Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    speaking of endings i'm still real mad about burial at sea

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The real tragedy of modern television is that Tremors: The Lost Monsters was axed before it even started shooting.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I liked Burial at Sea. It was neato.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

i think im halfway through episode one. Should I stop? Is there a twweeest?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dr who? morel ike dr POO

lmao

Y9177Ys.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hold on u guys Im running for congress so I can introduce prop gun control legislation

depends on how you define "prop gun"

most prop guns will be just that, a prop that looks like a gun but isn't actually a gun

but when they actually need to fire a gun for a scene i think they generally use real guns with blank cartridges

you sure as shit need to be careful when handling real guns

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

Is there a twweeest?

It's Bioshock bro

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Is there a twweeest?

It's Bioshock bro

i only played infinite. That was a very satisfying ending.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    They should bring Buffy back.

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

i say this as a fan of the show

it had its run

I actually didn't like much beyond the third season...

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

Buffy the next generation would be good

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

we follow a new slayer and a new cast of interesting demon supporting cast
    The way the show ended makes that impossible

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

i never read the comic books that came after the show

i dont think most people who watched the show did

anything in there that makes a sequel series impossible can p easily be written off or ignored

I agree on the 'fun ride'/'its done'. The last season destroyed any continuity to the character of buffy.

The only reason to make a new buffy show is to pull in the old buffy fans. If you ignore a ton of cannon material from another medium that the die hards read, noone is going to watch it. If they didnt get whedon to do it people would pitch fits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dr who? morel ike dr POO

lmao

yeah?

well...

your face.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Episode One was okay. I HATED Episode Two. I can't really explain why without ruining the DLC for you.

• Options
    Man if government spies wore cloaks and daggers I feel like they would be spotted really quickly

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    frankie has been watching an old pbs show called Voyagers! on netflix

YNczy84.jpg

it was sort of an american take on the original premise of Doctor Who, which was "have adventures in history". from back when pbs took their education mandate really seriously.

the premise is that there's a dude named Phineas Bogg who is a handsome "Voyager" who is sent through time to fix things that didn't go the way they were supposed to. somehow he also picked up a young orphan named jeffrey to help him out. so they go through time and roguish phineas romances all the ladies (chastely, this was 1980s pbs) while earnest jeffrey tells him what kind of history was supposed to happen.

they never say where phineas is from - but he knows absolutely nothing about history or really anything. he doesn't know what a clutch on a car is. he doesn't know who mark twain is. he doesn't know what poker is. with his broad surfer-dude accent i guess he must be from some cali commune where he was kept in a shed for 20 years before being loosed on the world.

it's low-budget and silly, but they really manage to pack a lot of history into the episodes. one giving the history of flight had the pair bouncing between WWI and the wright brothers and meeting eddie richenbacher. another focusing on slavery had them bouncing between spartacus and harriet tubman and young mark twain.

anyways the actor who played phineas was goofing with a prop gun on-set and killed himself midway through the first season. still it's a fun bit of whimsical nostalgia if you guys have some cycles. probably still great for kids.

edit: oh something fun i foget: phineas' acting direction is clearly "be like han solo". that is exactly what he does. he even uses "kid" all the time.

That reminds me as a kid growing up I loved Mathnet on PBS. It was like Dragnet only the detectives used math to solve crimes and always wore blue suit jackets. The other show I watched in my pre-teens that I even had my parents watching every night at supper was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiJizt8jxw

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

anyways the actor who played phineas was goofing with a prop gun on-set and killed himself midway through the first season. still it's a fun bit of whimsical nostalgia if you guys have some cycles. probably still great for kids.

WTFFFffff

Blanks can still kill. It's how Brandon Lee died.
    During a break between scenes on the set on October 12, 1984, Jon-Erik Hexum became bored with the filming delays. He began playing Russian roulette with what he believed was a harmless .44 Magnum prop gun and jokingly placed it to his temple and pulled the trigger. The shot sent the wadding from the blank cartridge into Hexum's skull, driving a bone fragment the size of a quarter into his brain and causing massive hemorrhaging. Hexum was rushed to the hospital, where he eventually was declared brain dead.

Yeah, don't mess with guns. Even prop ones.

I didn't pick up a gun until I was an adult. I was in my early 20s and my friends were going to go shooting and I had never been.

The very first thing that I was told was under no circumstances to point a gun at someone. Ever. I picked up an unloaded firearm, and they were all serious face and were like. Never point a gun at a person.

I think the implication was "unless you are willing to see that person dead"

Guns get pointed at things you want holes in. If you don't want a hole in it, then don't aim a gun at it.

NEW instantaneous piercing!!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Episode One was okay. I HATED Episode Two. I can't really explain why without ruining the DLC for you.

k. thx. ill wait for it to go on mega sale.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

WTFFFffff

During a break between scenes on the set on October 12, 1984, Jon-Erik Hexum became bored with the filming delays. He began playing Russian roulette with what he believed was a harmless .44 Magnum prop gun and jokingly placed it to his temple and pulled the trigger. The shot sent the wadding from the blank cartridge into Hexum's skull, driving a bone fragment the size of a quarter into his brain and causing massive hemorrhaging. Hexum was rushed to the hospital, where he eventually was declared brain dead.

Yeah, don't mess with guns. Even prop ones.

:(

yeah there's still a shit ton of force coming out of the barrel even if the bullet has no slug

you'd think that would be the very first thing the firearms guy on set would tell an actor

i'm unsure if it's actually a written union regulation

or just like, a policy for some productions

but i've never worked on a show or film where an extra has been allowed to handle a firearm if that extra didn't have firearms training

i myself have firearms training so, i'm qualified to do so if i was playing a cop or something

i've actually seen them shuffle guys roles around, on the set itself, because some kind of miscommunication happened with casting and some guy got cast for a part where he was handling a gun and he didn't have training for it and there was another dude on set who did, so their parts were rapidly switched

with principle actors i guess they don't have that same luxury, but yeah it still seems absurdly irresponsible to give a loaded firearm to any actor who doesn't know what's what

even if it's just got blanks

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    a fucking insane amount of TV shows are set in Manhattan

which ok, it's a very interesting place to set a show

but i wouldn't say there has ever been a shortage of shows/films set there, it feels like half the movies ever made are set there, i cant count the number of times ive seen something wreck the empire state building

They film on my street a lot

@BEAST!'s building is Oscorp in the new Spooderman movies, they just CG'd some forbidding black tower over the Hearst building

In the first Spooderman, when Peter Parker gets out of the subway and goes WHOA, LOOK AT THAT BUILDING, you can see the reflection of the Hearst Tower in the building behind him

v funny such oversight
    hey guys we live in nyc...we're cooler than you

fyi

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    hold on u guys Im running for congress so I can introduce prop gun control legislation

depends on how you define "prop gun"

most prop guns will be just that, a prop that looks like a gun but isn't actually a gun

but when they actually need to fire a gun for a scene i think they generally use real guns with blank cartridges

you sure as shit need to be careful when handling real guns

cut off index fingers of all newborn children

PROP GUN LEGISLATION

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

WTFFFffff

yeah it's too bad. apparently he did not get the memo that blanks can kill you.

seemed like he had a promising career too. even in a campy 80s pbs show he clearly had a lot of charisma.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

WTFFFffff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1JaS-bRBA

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    And that that series which had the premise of "Ben and Locke from Lost are secret agents or something" didn't happen.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL GAMERS

You may now pre-purchase Transistor on Steam.

For those that don't recognize the name, Transistor is the next game from the company that made Bastion, and it features the same narrator voice actor too. This time it's set in a super-stylized cyberpunk sort of setting.

• Options
    I gotta say I have a lot of respect for Joss Whedon as the Avengers head writer and shit because apparently during production of Avengers 1 he was like

I don't get Cap, I see him as the Ultimates version (where he's this racist/sexist grumbly old man), what do

and his solution was to talk to the guy who wrote the Winter Soldier saga and figure it out and stuff

instead of just shrugging and shitting on the character

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

anything in there that makes a sequel series impossible can p easily be written off or ignored

I agree on the 'fun ride'/'its done'. The last season destroyed any continuity to the character of buffy.
    Wait, how? What happened that changed her drastically?

• Options
    a lot of shows use airsoft stuff as prop guns these days

they're good because they look real but you really can't kill with one

you could be blinded if you took a hit square in the eyeball but i don't believe a standard gun has the force to do more than that

the only problem is when you get prop guys who don't know about guns buying airsoft stuff, like in doctor who i noticed they have a habit of using hi-capas, great airsoft guns but not actually based on anything real and they have huge comical "XTREME .45" logo on the side

/facepalm

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

YNczy84.jpg

it was sort of an american take on the original premise of Doctor Who, which was "have adventures in history". from back when pbs took their education mandate really seriously.

the premise is that there's a dude named Phineas Bogg who is a handsome "Voyager" who is sent through time to fix things that didn't go the way they were supposed to. somehow he also picked up a young orphan named jeffrey to help him out. so they go through time and roguish phineas romances all the ladies (chastely, this was 1980s pbs) while earnest jeffrey tells him what kind of history was supposed to happen.

they never say where phineas is from - but he knows absolutely nothing about history or really anything. he doesn't know what a clutch on a car is. he doesn't know who mark twain is. he doesn't know what poker is. with his broad surfer-dude accent i guess he must be from some cali commune where he was kept in a shed for 20 years before being loosed on the world.

it's low-budget and silly, but they really manage to pack a lot of history into the episodes. one giving the history of flight had the pair bouncing between WWI and the wright brothers and meeting eddie richenbacher. another focusing on slavery had them bouncing between spartacus and harriet tubman and young mark twain.

edit: oh something fun i foget: phineas' acting direction is clearly "be like han solo". that is exactly what he does. he even uses "kid" all the time.

That reminds me as a kid growing up I loved Mathnet on PBS. It was like Dragnet only the detectives used math to solve crimes and always wore blue suit jackets. The other show I watched in my pre-teens that I even had my parents watching every night at supper was...

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego might be the pinnacle of children's educational entertainment.

I never watched Mathnet, but Carmen Sandiego was the fucking shit.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Though to be frank, those tumblr girl fandoms can get kinda crazy. Like woah. But unless they directly affect your viewing experience. They're pretty harmless.

• Options

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

Angel was p great

The only reason to make a new buffy show is to pull in the old buffy fans. If you ignore a ton of cannon material from another medium that the die hards read, noone is going to watch it. If they didnt get whedon to do it people would pitch fits.

my feeling is i like the universe and feel more stories could be told in it

but im done with all the characters from buffy/angel

they had their runs

• Options

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

Angel was p great

my feeling is i like the universe and feel more stories could be told in it

but im done with all the characters from buffy/angel

they had their runs

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    jk simmons is so great

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

chris-evans-captain-america.jpeg

dat taper

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    What if we want ghosts in our bedroom?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

YNczy84.jpg

the premise is that there's a dude named Phineas Bogg who is a handsome "Voyager" who is sent through time to fix things that didn't go the way they were supposed to.

Netflix-1989-00213

?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The first time a friend took us to the gun range we were all thoroughly warned about handling them, just as loserforhirex said. A buddy of mine had his gun jam and went to set it on the table in front of him pointing down range as instructed. It went off and shot into the ceiling. Shook the guy up pretty bad.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

also he is fine as fuq

I mean damn

chris-evans-captain-america.jpeg

dat taper

That's the important part!

Captain Abs... <3

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

YNczy84.jpg

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego might be the pinnacle of children's educational entertainment.

I never watched Mathnet, but Carmen Sandiego was the fucking shit.

I think Mathnet was a part of a show called Square 1 that was very math centric. It was pretty cool though.

But Carmen Sandiego...holy crap I wanted to be one of those kids so bad when I was younger. Knowing all that geography and trivia and getting wear the cool coats (and yes, fedoras).

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
This discussion has been closed.