Options

[MTG] Hey, soul sister

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the number of times i had someone say "let's just call it game" while adding up the rabblemaster bonus power was disproportionately high

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It was only a 4-person New Player draft, so the pool is skewed, but this deck was a bit obscene

row7yjqxhz0o.png

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hahahahahaha, HAAAAA HA HA HA! PAUPER!

Pauper is an eternal format, do not assume that cards/decks suck just because they're made of commons. The two most popular decks are DELVER and MONOBLACK CONTROL. There are a ton of tier 1.5 decks around, such as Esper Familiar Combo, Burn, Affinity, Goblins, Boros Artifact Bullshit, and a bunch of other things.

Fundamental thing of the format is creatures need to do something when they come onto the battlefield, because baneslayer angel is a mythic. The quintessential example of that is MULLDRIFTER! Almost every creature that's played in pauper is like mulldrifter. Pick a deck and I can get more specific.

I, uh, assumed no such thing.

I just assumed its cheaper, which it is, judging by mtggoldfish. I could build Delver for like, 30 tix? I just don't know what I'd like to play and how to pilot the decks. It's not like Standard where I've watched enough videos and read enough articles that I at least can figure out what decks are trying to do.

I have no idea what these pauper decks are up to.

I mean Delver seems fun. It has Counterspell in its list so that's right up my alley.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I wasn't saying you were assuming that, just a lot of people do. Everything in pauper is about attrition, about card advantage. Even when I played Slivers it was never about being explosive (at least in most matchups against tier 1 decks). I've won games with Goblins by milling.

Delver owns, you have all the legacy cantrips and the crazy play of turn 2 play cloud of fairies leave up counterspell or spellstutter sprite.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I really like mono green aggro but I have a very difficult time against slivers with that deck

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    What's this? 8-1?

Jalira is my girl.

The most hilarious deck. I think I won tonight by surprise factor.

Mull'd to 4 in the last match, never had to do that before.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So

I'm waiting until Rotation to dive in with the cash to build an actual for reals competitive Standard deck

I'm really enjoying Limited but want something else where I can enter tournaments, hopefully win packs ( that I can draft with) and try to just learn a set deck. I do enjoy becoming familiar with a deck.

So I'm considering trying out Pauper. It's affordable, competitive and seems neat in concept. But I don't really know much about what the decks are, how they work and how to pilot them and what is like to play.

Any of you folks play pauper that can give me some "getting started" info?

Do you want to play a blue deck that gets to play this, this, this, and this? Because I already know you do.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    @nightmarenny I'll see you at WMCQ tomorrow probably! Anyone else who's going, good luck!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The Betman wrote: »
    nightmarenny I'll see you at WMCQ tomorrow probably! Anyone else who's going, good luck!

...BUT NOT AS GOOD AS MINE!!!! is the end of that sentence

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    I imagine The Betman is a wrestling heel.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    @nightmarenny I'll see you at WMCQ tomorrow probably! Anyone else who's going, good luck!

I got 4 hours of sleep last night worked 9 to 530 and then couldn't sleep tonight and yet...

I feel ready. Good Luck Betman! I'll be one of the jerks in the Gir shirt!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I imagine The Betman is a wrestling heel.

i'm the wrestling champ a t m

The prize structure for this event, btw:

1st Place: $1,200 + invite and Airfare to World Magic Cup
    2nd Place: $1,200
    3rd/4th: $800
    5th-8th: $500
    9th-16th: $150
    17th-32nd: $75
    33rd-64th: $50

• Options
    Geth knows i'm the goddamn champ

• Options
    All cutting promos about betting against The Betman is a bad bet.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Oh also they apparently (and retroactively) changed the prize structure for New Player phantom drafts - it used to be only the winner got anything, a single 5-card pack. Not that great, and basically made the events single-elimination. Now the winner gets 5 5-card packs, you get 3 packs for one match-win, and 1 pack for 0 wins. Encourages everyone to play the second round, which is nice.

• Options
    Ill be in the bright yellow Cm Punk shirt.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    So

I'm waiting until Rotation to dive in with the cash to build an actual for reals competitive Standard deck

I'm really enjoying Limited but want something else where I can enter tournaments, hopefully win packs ( that I can draft with) and try to just learn a set deck. I do enjoy becoming familiar with a deck.

So I'm considering trying out Pauper. It's affordable, competitive and seems neat in concept. But I don't really know much about what the decks are, how they work and how to pilot them and what is like to play.

Do you want to play a blue deck that gets to play this, this, this, and this? Because I already know you do.

Good lord, man. I'm in public! How am I supposed to hide this erection?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Man, I wish there was a pauper scene here.

If it's once thing that could get me into MTGO... It's that.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Man, I wish there was a pauper scene here.

If it's once thing that could get me into MTGO... It's that.

Modo pauper is hot

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, Pauper Dailies are coming back on the weekends, should lead to some actual play and innovation in the format. Also, my local store didn't have a pauper scene until a dude built it out of nothing. You can do the same thing if you try.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Yea, Pauper Dailies are coming back on the weekends, should lead to some actual play and innovation in the format. Also, my local store didn't have a pauper scene until a dude built it out of nothing. You can do the same thing if you try.

But, see, dude.

That means I have to do stuff and not have it done for me!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    So

Goddamn wizards makes some dumb decisions

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    So

Goddamn wizards makes some dumb decisions

Yeah not printing stuff like that anymore is dumb!

Preordain has Scry right on it! Should have been reprinted in Theros! UW Control would run it!

• Options
    I may have just dumped the 4 bte hand on a poor monoblue player on turn 2 and mortars their only blocker. 2-0 after 2 rounds.

• Options
    I may have just dumped the 4 bte hand on a poor monoblue player on turn 2 and mortars their only blocker. 2-0 after 2 rounds.

Did you apologize afterwards? Because that is a play that requires an apology.

• Options
    No I'm a heel. I just played against slivers, angered away his board while I had frostburn down and killed him. 3-0!

• Options
    the only time I ever apologized on a 4 BTE hand was when it was a zero lander keep and drew 3 land

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Not doing so great. Currently 1-2 and feeling under prepared and tired as all fuck. Might drop and play modern. I could pilot living end in my sleep which is a plus.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    What did you bring for Standard @nightmarenny?

• Options
    3-1, Jund walkers is 2real

• Options
    I mean the real issue was his insane top decks versus me not drawing anything

• Options
    edited August 2014
    5-2 THEY CANNOT ELIMINATE ME

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    What did you bring for Standard @nightmarenny?

Monogreen. It was a late change though and my work has been pushing me a lot this week so I didn't get much prep time with the deck.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    That fuckin sucks.

• Options
    Ended 6-4. Missed cashing out by 1 round. Rd10 was against monogreen devotion. He made 40 mana on the last turn.

• Options
    Ended 6-4. Missed cashing out by 1 round. Rd10 was against monogreen devotion. He made 40 mana on the last turn.

pssh, 40

when he beats my record of 91 he will know what it is truly like to play solitaire

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    :'(

• Options
    unrelated but I think I figured out a way to break geralf as a commander, but it requires thornbite staff and having ashnods/phyrexian altar makes it way better

you exile up to 2 dudes, and must make a zombie regardless. so if you whiff or willingly make a 0/0 it will die, and he untaps and you can go again

but if you have one of the sac altars you can keep exiling peoples shit, make the token, sac it for mana, and then hit everyone again for U since the altar will cover the colorless

I mean maybe not "break" him but thats certainly a start

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    @Kwoaru I have acquired my third Tarmogoyf. The corruption is almost complete.

• Options
    Currently 2-1 in the modern ptq. Woooooo!

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.