Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Finally made lots of progress in Dark Souls 2 after being super busy with my last term of college.

Progress spoilers:
    - Started after the Ruins fight in The Last Bastile.
    - Killed both dragonslayers in Heide's tower of flame. First one was easy, second one I had help for.
    - Went to No Man's Warf, cleared the shit out of that area. Had my first real WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING with those demons afraid of light that make you bleed.
    - Bought the falling ring from the cool as shit talking cat in Majula, then fell down the well to get Pharro's stone and bonfire to Grave of Saints.
    - Traveled back to The Last Bastile and used the lock Pharro's stone to open up Bellfrey Luna.
    - Got invaded IMMEDIATELY by two people after stepping into that area and died.
    - Went back with a friend and beat that shit, killed the gargoyles.
    - Died at least 6 times trying to kill that ambush of dogs and the red phantom to get the Bastile Key.
    - Traveled back to The Last Bastile and fought through into Sinner's Rise.
    - Beat Sinner's Rise as it's really small, used the key to open the two side entrances before the fight and light the oils
    - Killed The Lost Sinner. Who was surprisingly easy. I guess because I was able to see him? I dunno
    - Traveled back to Majula, leveled all my shit, went to Huntsman's Corpse. Logged out there.

I think I went from like 45 to 60-something, got 3+ estus and leveled up my weapons pretty far. Burning through it, but loving it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Welp.

So I decided to fire up The Longest Journey to try it, since I had a couple free hours.

Turns out the videos don't work for some reason, apparently. Fucking hell.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    To The Moon's music is just too damn loud. That'll all I've really gotten out of it, just started it and only 2 minutes in.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Drascin wrote: »
    Welp.

So I decided to fire up The Longest Journey to try it, since I had a couple free hours.

@Drascin‌

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2823234

Also I wrote something a while back about how to get TLJ to run fullscreen with AA on. Might be worth trying to get that to work.
    Before doing anything you should generate the preferences.ini file.
    Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\the longest journey\
    Run configure.exe and change one option. (doesn't matter which) Run it again and change the option back to default.

This should have generated the preferences file in C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\The Longest Journey

Mine looks like this:

[Preferences]
    AudioDevice=autodetect
    SfxVolume=1.000000
    VoiceVolume=1.000000
    MusicVolume=1.000000
    bool_Subtitles=1
    bool_AprilHighRes=1
    bool_ShadowsOn=1
    bool_AllowFastForward=0
    [DirectX]
    GfxDriver=display
    int_BitDepth=32
    bool_IsDoubleBuffer=0
    bool_UseHardware=1
    bool_StartFullscreen=1
    bool_ForceSingleBuffer=1

Note: If you have any issues with graphics you might want to try changing "bool_UseHardware=1" to "bool_UseHardware=0" so the game runs in software mode. However this does mean you can't use Anti-aliasing (AA)

You can if all fails play the game in windowed mode by changing "bool_StartFullscreen=1" to "bool_StartFullscreen=0" but this has the unfortunate effect of producing a 640x480 window in the upper left corner of your screen and it can't really be resized. Playable but tiny.

If you have a monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio you are more or less set and if you have a wide-screen monitor or something you need to mess around a bit to avoid the game looking stretched.

You will have to change the resolution of your monitor while playing the game for this to work.

Pick a 4:3 resolution (I found it best to pick something that has a similar height to your default resolution. My default resolution is 1920 x 1200 so I used 1600 x 1200 )
    1024 768
    1152 864
    1280 960
    1400 1050
    1600 1200

Go to your graphic card control center and find a GPU scaling option. (No idea where it is located for Nvidia cards but this image shows where it should be for ATI users)

Ccy13s9.png

You should pick the maintain aspect ratio option since the game doesn't seem to want to run fullscreen otherwise.

You should also try and see if the game runs right in fullscreen now. (I certainly hope so after all that trouble)

Now since the game is scaled up from its default 640x480 resolution you will get some jaggies so you might want to turn on AA for the game. (this MIGHT mess with some pixel hunting in the game or NPC positions but hopefully it will not.)

Find game.exe in the same folder you found the configure.exe and use your graphic card control center to override the game defaults. Should work more or less the same for Nvidia cards. Use the below options.

kEx3MIh.png

Isorn on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Indie Gala are giving away Afterfall Insanity

I have no idea if the game is any good but the bear in their banner is pretty cool

banner-giveaway.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Welp.

@Drascin‌

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2823234
    [/spoiler]

That worked. Makes the mouse sometimes run right off the screen, but makes the game work. Thanks!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    i am tempted to order Watch Dogs despite having an i3, just to definitively know if those requirements are genuine. And it looks kinda fun. Same with Wolfenstein. But then I think about the risk and I'm like play it safe and get it on the PS4. Then I remember all the bills still due and kick the cat.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @Viking knows well my love of the grim and the dark and the shooty, and has hit me upside the class with a copy of Warhammer 40K: Kill Team. I played the Assault Veteran and his special move does not disappoint. He skims around at super speed and chops up Orks then he asplodes for the glory of tha emprah! Lots of stuff explodes, really. It's a good thing. Also these are the guys who have made the outstanding PC conversion of Talisman. The only downside to Kill Team so far is no online coop. Not like that's going to stop me from slaughtering piles of Orks.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein requirements are overblown. I have an i5 and it runs really well. Only one graphics settings I can't turn up all the way and I'd wager that's more my GFX card than the processor. So there's hope for your i3.

• Options
    Kill Team was one of those "I'd probably get that if I ever bought a 360" games for me. But jesus that was a delayed port. I'll probably give it a spin on sale though.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    i am tempted to order Watch Dogs despite having an i3, just to definitively know if those requirements are genuine. And it looks kinda fun. Same with Wolfenstein. But then I think about the risk and I'm like play it safe and get it on the PS4. Then I remember all the bills still due and kick the cat.

I'll let you know how Watch Dogs runs (or not) on my antique E8400... ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Dyvim Tvar is a monster, I wasn't even a part of this hip hopocalypse and he still hits me with Anti-Squad. Thank you, your class.. is your steam name really Buck Sexington. Goddamnit Dyvim.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Ok, so I finally bought a new power supply and an R7 260 and can now be a steambro! Well, more of one since there are a few games I could play.

So anyways, based on the current sales, is Dawn of War II a good pickup for someone who enjoys the idea of RTS and knows the bare minimum about the lore? It looks cool. Not sure if I should get that, Space Marine or Kill Team. Or Space Hulk heh.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Ok, so I finally bought a new power supply and an R7 260 and can now be a steambro! Well, more of one since there are a few games I could play.

So anyways, based on the current sales, is Dawn of War II a good pickup for someone who enjoys the idea of RTS and knows the bare minimum about the lore? It looks cool. Not sure if I should get that, Space Marine or Kill Team. Or Space Hulk heh.

From an epic RTS point of view, Dawn of War. From a squad based, but still frantic TS point of view, DoW 2 (it has a better single player campaign mode too, or so I think, with some selection/variety of mission objectives and resources).

For a pure squad-based, turn based tactical game, Space Hulk.

Space Marine is a fun, stompy, explodey, bloody, cheesey FPS with solid melee elements and a ridonkulous plot.

I genuinely have no idea what Kill Team is - @Drake?

So if you're looking for an RTS, DoW or DoW2 are probably the best choices, choosing between them being a matter of how wide a view you like to take on the battlefield

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Kill Team is a Twin Stick Shooter you can play coop.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Kill Team is OK; it's no Space Marine or Dawn of War II. I played through it on the 360, and I don't really have the urge to play through it again on PC. There are definitely better story-based twin stick shooters out there (Renegade Ops!).

It's a shame we never got Geometry Wars 2 on PC.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I really like DOW2. It's a great RTS for someone like me that can't really keep track of all the stuff that goes on in a normal RTS. The smaller, squad based scope of the game is great. I haven't finished it yet, but it's really fun. I knew nothing of the lore and still found it really enjoyable.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Thanks LL, that's a perfect example for me. DoWII it is!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Seriously @Lindsay Lohan that does make DoWII sound like something I want to play. I used to love RTS games but I just don't have the time to learn all the things you need to take care of all over the map. Having a focused squad sounds pretty neat. I might pick it up just on your recommendation.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Yeah, Dawn of War II was friggin great. Be warned that it currently uses GFWL, but it looks like Steam achievements have recently appeared so it sounds like they're preparing to move to Steamworks.

If you have friends with the game, be aware you can play through it in co-op. With two players, you only have to directly control two dudes!

• Options
    Does it use GFWL for even the single player? Does it allow offline playing or would I be buying a future digital brick once GFWL goes away and if they don't move it over to Steam/Other?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly the offline allows single player.

Also considering Retribution runs on Steamworks it might be patched? I'm not sure whose in control of it right now though.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ugh I was saving up steam wallet bucks for a big sale but then Witcher 2 was 4 bucks and both walking dead seasons were on sale.

• Options
    Last questions then. What's the difference between DoW2, Chaos Rising, Retribution? Is one head and shoulders above the others or should I get the cheapest to get my feet wet?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    If I remember correctly the offline allows single player.

Also considering Retribution runs on Steamworks it might be patched? I'm not sure whose in control of it right now though.

Retribution was the first game to get released with Steamworks instead of GFWL. I loaded up DoW2 just now and it definitely still uses GFWL, but it definitely seems like they'll be patching it out. The devs made a post on the Steam forums two days ago simply stating that "News is coming."

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, Dawn of War II was friggin great. Be warned that it currently uses GFWL, but it looks like Steam achievements have recently appeared so it sounds like they're preparing to move to Steamworks.

If you have friends with the game, be aware you can play through it in co-op. With two players, you only have to directly control two dudes!

Speaking of, I ran across this post just yesterday...

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Grrrr...I still can't play GFWL games because I accidentally deleted my Microsoft passport account or whateverthefuck they're calling it now. Offline profile won't work either because I still need to log in. It's the dumbest shit. My Xbox/GFWL gamertag is still intact, as are all my purchases, but without the login account I can't do anything and it's been two months with a new e-mail every week telling me they're "working on it."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Pid for free (you need a Facebook account):
    http://woobox.com/wy25rw

• Options
    Last questions then. What's the difference between DoW2, Chaos Rising, Retribution? Is one head and shoulders above the others or should I get the cheapest to get my feet wet?

Storywise, Dawn of War 2 is first. Chaos Rising is its expansion. Retribution is last. I've actually only played through the campaign of the original game, but you probably want to start with that one.

I also just noticed that on the store page for both DoW2 and Chaos Rising that if you scroll down there's a message that SteamWorks is coming soon and that "We are currently working on updating this title to be fully SteamWorks compatible - once complete this update will be made available, for free, to all owners"

• Options
    Toast hit me up with some Fearless Fantasy. Gracias!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Does Banner Saga have really long load times or should I verify my files or something?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Go go PS4 and be my Watch Dog friend.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    While I wouldn't buy at a 50% discount, has anyone played Democracy 3 to know if it's worth grabbing when it goes cheaper? It sounds really interesting.

As a side note we ordered a copy of the first Rocksmith game for my son since his guitar teacher goes to college in the fall (I may buy 2014 during Summer Dale if he plays it a lot). Waiting for a game to be shipped and arrive physically for the computer seems like almost a foreign concept at this point!

Now if someone could find a way to Steam gift me +3 hours in every day I could actually get to some of my backlog...

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I've been gifted Killer is Dead from " . . . " As it it were from some kind of ghost, or toast.
    Thanks

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Just a heads up for anyone considering picking up the weekend deal; the Dawn of War 1 games all seem to be currently broken for a lot of players. Something about a patch to remove Gamespy from their multiplayer that's gone horribly wrong.

• Options
    So they were using Gamespy and GFWL? Yikes. I think I'm going to hold off until it's $5 and maybe some of this stuff is resolved. Definitely going to keep an eye on it though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    So they were using Gamespy and GFWL? Yikes. I think I'm going to hold off until it's $5 and maybe some of this stuff is resolved. Definitely going to keep an eye on it though.

DoW 1 was using Gamespy, DoWII and Chaos Rising use GFWL.

On the DoWII side, I would bet the multiplayer communities for them are pretty dead anyways, since most people moved towards Retribution (Steamworks.)

On DoW, the first one and Dark Crusade are the most compelling.

Mainly because of Sindri.

Always because of Sindri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyUhkttfe8

EDIT: On the other hand... they're brutally expensive right now. They've seen far better deals.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    First of all, what the fuck people? Just read the last 100 or so posts, since when were giftwars waged so openly and without provocation? And without a sale? I mean, yeah, occasionally Handgimp or Bizy get drunk or sleep-deprived, but this shit right here? Prolly due to global warming.

Second, Steam has ruined me for games. RUINED. I finally got my Vita, need to move my violent gaming to something portable since evenings are Mrs. Dirk time and I can't play much outside LEGO and Rayman while the kiddo's awake. Vita works perfect for on the couch/toilet gaming, as well as commuting and while at work. But, in the week I've had it, I realized something. PSN does NOT have a daily game on sale. There's no annual sales to look forward to. Am I to buy games at full price? Sit around like a chump for months waiting for a sale that may not come? It's as if I were once gifted the power of the gods, and my godpower membership has been revoked. I am become mortal, hear me weep...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I think for the Vita (I don't have one so I haven't really payed attention to whether or not the games are any good) but you get a PS+ account and just get all the free games that come out each month. Heck you can even add the PS3 and PS4 ones to your account so if you ever get either of those, you already have an extensive backlog.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Yes, I finally get to play Killer is Dead! :D

*looks back at backlog*

:'(

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
This discussion has been closed.