Options

There's a new SE++ [Football] thread. Post there.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh wow, it didn't occur to me that both nations in the final have female heads of government

So you are saying if Hillary wins 2016 we will go to the next finals?

Your team certainly has potential and everyone will continue to love the underdog!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig6Z-LPUePA

You've outdone yourselves, BBC.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

wasn't there a bronze final?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

step up: world cup

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Goose! wrote: »
    Someone on reddit tracked the entire tournament, from qualifying to the final, in a single image. Spoilered for huge:
    MYxvTLF.png

I love qualifying almost (almost!) as much as the actual tournament, so this is pretty great.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dempsey and Yedlin are starting!

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    I would love to visit a World Cup, but neither Russia nor Qatar are happy places

I think I would actually feel guilty sitting in a stadium in Qatar built under the prevailing working conditions

ive been upset about that too, but on the plus side, euro 2016 is in france!

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Messi player of the tournament? What in the actual fuck?

i have to imagine this is because they wanted to (had to? i dont know if they give it out to players that aren't there..) choose a player in the final, and it might be hard to pick out a single german player who was notably better than the others, since they had about 15 players who were all excellent.

but the choice is perplexing because messi has been very poor in the tougher games. yes he was a game winner multiple times, but against frankly very poor teams, and barely showed up in the quarter-finals and later. if you really couldn't pick amongst the german players mascherano was a more significant force for argentina than messi was in the later stages of the tournament (and you need look no farther than argentina's excellent defensive record to find evidence of that).

• Options
    7qG4jEu.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    YAY! MARTINS IS BACK!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    64,000 in attendance.

• Options
    1-0 SOUNDERS! DEMPSEY!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Fuckin finally

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    There's a huge number of people that are watching this as their first ever MLS match. Hurray for lingering world cup fever.

Weaver on
  • Options
    "Soccer isn't a real American sport."

WHAT?!

l7U3UhK.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2014
    2-0 PAPPA!

Weaver on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There we go

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I just hope the Hudson River derby (current name for it per wikipedia) is just as good.

• Options
    So many bookings for Portland tonight

• Options
    Love how after that second goal, Ricketts just kinda meanders over, kicks the ball away, and flops his arms all like "fuck I give up man"

• Options
    And to think, this all started on June 15, 2011 when Belize beat Montserrat 5-2.

I had a debate after the game about whether the World Cup should be held more often. I pointed out the practical reasons for it (clubs would never release their players often enough for it to work), but to me part of the inherent specialness of the Cup is its rarity.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Entertaining myself tonight by watching Goal of the Tournament nominees. And basically everything else.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Entertaining myself tonight by watching Goal of the Tournament nominees. And basically everything else.

I think I'm going to have to go with the James Rodriguez goal versus Uruguay. Just a moment of sheer individual brilliance. Gathers the header, checks to see if anyone is in the way, and kicks it in mid-air to the perfect spot.

My runner up would probably be the Cahill goal versus the Netherlands. Yeah, it's a 1 in 1000 shot, but that's what makes it so spectacular.

• Options
    Oh, and yeah:

I'd say they're probably favorites for Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I think I'm going to have to go with the James Rodriguez goal versus Uruguay. Just a moment of sheer individual brilliance. Gathers the header, checks to see if anyone is in the way, and kicks it in mid-air to the perfect spot.

My runner up would probably be the Cahill goal versus the Netherlands. Yeah, it's a 1 in 1000 shot, but that's what makes it so spectacular.

Shaquiri's goal vs. Honduras is my personal favorite. Whoever said that Shaquiri was like a hobbit bodybuilder has never been more right.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    MLS is nice, but can the the CL draw be today?

• Options
    Iskander wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Shaquiri's goal vs. Honduras is my personal favorite. Whoever said that Shaquiri was like a hobbit bodybuilder has never been more right.

van persie's header for me. its a crazy unique goal. cahill's goal is fantastic and one of my favourite types of goals, but what's kind of funny is that van persie scores one or two of those types of goals a season, so maybe i just like the rarity of van persie's.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    ESPN's montage video is pretty phenomenal, if you can stomach the Coldplay in the background.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    ESPN's montage video is pretty phenomenal, if you can stomach the Coldplay in the background.

Personally the best use of music ever was Pharell's "Happy" blaring over the entire stadium while they were setting up the Trophy ceremony and all the cameras were trained on the dejected Argentine teammates.

You know they have a name for that and the guys who invented it are right there!!!

Schadenfreude

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Scootyfruity

• Options
    JHG_0041_gallery_post.jpg

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    O8mjQub.jpg

• Options