Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Ant-Man movie is not about Hank Pym?

Hank Pym is the asshole super-scientist, right? The one who is violent with his wife and a complete dick?

there are 2 ant mans the one the movie is focusing on is scott lang

hank pym will be michael douglas who invents the shit but isnt a bad enough dude to rescue the president

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    All this superhero talk is making me really want to play a superhero rpg.

Hey @Thomamelas‌, @Jacobkosh‌ I'm not sure about the others in the our group but after this month of RP'ing I'd love to be part of a superhero RP if you guys ever get the itch to play it.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Hank Pym is the asshole super-scientist, right? The one who is violent with his wife and a complete dick?

hank pym will be michael douglas who invents the shit but isnt a bad enough dude to rescue the president

Right, right...

Are all Ant-men assholes in the comics? i seem to recall one title being something like "The Irredeemable Ant-Man"

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    heh I just discovered an old pejorative title people called popes. "Vice-God". Never heard that one before. I actually like the pope, but lol.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Gad damn, I think we have our 2014 winner of the Donking H Kong - John S Variable Memorial Hag2Swag Prize

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Hey Thomamelas‌, Jacobkosh‌ I'm not sure about the others in the our group but after this month of RP'ing I'd love to be part of a superhero RP if you guys ever get the itch to play it.
    I think it could be really interesting to play Leverage with super-powers.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Hank Pym really pretty much coasts off one discovery. His only other scientific accomplishment was building an AI. Which promptly went insane. I'm not saying he's the worst scientist in the MU but he's pretty bad. But hey, he did help set up this line.

zyzfPsF.jpg

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

He's like "Holy cow, the internet"

Too much hyperbole! Millar's Cap is not a racist! He is a bit chauvanistic in certain circumstances, but he is depicted as being from the 40s in a less idealized way!

I love 616 and movie Cap, I do. I do not feel that this requires me to pretend Millar's approach to Cap puts him as a Klan member piece of shit. You babies.

And I'm not even a Millar fan, Civil War sucked, Wanted sucked, Kickass was eh, but Ultimates was great!

I haven't actually read the Civil War stuff.

But in theory, I like it.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Ok there is something I am obviously not getting with firefly and why people like it because I thought the show was a slow droll with a bit of funny witty dialogue here or there
    You can see it as this sort of reflective space western where the cowboys were beaten by the outlaws and the plantation owners, and now there's a bunch of arguably good guys just trying to get by in a world that's gone mostly to shit.

It's suprisingly good tone-wise, because you have the joviality of the crew themselves, offset by the knowledge that the universe is now a much worse place for the browncoats having lost, and you can see how they try to keep their minds off the big issues in much the same way most people in real life do. So you have this mix of them trying to do small good deeds to feel a little better about themselves and the world, and them having to deal with the reality of just how much of a crapsack universe they live in.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    fuck i was training really hard for the Hag2Swag Prize but I guess Ana just wanted it more

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    2011-05-12-beartato-invisible.png

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Hey Thomamelas‌, Jacobkosh‌ I'm not sure about the others in the our group but after this month of RP'ing I'd love to be part of a superhero RP if you guys ever get the itch to play it.

I keep tossing around the idea but I've got some stuff to run first. Like Night's Black Agents. And Mutant City Blues.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

podly...

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I was very seriously reading the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying book last night.

I really like it. It seems like a good system.

I may have already started thinking about writing something to run for it. Though I think that I would throw out the setting and do a vaguely heroes-ish type thing (having superpowers suddenly start appearing, and dealing with that)

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

He's like "Holy cow, the internet"

Too much hyperbole! Millar's Cap is not a racist! He is a bit chauvanistic in certain circumstances, but he is depicted as being from the 40s in a less idealized way!

I love 616 and movie Cap, I do. I do not feel that this requires me to pretend Millar's approach to Cap puts him as a Klan member piece of shit. You babies.

And I'm not even a Millar fan, Civil War sucked, Wanted sucked, Kickass was eh, but Ultimates was great!

I haven't actually read the Civil War stuff.

But in theory, I like it.

There were a couple okay moments in Civil War but in total it was terrible and lame

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    heh I just discovered an old pejorative title people called popes. "Vice-God". Never heard that one before. I actually like the pope, but lol.

You like the pope? Are you some kind of papist?!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I could run an off-beat superhero-ish RPG if you want, @gonmun.

But be warned.

It would be off-beat.

You'd have heroes with super-powers doing things like saving people. it would be revolutionary.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    What's with all the dozens of Goblin based villains in Spiderman?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

I'll admit this Pope seems pretty neat so far

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I read off-beat as beat-off and was subsequently very disappointed.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Agents of SHIELD, which I think you discarded early on Pony, is still pretty ropey, but redeemed itself a bit around episode 12. It suffers pretty badly from how boring most of the cast are, and Clark Gregg does a lot of the heavy lifting to keep it enjoyable. But when it gets into Coulson's actual myth arc, as well as tying itself into the new Cap movie, it does a lot better.

For better or worse, they manage to tie the earlier monster of the week eps into the overarching plot.

my hope is Agents of SHIELD does some kind of thing with season 2 where like

they do a "jumping on point" for new people so you can just start watching it from there without having to watch the dreadful first season

because if you think I'm slogging through at least 12 episodes of Skye making awkward nerd jokes just to make the show watchable you are foolin' yourself

I watched the first five eps of AoS and concluded it was one of the worst TV shows I had seen in at least five years

admittedly, I watch very little TV so that's not a hard low to hit

but the problems I have with it are thus:

Skye in particular is offensively bad and every time she appears on screen I just want her off

the actress is bad and her writing is bad

hilariously enough Felicity Smoak on Arrow is more or less the same kind of character (incredibly hot super hacker genius who is kind of dorky and hits on the hot dude main lead awkwardly) and yet I find Felicity endearing and wonderful because the character is better written and the actress is leagues better

it's amazing the difference that makes

Ward is the boring lump of boringness (although someone spoiled how his character gets super interesting later) and I can't get over how Fitz and Simmons are literal children who are also cartoon characters

so in terms of interesting characters there are May and Coulson? they are cool

but they are surrounded by cartoons, a loaf of bread, and a motorized-chalkboard-with-nails-that-scratch-across-it-automatically device

as they engage in pointless janitorial work of the not-quite-Marvel Universe because Marvel won't let them play with any of the cool toys in case they want to make a movie out of that later

so instead of cool villains or cameos by interesting heroes, you get C-listers like Graviton (who isn't even Graviton yet, he's just a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to the fans in the style of Smallville), Z-listers like Deathlok (because they couldn't make him Power Man because Luke Cage is getting a Netflix series) or fully made up villains like the "Scorch"

I've kept my eye on AoS in case at any point it found it's testicles rolling around under the kids' table like d20s that fell down after an overenthusiastic saving throw

and apparently for all of its nonsense, Winter Soldier did some good things to the show and it might be watchable now

but we'll see.

it remains the show I want to like

but can't.

• Options
    What's with all the dozens of Goblin based villains in Spiderman?

The goblin is the only natural predator of the spider.

Don't you know that?

• Options

i could make a superhero beat-off campaign just for you.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

podly...

WE'RE GOING LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE : NINE GUYS, NO WEAPON

free download after 312 comments, 2769 plays and a letter from the pope, na kidding DOWNLOAD THAT SHIT ALREADY

CAN YOU DIG IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

podly...

yes these are songs arranged sequentially yes

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Gad damn, I think we have our 2014 winner of the Donking H Kong - John S Variable Memorial Hag2Swag Prize

ehhh

in one picture shes wearing make up and a less stupid facial expression in the other she isn't, those pictures could have been taken 20 mins apart

basically she isn't ugly in pic one, she just hasn't scrubbed up

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

podly...come out and plaa-eee-aaaay

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

@LorctheOrc‌

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I keep tossing around the idea but I've got some stuff to run first. Like Night's Black Agents. And Mutant City Blues.

Totally understand Thom. Definitely count me in though for anything in the future.

Also, totally looking forward to how things go tomorrow night. Really liking how things are shaping up for us. I could totally see it being like an offshoot of the show the way out wacky hijinks (mainly thanks to the dice) have been going.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    fuck i was training really hard for the Hag2Swag Prize but I guess Ana just wanted it more

have you considered #REKING someone over a nonexistant eating disorder?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

podly...

podly can't dig it

must be an orphan

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014

i could make a superhero beat-off campaign just for you.

Sounds like a spin-off for @Winky‌ 's game.

Gonmun on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Right, right...

Are all Ant-men assholes in the comics? i seem to recall one title being something like "The Irredeemable Ant-Man"

That'd be the third Ant Man, Eric O'Grady, who was a low-level SHIELD employee with access to Pym's technology and was disgruntled with his job. Saw an opportunity to steal Pym's shit and become a "super-hero", so he did.

By "super-hero" he actually meant, thief and creep who sneaks into women's locker rooms and shit. Eric O'Grady is a creepy asshole weirdo.

• Options
    Podly wrote: »

podly...

but wait what happens if instead of making a sequence i stack the sequences on top of each other

and enter the second dimension of sound

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hell not having to worry about money means that you could still do "work". But now you can do the work you want and not what you have to do to make ends meet. Look, now I can run a comic / gaming shop that doesn't make hardly any profit! Now I can take people on charter fishing trips without worrying about business costs!

Or just give people money to see what happens in Kamuro-cho.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    all of the superpowers manifest through masturbating

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

frankly after a strong january and february your swag levels have really hit a trench

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NOWHERE TO RUN TO BABY

NOWHERE TO HIDE

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    it's surprisingly easy for a person of average attractiveness to take two pictures where they look shit hot in one and mortifyingly fugly in the other

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Well I'm not the papiest person per se, but I enjoy a good paping, so I guess I'm papier than average for this papeless thread?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.