Options

[PS Vita] New thread, new Soul to Sacrifice

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Just plat'd "Resistance: Burning Skies". It was a really fun game. I've never played another Resistance but this made me reconsider that.

The weapons were fun and I always had to use them all instead of knowing what the best weapon was and using it 99% of the time.

I really liked it.

I liked it too. Seems like most gave it a meh, but I found it entertaining. If you haven't played it yet, try Killzone Mercenary. Its even better.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Natural Doctrine is... Something. I'm not actually sure if I like it or not. The battles can drag out for a long time, and you're punished pretty harshly for any mistake. Unfortunately these two combined means you'll often just be throwing 30+ minutes out the window.

So I guess the real question is how much you value your time. I think the game absolutely has a niche audience, but I also think people will want to approach it knowing that you're going to lose a lot. Sometimes in incredibly unfair ways, and there is no profit in this lost time. It's simply lost time.

That being said, its still pretty rewarding when you get it right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Renzo wrote: »
    You bought a game without knowing anything about it?

If you want some info, look two posts up!

The Vita is like a child to me.

Children need food, need to be fed.

The Vita - both it's global lifespan and our personal attachment to it - is sustained by the games we buy for it. Without buying games for it, it dies.

Like a child and food.

So don't look down on me for nothing more than nourishing my own child!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Drez wrote: »

The Vita - both it's global lifespan and our personal attachment to it - is sustained by the games we buy for it. Without buying games for it, it dies.

Like a child and food.

With so many hungry mouths to feed, sometimes the choice feels like Sophie's choice... which child gets to live or die?

Vita is life. It literally means life. Therefore, it gets to live.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Y'all got some fat babies.

Senran Kagura in 2 weeks, Freedom Wars in 4!

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    greeble wrote: »
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Just plat'd "Resistance: Burning Skies". It was a really fun game. I've never played another Resistance but this made me reconsider that.

The weapons were fun and I always had to use them all instead of knowing what the best weapon was and using it 99% of the time.

I really liked it.

I liked it too. Seems like most gave it a meh, but I found it entertaining. If you haven't played it yet, try Killzone Mercenary. Its even better.

Killzone Mercenary is OMG-how-did-they-put-this-on-Vita-they-are-dark-wizards good.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Recently started Akiba's Trip, although I had to wait a bit the first day because there was a little kid next to me on the train that kept watching me play. That was a bit awkward...

We also picked up Danganronpa 2, although my girlfriend has dibs on it first as she tore through the first game pretty fast. She keeps leaning in close to me and randomly laughing Monokuma-style. "Puhuhuhu."

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    The multiplayer on Resistance Burning Skies was terrible and made me put down the game. One day I'll come back to it to finish the campaign though.
    Killzone is the best hands down! Everything about it is amazing. I'm slowly getting all the trophies for that :)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sometimes I touch it.
    Drez wrote: »

Like a child and food.

I'm starting to talk like Monokuma.

This better not awaken anything in me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Vita Update v3.30 is coming tomorrow, includes theme support and a couple miscellaneous features, the most interesting probably being some customization options for the Start and Home screens, some level of control over the systems icons and background music, and trophy rarity in the Trophies app. A couple generic themes will also be available on the PSN store.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype is getting a Vita release and will be cross-buy with the PS3 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8DplQ_zYP4

Yes please.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Reading reviews of Natural Doctrine is reminding me of reading reviews of "ST!NG" SRPGs or SaGa games or The Last Remnant, ect.

These games are literally marked down because they're tactical and complex and the reviewers don't understand them... so they instead use words like cheap or clunky.

I find that hilarious, and more fuel to the fire why I believe number scores on someone's opinion are bullshit.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Reading reviews of Natural Doctrine is reminding me of reading reviews of "ST!NG" SRPGs or SaGa games or The Last Remnant, ect.

These games are literally marked down because they're tactical and complex and the reviewers don't understand them... so they instead use words like cheap or clunky.

I find that hilarious, and more fuel to the fire why I believe number scores on someone's opinion are bullshit.

Agreed. Wish the collective everyone would get their act together and stop using and caring about review scores, it's a terrible practice all the way down.

• Options
    So wait, is Natural Doctrine like XCOM in a fantasy setting, and therefor totally awesome? 'Cause I've heard mixed things.

• Options
    Also, I've always felt pretty burnt that XCOM never got a Vita port. Frickin iPhone gets it, but not us.

• Options
    It's not XCOM. It's something else entirely. I'm finding the characters to be utterly unlikable and the dialogue/plot to be sort of tedious. But the strategy RPG stuff is right up my alley. Each combat feels like it plays out like a Pen and Paper RPG session, the kind where you play fast-and-loose with the distances/ranges and don't really care where the miniatures end up. I'm liking the way the attacks link up and interact, so there's strategic depth even when you are just saying "move, then attack" over and over again. The linked attacks are more powerful when you have your party members far away from each other (which is completely counter-intuitive, especially if you've played games like Disgaea where you have to clump your troops to get combo attacks). Ranged dudes can cover melee dudes for support when they move up to take more ground. With the looseness of the melee positioning (you can be standing anywhere in a gigantic square to land a melee attack on a target in the NEXT square of land), it's weird that the game has strict LOS rules for ranged combat (to the point where you will shoot your own teammates in the head if they are in the way).

The battle system is unique, and I'm enjoying it. I just hope the story and the characters get better as I get further into it.

The game also does nasty things to you, like spawn a Troll right after you open a door that immediately causes a one-hit party wipe, causing you to restart from a checkpoint. It's one of those games.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, it looks a lot like Warhammer crossed with a tabletop rpg.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Also, I've always felt pretty burnt that XCOM never got a Vita port. Frickin iPhone gets it, but not us.

I'd still take it if 2k decided to throw a bone the Vita's way, though...

Like, in a second

• Options
    Looks like Update v3.30 is live. Another feature from the notes, apparently the Vita TV supports 4 controllers now. I don't know what games will end up utilizing that, but I imagine some PS1 games do.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Looks like Update v3.30 is live. Another feature from the notes, apparently the Vita TV supports 4 controllers now. I don't know what games will end up utilizing that, but I imagine some PS1 games do.

Bomberman is available as a PC Engine game and that sounds like a great use for four controllers. Does the Vita TV do PCE?

Was a little disappointed that I couldn't find any themes in the US store. The Japanese store had a couple genericish ones and a Danganronpa? theme for a hair under Y500.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    WOOO! SUCH SELECTION!
    By8_At6m_IAAAx_T4u_jpg_large.jpg
    ;_;

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

I'd still take it if 2k decided to throw a bone the Vita's way, though...

Like, in a second

Oh hell yes.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Why isn't Fairy Fencer F on Vita? I feel like I'd buy it if it was on Vita.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So Just played the first chapter of Daganronpa.

Spoilers
    Man, the whole time I was screaming at Makoto for how stupid he was being. He was basically putting the pussy on a pedestal and he damn near gotten screwed by it. Though, I thought they were gonna drag out that plot line a whole lot longer and have it be a twist at the end.

Man, I don't know about this game. There's only two way this game can end. Extremely awesomly, or eye rolling corny-ly.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    bss wrote: »

Bomberman is available as a PC Engine game and that sounds like a great use for four controllers. Does the Vita TV do PCE?

Was a little disappointed that I couldn't find any themes in the US store. The Japanese store had a couple genericish ones and a Danganronpa? theme for a hair under Y500.

Those themes aren't available (yet), they're still coming, but some time today the generic ones should be on the store, if they aren't already.

As for PC Engine games, yeah, they work on Vita TV (or at least Ys I & II does, but I think they all do), but AFAIK North America never got any of them. :(

• Options
    YS I&II got a PSP release though, and is on the PSN store.

And it's not an abomination of a port like the DS port was.

• Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Crystal and Stitch free themes are available on the Vita store. They're....not great. But they're free!

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    So Just played the first chapter of Daganronpa.

Spoilers
    Man, the whole time I was screaming at Makoto for how stupid he was being. He was basically putting the pussy on a pedestal and he damn near gotten screwed by it. Though, I thought they were gonna drag out that plot line a whole lot longer and have it be a twist at the end.

Man, I don't know about this game. There's only two way this game can end. Extremely awesomly, or eye rolling corny-ly.

Hopefully this isn't too spoiler-y, but I'll confirm that the characters that die early don't really receive a lot of development. The ones that stick around, though... there's a solid amount of depth there.

• Options
    If anyone's curious, Update v3.30 also allows NA and UK (and probably actually all of EU) users log in on a Vita TV. Same as with the original launch, though, the store is inoperable until closer to the actual launch date. Another hidden feature of the update is now two controllers can be paired through PS4 Remote Play, so I'm guessing that'll let you play co-op PS4 games through a Vita TV (and make no difference on a Vita, I'd assume).

• Options
    More weird surprise features! You can tap a button when looking at screenshots (and other media? I don't have any movies/music on mine right now) on your Vita, and cast it to your Vita TV. I'm looking at Danganronpa 2 screenshots from my Vita (NA account) on my Vita TV (JP account). What even is "Vita" anymore???

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I just went to turn on my Vita and nothing happened. It was very confusing, took me a moment to even consider I might need to plug it in.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Just as I got tired of SAO, I noticed Little King Story is on sale for (to me) impulse price. Bought and enjoying so far! I spend more on Vita games than I care to admit.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in Little King Story opinions. Reviewers didn't seem to be too kind on it.

Also, as someone who never played Metal Gear Solid before, is it worth picking it up to play on the Vita?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The crystal theme changes the ambient music the Vita plays. It sounds.....Well, crystal-y. I imagine the other theme does something similar.

Pretty excited for new themes now, though.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Also, as someone who never played Metal Gear Solid before, is it worth picking it up to play on the Vita?

Opinions vary. There's actually been some vigorous debate on MGS in the Giant Bomb thread as Drew has just finished playing through it. My personal opinion:

MGS was an amazing game because it did cinematic storytelling in a game in ways, and to a greater scope, never seen in video games to that point. To this day, even when the game is kind of preachy and up its own butt, the depth and sincerity of its story is admirable and impressive. It also plays with the expectations of the player, both in terms of gameplay and narrative, that no one expected to see at the time --- it breaks the fourth wall constantly and without even a hint of shame, and is in on the conceit that the player is playing a video game and runs with it.

All that said, it controls like a drunk tank with all the controls switched around some of the time, and it'll frustrate you without much remorse. It expects a level of acceptance of its gameplay --- be careful when you enter new rooms, be sure to check for hidden trap doors or mines or whatever, because the levels will definitely be set up to hurt you if you're impatient or incautiously running around.

All that said, it's beautiful in a lot of right ways even if some of it hasn't aged well. Probably my favorite game of the PS1.

Note, if you didn't already know, that for whatever strange reason, you need a PS3 to copy the game to your Vita, it won't show up on the Vita store.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I'd be interested in Little King Story opinions. Reviewers didn't seem to be too kind on it.

I think most LKS Vita complaints were that it's just more of the same, doesn't really innovate or have more than the original Wii game. That was perfect for me, since my Wii looks like ass on my TV and I liked what I'd played back in the day. If you're unfamiliar with LKS, it's a Pikmin lite thingum with lots and lots of other systems, like jobs and equipment and such. Doesn't really do any of its things spectacularly, but they're all serviceable, and IMO the whole package is greater than the sum of its parts. Others would disagree with that last bit.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Most of the LKS Vita complaints are actually due to the massive amount of lag that you get once your party reaches a certain size. :-P

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Most of the LKS Vita complaints are actually due to the massive amount of lag that you get once your party reaches a certain size. :-P

Hmmmm....how common is this?

• Options

If you can limit yourself to around 15 soldiers, you should be fine, I think.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

If you can limit yourself to around 15 soldiers, you should be fine, I think.

I've never played any little kings story before. Is it going to be a problem limiting myself to 15 soldiers?