As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dodging perpendicular to an attack swing is super alien to me

I almost never do it

Has worked out pretty well so far

Really? You dodge through the swing everytime?

That must have been quite frustrating when it didn't work.

So I looked it up online and it isn't just you heenato. There's other forums and reddit posts about offline mode having frame rate drops.
    Might be able to find a solution if you look around.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Once I got into the rhythm, it has always worked. Every time. So, no, not frustrating at all.

Even with Fume Knight the.only attacks were some of the very long diagonal hits because I was rolling left, into where the flame bit of the sword still was. And it was a pretty small amount. Rolling right fixed that.

Rolling through attacks works perfectly fine but requires practice and instinct.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's inherently risky. Rolling perpendicular is the safest method. It will avoid attacks without much practice and without needing to train much. You just need timing and nothing else.

Instead of having to think about left or right you just think away. For vertical attacks it doesn't matter which left or right, either will do. It's an instinct that will let you avoid new attacks first time.
    Rolling away with low equip weight also completely gets you out of side to side combos without ever having to have seen the combo before.

Not rolling perpendicular is perfectly doable, but as you say, it takes more effort. You have to think about more things. So you require "practice".

When I say that not rolling perpendicular is wrong i don't mean it's unviable. I mean it is more difficult to do and requires more effort to overcome the disadvantages.

A new person should focus on perpendicular. As you become more familiar with the monsters rolling through their swings is a natural progression of your skillset, eg for getting behind them easier to do a backstab punish.

I frequently roll north east or north west past a monster when I'm used to them for easy punishment. But when I see a new monster I roll perpendicular until I get used to them.

Sometimes monsters have good homing on their vertical attacks, in which case I disobey this rule and just go with away all the time.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I guess

When it comes.down to it I don't actually think about much of anything

For me, the Souls series is a matter of muscle memory. I do things that are effective, over and over and over, until I don't think about them anymore. Which usually is what leads to winning.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Even that is a kind of thinking, in that the parts of your brain that process hand eye are dealing with multiple choices below your conscious awareness. There's no difference in how the neurons communicate with each other on a mechanical level.

Picking simpler strategies helps your hand eye process them faster. Which, in turn, improves your reaction speed to new things.

I'm using hand eye as a shorcut for a really complicated system involving multiple different areas of the brain and body since describing even a small section of it in detail would explode this thread at the seams.

I take a similar approach to action games as you might find in sport training. Meta strategies that are effective in sport training are effective in action games. Simple to start, then work up from there.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    anyway heenato, if you're running low on human effigies, have you considered wearing the rings that prevent loss of souls on death but break

so that you just repair them every time they break for 3000 souls instead of burning an effigy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I think it's more that he finally got through a bit and now he has to reclear it.

• Options
    he expressed in the past that he was running low on effigies so my assumption is that he is unaware of the trick, which may be exacerbating his frustration

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Nah, nah. I know about the rings. Didn't have them at the time. Didn't feel like going to get them. I'm good on effigies now, and have beaten Fume knight.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having problems invading/summoning (like 1 summoning sign every fifth boss) at SL15mil+?
    The game says "invasion failed" pretty much 80% of the time I try, and even went so far as to mail namco to ask if I had "restrictions" placed on my account. (I did not)

The computer I play on is plugged directly in to the wall on a 100mb connection so no router issue etc.
    Do people not play this game anymore?

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Rofflor wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems invading/summoning (like 1 summoning sign every fifth boss) at SL15mil+?
    The game says "invasion failed" pretty much 80% of the time I try, and even went so far as to mail namco to ask if I had "restrictions" placed on my account. (I did not)

The computer I play on is plugged directly in to the wall on a 100mb connection so no router issue etc.
    Do people not play this game anymore?

Edit: Derp, can't read. No idea in that case. Checking Beyond the Bonfire doesn't yield any results either. Are your problems consistent? Maybe the servers require maintenance.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Even that is a kind of thinking, in that the parts of your brain that process hand eye are dealing with multiple choices below your conscious awareness. There's no difference in how the neurons communicate with each other on a mechanical level.

Picking simpler strategies helps your hand eye process them faster. Which, in turn, improves your reaction speed to new things.

I'm using hand eye as a shorcut for a really complicated system involving multiple different areas of the brain and body since describing even a small section of it in detail would explode this thread at the seams.

I take a similar approach to action games as you might find in sport training. Meta strategies that are effective in sport training are effective in action games. Simple to start, then work up from there.

I always circle around bosses in the same direction when i don't know them yet. Every boss in the game can be beaten either by circling left or right, so it's at least a 50% chance that it'll work out well.

It's really just a matter of switching to the other direction if I do end up getting hit because of the way i'm circling.

On big bosses it's more a matter of finding the best spot to be attacking from and moving towards that.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Maytag wrote: »

I always circle around bosses in the same direction when i don't know them yet. Every boss in the game can be beaten either by circling left or right, so it's at least a 50% chance that it'll work out well.

It's really just a matter of switching to the other direction if I do end up getting hit because of the way i'm circling.

On big bosses it's more a matter of finding the best spot to be attacking from and moving towards that.

I don't run with a shield the first time, but when I do, I do the circling thing too.

Without I have to play a lot of careful spacing and watching their attack types.
    Which is why my advice is based around dodging attacks more than anything else.

As I get more experienced with the enemies I'll often just circle them at close range without holding block even with a shield, since you can completely avoid a lot of attacks that way.

Sentinels are a good example. Circle the right way with your shield down and their big two hit swing whiffs completely. Have your shield up and you move slower, so it clips.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I need some community motivation to play Ivory King duders. Fighting these ice knights is not super fun. I'm like 5 minutes into it and kind of over it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I realize this is a bit imgtimeline, but I really dont have the energy to read 30 pages for the possible answer.

Is the DLC any good?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The general consensus I've seen across various communities is that the level design in the DLCs far surpasses most of the base game. Boss design is brilliant at times, garbage at times especially with the optional bosses. Some people are put off by the higher difficulty in general of the DLCs, while some love it.

All in all, if you like Dark Souls 2, you're going to find things to like in all 3 DLCs, even if you don't love them. I love all 3.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Don't forget that there's a Season pass including all 3 DLCs that will save you a couple bucks.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I really liked the 1st DLC. Luke warm on the 2nd, though it had some pretty cool parts. As above, I'm having trouble getting into the 3rd.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Don't forget that there's a Season pass including all 3 DLCs that will save you a couple bucks.

not on all platforms

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I think my funniest, "That's Dark Souls!" moments was when I was climbing Sen's Fortress, died a bunch of times to the rolling boulder traps. Finally reached the top and redirected the boulder... and then after exploring came back and got flattened by walking around the wrong side.

Also that double greatbow sniper team in Anor Londo. Oh man, good times.

• Options
    I really liked the 1st DLC. Luke warm on the 2nd, though it had some pretty cool parts. As above, I'm having trouble getting into the 3rd.

This is my opinion, mostly. They are all worth playing but the first was to me far and away the best. 2 is fine but I didn't fall in love or anything. 3 is enjoyable enough but I dunno, felt kind of empty in retrospect? It also has one actively awful part but that is at least optional.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i really liked the second DLC, first was okay, i wasn't too keen on the third one.

• Options
    I liked the second DLC. Didn't really like what I played of the first, and the second is shaping up to be the same way. Like some of the neat touches in the 3rd, like the fact that you get covered in snow when you go rolling around in it.

Though, I do need to do sunken king for the naked punch ring.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, picked this up on PC today because Dark Souls II son! My only gripe so far is the fact that the on-screen prompts default to an Xbox controller. Raaaaaaaaaage! Talk about skimping. That takes about 10 minutes to fix. 0.43 seconds on google tells me there's a fix for it in the form of a mod but COME ON! Seriously, if I have to download a mod to fix something it would take all of 10 minutes to do correctly in the first place, you're doing it wrong.

That said, its exactly what I wanted in a sequel to Dark Souls. Very pleased with how its playing thus far.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    What would yall say is a very easy build / weapon type to play DS2 with? Obviously the mace is really good but also very boring, so please dont say that ::p

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I'd say punchman, but once you get very late in the game, you tend to either have to live with shitty hitboxes, or switch to a big large fuck-off sword for bosses.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Try spears. Instead of having to let the other guy go first, you can just stab him before he can reach you. Also, you have the option of a shield poke on most of them (the only exception I know offhand is santier's spear).

Switching to a greatsword for bosses is never a bad idea, though.

• Options
    see now that's interesting

i always reserve the big weapons for trash mobs and go light on bosses, since poise isn't a thing and attack opportunity timing is tight. going into a boss fight is when i put the greatsword away.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    some bosses can be staggered by greatswords though

i used a greatsword on everything on my havel cosplay build (stupid dragon tooth being at the end of the game)

it was the easiest run ive ever done

the damage is utterly insane

you only get one hit, sure, but what a hit

the only boss that gave me any trouble was velstadt. hes surprisingly faster than you think.

granted i haven't done the dlc with him

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    you only get one hit, sure, but what a hit
    This is my reasoning, more or less. Lots of bosses only give you time for one hit even with lighter weapons, so you may as well hit them with the biggest thing you have.
    "Trash," on the other hand, swings faster than your greatsword and will probably trade hits with you.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Velstad only has 2-3 attack that leave long enough openings for greatsword swings. The main trick is to bait him into the magic cast during his second phase, since you can get a double hit in during it. For utterly insane damage.

I find that with proper timing, I can hit most 'trash' mobs before they get close enough to start their attack animation. Combine with a stone ring for guaranteed stagger and you're good to go. Went through the entirety of the 3rd DLC by smacking everything before they could hit me. Though I do carry around multiple +10 Greatswords to avoid breakage emergencies.

• Options
    Great swords have an element of strategy that can be fun

Running Dark Crypt Great sword with a high str/int/fth character is tricky because of how slow it is, but a looooot of fun once you get the rhythm. You do just obscene amounts of damage.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I played around with spears a bit and I really do like that extra range. I also tried out a rapier for the first time and it's even cooler. There are a bunch of Dex weapons for me to try out now :)

I loved the Claymore in DS1 but you get it a lot later in this game IIRC. I'll try it out once I get there.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Velstad only has 2-3 attack that leave long enough openings for greatsword swings. The main trick is to bait him into the magic cast during his second phase, since you can get a double hit in during it. For utterly insane damage.

I find that with proper timing, I can hit most 'trash' mobs before they get close enough to start their attack animation. Combine with a stone ring for guaranteed stagger and you're good to go. Went through the entirety of the 3rd DLC by smacking everything before they could hit me. Though I do carry around multiple +10 Greatswords to avoid breakage emergencies.

i can smell the greatsword expertise on you

smells like blood

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    My greatsword character has a +10 greatsword for every element, including unenchanted.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There is a right way to dodge an attack in dark souls. Perpendicular to the attacks motion. Anything else is quite risky, but you can use the times when you don't get hit doing this to go "oh I should probably make sure to dodge that one perpendicular so I don't fall into bad habits". Think of the times you don't get hit dodging wrong as a friendly warning.

This is why equip weight is a genuinely big deal. With high equip weight you roll in place and are still in the danger zone, just relying on your i frames and nothing else.

Light weight characters can fuck up a roll by rolling too early and not get hit because the roll distance puts them outside the attacks hitbox.
    50-60-70% characters do not get this luxury.

A really good example is the ogre right at the start. You try to take that fucker with too high an equip weight you can't roll out of his combo. You have to dodge every hit.

My naked caestus man cleaned him up good and proper because all I had to do was roll the first swing and the rest autowhiffed. After that I could just stand close enough to him, safely out of reach, so that he finished his combo and I could hit him in his recovery.

Stripping down to fight bad guys is still a quality strategy in this game. A lot of times you need that roll distance more than you need the defence.

As an added plus you can use it for offense as well to get in.

So I got Dark Souls 1 on the PC, spoiled myself on the armor sets, and decided to do builds around some of the DLC content.

Me, being a Dark Souls genius, decided the best way to do this was to head to the DLC area as SOON as it was available. Most of the time, hilariously underleveled.

My first 3 Artorias kills, I did exactly what you mentioned.

Took off everything except a BKG, threw on some cloth armor so I wasn't naked, but mantained minimal weight, and went to town.

It required fighting perfectly for 20 minutes but by god I DID IT and it was the best way to fight him.

• Options

smells like blood

I've been collecting the Berserk manga religiously for ten+ years now. The moment I got my hands on a Greatsword and saw what it looked like, I was lost. Ditched all previous plans and dumped all my stats into using one for maximum effectiveness. if it is in Dark Souls and can be hit with a giant fuck-off slab of metal, I will hit it with a giant fuck-off slab of metal. Then I'll lose in PvP and pull the Vanquisher ring out, because why not?

Also, taking on Fume with a Greatsword was not fun, he's one of the places where I admitted defeat and used a smaller sword. Trading hits with him in NG+ just wasn't on the table.

• Options

smells like blood

I've been collecting the Berserk manga religiously for ten+ years now. The moment I got my hands on a Greatsword and saw what it looked like, I was lost. Ditched all previous plans and dumped all my stats into using one for maximum effectiveness. if it is in Dark Souls and can be hit with a giant fuck-off slab of metal, I will hit it with a giant fuck-off slab of metal. Then I'll lose in PvP and pull the Vanquisher ring out, because why not?

Also, taking on Fume with a Greatsword was not fun, he's one of the places where I admitted defeat and used a smaller sword. Trading hits with him in NG+ just wasn't on the table.

Slightly offtopic but have you played dragon's dogma?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_hdPFdWEs

• Options
    dragon's dogma two-handers were so fucking great

right up until the part where you kinda had to jump up and down while hammering a cyclops in the taint

• Options
    Can't say I have, but after looking at that and some other videos I think I should. If I can find a copy of it anywhere, of course. Looks like my kind of game.