Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Wait p5 is on PS3? I was gonna use it as a think veiled excuse to upgrade to a 4

It will look and play better on a PS4.

Excuse validated!

It looks almost like Catharine, so this hasn't been proven yet.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    Wait p5 is on PS3? I was gonna use it as a think veiled excuse to upgrade to a 4

It will look and play better on a PS4.

Excuse validated!

It will? How do you know this?

4 > 3?

That is a good point, though: it's not impossible for the PS3 version to come out as good as (or even better than) the PS4 version. On the other hand, if you're that close to purchasing a new system, you're probably willing to buy the excuse regardless of its validity.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Well, load times are pretty much universally lower on multiplatform games that cross into this gen. So, there's that.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Well, load times are pretty much universally lower on multiplatform games that cross into this gen. So, there's that.

This doesn't mean it will play better, though. If there are framerate issues on the PS3 or something that's one thing, but I don't think we have any idea how it will look and/or play on either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Fair enough, but I wasn't trying to make some empirical claim.

Anyway, now that you can suspend your games on the PS4 at any time (just like on the Vita), as well as being Remote Play compatible, it pretty much is objectively going to be the better system to play it on. Along with any other JRPGs.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I don't think this is what anyone from EITHER camp wanted, but SMTxFE is back, and rebranded(more like put through a trope blender).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKaHMqkjGS8

Genei Ibunroku FE, or something. It sure isn't SMT anymore. It's barely FE.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It basically looks like the Cross Edge or Project X Zone of SMT/FE. Plenty of cameos from the respective properties but otherwise nothing to do with any of the properties the characters come from.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I don't care if it looks barely like either series... I want that game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I had no expectations for what SMTxFE would be like, but I kinda like the look of this.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I seriously thought it was an Ar Tonelico game. Anime girls not wearing pants.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Can't say I'm super into it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    This probably sold me on a WiiU. 1:20ish looks really neat.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The CONCEPT seems neat. The trope-a-thon I could do without. At least they took SMT off the title.

If this was more serious in tone, with Kaneko style characters, my hype would be through the roof, but that's not what we're getting.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I like it.

I kinda prefer them using all new characters. FE Awakening already was pretty much a giant crossover game.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I like it.

I kinda prefer them using all new characters. FE Awakening already was pretty much a giant crossover game.

Joke's on you. Tiki's about the only Fire Emblem character I actually noticed in that trailer. And I'm reasonably sure she's the character who's been in the most Fire Emblems so far. Except for Anna.

• Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    I had a very negative initial reaction to this. I love FE and SMT, and that didn't look like what I wanted. But looking at the trailer again, I see a fucked up Tokyo? in there so maybe there's a chance it's still SMT. It still looks like one of those games where you rub the screen to make the girls clothes fall off or whatever but ehhh, the battle sections were okay looking. Lowered expectation now, but still interested.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    I like it.

Joke's on you. Tiki's about the only Fire Emblem character I actually noticed in that trailer. And I'm reasonably sure she's the character who's been in the most Fire Emblems so far. Except for Anna.

Oh really, Tiki was in there? I gotta watch it again. There was so much going on in that trailer it was hard to notice it all.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if more familiar characters showed up in some way. Maybe through amiibo or DLC or whatever.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Maybe add some characters from the new FE.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    It honestly seems more like a Persona game.

I'm okay with that!

• Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    The main conflict might be something other than YHVH And Lucifer's Great Big War spilling over into this game, but if something apocalyptic doesn't happen and all your pals don't end up picking the Wrong Sides, I'm going to be very surprised.

• Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    I hope you can change into Mara Knight.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    OK well I am CLEARLY posting in the wrong thread.

It's close, but still the wrong one.

To make this post more relevant... I am no longer interested in SMT x FE. To be fair, I wasn't much interested in the first place.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The CONCEPT seems neat. The trope-a-thon I could do without. At least they took SMT off the title.

Well, that's the hazard you run with JRPGs. The developers are catering to the Japanese audience who eat up the anime tropes with a gilded spoon and then ask for seconds - you and I as a westerner only factor in as far as whether they think it's worth localizing.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Well, that's the hazard you run with JRPGs. The developers are catering to the Japanese audience who eat up the anime tropes with a gilded spoon and then ask for seconds - you and I as a westerner only factor in as far as whether they think it's worth localizing.

Sadly, they came to the logical conclusion that this is what will sell, not COMPs and Devil Summoners.

Thanks, Idea Factory.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I laughed.
    CBi5-v4WMAEWXnT.png

Especially at this.
    http://eirikrjs.tumblr.com/post/111896792972/with-shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem-all-but
    With Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem all but canned—likely because Fire Emblem proved to be just a tad too…”marketable,” let’s say, for the likes of Shin Megami Tensei—that doesn’t mean SMT fans should lose all hope for a quality crossover title. Indeed, there are a host of evergreen, license-fee-minimal syndicated franchises just begging for modern relevancy. Just look at the possibilities:

Shin Megami Tensei X Roseanne. PITCH: Roseanne wakes up from a dream where she rules as Queen of Demons…only to find the dream is real.
    Shin Megami Tensei X All in the Family: PITCH: Archie Bunker’s bigoted ways land him in hot water…in the mouth of Abaddon.
    Shin Megami Tensei X Magnum, P.I. PITCH: When Thomas Magnum receives a strange wrist computer from his benefactor Robin Masters, he subsequently finds Higgins’ throat shredded by claw marks…and the Hawaiian islands in supernatural upheaval.
    Shin Megami Tensei X ALF. PITCH: After discovering a mysterious email on Willie’s computer, ALF accidentally triggers a portal to a demonic dimension…replete with divinely appetizing felines.
    Shin Megami Tensei X The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. PITCH: Carlton Banks makes a Faustian deal to attend an Ivy League university…at the cost of becoming the vessel of Chaos.

tumblr_nk7hbieZL61rm3a56o3_r1_400.pngtumblr_nk7hbieZL61rm3a56o8_400.jpg
    tumblr_nk7hbieZL61rm3a56o4_400.pngtumblr_nk7hbieZL61rm3a56o9_400.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    It keeps getting better.

tumblr_nm5ljxZBJF1s5qr4oo1_1280.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hahaha, I just noticed, is that Samael on top of that building in the top right of the FE x Fresh Prince one?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

This game (and Xenoblade Chronicles X) probably wouldn't even have been considered for localization if the Wii U wasn't suffering from a software drought that's plagued the console since it's inception.

In a way, it makes me grateful that third parties abandoned the Wii U early on, because I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff and would have hated missing out on it.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Hahaha, I just noticed, is that Samael on top of that building in the top right of the FE x Fresh Prince one?

I think it's Belial.

Good catch, though!

Also, uh, I wrote a thing out of boredom.

In case you're wondering how I envision SMTxFE.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    It looks like the characters are summoning the weapons/armor of the different FE classes to fight as in a ruined tokyo.

I'm not against that idea... but I would like royalties from that short story I did with the concept in 7th grade!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    That's because we misinterpreted the title. It was FE x SMT, but really that meant FE ex SMT or FE but not SMT anymore.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    But the reality is, there's a guy on a train, a nightclub, and dancing. You don't get more SMT than that nowadays.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I like to think of the reaction to this game in branching path form.

Starting point: Oh, it isn't what I expected.

Path A: Oh wow, that actually looks really cool and interesting.
    Path B: This is just the absolute worst.
    Path C: Eh, wait and see.
    Path D: I am going to draw hentai of all the characters.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    That is just hilarious.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    The D option exists for every game reveal, ever.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I find it funny that the reveal trailer for the new Fire Emblem made me go "Oh man, this is Fire Emblem x SMT isn't it!?!"

While the trailer for this had me going "what the hell am I watching"

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    But the reality is, there's a guy on a train, a nightclub, and dancing. You don't get more SMT than that nowadays.

Don't forget the part where you kill God - who's incidentally also more of a dick than Mara.

• Options

I think it's Belial.

Good catch, though!

Also, uh, I wrote a thing out of boredom.

In case you're wondering how I envision SMTxFE.

Hmmm...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110611102937/megamitensei/images/5/59/Samael.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080803195945/megamitensei/images/f/f0/BelialSMT.jpg

You might be right. If I knew how to do fancy computer things I would enlarge the photo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I don't think this is what anyone from EITHER camp wanted, but SMTxFE is back, and rebranded(more like put through a trope blender).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKaHMqkjGS8

Genei Ibunroku FE, or something. It sure isn't SMT anymore. It's barely FE.

Ugh.......

SO hey, about that Persona 5!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/01/devil-survivor-producer-hack-artist-working-shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem/
    In addition to revealing a trailer for Shin Megami X Fire Emblem or Illusionary Revelations#FE as it is called in Japan, Nintendo announced some of the development staff behind the Wii U game.

Shinji Takeda, producer of the Devil Survivor series, is the producer behind Illusionary Revelations#FE. The game is being developed internally at Atlus with the theme of modern Japan with characters that grow from various concerns and troubles in a RPG. While the game takes place in the real world there is a secret fantasy world that exists in parallel with characters from the Fire Emblem series.

toi8 who worked as a character designer on .hack//The Movie and a movie for the popular Chain Chronicle series is the character designer for Illusionary Revelations#FE.

This explains so much. It's not actually a SMT game. The person making it only worked on a SMT spinoff. The character designer's latest work is a mobile game.

And it sounds like the game is just Sword Art Online but with a few FE cameos and references and maybe a demon or two to fight.

uyvfOQy.png