Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/01/devil-survivor-producer-hack-artist-working-shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem/
    In addition to revealing a trailer for Shin Megami X Fire Emblem or Illusionary Revelations#FE as it is called in Japan, Nintendo announced some of the development staff behind the Wii U game.

Shinji Takeda, producer of the Devil Survivor series, is the producer behind Illusionary Revelations#FE. The game is being developed internally at Atlus with the theme of modern Japan with characters that grow from various concerns and troubles in a RPG. While the game takes place in the real world there is a secret fantasy world that exists in parallel with characters from the Fire Emblem series.

toi8 who worked as a character designer on .hack//The Movie and a movie for the popular Chain Chronicle series is the character designer for Illusionary Revelations#FE.

This explains so much. It's not actually a SMT game. The person making it only worked on a SMT spinoff. The character designer's latest work is a mobile game.

And it sounds like the game is just Sword Art Online but with a few FE cameos and references and maybe a demon or two to fight.

To be fair, Devil Survivor is fantastic, so it has that going for it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I liked the first one, probably my favorite SMT thing so far. The second was a huge disappointment, but hopefully the remake will be better...whenever it goes on sale.

It's definitely not the first thing you'd think of for SMT. However, it does look a hell of a lot like that trailer.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm too slow to pick up on the alleged huge amount of cameos in that trailer.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I vastly prefer Devil Survivor over the regular SMT games, so I'm more than okay with this.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    Man, I only saw like three of those. Trailers are blurs to me.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    There are a few more I think, but I'm not sure where they are.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I honestly don't know how you all got anything out of that trailer. All I see are colors moving quickly. And anime. Such anime!

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yup, seems to be a gameplay trailer without gameplay to me.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I made a thing

SNiBPwd.jpg

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Wow, never mind what I said... think I was looking at the wrong thread. Carry on.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I got Shin Megami Tensei IV way back when they did that promotion with Fire Emblem, and have only just now started getting in to it. I have no experience with either SMT or Persona games, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I have a few quick questions.

Is there a certain alignment I should be aiming for on my first go? I've seen people recommend going bad ending>chaos>law>neutral to mark off all four paths on your save file and because some stuff/bosses/demons are only accessible on some New Game+ paths. I enjoy doing completionist stuff, but I don't know if I'm going to be interested in playing this thing all the way through four separate times, and I'd hate to waste my first (and possibly only) play through on the bad ending. I thought about trying neutral, as it sounded like it has the most content and would make the best only run, but I don't know that I really want to have a FAQ open while I play to navigate the tricky alignment system and land in neutral. It seems like it might spoil the fun of the first run.

The rest of the stuff (demon fusioning, skill builds, etc.) I assume I can figure out along the way, but I'd hate to goof the whole playthrough out of ignorance. Or am I overthinking it?

Any suggestions?

Endaro on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    If you don't want to play with a FAQ open to aim for a specific ending, then I just suggest answering the way you normally would and see what happens. If you're only going for one playthough, it should be as natural as possible, I think.

The Bad Ending in SMT IV is pretty easy to spot and avoid, but if you really must know...
    When given the option to destroy everything forever: don't.

• Options
    No, do it.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    No, do it.
    Well I bet someone was popular with those guys. Have fun in the Void!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yaay

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got the bad ending my first playthough just because I didn't really think it would go all the way to conclusion.

I was surprised to say the least.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    As someone with only a passing interest in Fire Emblem and mainline SMT, but loves Persona, I'm completely pleased with what SMTxFE has turned out to be, though I can imagine how annoyed people who were expecting a proper crossover are.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    As someone with only a passing interest in Fire Emblem and mainline SMT, but loves Persona, I'm completely pleased with what SMTxFE has turned out to be, though I can imagine how annoyed people who were expecting a proper crossover are.

It seems the SMT x FE label is a Western thing and not how people have referred to it in Japan so we may have set up some false expectations. Not that we had a whole lot since we heard nothing for a long time.

Right now it does look more SMT than FE (battles looked like multiple party members are involved, modern or near future setting, visions of a city destroyed) with the FE elements mostly being in what characters wear, wield, and ride (fancy outfit/armor, lances, pegasi). It's being worked on by Atlus and not Intelligent so more SMT mechanics are expected.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hey (hey), remember this?
    qEdJY1s.jpg

Reality can be harsh.
    tumblr_nm7y2uMwHq1qis82bo1_1280.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    It's somewhat hilarious that the Fire Emblem thread is talking about how little SMTxFE looks like Fire Emblem and the Persona thread is talking about how little it looks like SMT.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Well, it does look like something.

Which has little to do with either franchise!

Having the devil survivor dude working on it makes me positive, but not having a WIIu it doesn't really matter :P.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    isn't there supposed to be a reverse as well? an FExSMT if you will?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    isn't there supposed to be a reverse as well? an FExSMT if you will?

I think you're confusing it with Street Fighter x Tekken. Happens all the time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Uh

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Oh

Drez on
  • Options
    Again wrong thread.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    P3P:

I beat the Reaper! Only took me two tries. Cheesed it with Thunder Reign, not ashamed at all.

...these Monad enemies are awfully tough. Gonna have to throw out all thought of SP conservation and hit 'em as hard and as soon as possible, at least in this early going.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    XP gain in Monad skyrockets your levels with a quickness, so there's that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I swear to Og, if I have to keep hearing people read that as "hashtag FE" instead of "Sharp," I'm going to have some kind of aneurysm.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's no Persona 5 trailer, that's for sure

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    The analysis helped a bit (even if it focuses on more detail than I give a damn about) as the trailer often moved too damn fast. It looks basically like a Persona game with Fire Emblem characters/classes as the personas for various characters, with possible dual dimensions hopping over to a fantasy Fire Emblemy world instead of, say, Persona 4s TV world.

Honestly, while not what I was expecting, it makes sense and is probably for the best. The Persona series is really popular right now, and mashing it up in that way will probably work a lot better than trying to get the drastically different FE and core SMT settings to mix.

I'm not in love with some of the aesthetics, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    The aesthetics are so far removed from the very distinctive aesthetic of the Persona games that I'm having trouble seeing how it looks like one.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Any merit I saw in that trailer was completely overridden by the excruciatingly terrible music

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    They set up really specific SMT expectations by only showing core SMT characters in the initial teaser, if they had shown Devil Survivor (maaaybe Persona) characters instead I think this trailer would have went down smoother

I always knew they'd never make the bleak, apocalyptic experience I wanted but I couldn't think of any other reason they'd show the characters they did. That said, there's that shot of the destroyed city so I still have hope, that had better be an actual horrible event and not a premonition or whatever.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    That brings up an interesting question: Is it actually possible for a trailer to look like Persona without Persona style music? Which is equally distinctive.

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I swear to Og, if I have to keep hearing people read that as "hashtag FE" instead of "Sharp," I'm going to have some kind of aneurysm.

##

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

We call # "Pound" 'round here in 'Merika.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //