Options

There's a new SE++ [Football] thread. Post there.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh hey, the german national team mocked brazilians/argentinians (in effect, south-americans) by calling them "gauchos" and walking bent over. On stage, in public. It was received by cheering and flag-waving.

Great, not at all racist and totally sporting

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Link please.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Well. Now that Germany has won the world cup it's time for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ3XlpJqPt0

Sure, it's a Swedish group being fake germans and cheering for Sweden. But it's still the most german football anthem ever.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I live near Germany, have lived in Germany and I have no idea what either "gaucho" or walking bent over means in this context

• Options

I'm not detecting the racism that they are being accused of, and am only seeing some questionable dance choreography led by BFG.

• Options
    If you google for "German national team mocking Argentinians", this page is on the first site

• Options
    they were walking hunched (the above vine is not that video) chanting "this is how the gauchos walk", then standing up straight "this is how the germans walk"

http://www.sportschau.de/fifawm2014/video/videodergauchodance100.html

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Okay, that's silly

• Options
    What exactly is silly about that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It is unsporting. I don't think "Gauchos" referred to south americans in general. It is specifically the nickname for the argentine national team. Probably still as stupid as calling the german team Panzer Tedeschi or all the other nicknames that exist for the teams all over.

• Options
    Gaucho has a wider meaning than that. And I can't imagine them pulling shit like this if they played, say, Turkey in a final. The immediate backlash would be enormous

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Gaucho has a wider meaning than that. And I can't imagine them pulling shit like this if they played, say, Turkey in a final. The immediate backlash would be enormous

Gaucho may have a wider meaning, but as already mentioned, it's a recognized nickname for the Argentina national team.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I've never heard of the term gaucho being offensive.

I do know that Ronaldinho was known as Ronaldinho Gaucho in Brazil, 'cos he is from Porto Alegre and people from that area are generally referred to as gauchos.
    Also, Ronaldo was already known Ronaldinho at the time.

Brazilian names can be weird sometimes

• Options
    edited July 2014
    If you want to argue common associations, it is associated with Argentinians in general, and is about the same as being a cowboy, i.e. something akin to a cattle herder.
    Given Mueller being a condescending shit to the columbian reporter after the final match, and the worrying platform for nationalism football has become in Germany (do I need to point out the crap surrounding the German national team's residence in Brazil?), this shit can't be downplayed, especially since the argument that it's "not that bad" is handled reveals some fucking harrowing shit around here (Germany, not these forums)
    Needless to say that "well there's nicknames for Germans too" is a false equivalence.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    yeah the German team has been acting a butt after winning

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    WHAT A SURPRISE

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Should we draft a handbook on what is and is not acceptable celebration when you have just won the World Cup? I mean, we do need to make sure that ones cultural celebratory norms do not in any way offend the delicate sensibilities of every other culture, so a standardized set of acceptable celebrations are very important.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    It's unsporting and stupid but I wouldn't call it racist.

• Options
    this gif is from the Sounders v Timbers match, when Pappa hit the goal camera with his strike, causing it to flip around and point at the supporter section behind the goal going nuts

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Oh hey, the german national team mocked brazilians/argentinians (in effect, south-americans) by calling them "gauchos" and walking bent over. On stage, in public. It was received by cheering and flag-waving.

Great, not at all racist and totally sporting

Don't be a fool. The "(losing opposing team) walks like this *crouching* - (our winning team) walks like this! *jumping*" spiel is something of a traditional celebration done at every level of club sports in germany.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    This....doesn't seem racist or malicious at all. Can we not cast a shadow on a brilliant World Cup with this?

• Options
    ...as if there weren't plenty of shadows already, but fine, I'll stop

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Bradley's face.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    wait, that wasn't bradley cooper

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Sounders played Tottenham today. 3-3 tie!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It was heartbreaking to give up that last PK for a fucking handball.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I just glad it wasn't something like 7-2 or some BS like it's been in the past when we play an EPL team.

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I didn't think the German celebration was racist. Classless maybe. Dorky certainly. But not racist.

AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Iskander wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    Entertaining myself tonight by watching Goal of the Tournament nominees. And basically everything else.

I think I'm going to have to go with the James Rodriguez goal versus Uruguay. Just a moment of sheer individual brilliance. Gathers the header, checks to see if anyone is in the way, and kicks it in mid-air to the perfect spot.

My runner up would probably be the Cahill goal versus the Netherlands. Yeah, it's a 1 in 1000 shot, but that's what makes it so spectacular.

Shaquiri's goal vs. Honduras is my personal favorite. Whoever said that Shaquiri was like a hobbit bodybuilder has never been more right.

van persie's header for me. its a crazy unique goal. cahill's goal is fantastic and one of my favourite types of goals, but what's kind of funny is that van persie scores one or two of those types of goals a season, so maybe i just like the rarity of van persie's.

I'm with you. Cahill and James's were fantastic but we see goals like those a few times each season and while the execution was spectatcular the decision making involved wasn't anything special.

Van Persie's wasn't just perfectly executed technique, it was ridiculously audacious that he even attempted it when any other player would have tried to bring it down - Bergkamp style - to his feet. Amazing, amazing goal and one of the best from any World Cup.

Bucho on
  • Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah I watched that goal on TV. It was insane.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The Rose Bowl renovations are done in time for the game on Wednesday.

I'm mostly going to treat this as a warm-up for the upcoming UCLA season, I think.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    A week old now, but I really enjoyed going through this retrospective of the favourite world cup photos selected and commented on by the sports picture editor at the Guardian. Possibly because it combines my two great hobbies: photography and football.

EDIT: it probably helps if I actually post the link, huh?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    It's not as if the US actually managed to win that the internet wouldn't be running over the brim with third world country jokes

• Options
    James Rodriquez to Madrid to counter the Suarez move. El Clásico heating up big time.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Two crossbars in this first half for d.c. so dar.

Om univision if you have it. 2nd half starting soon.

Vamos United

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    James' is definitely my favorite. From the the three-man volley to the way it
    cornell wrote: »
    James Rodriquez to Madrid to counter the Suarez move. El Clásico heating up big time.

Nooooo how can I root against James?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Liverpool/Roma friendly tonight at Fenway on NBCSN. I'm looking forward to actually being able to watch the new look, beefed up, Suarezless Reds

• Options
    I'm posting now because cell service in the Rose Bowl is awful but YO IM AT THIS LA GALAXY/MAN U GAME AND THERE ARE SO MANY MAN U FANS HERE.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Also there is a Smiths cover band playing outside and they're pretty great/awful.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png