Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't understand why networks time and again invest in expensive high-concept shows without ensuring their format is one that will promote quality.

"Cop Show in Space/The Future/The Old West/Atlantis" is about the laziest thing you can pitch.

Cop show in NYC

Not really the same thing. I was talking about high-concept shows.

Though I do agree that "cop show" is pretty lazy, but oddly prolific. People love TV cops.

The Wire is the only cop show anybody needs.

Cindy has two missions in life

1) get everyone taking estrogen

2) get everyone watching the wire

not necessarily in that order

I don't think cis ladies really need to be taking estrogen.

fair enough

but you cannot deny in your ideal world we are all sitting down watching the wire with magnificent boobs

It's just so beautiful.

Sniff

i am the only impediment to this grand plan having done neither

I'm coming to Europe next year. This will be fixed

i'm almost scared to ask which one

Oh Casual, I can do two things at once.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    They should bring Buffy back.

But only if it is good.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i feel like firefly should have trimmed the fat a lot and just had nathan fillion and morena baccarin fuck onscreen for 22 minutes at a time

six seasons and a movie

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i hold a really unfair bias against shows like dr who, firefly and buffy that are beloved by 15 year old american girls who love the united kingdom and livejournal

The Firefly fandom is insufferable. No, it's not coming back. No, it would not be any good even if it were brought back. Tough shit.

That doesn't mean the show itself is bad, though.
    ascuse me Firefly will come back and I will finally be cast as the space whore I've always known I could be

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i hold a really unfair bias against shows like dr who, firefly and buffy that are beloved by 15 year old american girls who love the united kingdom and livejournal

there are so many of these girls it is the best

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Firefly was basically The Old West In Space.

Wild West Scifi is a pretty common trope. Firefly is just the most overt about it. A lot of scifi shows borrow thematically from westerns. Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop were very western, they just lacked Nathan Fillion in a duster.

Plus there was that Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones movie.

And movies like Outland. Which is quite literally just High Noon in Space.

(still awesome though. Loved Outland)

edit: Bah.. beated to the punch by space star ordering.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Neco wrote: »

But only if it is good.

so make a new show that isn't buffy-like you mean

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't understand why networks time and again invest in expensive high-concept shows without ensuring their format is one that will promote quality.

"Cop Show in Space/The Future/The Old West/Atlantis" is about the laziest thing you can pitch.

Cop show in NYC

Not really the same thing. I was talking about high-concept shows.

Though I do agree that "cop show" is pretty lazy, but oddly prolific. People love TV cops.

The Wire is the only cop show anybody needs.

Cindy has two missions in life

1) get everyone taking estrogen

2) get everyone watching the wire

not necessarily in that order

I don't think cis ladies really need to be taking estrogen.

fair enough

but you cannot deny in your ideal world we are all sitting down watching the wire with magnificent boobs

It's just so beautiful.

Sniff

i am the only impediment to this grand plan having done neither

I'm coming to Europe next year. This will be fixed

i'm almost scared to ask which one

Oh Casual, I can do two things at once.

:winky:
    D:
    D:
    D:

Casual on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I wish the default volume of wine was 500ml. That would be much more civilised for when I can't manage a full one.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Nope that won't end with a depressing twist ending at all. A retro indie game would never do that.

it is fanneh to me that this is the first thing u jump 2

Because media is never about overcoming the odds and adversity anymore. It's so god damned grim dark

There can't just be heros. People can't just defy fate and death and say "fuck you. Everybody lives."

It's always a god damned message about how the world is shit and life is shit and everything is shit.

I can get this.

There is a general disdain for happy endings these days. I think that our culture just isn't interested in them right now.

The trick is that it's hard to do people who are heroes the way that you want and yet still give them complex motivations. Or rather, it looks really hard to TV execs.

This is bullshit, things have happy endings all the god damn time, there's just a cynical confirmation bias going on with the part of both of you here where you're obfuscating the critical acclaim and popularity of a handful of things for the trend of the entirety of entertainment.

Give it a rest.

• Options

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

i say this as a fan of the show

it had its run

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i feel like firefly should have trimmed the fat a lot and just had nathan fillion and morena baccarin fuck onscreen for 22 minutes at a time

six seasons and a movie

zEbFW9c.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wish the default volume of wine was 500ml. That would be much more civilised for when I can't manage a full one.

well you're not supposed to drink it alone

• Options

Judging things solely by their fanbase is incredibly lazy, John. I'm disappointed.

• Options
    wait firefly was an hour long show

whatevs

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    On one hand, Jayne is pretty cool.

On the other hand, giving money to Adam Baldwin...

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Nope that won't end with a depressing twist ending at all. A retro indie game would never do that.

Because media is never about overcoming the odds and adversity anymore. It's so god damned grim dark

There can't just be heros. People can't just defy fate and death and say "fuck you. Everybody lives."

It's always a god damned message about how the world is shit and life is shit and everything is shit.

except for like

almost every single procedural show on tv or any blockbuster film or any young adult fiction or

i dunno man i think ur extrapolating from just a very small number of well-received shows

we are literally living in the golden age of superhero films and a revivification of both star trek and star wars

there is SHIT LOADS of heroic media out there

The procedural shows where beloved characters randomly become serial killers
    the procedural show where the bad guy routinely wins on a technicality, or the doctor doesn't find the right cure in time?
    The young adult fiction where children kill each other and it's all shit and nobody really wins in the end..the bread and circuses just go right on
    The young adult fiction where anyone who thinks outside the box and doesn't fit in a mold is in mortal danger
    The young adult fiction about an abusive boyfriend who's creepy thousand year old vampire but is really in love with a teenage girl?
    The Blockbuster film where the moral of the story is that, yes your government is rotten to the core and the only solution is to blow up everything
    Oh oh, or maybe you mean the superhero movie where the superhero is left with the choice between saving the world and snapping a man's neck

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

Judging things solely by their fanbase is incredibly lazy, John. I'm disappointed.

He knows he's being unfair

he was ruined by an anglophile

I know the whole sordid history

Very tragic, such traumatic

• Options

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

I actually didn't like much beyond the third season...

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

well you're not supposed to drink it alone

wait, what?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

whatevs
    What you're not letting anyone else get anything twixt their neithers?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    A prequel to CSI: New York

CSI: York

Gruff northern police investigating stabbings near the minster and people hiding in the Yorvik Viking Museum.

the necessary subtitles will be offputting to american or english audiences

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

whatevs

You've gotta leave time for the cuddling

• Options

damn you just gonna put my name on the street?

Marlo_My_Name_Is_My_Name.jpg

MY NAME IS MY NAME

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

Gruff northern police investigating stabbings near the minster and people hiding in the Yorvik Viking Museum.

Test it on the anime audiences first, they get mad if you DON'T have subtitles.

• Options

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

"Upon thy chance of besting thy lord his majesty, err ye not." - Ser Omar

• Options
    It's okay to not like things.

It's also okay to look at something based purely on the marketing material, trailers, and the other ways something is officially presenting itself to you and go "Nah, this doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in" and take a pass on it. That's totally fair. After all, getting you interested in it is marketing's job and if they're not doing it then either that thing wasn't for you in the first place or they failed at their job.

It's not okay to hate something you have no experience with and have never watched/read/listened to/played or otherwise experienced. You don't know what you are talking about. It's especially not okay to hate that something because you find the fanbase of that thing obnoxious. It is okay to hate the fanbase if the fanbase is obnoxious, but you have to be able to separate what your real gripe is here.

And if the fans themselves are enough to turn you off from something that you're unwilling to entertain it because you don't want to associate yourself with them, that's really unfortunate but I can sorta see where you are coming from. That said though, that's not some virtue you should be proud of, nor is it some completely logical position to take. It's an emotional gut reaction, a speedbump you're unwilling to step over to try new things, and you should really see it as such.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

The Firefly fandom is insufferable. No, it's not coming back. No, it would not be any good even if it were brought back. Tough shit.

Yeah.

Like, Serenity was kiiiiinnnd of a bad movie. I wish it got a fair shot on TV at the time, but it's over now! Cherish what you got and move on.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

damn you just gonna put my name on the street?

"Your name isn't John, though," she said knowingly.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    s3Ngf5T.jpg

Neco on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Test it on the anime audiences first, they get mad if you DON'T have subtitles.

5Tahxpk.jpg?2

• Options
    to expand on endings a little:

there has actually been a dramatic widening of what constitutes a "happy ending"

while films have become dramatically more formulaic in structure, the films are now allowing more commonly a modicum of confusion and sacrifice during the course of the film - this is partly due to the infamous screenwriting book

this is an excellent thing. we are seeing a general broadening of tone, and moreover both the desire and ability to have more interesting combinations and mixtures of tone. going from the triumphalism of something like the avengers to the slightly more nuanced ending of cap 2, even if staying just within the genre of superhero movies. there are very very few popular films that actually have FUCK YOU endings

even breaking bad, which is a tragedy, avoids a full on fuck you ending. probably the closest thing to fuck you television is game of thrones, and even that is trying to avoid a relentlessly bleak and yawnsome emotional gamut
    im down wiv it

it would be hard to argue that the star wars trilogy didnt have a happy ending, and yet remember empire...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    No, John, you ARE the demons!

• Options
    serenity was terrible

that river chick was the worst part of the show no don't make the movie about her

• Options
    edited May 2014

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aged too much.

Neco on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Yeah.

Like, Serenity was kiiiiinnnd of a bad movie. I wish it got a fair shot on TV at the time, but it's over now! Cherish what you got and move on.

In the Firefly reboot, there will be a solid episode where Inara is waiting for the results of her space herpes test

but then Jayne comes down with the space herpes and Mal gets mad that Inara and Jayne were having sexies

but then it turns out that everyone is positive for space herpes

i've got ideas, man

• Options

except for like

almost every single procedural show on tv or any blockbuster film or any young adult fiction or

i dunno man i think ur extrapolating from just a very small number of well-received shows

we are literally living in the golden age of superhero films and a revivification of both star trek and star wars

there is SHIT LOADS of heroic media out there

The procedural shows where beloved characters randomly become serial killers
    the procedural show where the bad guy routinely wins on a technicality, or the doctor doesn't find the right cure in time?
    The young adult fiction where children kill each other and it's all shit and nobody really wins in the end..the bread and circuses just go right on
    The young adult fiction where anyone who thinks outside the box and doesn't fit in a mold is in mortal danger
    The young adult fiction about an abusive boyfriend who's creepy thousand year old vampire but is really in love with a teenage girl?
    The Blockbuster film where the moral of the story is that, yes your government is rotten to the core and the only solution is to blow up everything
    Oh oh, or maybe you mean the superhero movie where the superhero is left with the choice between saving the world and snapping a man's neck

holy shit lol

yeah at this point im gonna say the problem u have is that u fucking hate any story that isnt saccharine as shit, and u r misinterpreting ur personal dislike of stories with any element of adversity or injustice with some collective problem of the world

sort it out broski

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm a leaf on the wind

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    i have a lot of reasons to not watch any of those shows besides their gushing, anglophilic, livejournal-icons-with-poorly-paint-shop-pro'd-because-they-couldn't-afford-photoshop-sparkly-hearts-making teen fanbase. mostly that i just don't really take on much new television these days, since there are already a bunch of current programs i follow. shit has to be super well liked but multiple people whose taste i typically enjoy. i also don't really look forward to the idea of marathons of seasons like i did when i was younger. my goddamned ass will hurt, being in this chair for that long.

but anyway the point is i did not expect to be RealNameI'mDisappointedInYou condemned because of some campy tv shows

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.