As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Hey, soul sister

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm working on this deck here, trying to get it ready for some FNM. I'd would love some input from you guys.

Its a R/W Heroic Aggro Deck. I have a few ways of winning by turn 5. And a lot of ways to keep the board clear in case I don't win early.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-14-to-victory-1/

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I dont think Godsend is a very good card for what you wanna do. It's a 6 mana investment that you can be using for more pump cards. Launch the Fleet is probably very good in the mainboard and not the maybeboard, and its definitely better than Martial Glory. I don't know what number of Iroas you really want....

It's probably worth ditching Twinflame altogether, too. I don't think it's going to be big enough to warrant keeping around. Ajani's Presence and Fall of the Hammer are both definitely good enough to be mainboard cards.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    godsend is not for aggro, godsend is a card for a midrange/control deck that doesn't currently exist

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It's doubtful that Godsend will ever find a place in Constructed. Equip costs greater than 2 tend to be a bad omen; Batterskull skirts this issue by virtue of only superficially being a piece of Equipment.

I feel like Loxodon Warhammer may have had a time to shine, but otherwise it's a lot of 3 or less to cast and Equip 2 — a standard seemingly dictated by the Swords (of X and Y).

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    probably want more creatures total, yeah?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    My favorite thing:

"Hey newish player, why don't you play Legacy? I am sure you have $2000 just laying around."

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My favorite thing:

"Hey newish player, why don't you play Legacy? I am sure you have $2000 just laying around."

"But it's cheaper in the long run!"

Just pick a deck you know nothing about for a format you know nothing about.

• Options
    I would recommend someone play MTG for like 9 months before trying to get into an eternal format, then choose either Modern or Legacy, and spend some cash each month buying cards into the format they want.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I kind of fell into that trap on MTGO a little (despite having played paper years ago). Luckily I didn't spend much on the deck (like I think maybe just another $10 or something just for funs, no tournaments), then my brother and I encountered the infinite mana on turn 2 etc and to pauper we went.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    I sometimes feel weird because I have no interest in EDH .

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I would recommend someone play MTG for like 9 months before trying to get into an eternal format, then choose either Modern or Legacy, and spend some cash each month buying cards into the format they want.

modern is quickly coming to the point where it is getting into legacy level costs for decks :(

• Options
    Like one time I sort of was interested in building a Bruna deck, then was told that I would probably get shit on by the local EDH community for playing Bruna. Kinda NOPE'd my way out of the format after that.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

modern is quickly coming to the point where it is getting into legacy level costs for decks :(

Yeah, but at least WOTC has control over Modern prices by doing reprints, even if they are a bit slow in doing them.

• Options
    Like one time I sort of was interested in building a Bruna deck, then was told that I would probably get shit on by the local EDH community for playing Bruna. Kinda NOPE'd my way out of the format after that.

make a memnarch affinity deck and tell those people to go fuck themselves

• Options

To be fair I was going to build a Bruna deck as a slow, control type build.

• Options

nowhere near as rude as augustin or memnarch or sen triplets or kaalia

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

Or Omnath, Asuza, Lost but Seeking, Zur the Enchanter, Oloro, Animar, Nekusar the Mindrazer, Niv-Mizzet the Firemind, Mayeal the Anima, Sharuum the Hedgemon, Azami, Lady of Scrolls, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Rafiq of the Many, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, Maelstrom Wanderer, The Mimeoplasm, Skitherix, the Blight Dragon, Riku of Two Reflections, Krenko, Mob Boss, or Karn, Silver Golem.

A Bruna deck can be good, but it is hardly a broken general compared to the stuff above.

My Ob Nixilus, the Fallen deck gets some complaints sometimes, usually when I Death Cloud for 5 with Crucible of Worlds, Sol Ring, Grim Monolith, and Mox Diamond out on turn 3. That deck still isn't T1 (maybe 1.5).

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    haven't played in forever, finally got some recent matches in with my buddy via lackey

green devotion is pretty fun atm

also fun: dumb market festival ramp decks that drop turn 4 double walkers in nissa and fat garruk, even after missing that turn's land drop

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

I have tried, many times, to get into EDH.

Ultimately the problem is that I just don't like singleton.

• Options

You could play Nekusar. Half your cards say "Do X damage when cards are drawn" and the other half say "Draw 7 cards".

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

I thought I would have this problem, but there are so many redundant card effects and tutors that your games actually play out fairly similarly, like a 60 card Constructed deck.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    EDH being a singleton format is what got me into it. It gave me a place to use all the singles I'd collected playing random drafts with my friends. Though a 100 card decks? Sometimes I find it a bit unwieldy but if it had the standard 60 card deck size I doubt you'd see some of the more odd cards being used.

• Options
    play a relentless rats or shadowborn apostle deck

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The Betman wrote: »
    I dont think Godsend is a very good card for what you wanna do. It's a 6 mana investment that you can be using for more pump cards. Launch the Fleet is probably very good in the mainboard and not the maybeboard, and its definitely better than Martial Glory. I don't know what number of Iroas you really want....

It's probably worth ditching Twinflame altogether, too. I don't think it's going to be big enough to warrant keeping around. Ajani's Presence and Fall of the Hammer are both definitely good enough to be mainboard cards.

I was already planning on ditching Martial Glory for Launch the Fleet for rotation, so thats good news.

I like the idea of Godsend, but yea, I have to agree that its a bit too expensive and basically does exactly what Iroas and Hammerfist already do.
    Ajani's Presence is also a rotation spot taker from Boros Charm. I just don't know if I also want to have Fall of the Hammer and what to replace for it.

And post-rotation this seems to be turning from a R/W into W with a splash of R.

pawa24 on
  • Options
    fall of the hammer should functionally be a lightning strike that triggers heroic, but that requires a dude on board to use

it's not perfect removal but it's very good removal for a heroic deck specifically

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yea, I have it in my sideboard for when I need direct removal that Ajani's Presence doesn't provide.
    I forsee this working very well against creature based decks. Although Gods Willing is amazing against control, so we shall see.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular

is it ok if I play Kaalia but focus on destroying everything instead of actually winning

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Gods willing doesn't protect against sweepers. Ajani's Presence is gonna be way better in a lot of matchups, I think.

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gods willing doesn't protect against sweepers. Ajani's Presence is gonna be way better in a lot of matchups, I think.

Especially now that UW seems to be favoring Planar Cleansing over Banishing Light/DSphere. Pretty much the only removal it doesn't work on is Ajani's Presence.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Or Omnath, Asuza, Lost but Seeking, Zur the Enchanter, Oloro, Animar, Nekusar the Mindrazer, Niv-Mizzet the Firemind, Mayeal the Anima, Sharuum the Hedgemon, Azami, Lady of Scrolls, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Rafiq of the Many, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, Maelstrom Wanderer, The Mimeoplasm, Skitherix, the Blight Dragon, Riku of Two Reflections, Krenko, Mob Boss, or Karn, Silver Golem.

That sounds like a who's who of my friend's commanders.

I finally had to break down and build an Omnath deck just to compete, and I gotta tell ya, Omnath into Hornet Queen into Overwhelming Stampede was glorious. When I finally put Helix Pinnacle in the deck, I realized I had probably taken things too far and dismantled it.

And don't forget Sliver Overlord.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I like building dumb midrange decks for commander, but it's a shame you guys have had such unlucky experiences with it.

We could always organise a cockatrice/skype night once a week and just have a couple of drinks and bullshit back and forth if anyone is interested.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Leaked art and card names for Intro Pack front-rares

There is only one thing that matters, and that is the fact that there is a card (apparently a goblin?) named "Ankle Shanker"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so I'm going camping this weekend and like any good camper I want to bring some magic decks so we have something to do when the majesty of nature becomes simply too much

I also don't want to worry about losing anything of value in the woods so I want to build some pauper decks

Anybody know some fun pauper decks that can be built entirely (or mostly) with just RTR and Theros block cards? Because those are all I have

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    A while ago some friends and I played a peasant-style Standard format where you make a 40 card deck with 4 uncommons, 1 rare, and the rest are commons. You could expand that to make 60 card decks (maybe 6-8 uncommons, 2-3 rares?); I made a white bestow/Ethereal Armor weenie deck (rare was Spear of Heliod), a green devotion deck (rare was Wild Beastmaster) and a black devotion deck (i forget what the rare was, but with Gary it doesn't really matter).

• Options

I guess this is true.

Someone was saying that I should put some more creatures. I was thinking Akroan Skyguard would be perfect, but I'm not sure what to cut for it. Probably a instant/sorcery since I want to keep enchantments for Hero of Iroas and Eidilon of Countless Battles.

• Options
    Do you have an updated list I can look at?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yea I'll update it and repost the link.
    Edit: Here you go.
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-14-to-victory-1/

pawa24 on
  • Options
    WuShock wrote: »

And don't forget Sliver Overlord.

Slivers can be gross in EDH, but I think Child of Alara, Horde of Notions, and Progenitus are scarier 5C generals.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I think the new sliver as the commander pushed them over the top

The indestructability is pretty real

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I think the new sliver as the commander pushed them over the top

The indestructability is pretty real

In think Sliver Overlord is still the best commander. You can use it to tutor for Hivelord, or Queen, or Legion, or whatever answer you need.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

This discussion has been closed.