As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Valve Tour?

LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in PAX West
Hey guys,

I remember last year there was a thing where people who arrived early to Seattle conjoined for a tour of Valve's offices. I'm not sure if it's too late now to book with them, but I think it would be awesome to do something similar again this year, especially for those who haven't seen it yet!

First and foremost we should do a headcount. Please post below if you're interested; include the days you're available.

UPDATE: Thursday and Wednesday are currently capped. There will be a wait list available, but there's no guarantee for those who are signing up just now for those days. Sorry.

The days available last year were the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before PAX. Thursday might be full already by a private group, as that was something that happened last year too. However, I'll shoot Valve an email to see what's open. For now, post your opinions and free days and I'll compile a list. Thanks!

Update (6/5/14)
Current list of possible tourists and preference:

Any day/Unspecified (Total of 35):
Themagicmoogle
The Word of Bird +1
Sharkey1337 +1
Malgaras
Hollenheim +1
Elderborn
Nazoshadow (minus themselves, +3)
Khadour +2
adambarg
FuriusFlatware
PookyAlert
b3nt0u
FourT2
BadNews65 +3
saskuninja123 +1
DemonsMaster +1
gularsen
popsiphone
ApplezJuice
Zera +1
itzzzdae
Lobstar

Tuesday (Total of 8):
Lazorz +1
maywest
StarYoshi
shadowscout
RavenHusky +1
PancakeAssassin

Wednesday (Total of 44/45):
belligerent +2
Rowwie +5
Cennedi +1
embraceternity +1
Shadek +2
zwitterion +2
ebagazare
zeromyst (+1?)
sary +1
gularsen
giantry +1
b3nt0u +3
Gravekeeper +2
ShiroGohan +5
Intradox
pogoplay +3

Thursday (Total of 42/43):
Zombicus +1
ZappRowzdower
domina_fortuna +1
Shadek +2
SinoSamba
DustyStarr +1
CodextehFish +2
Aercadia
JesusInHD
level1gamer +2
Headhunter +1 (or 2)
SinoSamba
Senicks
SantODiablO83 +1 (or Sun/Mon?)
Captain Star
yingfo
namron9
Bob20021
rahnawyn
ChaoticFate +2
bubblegirl22
the_exiled +3
sacratoy
HAVOKNW +1
keeponrunning

Post-PAX? (Total of 8):
BouwsT +1
vespachica +2
KanaeShiki +2

LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED ANYONE OR MAKE ANY MISTAKES

Lazorz on

• Options
    StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    I'll be there early for PAX Dev - it would be awesome to get in on a tour this year.

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • Options
    ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    None of the days worked for me last year, but I'd love to give this another shot with a +1. Lovely way to make the most of the trip.

Edit: Thursday would be cool.

Zombicus on
    Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Options
    ThemagicmoogleThemagicmoogle Registered User regular
    I'm in for sure, any of the days! I live in the Seattle area, so any day will work :)

• Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    I would love that if I know the days

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I am interested and wednesday/thursday would work for me. I will also be bringing two non forum dudes with me.

• Options
    ZappRowzdowerZappRowzdower Registered User regular
    I'm interested. Thursday works best, but may be able to do Wednesday.

• Options
    yingfoyingfo Raleigh, NCRegistered User new member
    I'd actually be interested in doing this if the dates work out no sure when I would be flying into Seattle yet.

• Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    My bf and I are interested. Is there an entrance fee? Any rules that we should be aware of, like no cellphones or cameras?

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    WulfenshteinWulfenshtein Registered User new member
    Cennedi wrote: »

They usually do tours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 3:30 PM PST.
    My bf and I are interested. Is there an entrance fee? Any rules that we should be aware of, like no cellphones or cameras?

It is free and they will stamp your parking ticket too so you don't have to pay for parking. You can take all the pictures you want in the office lobby where the secretaries are, but no pictures once you are inside.

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    My wife and I live in the area now so we're totally interested!

• Options
    Shm3lioShm3lio Registered User regular
    I was apart of the OT for this last year. Here is the link so you can see what they did. It was alot of fun.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177985/pre-post-pax-valve-tour-tickets-all-sold-out-transportation-update-in-op/p1

• Options
    domina_fortunadomina_fortuna Registered User regular
    My husband and I are totally interested, but we'll only be able to do it on Thursday (we fly in on Wednesday night). I'll be checking this thread regularly to see what's up. :)

• Options
    ShadekShadek Registered User regular
    Myself and the two other people I plan on going with are definitely interested in this! We will probably be flying in Wednesday morning/afternoon, so Thursday would work best...but Wednesday may work as well depending on when we get in.

• Options
    Konrad9Konrad9 Registered User regular
    Cennedi wrote: »

They usually do tours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 3:30 PM PST.

Do you just show up? I tried emailing the front desk and Gabe a few months ago (as their FAQ suggests) and I never heard anything back.

• Options
    Last year it was "hosted" by the OP of the thread. They spoke with and set up times with Valve for the tour. It cost ~$20 per person in which the OP ended up reimbursing all who actually showed up.

• Options
    WulfenshteinWulfenshtein Registered User new member
    Konrad9 wrote: »
    Do you just show up? I tried emailing the front desk and Gabe a few months ago (as their FAQ suggests) and I never heard anything back.

I emailed frontdesk@valvesoftware.com a couple weeks before I flew out there to visit my brother two summers ago. Their secretary Mary emailed me back later the same day. We ended up having a scheduling conflict for the Thursday we were going to go, and Mary was awesome and rescheduled us for the following Wednesday.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I would def be in for Th. Is this an all day thing or just an afternoon?

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    Valve tours are 100% free. The "cost" in last year's thread was just a way to reserve your spot in the organizer's list. It was always intended that the money would be refunded to all that showed up, with any no-shows getting donated to Child's Play. Valve got really upset about it, saying that the OP was trying to put a charge on a free tour, and asked that the OP refund everyone right away. I think it will be extremely difficult to organize a group tour again, under those circumstances, since Valve seemed unwilling to understand the situation that with a group this large, and all the demand, there has to be a way to reserve spots while making people want to not just no-show, taking a spot away from someone that might actually go.

Edit: I can understand Valve's position though, since they don't (and likely we don't either) know the organizer from Adam/Eve, and have no way to guarantee he/she isn't running a scam.

Edit2: Also, I remember there were a fair amount of people that didn't actually read the OP of the thread, and just saw "oh, valve tour, $20" and signed up, thinking that it actually cost money and that there was no refund system in place. All in all, this is a tough chore for an organizer.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    It was a way for the forumers to know how many were going due to Valve requesting a limited number of people per tour.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I'd be interested, but we're going to be there the week after. Any people interested in doing a Post-PAX tour? Lol

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I would be interested depending on when it is.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    Btw, I live in the Puget Sound. Barring work shifts, we should be able to go.

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    I would definitely be going as well as my cousin. All of the days would work, we're taking extra time off before and after.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I've emailed the front desk about booking Tuesday, August 26th through Thursday, August 28th. I'll let you guys know when I get a response and what it says. Also, thank you @zerzhul‌ for the information on last year's issues. If we're able to put this together, I think we'll find a way to both respect Valve's wishes and make sure that everyone who gets a spot shows up.

As for post-PAX, I think we should wait and see what the status of pre-PAX will be. If I get a positive response on that, then I'll definitely help someone step up to take the lead on organizing those tours, as I'll be gone after Monday night.

Lazorz on
  • Options
    FourT2FourT2 SeattleRegistered User regular
    I went last year and was impressed. I would gladly go again this year.

pg1lub26cgqx.png
  • Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    I am SO interested, as is my BF! However, we can only do Thursday before, unless people count the Tuesday after PAX. PLs let it be free...

• Options
    IdiotPatrolIdiotPatrol Registered User regular
    Went last year the Tuesday after Pax. The guy who organized it had a few tours before and a few after PAX. Hopefully Valve will let you guys do it again this year. Last year they got upset with the whole charging money issue, and during the day I went, they got a bit upset because way more people showed up than signed up. They capped each tour at 25 sign ups, and we had 35 or 40 show up. They gave out swag bags at the end and a number of people didn't get them because they only had the 25 prepared, so I felt bad for people who signed up and didn't get anything because other people saw the post and just showed up.

• Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My father, sister and myself would all love to go. I couldn't get time off of work last year to go on the tour and this year we all have the Thursday free for travel from Vancouver/Valve.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Reading this thread makes me wonder if we locals should go another time and let the non-locals be able to go (if someone organizes and herds the cats, that is). I mean, ostensibly, we could go any time they are open to having a tour.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    AercadiaAercadia ArizonaRegistered User regular
    IF someone is putting this together this year, I would be interested. Cannot speak for the other 3 in my party. But I would only be able to do it on Thursday, before PAX.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    It occurs to me that while Valve was mad that people were charged for money last time, they wouldn't be if it actually was for something, like transportation. We could have a place we meet up at, charter or however a small bus for each group, which would cost something, and each person would get a nametag. Each group would have a lead with a list of names. This way, people can't just "show up" out of nowhere, which Value hates, and we would be able to make sure people actually are serious about it. Incidentally, the bus could be used to take people to a nice place to eat too, or whatever fits within the budget.

The Word of Bird on
    Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    ElderbornElderborn Registered User regular
    I would definitely be up for this!

• Options
    JesusInHDJesusInHD Registered User regular
    If this is happening Thursday afternoon, I'm in!

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I remember that last year valve was only able to accommodate 25 people at a time. Most people wanted to go on Thursday but the strict limitations on group sizes necessitated people being flexible in their scheduling. I ended up going on the Tuesday or Wednesday after PAX and had a great time. I guess my point is to try and be flexible and you'll have a great time at PAX in general.

• Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    This sounds like a great idea. I you be up for Tues before PAX, or Tues after PAX.

• Options
    domina_fortunadomina_fortuna Registered User regular
    I remember that last year valve was only able to accommodate 25 people at a time. Most people wanted to go on Thursday but the strict limitations on group sizes necessitated people being flexible in their scheduling. I ended up going on the Tuesday or Wednesday after PAX and had a great time. I guess my point is to try and be flexible and you'll have a great time at PAX in general.

That's awesome for all the folks that are local or from around Seattle and don't have to fly 3000 miles to get there. For us, we can only go on a Thursday because we're flying in Wednesday night.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Thursday group, because my husband is pretty excited about the prospect of getting to tour Valve.
    Flexibility is key, and I've gotta remember that for all 6 days that we're there, I just don't wanna miss out. :)

• Options
    RowwieRowwie CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely interested in a Wednesday or Thursday tour. I'd be +5 though as my friends and I will all be coming in from out of country together.

Prime 2011- Vintage Nintendo
    Prime 2012- Melisandre (GoT)
    Prime 2013- Regular nerd attire
    Prime 2014- Aurin Esper from WIldstar + Vintage Chell
    Prime 2015- Splatoon Inkling + Dream Sequence Bee + Aurin Esper + Vintage Chell
    Prime2016- Handmade nerdy dresses (cosplay break)

• Options
    level1gamerlevel1gamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'd totally be interested. It would be me and two others. We could go on Thursday.

level1gamer on
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Ooh, I'd love to be part of this! I'm in town Thursday to Tuesday: if Thursday is definitely a go, I'll try to book a much earlier flight so I can make the tour: it would probably be 1-2 friends at most plus myself.

Headhunter on
    "Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    I have 3 friends who are interested in going - they live near Seattle and can go any day.

I can't include myself since I'm moving to Sillicon Valley in the summer. -_-