the Forged Alliance story
    8) When the SoR mission terminal on your ship sends you to Rishi ... Enjoy! :)

You can do some Makeb once you hit lvl 47 for some quick leveling (remember to use the Makeb bolstering), but the opening cinematic (as well as some conversations on Makeb) will spoil the end of your Class Story (Act III) as well as some of what happens on Ilum, that's why I put Makeb after Ilum.

But I'm already level 55. :O

Does that mean my Sniper can solo the Ilum flashpoints?

The Story Mode ones? Yeah, but bring gear and a companion.

Well I can't solo them. The 2nd boss in The Battle of Ilum, kicked my ass. And I am too high level for group finder. :(

Sorry for the late reply,
    Is that the two guys (+turrets) in front of a force barrier?

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Okay, dumb question time. I barely got all 8 classes to 50/end of chapter 3 and didn't have time to get anyone through makeb. I like IA best so I've been trying to get him to 55 so I can start on the new stuff. I finished the makeb storyline at 53. I have some weird binocs/robot scanning quests to do, but I doubt those will get me all the way to 55. Is there a questline I missed that can make up that difference? Or is here when I'm supposed to start learning FPs/pvp/starfighter to get me to 55? Also, what's the best way to get into healing at this level? I pick things up quick, but I want to do something that won't screw other people over the first few times due to my noob healing.

• Options
    Solo Flashpoints?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Okay, dumb question time. I barely got all 8 classes to 50/end of chapter 3 and didn't have time to get anyone through makeb. I like IA best so I've been trying to get him to 55 so I can start on the new stuff. I finished the makeb storyline at 53. I have some weird binocs/robot scanning quests to do, but I doubt those will get me all the way to 55. Is there a questline I missed that can make up that difference? Or is here when I'm supposed to start learning FPs/pvp/starfighter to get me to 55? Also, what's the best way to get into healing at this level? I pick things up quick, but I want to do something that won't screw other people over the first few times due to my noob healing.

IA healing? Start with two stacks of your spammable HoT, and go from there. During the heavier stuff you want to keep all three of your HoTs up as much as possible, and save your instant cast for oh shit moments.

That's more or less how I did it anyway when I was heal spec.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

FPs/pvp/starfighter offer OK XP. You could also do Makeb dailies.
    But what you probably should be doing is go visit some guy on fleet to get started on the Oricon story arc. I think he's at the northen moost part of the trade quardant (between the elevator and the GTN). I could be very wrong.

Once you're 'done' with Oricon, go look for the droid in front of the western elevator (between the mission quadrant, and the Trade one) on fleet.
    It's the droid with something like "Story: Forged Alliance" above it.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Solo Flashpoints?

Coming with 3.0
    I don't know the specifics, but at least the two new ones on Rishi have a [Solo] mode.
    Of the old ones, the ones belonging to the Forged Alliance arc have a [Solo] mode.

You (and your companion?) bolster to level 60, team up with a level 60 support droid, who can dps/tank/heal and get knocked of platforms (thus resetting the fight). And then you slay them all.
    What it's like to fight lvl 55 enemies in a FP when you're bolstered to lvl 60, you ask? ... Do you remember Order 66 and the jedi kids?

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    well redownloading the game, what server were we on again

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    from the OP
    The PA guilds at launch were on Shadowlands, <Rigorous Scholarship> for Republic, <Remarkable Circumference> for Imperial, however these guilds are mostly inactive. Ask in thread for specifics on an invite.

For either Jedi Covenant or Shadowlands server, type /cjoin Penny Arcade to chat with other PA folks (not available to free to play, sadly)

If you want a European server, for what ever reason, pick The Red Eclipse (English, PvE).

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

FPs/pvp/starfighter offer OK XP. You could also do Makeb dailies.
    But what you probably should be doing is go visit some guy on fleet to get started on the Oricon story arc. I think he's at the northen moost part of the trade quardant (between the elevator and the GTN). I could be very wrong.

Once you're 'done' with Oricon, go look for the droid in front of the western elevator (between the mission quadrant, and the Trade one) on fleet.
    It's the droid with something like "Story: Forged Alliance" above it.

That's what I was looking for, thx! Will check out Oricon. And maybe illum. Skipped that one entirely.

• Options
    Ilum is probably mandatory for anyone who likes Malgus (or at least finds him interesting).
    People without a soul can skip Ilum entirely.

• Options
    I keep trying to get myself to go through the Ilum story but at like 10ish 50+s and I still haven't completed it...

I've never finished Republic Makeb either.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Imperial Makeb > Republic Makeb.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    This descendents heirloom lightsaber is pretty damn cool...giant and gaudy but that suits a sith sorc just fine imo.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    OMG

There is so much stuff to do. I finished Ilum, the non-group part, last night. Where do I go now? I started Makeb, but theres Dailies, and a bunch of other stuff and no real direction on where to go.

(Yes, I know you said you did part of Ilum, making this a general sugestions list :))

I'd say
    1) finish Act 3 of your class story
    2) go to Ilum and do that story arc until you get to the Flash Points
    (3) do Makeb until you reach level 53 (remember to get bolstered if you want Makeb to go faster)
    4) solo the Ilum Flash Points (they don't have a Solo Mode, but should be solo:able by level 53)
    (5) continue Makeb until you reach level 55
    6) as soon as you hit lvl 55, go to your ship and find the (new) mission terminal for Shadow of Revan, and pick up that story arc
    7) Finish the Forged Alliance story
    8) When the SoR mission terminal on your ship sends you to Rishi ... Enjoy! :)

You can do some Makeb once you hit lvl 47 for some quick leveling (remember to use the Makeb bolstering), but the opening cinematic (as well as some conversations on Makeb) will spoil the end of your Class Story (Act III) as well as some of what happens on Ilum, that's why I put Makeb after Ilum.

But I'm already level 55. :O

Does that mean my Sniper can solo the Ilum flashpoints?

The Story Mode ones? Yeah, but bring gear and a companion.

Well I can't solo them. The 2nd boss in The Battle of Ilum, kicked my ass. And I am too high level for group finder. :(

Sorry for the late reply,
    Is that the two guys (+turrets) in front of a force barrier?

Yep!

So I think I am going to try to get a group for the Ilum thing tonight after I do the Bounty thing. I will post up in here the time.

Character name is: Alyyx.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Whoa, whoa whoa.

The new content has someone other than Jennifer Hale doing Satele Shan? This is some bullshit.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Wait, what? Are you sure? Somebody posted a screenshot of SoR credits and it looks like it's still Jen Hale. Otherwise, yeah, that is total bullshit.

• Options
    Her voice sounds way different. Like someone "doing" Jennifer Hale as Satele Shan. I dunno, maybe she just forgot how the voice sounds? But Hale is really consistent so I find that hard to believe.

• Options
    Her voice sounds way different. Like someone "doing" Jennifer Hale as Satele Shan. I dunno, maybe she just forgot how the voice sounds? But Hale is really consistent so I find that hard to believe.

I didn't notice anything different about her voice in the cutscenes she was in, but I've only played through with my Sith, so she hasn't had many lines.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Hmm preferred status is kinda bunk, might just resub again for awhile.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Playing my trooper through Coruscant right now, the Republic's stance on the death penalty seems to be whenever General Garza feels like it.
    Seriously Garza, some random dude says he's implanted these people with undetectable cyborg parts, so our only solution is to kill the lot of them? Not say, put them under armed guard until you can figure out what happened?

Catching up on this thread, but Trooper
    LS/DS is great for this EXACT REASON.

The Trooper story nearly completly ignores the LS/DS system, and instead functions as an actual Military Force.

If everyone in the room can be a cyborg deathbomb that's undetectable and you have proof they exist, then a hardass C/O who happens to be basically the Republic CIA with huge guns, would be "YEP KILL EM ALL."

And Garza is TOTALLY that hardass. She gets paid to make decisions, not discuss your "feelings"

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I have noticed the occasional voice issues in the expansion content. e.g., The Sith Warrior in the macrobinocular and seeker droid questlines sounds like he has a head cold (which the actor might have had on the day, I don't know); Grey DeLisle's performance as the female Bounty Hunter during the final confrontation in Shadow of Revan sounds a bit off; the male Jedi Knight almost shows some emotion; etc.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone completed the Sith Warrior class-mission on Rishi yet?
    Man, I had such a bad feeling when I came back to turn in the mission and there was Servant One instead of Vowrawn, especially when I heard Vowrawn actually found one of the Hand members and interrogated him. I felt so much better when I found out Vowrawn had left before S-1 got to the safehouse. And naturally I lied about seeing him. Still, it's definitely not a good sign that the Emperor's got Force-made droids watching me and their talk about the ritual even less so. Methinks I may be losing my current job as the Wraith shortly after he comes back.

• Options

She doesn't sound too different to me, but I swear that's definitely not Jeff Bennett doing Revan again.

• Options
    Also I don't know how it's going on other servers but on Shadowlands, as soon as a Yavin/Rishi instance hits more than 15 people it starts to lag horribly.

At 20 it's a slideshow.

So switch instances as soon as you can when that happens.