Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

chris-evans-captain-america.jpeg

dat taper

tumblr_lp67vl2NDy1qzozj1.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Stargate feels like it has another spin-off in it. This one can be set in the middle ages to cash in on GoT. But it'll also have Jack in it because he fell through a time hole or something.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Like AFI's top 10 movies of all time there's 2 movies that aren't dark and/or end badly.

Or Best picture winners from the 1970s
    Patton - ageneral with anger issues who assaults a shell shocked soldier who keeps losing out because he can't control himself
    The French Connection - undercover, brutalizing cops with a twist climax
    The Godfather - organized crime as protagonists, corrupting influences of his family
    The Sting - con men and betrayal
    Godfather Part II - organized crime, corruption etc etc
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - ends with the protagonist lobotomized
    Rocky - closest thing to a happy movie, a brain damaged fighter doesn't lose to a champion
    Annie Hall - neurotic new yorker can't make his relationships work
    Deer Hunter - Vietnam movie that hinges on the war's brutality and suicide
    Kramer v Kramer - movie about a vicious divorce

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

dat taper

hail hydra, fuck this guy

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

He's like "Holy cow, the internet"

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I want them to make a silver age Green Arrow movie complete with boxing glove arrows and everything, with a tone somewhere between Zombieland and Kickass.

Actually just ridiculous super-campy silver age movies for all the heroes. Except Superham. Superham can go rot, because he is the most utterly boring and stupid hero of them all.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

And his patriotism is aspirational. People tend to assume it's "America, love it or leave it" but it's really much more about the idea of what America could be. And pushing towards that rather then assuming nothing needs changing.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

He's like "Holy cow, the internet"

right, so long as you dont assume that everybody in the 1940s was retarded he works

but if you just assume that everything about him is a fixed quantity he ends up being flat

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL GAMERS

You may now pre-purchase Transistor on Steam.

For those that don't recognize the name, Transistor is the next game from the company that made Bastion, and it features the same narrator voice actor too. This time it's set in a super-stylized cyberpunk sort of setting.

not for ios

not for xbone

such bullshit

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    the nurse in the background lol

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I want them to make a silver age Green Arrow movie complete with boxing glove arrows and everything, with a tone somewhere between Zombieland and Kickass.

Actually just ridiculous super-campy silver age movies for all the heroes. Except Superham. Superham can go rot, because he is the most utterly boring and stupid hero of them all.

green arrow vs harley quinn face off where she is only allowed inflatable hammers and he is only allowed boxing glove arrows

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    a buddy of mine was like

"Watching The Winter Soldier made me very uncomfortable."

and i'm like "what why?"

and he's like "Dude, I'm heterosexual and Cap is just like... there. And the movie keeps putting Scar Jo in there like a balm, like naw, you're not gay, check out Scar Jo's ass, it's cool, but he's still just there man and I don't know what to think."

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    AHH I keep forgetting about Transistor! I want it now!

• Options
    Which French Connection is this? I watched it a fortnight ago, it's about cops who are tracing some dudes on a drugs bust.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    The Godfather Part II was lame.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL GAMERS

You may now pre-purchase Transistor on Steam.

For those that don't recognize the name, Transistor is the next game from the company that made Bastion, and it features the same narrator voice actor too. This time it's set in a super-stylized cyberpunk sort of setting.

not for ios

not for xbone

such bullshit

Bastion can run in a browser, so pretty much any computer on the planet will be able to play it.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    30 minutes till my accounting final. Don't feel like studying anymore. Want sleep. Zzz.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    it's really stupid how much social media can make someone happy

cool dj dude just created a secret personal page and friended me and i'm all

https://db.tt/9GMxywbw

and this is a dude i've hung out with before! but facebook has to make it official nowadays fuk da patriarchy burn down capitalism

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    AHH I keep forgetting about Transistor! I want it now!

When you speak, I hear silence
    every word a defiance.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular

I only brought it up as a point that having the contrast is that it seems to be the only way to make a old school boy scout character work well anymore. Stories have recently taken a lot more dark and grittier avenues to get to the happy endings which I think some people mistake as having non happy endings. Though to me this is great because I hate being able to predict the entirety of the plot and how things will play out ten minutes into the thing. The only real fuck you ending I can remember off the top of my head was fate/zero but that's basically a prequel to setup a plot to a video game?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Casual wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    They should bring Buffy back.

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

i say this as a fan of the show

it had its run

I actually didn't like much beyond the third season...

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

Buffy the next generation would be good

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

we follow a new slayer and a new cast of interesting demon supporting cast
    The way the show ended makes that impossible

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

i never read the comic books that came after the show

i dont think most people who watched the show did

anything in there that makes a sequel series impossible can p easily be written off or ignored

I agree on the 'fun ride'/'its done'. The last season destroyed any continuity to the character of buffy.
    Wait, how? What happened that changed her drastically?

I'm a little foggy, but basically the character's attitude, motivations and power changed between every episode. this leaks into the season before the final too I believe?

So, gigantic spoilers
    She dies. They resurrect her a long time later despite the entire series except the end of the first season saying how bad of an idea that is. She gets really pissed off, because she was in heaven. She's actively angry with everyone who did it. She then flip flops every episode the entire last season between being useless, being angry and useless, forming an army and then not giving a shit about them, being gung ho leader, and being a badass. Theres a super vampire, and it kicks her ass. like she had no chance what so ever. So what happens the next episode? she sets up an arena for her 'students' and goes 'check this out', tricks super vampire into showing up, and beats the shit out of it. Theres no indication of how or why it is possible.

Its like they had 4 writers, and they were all put in seperate rooms, and told 'bill, write episode 6, 9 and 11.' and then 'jeremy, write 1,2,7.' and a season got made.

The actual finale wasn't awful, and better than it could have been given how the show was going.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    The thing I am actually really impressed with regards to MCU Captain America is how Chris Evans has portrayed him. It's really...Cap has always been the sort of inspirational type of character you see people rally around all the time. He just instills this sense of leadership and honor that people just want to aspire to. Admitedly when they first announced that Evans was going to be Cap I was really worried they were going to have it as the Ultimate version and he was going to be a bit of a dick. Evans has really turned me around though and I think he's really taken that role as his own and made it the perfect on-screen representation of the character with thanks to Joss Whedon and co. of course for their writting. But Evans to me, especially in Cap 2, really brought his A game.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Like AFI's top 10 movies of all time there's 2 movies that aren't dark and/or end badly.

Patton - ageneral with anger issues who assaults a shell shocked soldier who keeps losing out because he can't control himself
    The Godfather - organized crime as protagonists, corrupting influences of his family
    Rocky - closest thing to a happy movie, a brain damaged fighter doesn't lose to a champion

critical acclaim traditionally sits on the unexpected or the brutally realist, especially in the 1970s as a reaction to what cinema had previously been

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

dat taper

That's the important part!

Captain Abs... <3

hmmm

*takes notes*

chicks... dig... abs.

• Options
    Podly wrote: »

and this is a dude i've hung out with before! but facebook has to make it official nowadays fuk da patriarchy burn down capitalism

get his e-dick

so everybody can se...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Abs are so great.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    doctors opinion is "shoulder has maybe possibly a small labrum tear but maybe not so i dunno bro, do what you want"

great

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

dat taper

tumblr r blocked :(

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

And his patriotism is aspirational. People tend to assume it's "America, love it or leave it" but it's really much more about the idea of what America could be. And pushing towards that rather then assuming nothing needs changing.

Civil War arc.

Fuckhead industrialist supports the government he bought and pair for. Probably got a few tax cuts in return.

Captain America fights against lawfully elected US government because he refuses to compromise his (very American) principles.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2014
    i wonder how miserable life would be trying to get that body without the use of PEDs. Chicken Breasts & hardboiled eggs for every meal!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

yeah i think there are a lot of interesting angles to the character. the tension between 1940s ideals and 2014 ideals is really fertile ground even without getting into the race/ gender stuff (which would need to be done pretty carefully i think). it's a really good way to explore american nostalgia and contemporary american political ideals in a topical way. it's an interesting way to explore the role of individualism in modern america, esp wrt to the ideal of civic duty that has kind of since dissipated.

i dunno. i think the character is promising. it's just too easy and a self-flagellating waste to paint him as some sort of jingoistic uber-patriot like apparently the ultimate series did.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

@podly @surrealitycheck‌
    http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yVqEq-jh--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/etovyfczvdksq3gjyc9u.gif

poo
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

dat taper

it's the gif where Steve Rogers walks out of the super soldier capsule all buff and shirtless.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i wish my dad would stop making dinner

i really would rather do it myself >.<

i mean i can be grateful for not having to do it myself and get past the petty stuff like the fact he always overcooks shit

but he is the least practical man in the world and the unsafe stuff worries me

like yesterday he stacked two chicken fillets on top of each other in the oven so they didnt properly cook on one side (which i fortunately noticed before eating)

or just now he put a plate in the oven which i then picked up and burned myself on, yes my mistake but its an easy one to make and the reason we don't generally put plates in the oven

but he cooks this shit without telling me and gets absurdly offended if i don't eat it

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I don't actually read comics I don't know what I'm talking about re:Civil War arc, I just read the wikipedia article once.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

dat taper

ZEb9MxZ.gif

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my boss just told us she got an offer to go to another company, and told her boss

and that she'd think about it overnight and let us know etc

she wouldn't tell us unless she'd decided, right?

she's been micromanaging the fuck out of us for the last couple of months, so this might be a nice change until I can do my CS degree and gtfo

• Options

you're not really being fair about the sting. it's a lighthearted heist movie and it ends happy.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Speaking of comics, did the Superior Spider-man storyline end? Lots of comic book people were saying it would end in time for the new movie...

This discussion has been closed.