Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Turns out that not working is fucking wonderful. I strongly endorse pottering around garden centres and gyming rather than working in the science mines.

yes not working is fuckin amazing

everybody is always like waaa without job i get bored and im like holy shit u borin ass muthafuka

Yeah, I just want more money; else I'd
    tumblr_lehgzxRSfx1qzco2j.gif.

http://i.imgur.com/saJLdL5.gif

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Like AFI's top 10 movies of all time there's 2 movies that aren't dark and/or end badly.

Or Best picture winners from the 1970s
    Patton - ageneral with anger issues who assaults a shell shocked soldier who keeps losing out because he can't control himself
    The French Connection - undercover, brutalizing cops with a twist climax
    The Godfather - organized crime as protagonists, corrupting influences of his family
    The Sting - con men and betrayal
    Godfather Part II - organized crime, corruption etc etc
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - ends with the protagonist lobotomized
    Rocky - closest thing to a happy movie, a brain damaged fighter doesn't lose to a champion
    Annie Hall - neurotic new yorker can't make his relationships work
    Deer Hunter - Vietnam movie that hinges on the war's brutality and suicide
    Kramer v Kramer - movie about a vicious divorce

critical acclaim traditionally sits on the unexpected or the brutally realist, especially in the 1970s as a reaction to what cinema had previously been

And some of that is pretty skewed. The Sting really isn't a dark movie. It's about con men yes it's not exactly dark. Kramer vs Kramer actually ends pretty well. And while it's a nasty divorce the primary characters are all kind of appalled by it. Annie Hall isn't dark. It's just the 70's and the lighting was bad.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

He's like "Holy cow, the internet"

That scene near the start of Winter Soldier where
    he's not waxing nostalgic about the past, talking about how there's so much less disease and they don't have to boil everything anymore and indeed "Holy cow the internet" was a really nice scene. The biggest regret he has is about losing Peggy, which is a pretty timeless regret.

A good reason for why I like that movie.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    The whole premise with Captain America in the second movie though is that he's a antiquated fossil of old ideals in a modern battleground of cloak and daggers.

The thing that I like about Captain America is that he doesn't go in for the cloak and dagger stuff. I mean, he'll sneak into a building, but he doesn't do the stab you in the back thing.

He's a good character that I always thought was lame, but the more I'm exposed to, the more I like. I like his kind of tragedy, and I like his motivations.

yeah captain america is actually good not because u take him and go llol wat a jingoistic fuckhead but precisely because he is an perfect version of a certain type of 1940s american masculine ideal - strong, honourable, capable, but also humble because he has memories of being weak and so on - but nonetheless he is totally out of his time. so first u get the shift of things that to him will seem harmless but will seem either funny at best or downright chauvanistic at worse, and the total disconnection between him and this world that has changed in all these truly bizarre ways.

and thats kewl. the more respect the writers have for the character the more interesting he gets, because he is one of the few characters who can be run as a boy scout and nonetheless be interesting; because hes not this years model of boy scout!

Also because Cap adapts

He's not all "Ugh, this modern world with your women who wear these things and these uppity blacks" like Mark Millar's Cap did.

Yeah, it's cool because he is about the ideology, not the circumstances of his time.

I did like the Ultimate Cap where he was a little darker, with the beating the crap out of spousal abusers.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL GAMERS

You may now pre-purchase Transistor on Steam.

For those that don't recognize the name, Transistor is the next game from the company that made Bastion, and it features the same narrator voice actor too. This time it's set in a super-stylized cyberpunk sort of setting.

not for ios

not for xbone

such bullshit

Bastion can run in a browser, so pretty much any computer on the planet will be able to play it.

i talked to the transistor people at pax

and was like

"disappoint"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i wonder how miserable life would be trying to get that body without the use of PEDs. Chicken Breasts & hardboiled eggs for every meal!

i dunno i didn't find it that hard

flexes

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

For those that don't recognize the name, Transistor is the next game from the company that made Bastion, and it features the same narrator voice actor too. This time it's set in a super-stylized cyberpunk sort of setting.

not for ios

not for xbone

such bullshit

Bastion can run in a browser, so pretty much any computer on the planet will be able to play it.

and was like

"disappoint"

aw i'd love to play more games on my ipad

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Turns out that not working is fucking wonderful. I strongly endorse pottering around garden centres and gyming rather than working in the science mines.

everybody is always like waaa without job i get bored and im like holy shit u borin ass muthafuka

I always say I would get bored without a job, because that's what's expected and makes me seem unlazy.

Really though if I were independently wealthy I would sit at home naked and play video games all day and I would love it.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

And his patriotism is aspirational. People tend to assume it's "America, love it or leave it" but it's really much more about the idea of what America could be. And pushing towards that rather then assuming nothing needs changing.

Civil War arc.

Fuckhead industrialist supports the government he bought and pair for. Probably got a few tax cuts in return.

Captain America fights against lawfully elected US government because he refuses to compromise his (very American) principles.

The Secret Empire storyline. Cap finds out the goverment he works for is being controlled by puppets and while he fights it, he also gives up his mantle in disgust. The Civil War stuff....is just so fucking retarded.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @surrealitycheck‌ hahahhahaha look at this f'n awesome event flyer

nsfw-ish
    10245481_10152799991668574_3505850438632724058_n.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

not for ios

not for xbone

such bullshit

and was like

"disappoint"

aw i'd love to play more games on my ipad

i will never be done bitching about the games i like on PC that would easily run on my tablet not being on my tablet

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    They should bring Buffy back.

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

i say this as a fan of the show

it had its run

I actually didn't like much beyond the third season...

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

Buffy the next generation would be good

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

we follow a new slayer and a new cast of interesting demon supporting cast
    The way the show ended makes that impossible

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

i never read the comic books that came after the show

i dont think most people who watched the show did

anything in there that makes a sequel series impossible can p easily be written off or ignored

I agree on the 'fun ride'/'its done'. The last season destroyed any continuity to the character of buffy.
    Wait, how? What happened that changed her drastically?

I'm a little foggy, but basically the character's attitude, motivations and power changed between every episode. this leaks into the season before the final too I believe?

So, gigantic spoilers
    She dies. They resurrect her a long time later despite the entire series except the end of the first season saying how bad of an idea that is. She gets really pissed off, because she was in heaven. She's actively angry with everyone who did it. She then flip flops every episode the entire last season between being useless, being angry and useless, forming an army and then not giving a shit about them, being gung ho leader, and being a badass. Theres a super vampire, and it kicks her ass. like she had no chance what so ever. So what happens the next episode? she sets up an arena for her 'students' and goes 'check this out', tricks super vampire into showing up, and beats the shit out of it. Theres no indication of how or why it is possible.

Its like they had 4 writers, and they were all put in seperate rooms, and told 'bill, write episode 6, 9 and 11.' and then 'jeremy, write 1,2,7.' and a season got made.

The actual finale wasn't awful, and better than it could have been given how the show was going.

I am a huge Buffy fan--hell, I did some writing for the RPG back in the day--but the last season is practically unwatchable for me. It just makes no sense given ehatbyou mentioned above or from a what-is-the-villains-plot standpoint either. (I just assume the big bad is playing the long game and wants the outcome that occurred...)

You can really tell that the writers were unsure for half the year as to whether or not the Faith/Spike spinoff was going to happen.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options

I always say I would get bored without a job, because that's what's expected and makes me seem unlazy.

Really though if I were independently wealthy I would sit at home naked and play video games all day and I would love it.

I can only handle it for so long. I mean, I need my leisure time. But I need to be doing something. Mostly it's been going to school. That's enough for me.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    You know as many sloppy blowjobs as Joss Whedon got back in the day for feminism and his writing for female characters and shit

Buffy herself was actually a really shitty character who was kinda hollow and badly written, and Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't a fantastic actress and was generally the weakest part of the whole show. The show was as good as it was because the supporting cast was phenomenal, and the more the show focused on the whole of them the better it was.

Angel was a better show because David Boreanaz is a better actor and because in general it was better written, and because Angel is a more interesting character who was a little more consistent and had more depth to him (it's the reality of one character being a centuries-old vampire with a soul versus another being some weird not-cheerleader-stereotype-superhero-something-what-is-her-archetype-I-can't-remember-I-guess-she's-"strong"?)

Firefly was really an ensemble show (Whedon's strength, clearly), but the main protagonist was obviously Mal. Mal was the main character and he was an interesting one. Firefly was good but it was a flash in the pan and got a kind of shitty movie to wrap it up a way that I felt was really beneath the series. The movie focused heavily on River but not so much on her as a character but more like her as an idea. She was a plot device and only really became like a character towards the end.

Then there's Dollhouse, where Echo is literally the worst part of the show and Eliza Dushku is a bad actress who was given some serious heavy lifting to do that she was not up to the task of. Dollhouse was salvageable because, like Buffy, it had a fantastic supporting cast with some really good actors who were pretty well-written and had some really interesting characters. It had a fascinating cyberpunk-into-post-apocalyptic plotline and some other cool stuff going on there, but Dushku and her character of Echo was the worst part of the show.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dat 70s look

women so hairy they get moustache

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I was about to make a joke like "Man if there were really a super-soldier serum you could inject and get that body I'd be ..."

Oh wait those are called steroids

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

I can only handle it for so long. I mean, I need my leisure time. But I need to be doing something. Mostly it's been going to school. That's enough for me.

Realistically, if you didn't have to worry about money, I'm sure you'd find something to do.

Like, having time to travel around the world would be awesome. If you live in or near a major city like DC or even a lesser one like New York, there's always unique and interesting things going on. There are tons of resources to learn new languages or musics and other art or whatever you want.

I think you might get a period of ennui in the tradition, where you're going from a 9-5 job and predictable schedule to suddenly having tons of free time and unsure of how to spend it, but once you get over that it'd be great.

• Options

I just, like, do stuff on my leisure-time.
    Even the same activity sucks more when I have to do stuff.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, Serenity was almost totally the wrong tone for Firefly. There were a few scenes that fitted, but most of it was far too generic.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I want them to make a silver age Green Arrow movie complete with boxing glove arrows and everything, with a tone somewhere between Zombieland and Kickass.

Actually just ridiculous super-campy silver age movies for all the heroes. Except Superham. Superham can go rot, because he is the most utterly boring and stupid hero of them all.

green arrow vs harley quinn face off where she is only allowed inflatable hammers and he is only allowed boxing glove arrows

This sort of happened in the new 52, and it was epic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    my boss just told us she got an offer to go to another company, and told her boss

and that she'd think about it overnight and let us know etc

she wouldn't tell us unless she'd decided, right?

she's been micromanaging the fuck out of us for the last couple of months, so this might be a nice change until I can do my CS degree and gtfo

It's letting the company know it has 24 hours for a counter offer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Transistor is the only game I'm really hopeful about. It looked pretty fun at PAX.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i wonder how miserable life would be trying to get that body without the use of PEDs. Chicken Breasts & hardboiled eggs for every meal!

i dunno i didn't find it that hard

flexes

*looks down at paunch*

*raises ruined shoulder and lets it limply fall*

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Professor needs to hurry up so I can go home and sleep.

Cinders on
  • Options
    One of my favorite things about the Marvel Universe is that being trained by Captain America counts as a superpower.

• Options

Realistically, if you didn't have to worry about money, I'm sure you'd find something to do.

Like, having time to travel around the world would be awesome. If you live in or near a major city like DC or even a lesser one like New York, there's always unique and interesting things going on. There are tons of resources to learn new languages or musics and other art or whatever you want.

I think you might get a period of ennui in the tradition, where you're going from a 9-5 job and predictable schedule to suddenly having tons of free time and unsure of how to spend it, but once you get over that it'd be great.

Yeah....

I don't like going out and doing stuff mostly.

I'm a shut in.

I would travel some. But not much.

If I had infinite moneys I would just learn fucking everything I could. I would be so well educated.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Like AFI's top 10 movies of all time there's 2 movies that aren't dark and/or end badly.

Or Best picture winners from the 1970s
    Patton - ageneral with anger issues who assaults a shell shocked soldier who keeps losing out because he can't control himself
    The French Connection - undercover, brutalizing cops with a twist climax
    The Godfather - organized crime as protagonists, corrupting influences of his family
    The Sting - con men and betrayal
    Godfather Part II - organized crime, corruption etc etc
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - ends with the protagonist lobotomized
    Rocky - closest thing to a happy movie, a brain damaged fighter doesn't lose to a champion
    Annie Hall - neurotic new yorker can't make his relationships work
    Deer Hunter - Vietnam movie that hinges on the war's brutality and suicide
    Kramer v Kramer - movie about a vicious divorce

critical acclaim traditionally sits on the unexpected or the brutally realist, especially in the 1970s as a reaction to what cinema had previously been

And some of that is pretty skewed. The Sting really isn't a dark movie. It's about con men yes it's not exactly dark. Kramer vs Kramer actually ends pretty well. And while it's a nasty divorce the primary characters are all kind of appalled by it. Annie Hall isn't dark. It's just the 70's and the lighting was bad.

The point being it wasn't pastels and saccharine good guy wins black and white stuff. It was conflicted stuff about compromised characters in a world where gray is pretty common.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    lol @Vanguard‌

http://hudsonhongo.com/joyce/

10'/10 i'm da besssssss

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Also because Cap adapts

That scene near the start of Winter Soldier where
    he's not waxing nostalgic about the past, talking about how there's so much less disease and they don't have to boil everything anymore and indeed "Holy cow the internet" was a really nice scene. The biggest regret he has is about losing Peggy, which is a pretty timeless regret.

A good reason for why I like that movie.

I agree, the end of the first movie was awful, because they took this really touching and amazing moment that was well played, and super quick cut to this heroic propaganda themed credits and it was gross. I was really pissed they did that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Agents of SHIELD, which I think you discarded early on Pony, is still pretty ropey, but redeemed itself a bit around episode 12. It suffers pretty badly from how boring most of the cast are, and Clark Gregg does a lot of the heavy lifting to keep it enjoyable. But when it gets into Coulson's actual myth arc, as well as tying itself into the new Cap movie, it does a lot better.

For better or worse, they manage to tie the earlier monster of the week eps into the overarching plot.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Even chores are better when I can "nope" because I feel like it, and sit with a snack, staring out the window for the rest of the day like an elderly.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hell not having to worry about money means that you could still do "work". But now you can do the work you want and not what you have to do to make ends meet. Look, now I can run a comic / gaming shop that doesn't make hardly any profit! Now I can take people on charter fishing trips without worrying about business costs!

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

Also because Cap adapts

Too much hyperbole! Millar's Cap is not a racist! He is a bit chauvanistic in certain circumstances, but he is depicted as being from the 40s in a less idealized way!

I love 616 and movie Cap, I do. I do not feel that this requires me to pretend Millar's approach to Cap puts him as a Klan member piece of shit. You babies.

And I'm not even a Millar fan, Civil War sucked, Wanted sucked, Kickass was eh, but Ultimates was great!

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    If I had infinite money, I'd build an army of robots.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i've found a good use for the steam wishlist

since i've decided i'm done with early access games i'm using it to keep track off all the stuff i think looks interesting rather than buying it and being disappointed because it's unfinished and rubbish

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I want them to make a silver age Green Arrow movie complete with boxing glove arrows and everything, with a tone somewhere between Zombieland and Kickass.

Actually just ridiculous super-campy silver age movies for all the heroes. Except Superham. Superham can go rot, because he is the most utterly boring and stupid hero of them all.

green arrow vs harley quinn face off where she is only allowed inflatable hammers and he is only allowed boxing glove arrows

This sort of happened in the new 52, and it was epic.

also
    kibXbQz.jpg

and

VDNhou9.png

and

KlwbnX7.png
    AYyjhOe.png
    ADqsutO.png
    nVUSjA4.png
    OURKZ3v.png

mkOwv2F.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Apparently the Ant-Man movie is not about Hank Pym?

Hank Pym is the asshole super-scientist, right? The one who is violent with his wife and a complete dick?

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Ok there is something I am obviously not getting with firefly and why people like it because I thought the show was a slow droll with a bit of funny witty dialogue here or there but I liked the movie far more just because the opening scene in the movie set the tone, most of the characters and their shticks in a succinct and timely fashion that did not waste my time, rest of the movie was crap though. Maybe I should have watched the show first? Right now the first thing I remember watching the show was me noticing they were using the starship trooper armor for the government grunts and my sister I doing the whole "no way" "yes way" *google pictures* "I don't see the similarity ".

• Options
    Apparently the Ant-Man movie is not about Hank Pym?

Hank Pym is the asshole super-scientist, right? The one who is violent with his wife and a complete dick?

Kinda. But he's not the only person to wear the mantle.

• Options
    Oh Diggle....

This discussion has been closed.