Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    A giant ... Inflatable ... Colon. Hm.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    so i just read an article about how the philly convention center is a hugely unappealing destination for exhibitors (leading to a terrible economic return when conventions give their business to other cities). the primary reason cited is horribly shitty behavior on the part of affiliated labor unions. so the city i guess hired some consultants to gauge the experience of conventioneers, and the legit findings were 'this is the worst group to deal with of any convention center in the whole country'

one specific thing pointed out is that exhibitors, in setting up their booths, cannot use any electric tools- literally, not even a $20 electric driver- and no ladders

is the idea here that the carpenters union or w-e will thereby be hired? like exhibitors have the choice of doing it themselves or paying convention staff, so the unions signed deals that encouraged exhibitors to hire them?

desc
    Thomamelas‌

Vegas isn't very different. For ISC West you work with Freeman who basically is hiring various Union members. They generally don't give a shit about someone using a drill but anything that touches on the electrical stuff is generally gonna have to be a union guy. I know some people will freak the fuck out but I know the power draw for our booth and multiplying that by the 20,000 exhibitors and I can see why they are eager to avoid fire hazards. I've sat in on the planning for 20ish trade shows and at no point does the behavior of the unions ever been discussed as a factor. Why? Because the people who have to deal with them are people like me. The people making the primary decisions never, ever actually set up a booth. So that seems like bullshit.

Also most exhibitor booths are designed to be set up sans power tools. For a 10x10 you just aren't gonna need a drill. That is only going to impact people on the bigger booths and the union costs are a pretty small factor for those people.

I did ASIS in Philly. Wanna know why no one goes to Philly to exhibit? Because Philly isn't much of a tourist town. Very few people think, "I want to plan a vacation around going to Philly".

are excessive power draws really a thing in conventions at, e.g., hong kong or otherwise non-unionized locations

They can be. Someone goes cheap on the power and then has a power strip feeding into power strips, feeding into power strips. Which is a hell of a fire hazard.

they can be, but how prevalent is it in non-unionized locations

like, what is the marginal safety increase being purchased here

(here is a bet: there is an increase in safety, but the increase in cost is even bigger, but it's hard to tell because there is only one Las Vegas and the labour premium is hidden under the location premium)

It depends on the AHJ. If a non-union place sends out swarms of fire inspectors they could achieve the same level of safety. Of course that's going to cost more in permitting costs and taxes.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    And 3 out of 5 finals done. Kill me.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I need my boss to cancel this meeting so I can play league of legends and finish my promo series

hrumph

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I know I'm not smart enough to non-verbally express my desire for head scratches

I mostly just bang my head against a wall until I pass out

usually when I wake up the desire is gone

He is smarter than you because you can't fucking tell he wants to be pet. I have to tell Lud all the time when the dogs want pet. They just stare at him and maybe grunt and he's like "WHAT?!" And I'm all "He wants pet, duh."

like, legitimately, I have no idea what you're expressing here

I thought it was pretty obvious the cat wanted to be pet

was the "you" meant to be "my husband" in this conversation

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    And 3 out of 5 finals done. Kill me.

Twiiiiins.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    wtf

mjq5su4.jpg
    looks like low life righteous fire max charges discharge build
    comedy gold i'm sure @surrealitycheck would approve
    /e: probably with some weird flask/crit multi. shenanigans mixed in

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I understand my doge fine.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    god, are race-obsessed academics wearying

• Options
    Also I have no problems getting pet if i really want to be.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I would approve of switching one of the Hail Hydra responses with a Doge.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Pony wrote: »

I don't think creating and talking about that type of dichotomy is necessarily unhelpful, but this guy sure chose some senselessly inflammatory category names.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

doges are pretty easy tho

one thing finley does that i haven't figured out is that he moans a lot. he never growls, just moans. he moans when you're petting him and he likes it and he moans identically when you disturb him and he wants to be left alone (i think). he never gets cross or snaps or bares his teeth and almost never barks - moaning is just sort of his thing.

he's a strange little guy.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I would approve of switching one of the Hail Hydra responses with a Doge.

I would not.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It would forever cement this place as belonging to the Olds

when you're later on the meme bandwagon than the stockholm metro and us congress, official Olds status

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

it's probably a lot easier to infer the contours of a monolithic "white regime" if you're not white.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    man

fuckin, against my better judgment, i watched the trailer for Fox's new "Gotham" show

it's going to be Smallville all over again, except this time with Batman

six seasons of relentless superhero blueballing because someone over at DC/Time Warner thinks TV hates superheroes but likes being teased about superheroes or some fucking thing I don't fucking know

except it won't get six seasons, it will get 13 episodes and get cancelled because it will be terrible and expensive

there's a sort of mercy in Fox's incredibly sharp axe

You are giving me flashbacks of Almost Human. It makes me sad we won't get anymore :(

that got the axe already? Why does Fox even bother with scifi shows? what was the last one that made it a full season? Sarah Connor Chronicles? Dollhouse? Also, it's funny seeing Lena Headey in other stuff aside Game of Thrones, where she's a psychotic bitch that drinks a ton, where she's typically a dynamic kick-ass type of character (that might be a vicious drug kingpin).

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    im watching a cop show and a car thief they busted actually said "i swear on me mums life"

lol

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    One of our cats falls over on his side and stretches when he wants pets. Which is like all the time. So you'll be walking up the stairs and flop, he'll just fall over in front of you. It's a good thing we're so used to it now cause he has no fear of being stepped on if it means he'll stop you for pettings.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    10-arthurevans.jpg

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

I don't think creating and talking about that type of dichotomy is necessarily unhelpful, but this guy sure chose some senselessly inflammatory category names.

that's sorta the rub, isn't it

there's a lot of folks in academia who talk a good game about the inflammatory powers of language

how you shouldn't say this

how this or that word has power, how saying a thing can bring a person down or demean someone or whatever

and i'm not saying they're wrong, per se

but that point rings a little hollow when they're completely unwilling to forsake any language that they know damn well can be very easily construed as inflammatory and outrageous in normal conversation and outside whatever specific contextualized meaning they've assigned it

there's a hypocrisy there i don't care for and find tiresome

either words are magic, or they are not

either things are offensive, or they are not

either you need to be mindful of the difference between what you intend and what you convey, or it doesn't matter

there are some academics who want to have it both ways and i think that's, in the words of Charles Dickens, the bullest of shit

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I don't know what's better, that it's possible to reach 1.8 million damage, or that the engine automatically drops into scientific notation if you do

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »

doges are pretty easy tho

one thing finley does that i haven't figured out is that he moans a lot. he never growls, just moans. he moans when you're petting him and he likes it and he moans identically when you disturb him and he wants to be left alone (i think). he never gets cross or snaps or bares his teeth and almost never barks - moaning is just sort of his thing.

he's a strange little guy.

you adopted a sick little pervert

• Options
    Dang, girl just walked past here with a really cute shirt. I wish I knew where she got it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I don't understand why networks time and again invest in expensive high-concept shows without ensuring their format is one that will promote quality.

"Cop Show in Space/The Future/The Old West/Atlantis" is about the laziest thing you can pitch.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Dang, girl just walked past here with a really cute shirt. I wish I knew where she got it.

peer at her shirt until she shoots you a death glare for ogling

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Though I suppose it being long sleeved means that I couldn't wear it for more than another week this year.

• Options
    I need more summer clothes.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ehhh what's up doc?

2j3h5pt.jpg

look at the size of this goddamn 17 week old puppy!

2wmkt55.jpg

seriously, this is insane

zo7u2r.jpg

next to my doge for scale (a fine example of synchronized doge-ing going on in this pic)

xlj9lu.jpg

bonus shot of doge bathing at the beach

2lln2go.jpg

@Cinders @Gonmun @all Doge lovers

• Options

original.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i guess i'm taking adderall today. and also probably eating some sugar. and seeing if i can finagle my way into doing the cold box for an hour or two to keep me awake.

bitching and moaning y'all v.v

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Just plowing through chat I missed out on while crapping my soul out because why not and now I'm depressed to learn that Gor is an actual thing.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

original.jpg
    Wouldn't have fit me in her size.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    chu what happened to wawa sodas

none of mine have them anymore

where am i supposed to get watermelon soda D :

• Options
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Though I suppose it being long sleeved means that I couldn't wear it for more than another week this year.

You could always move to Yellowknife.

• Options

You could always move to Yellowknife.

I'm a southern girl. I like warm.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I need my boss to cancel this meeting so I can play league of legends and finish my promo series

hrumph

Boss pls

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I don't understand why networks time and again invest in expensive high-concept shows without ensuring their format is one that will promote quality.

"Cop Show in Space/The Future/The Old West/Atlantis" is about the laziest thing you can pitch.

Cop show in NYC

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm starting to suspect my brother may be planning on never returning from Europe. Or at the very least, when he does I think he's probably going to take off one-way to San Franciso afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.