Options

[PS Vita] New thread, new Soul to Sacrifice

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    bss wrote: »
    They're both really good! You can't really go wrong. I've owned an OG since launch and picked up a Slim a couple months ago, which is what I use now. I find OLED colors a bit too saturated for my tastes, but black levels look amazing. The Slim is a pretty good IPS display so you still get nice colors, just not with as much "pop" as OLED. For me, my informal judgment is they're close enough that after a bit of use, the one I use looks "normal" and the other one looks "weird". The differences only stand out if you're comparing two Vitas running the same game side by side.

If the units were otherwise identical I'd probably pick the OLED, but I definitely like the feel of the Slim and its other minor improvements, so the form factor beats out a screen comparison slightly in OLED's favor.

This is how I'm starting to lean. Thanks. There's so many positives for me with the 2000 that after a bit I probably wouldn't notice that much.

Do you ever notice any motion blur when playing quick games? The OLED seems rock solid in that way.

If I'm looking for it, there seems to be a very slight amount there, but I can't say I've ever noticed it or been distracted by it in gameplay. Definitely nothing as bad as the various issues PSPs had, if that's a helpful comparison point. But you're right, among those that report noticing it on the Slim, apparently the OLED screen has no issues at all.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Really glad I grabbed the OLED model, I love the colour vs the LCD - that's not to say the LCD is at all bad. Near as I can tell, the only issue for the OLED is playing in a pitch black room, which I never do. I've never had any substantial battery life problems, I just toss it on the charger at night. I think I've seen the warning to plug it in once or twice, I just popped it on a charger while playing on the couch.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    nyko power grip basically totally turned around my usage of the device. it is so annoying and awkward to hold and control without the bonus handles attached. the analog sticks are just too close to the edge of the device for my big dumb hands.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    @bss Has used both, I am pretty sure he likes his new model just as much as the old one if not better. I have played on a new one and I still vastly prefer my OG. The clincher for most people seems to be the screen, and after OLED I just can't bear to make the switch. Proprietary cable and slightly worse battery life notwithstanding.

I'm definitely in the OLED camp. The screen on my GF's slim looks washed out to me, and when she plays the plastic in the thing creaks.

OLED 4 lyfe.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    Do you ever notice any motion blur when playing quick games? The OLED seems rock solid in that way.

I totally notice blur on the Slim. It's nonexistent on the OLED.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    I'm nearing the end of Danganronpa 2!

YES! (Endish of Chapter 6 spoilers):
    All my favorite characters are back, this is like Christmas in Despairtown

• Options
    Finished Danganronpa 2 last night. Really fun game, really loved the last couple chapters where all the shit starts going down.

End-game spoilers:
    Man, I was straight up beaming seeing Kyoko and Byakuya again.

Find it interesting that there were a lot of people suspecting Nagito's identity, I wonder how intentional on the part of the game designers that was after also pulling the swerve with Byakuya. I felt it was at tick too obvious and didn't go down the route of Nagito being Makoto, so my skepticism worked out there, I guess.

Anyway, really liked the ending, it wrapped up the game well while still leaving room for a Danganronpa 3 that can go any variety of ways. Looking forward to post-game and reading Danganronpa IF, which is a nice little bonus I had no idea about.

And it sounds like Danganronpa: Another Episode is pretty good, too --- nice and Danganronpa-style crazy, stylish as all hell as a Vita-origined game, and pretty fun.

The year's winding down and I think Danganronpa 1+2 might just end up being my GOTY. (But there's still a lot to play!) So great.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    @bss‌

Danganronpa Chapter 5 spoilers
    When did you realize exactly how Nagito had trapped you?

• Options
    @bss‌

Danganronpa Chapter 5 spoilers
    When did you realize exactly how Nagito had trapped you?

Hmm,
    I suspected something was going to be up with him from the start when he popped in during the street vendor scene, and pretty much right from the start of the investigation assumed it was a suicide meant to deceive the group because the poison had to play a role somehow, but didn't really put the entirety of the trap together until the trial, when they start doubting Nagito's motives. "Nagito committed suicide, end of story" seemed too easy, but there were too many crazy motives that seemed possible at the start. When Akane says something about the fire grenades, I think I was maybe a step ahead of that revelation, but I'm pretty sure it was around then, mid-trial, that I pieced together the importance of the poison and fire grenades, and that's when I suspected the ruling would be that someone else committed murder. (Which I thought was all an interesting twist on the ruling in Chapter 2.) I remember knowing the nature of the trap by the time Chiaki revealed it, but I think it all finally clicked in that small window.

That actually caused my only big logic failure --- because when the trial started I was convinced the poison was inside the Monokuma doll and broke (perhaps accidentally) as part of the Rube Goldberg machine's chain of events, and thus totally discounted it for the whole "how did Nagito stab his hand?" thing, which I had to restart on and spend forever thinking about.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I realized it when
    Chiaki said something like, "If you think about it, the truth is actually much more horrifying". I hesitated, cocked an eyebrow and it clicked. I went, "Oh, shit." and proceeded to bemoan why cool characters had to keep dying and leave me stuck with Kazuichi.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I realized it when
    Chiaki said something like, "If you think about it, the truth is actually much more horrifying". I hesitated, cocked an eyebrow and it clicked. I went, "Oh, shit." and proceeded to bemoan why cool characters had to keep dying and leave me stuck with Kazuichi.

Heh,
    Yeah, I'd figured it out by then, but yeah, that was a cool moment. Those are the kinds of moments I love Danganronpa for.

Also yeah Kazuichi was kind of a bummer of a character aside from jokes when talking to Sonia.

• Options
    I realized it when

Heh,
    Yeah, I'd figured it out by then, but yeah, that was a cool moment. Those are the kinds of moments I love Danganronpa for.

Also yeah Kazuichi was kind of a bummer of a character aside from jokes when talking to Sonia.
    Kazuichi and Yasuhiro from DR1. ugh

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think you and I figured it out at the same time bss.

And I also did the, "Oh, shit" when I figured it out, Mogs.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    In all honesty,

Overall Danganronpa 2 spoilers
    I think Teruteru is far worse than Kazuichi, because he is ten levels of creepy and, Oh yeah, he killed a guy. It's just that he dies right away and Kazuichi stays alive for the whole game. They were the last two I bothered with for Island Mode (the Hope Fragments, at least, I stopped partway through my first go at ticket grinding) and Teruteru was the very last one I hung out with.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    In all honesty,

I think Teruteru is far worse than Kazuichi, because he is ten levels of creepy and, Oh yeah, he killed a guy. It's just that he dies right away and Kazuichi stays alive for the whole game. They were the last two I bothered with for Island Mode (the Hope Fragments, at least, I stopped partway through my first go at ticket grinding) and Teruteru was the very last one I hung out with.
    Don't get me wrong, Kazuichi is a way better person than Teruteru, the problem is he's just so inconsequential as a character. Like Yasuhiro, here's just there to do nothing other than play one joke and not really go anywhere or serve much of a purpose in any of the cases.

It was funny, though, when Junko is going on her "you're all just bit players" spiel, it did kind of bring home some of my feelings of that seeing Kyoko and Byakuya was a welcome change.

Also the throwaway joke line in the epilogue about Toko made me laugh.

• Options
    In all honesty,

Don't get me wrong, Kazuichi is a way better person than Teruteru, the problem is he's just so inconsequential as a character. Like Yasuhiro, here's just there to do nothing other than play one joke and not really go anywhere or serve much of a purpose in any of the cases.

It was funny, though, when Junko is going on her "you're all just bit players" spiel, it did kind of bring home some of my feelings of that seeing Kyoko and Byakuya was a welcome change.

Yasuhiro was involved in one of the cases, though. He was inside the robot suit, framed for the two murders with the hammers.

• Options
    In all honesty,

Yasuhiro was involved in one of the cases, though. He was inside the robot suit, framed for the two murders with the hammers.
    Oh yeah... Wow. Yasuhiro is a better character than someone! Huh. I guess Kazuichi had a role in Chapter 3, even if it was just setting up the monitors. And he provided Chapter 4 testimony, and built the Mechamaru toy, and that silly joke played better than I thought it would, so I guess he's not totally irredeemable.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Danganronpa 2 progress/thoughts:

- Beginning Trial 3 now. What the fuck.
    - I had a fever yesterday due to food poisoning while playing through the chapter 3 lead up to the trial. Probably the worst combination considering I was a bit delirious here in real life.
    - What the fuck

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    SUP VITA THREAD!
    I stopped coming here for a while because I was busy OBSESSIVELY playing and then obsesively thinking about Dangan Ronpa 2. And stopping myself from clicking any of your spoiler tags was killing me, so I just had to step away from the thread for a while.

Anyhoo, Freakishly wonderful game, Finished it Saturday night and I loved every minute of it. However I'm really, REALLY glad that I finished the main part and can finally rest my mind for a while. .....it was a tough time.

In regards to some things some of you are saying....
    Awww, I loved both Yasu AND Kazu ^^; . I guess I'm just a weakling for goofy dorks like that. Heh. I can't help it, I think it's cute. I think the only character I didn't like really was Nekomaru, but that was only because of his obsession with uh... shit. He was cool as a mecha though.

AND I ended up liking him a bit more because of Island mode. Mostly because his stuff got my fujoshi-mode mind going. heh heh.

*AHEM* Anyhoo, on a non-spoiler note ..... wait. Is this not a spoiler? ...........dammit, gonna put it in spoiler tags anyways, but it's simply about one of the bonuses you get when you beat the game:
    I was super, SUPER surprised that you get a light novel as a bonus prize for beating the game. AND that the novel is by Ryohga Narita the author of Baccano and Durarara, one of my favorite authors! I haven't actually started reading it yet, but I still feel so goddamned happy that it exists.

....though, the fact that this novel is technically the only Narita light novel officially translated for the west is kinda depressing...

sig.gif
  • Options
    Akiba's Trip: Man, the AKB48 fights on Gamer difficulty are no joke.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Just plat'd "Resistance: Burning Skies". It was a really fun game. I've never played another Resistance but this made me reconsider that.

The weapons were fun and I always had to use them all instead of knowing what the best weapon was and using it 99% of the time.

I really liked it.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Well I decided to trade in the OLED and get the slim. So far it's really nice and while I can tell a difference, it's not too bad at all. I do like the trade offs. It's weird though, it's so light and thin I'm having to relearn how to hold it comfortably.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    Well, my Natural Doctrine appears to have arrived a day early, so I guess I know what I'm putzing with for part of the night.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Akiba's Trip: Man, the AKB48 fights on Gamer difficulty are no joke.
    Try it on Otaku!

Never again...Never again...I still hear my charater's screams of pain as she disintegrates in the sun.....many....many times.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Well, my Natural Doctrine appears to have arrived a day early, so I guess I know what I'm putzing with for part of the night.

Impressions, you must give them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hey vita thread i haven't used my vita in a while because i've been busy but i was bored and looking through the shop earlier, are any of the f2p games on the vita any good (other than jetpack joyride)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »

It's, well, here:

natural-doctrine-link-turns.jpg

That's the confirmation screen for one character's turn. Vasily ran up to advance and the other party members can consequently move up alongside and take actions (Link Turns) on their ally's action, and then there's a counterattack resolution phase and similar, still on the first character's (Vasily's, at the bottom left (I think)) turn. So Vasily and Geoff are going to attack, Zeke's going to run from the left to the right and do a whirlwind attack in that square on the right, and Anka is going to shoot. All on Vasily's turn. Then the goblins (next in the initiative tracker at the top) would each take their actions, meaning they'd get to do similar Link Turns, except this is from the tutorial so this is actually engineered such that all the goblins die during this turn as everyone unloads their stuff.

It's kinda complicated! I think I like it so far, though, it's passed some kind of complexity threshold where I'll probably keep at it for a bit because of how mind-boggling it seems right now and how I expect that now that I'm (at least partially) left to my own devices I'm probably screwed. Seems alright though.

Other impressions: the colors are medieval fantasy through and through, but the models and whatnot look pretty nice and the game runs well. There's voice acting, the characters chatter during missions and on the world map and that seems decent so far. I like that they just throw you right into the game and then explain things over a series of (optional, aside from the first) tutorials that run in the battle engine, so you're not jamming through an hour of confusing, context-less menus before you get to do anything. Title screen to gameplay, guided by tutorials. It's nice.

Obviously it's complicated as all get-out and if you read through all the tips right away, they're 40ish long and there's a lot to account for. Aside from the Link Turn stuff, the game seems to be making a big deal on positioning and line of sight, including an incentive to spread out across the field but also keep the squishy characters behind someone taking defensive actions.

So yeah! Kinda daunting so far, but it has been pleasant to this point.

• Options
    hey vita thread i haven't used my vita in a while because i've been busy but i was bored and looking through the shop earlier, are any of the f2p games on the vita any good (other than jetpack joyride)

It didn't do enough for me to keep playing it, but Destiny of Spirits is kinda neat and I know some people in the thread liked it.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I played Destiny of Spirits for a bit but the thing that killed it for me was the slow loading/updating.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    that screenshot of natural doctrine tells me 100% that it is not the game for me

thanks

• Options
    that screenshot of natural doctrine tells me 100% that it is not the game for me

thanks

Yeah, it definitely seems like a thing for people who are hard into SRPGs. I don't usually play them but it hasn't scared me away or bored me yet.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So I may have been bored at work the other night, and noticed a spelling error.

One marker later, and the error was fixed.

CoNP9qz.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how SNK-boss like the final arcade bosses are in Arcana Heartt. Not only does Chain Girl have 100% Arcana meter always and abuse the fuck out of it, but once you win a round she goes THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM and goes into permanent Awakened Arcana to top it off.

Then the actual final battle is hard not because it's super cheap, but because it's a total gimmick fight.

The game's still amazing though, besides cheap CPU bosses.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

This is what I wanted to hear about this game.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Just plat'd "Resistance: Burning Skies". It was a really fun game. I've never played another Resistance but this made me reconsider that.

The weapons were fun and I always had to use them all instead of knowing what the best weapon was and using it 99% of the time.

I really liked it.

If you thought that game was good, buy Resistance: Retribution and play it on your Vita. Best game in the series.

I'm still waiting for Burning Skies to be dirt cheap or on PS+ before I play it. I don't understand why neither have happened so far, seeing as it's over 2 years old.

Anyway, I just started chapter 3 in Danganronpa 2. This game takes me a surprisingly long time to progress through it but I'm enjoying it just as much as the original so far. At this rate, my top two games of the year will be Danganronpa 1 and 2. It's not like any of the big AAA games coming out this year are really offering that much interesting.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

It's, well, here:

natural-doctrine-link-turns.jpg

That's the confirmation screen for one character's turn. Vasily ran up to advance and the other party members can consequently move up alongside and take actions (Link Turns) on their ally's action, and then there's a counterattack resolution phase and similar, still on the first character's (Vasily's, at the bottom left (I think)) turn. So Vasily and Geoff are going to attack, Zeke's going to run from the left to the right and do a whirlwind attack in that square on the right, and Anka is going to shoot. All on Vasily's turn. Then the goblins (next in the initiative tracker at the top) would each take their actions, meaning they'd get to do similar Link Turns, except this is from the tutorial so this is actually engineered such that all the goblins die during this turn as everyone unloads their stuff.

It's kinda complicated! I think I like it so far, though, it's passed some kind of complexity threshold where I'll probably keep at it for a bit because of how mind-boggling it seems right now and how I expect that now that I'm (at least partially) left to my own devices I'm probably screwed. Seems alright though.

Other impressions: the colors are medieval fantasy through and through, but the models and whatnot look pretty nice and the game runs well. There's voice acting, the characters chatter during missions and on the world map and that seems decent so far. I like that they just throw you right into the game and then explain things over a series of (optional, aside from the first) tutorials that run in the battle engine, so you're not jamming through an hour of confusing, context-less menus before you get to do anything. Title screen to gameplay, guided by tutorials. It's nice.

Obviously it's complicated as all get-out and if you read through all the tips right away, they're 40ish long and there's a lot to account for. Aside from the Link Turn stuff, the game seems to be making a big deal on positioning and line of sight, including an incentive to spread out across the field but also keep the squishy characters behind someone taking defensive actions.

So yeah! Kinda daunting so far, but it has been pleasant to this point.

@Arch‌ ?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really do want Natural Doctrine.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I guess Natural Doctrine is on it's way to me today via Amazon but I know nothing about it except that I guess I bought the VITA version. What is it?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You bought a game without knowing anything about it?

If you want some info, look two posts up!