As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    dragon's dogma two-handers were so fucking great

right up until the part where you kinda had to jump up and down while hammering a cyclops in the taint

i liked that bit

i'm a jumping kind of guy.

suddenly we've worked out why we differ so much in our love of warrior.

i was doing the jumping attacks most of the time and loving them since they were op. the light attack had great knockdown and the heavy attack hit like five times and did great damage.

used to put the strider 30% increased damage for air attacks on my warrior for just running around when you don't know what you'll find.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nah i loved the jumping attack

just, playing a warrior was kind of a drag because there were so many situations clearly designed around the ranged ability and extra mobility the other classes had

at best it had you doing repeat jump attacks at an ogre's butthole, at worst it made some fights out and out unwinnable

but fucking god if unloading one of those big swings into a dragon's heart wasn't the best feeling

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I won every fight with warrior. Sooner or later. The climbing attack they had did a massive chunk of damage. WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

Anyway, so MrGrimoire, are you planning to double greatsword? Because I've been meaning to make that character at some point.
    I remember there was someone else earlier in the thread basically thrilling over the damage they did.

Also have you found any other greatswords as good as the basic greatsword? It's got such great base damage even if its scaling isn't the best.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I've tried it. While the damage is amazing (and good for getting people in the Belltower), I think running around with two of them looks really, REALLY silly. So I just can't do it for aesthetic reasons. And for the same reason I've not gone overboard on other Ultragreats. Pursuers is cool, but when you're running around in retainer's robes+Alonne's pants, it doesn't really fit the aesthetic. Drake-keepers looks cool, but the moveset is meh. Sinner's is in my opinion the best looking sword in the game, but the health-loss on hit kinda hurts and unless I remember all wrong, it's got kinda bad durability. And so on and so forth. I do need to upgrade a few more of them for experiments, though. And I've not really gone into crypt since I'm not interested in mucking about with caster stats to get the most out of it.

Edit: Additional thing about Dual greatswords: They eat stamina like there's no tomorrow. So much so I found it annoying.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    Ah. My havel build was only using a greatsword cos the dragon's tooth isn't till the end game.
    The durability thing really hurt with the dragon's tooth though. When you hit the ground it does an aoe. The aoe will cause you to lose durability. It'll hit multiple things.
    It was super annoying.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For a spellsword build based on the sorcerer, with strength and dexterity around 18, is there a good weapon that is similar in use to an upgraded, magic Heide Knight's Sword but does more damage?

Also, is the Crystal Soul Spear worth the hassle of NG+ing bloody Freja?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Madness!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    For a spellsword build based on the sorcerer, with strength and dexterity around 18, is there a good weapon that is similar in use to an upgraded, magic Heide Knight's Sword but does more damage?

You may want to ascetic Freja to get the Moonlight Greatsword AND Crystal Soul Spear. MLGS is 18/18 str/dex requirement, and though it's been nerfed and can't be enchanted any more, I'm pretty sure magic infused it's probably still one of the highest damage weapons for that kind of build.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So I'm catching up on a lot of the balance changes since I played last. Looks like the Thor's Paladin template got nerfed in to the ground. I'm still going to rebuild him, because I loved playing him. Just have to get used to the lower spell uses and the non-OP DGS. I'm reading that Heide Knight's Sword may be better now overall? I'm still going f or the standard Fire Long Sword -> Lightning Claymore +10 -> Lightning DGS +5 route, but I'm willing to be convinced I should go Heide's (or something else entirely).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Boo, Bloodborne delayed til March 24: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/bloodborne-pushed-back-until-late-march/1100-5089/

On the other hand, more time for Witcher 3, Evolve and possibly Persona 5.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just about finished with the DLC, got to what I can assume is the optional area Frigid Outskirts and. . .yea I'm done. I think I'll just watch a video of this fight and experience it that way because wow. I hopped on The Google to see what folks impressions of that area is and it about matched what I'd expect.

The most shocking thing about this area. . .it's just not at all inspired. I could give them props if it weren't just a single corridor, but the fact that the area is so fucking bland, and to make it "difficult" they spawn high damage horses that love to jump out of melee range and a snowstorm on a timer - please.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

You may want to ascetic Freja to get the Moonlight Greatsword AND Crystal Soul Spear. MLGS is 18/18 str/dex requirement, and though it's been nerfed and can't be enchanted any more, I'm pretty sure magic infused it's probably still one of the highest damage weapons for that kind of build.

Isn't the Ice Rapier a good weapon for int users if infused with magic?
    Lower stats, higher dos and a special attack.

Equip the Old Leo ring and all rapiers are a BEAST.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've progressed a bit further in the meantime and have acquired the Crystal Soul Speak - and of course I've stupidly lost ~200,000 souls due to playing first thing in the morning while waiting for my wife to get ready to leave. I shouldn't play when I'm barely awake...

The Ice Rapier sounds good. That's in the final DLC, right? Wondering if I should give Old Iron King a rest and check out Ivory King instead to get myself a new weapon. It's annoying how you can't swing the Heide Knight's Sword without scraping the ground.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    the pilgrim's spontoon is a neat magic weapon if you can meet the faith requirement (which is enormous)

• Options
    Quick update: thanks for the Ice Rapier tip! It took some getting used to, as I played through 95% of DS2 with the Heide Knight Sword, but it definitely does a lot more damage and is enjoyable to use.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Welp, I fell off the backlog bandwagon and have jumped into Dark Souls 2. Playing blind and enjoying it so far, but I feel like a Souls Snob for complaining about (so far) the lack of difficulty compared to DeSo and DaSo1. At what point does this game get proper punishing? Not even the Ruin Sentinels thrashed me like the Gargoyles in DaSo or Flamelurker...

Maybe I'm just jaded.

EDIT - Also, not a single invasion yet! I've seen lots of phantoms and messages, but nobody wants to invade me on PS3. I feel slighted.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Your first Souls game just feels harder. I played Dark Souls 2 first, then Demon Souls, then Dark Souls 1, and while I didn't have trouble with many bosses in Dark Souls 2, Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 just felt downright easy by comparison. Demon's Souls had 0 bosses that gave me any trouble at all. Flamelurker, Maneaters, everything I heard was hard in that game I killed on the first attempt.

Then in Dark Souls 1 the only bosses I even had to do more than a couple attempts on were Artorias and Manus. Coincidentally, the DLC bosses in Dark Souls 2 are also the ones that are harder. Fume Knight is harder than Artorias IMO, though they're very close and similar fights really.

If you want the game to be hard, join the covenant of champions. Otherwise, you'll never have another Souls game be as hard as the first one for you. The games just aren't that hard once you understand what they're about and have done it so much.

RE: Invasion, it's unlikely you'll get invaded at all until NG+. There's no full invasion orb in DaS2, and the cracked orbs cannot be purchased in unlimited quantities until NG+. They did it on purpose, presumably to ease people in to the game more and leave most of the PvP for NG+.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The great sword vs smaller weapon decision is quite interesting

For a boss I always have two criteria: how long/frequent their openings are, and how important stamina management is.

If you're only going to be able to get one hit in, then you have to see whether that hit leaves you enough time to recover and dodge when using a higher-damage weapon. If you get a really long opening, a small weapon will usually be better.

If you can safely empty your stamina bar on attacks, a good two-handed small weapon will probably do more total damage than a big stamina hog that only lets you swing three times.

I used a sun sword against the Fume Knight for example; the damage output was higher for a given opening and used less stamina than a great weapon, and I also had to have the time to dodge after attacking because he's so aggressive.

In general I found the great weapons were best suited for mobs - the whole point is to do a single high poise hit for tons of damage at longer range, and then hit them again after the stagger or pancake, killing them. Drakekeeper knights were very tough with a smaller weapon and trading blows, but the demon great hammer trivialized them.

Sometimes I'd go with dual wielding straight swords instead if I wanted the big damage and stagger but better recovery, like if I'm fighting three dangerous mobs instead of one or two.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    All that is important in dark souls is winning.

How you do that is entirely up to you.

It's important not to lose sight of that when thinking about this stuff.

If you want to use a giant fuck off greatsword, use it. You can make it work.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Wut?
    The undead curse continues to spread across the kingdom of Drangleic with **Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin**, available on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Steam on the following dates:

EU: April 3, 2015
    Americas: April 7, 2015

This ultimate Dark Souls II experience features additional in-game events and NPCs along with new deadlier enemies and gameplay improvements. This experience includes the original Dark Souls II along with the three DLC chapters - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King. It will also take advantage of the advanced power of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and DirectX11 capable PCs to provide enhanced graphics for those platforms!

10402722_768125956593784_4293918484021227273_n.jpg?oh=a001a3006162af44fab0b5ab970e9e45&oe=54DF0FBF

1922390_768126103260436_3806562328285846253_n.jpg?oh=49617f3ead4ce8a62e4401a6d959a48c&oe=551FBA68&__gda__=1426554134_a2bdc94ee2ddf42b356c337a7ca8ceae

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    ...interesting

Do season pass holders on PC get this? Curious about the enhanced graphics

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm happy about the free upgrade, 'cause I have other things to buy.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Your first Souls game just feels harder. I played Dark Souls 2 first, then Demon Souls, then Dark Souls 1, and while I didn't have trouble with many bosses in Dark Souls 2, Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 just felt downright easy by comparison. Demon's Souls had 0 bosses that gave me any trouble at all. Flamelurker, Maneaters, everything I heard was hard in that game I killed on the first attempt.

Then in Dark Souls 1 the only bosses I even had to do more than a couple attempts on were Artorias and Manus. Coincidentally, the DLC bosses in Dark Souls 2 are also the ones that are harder. Fume Knight is harder than Artorias IMO, though they're very close and similar fights really.

If you want the game to be hard, join the covenant of champions. Otherwise, you'll never have another Souls game be as hard as the first one for you. The games just aren't that hard once you understand what they're about and have done it so much.

While generally true, I think you would probably agree that the player has a very great control over difficulty in all the games in terms of choosing whether to make use of every kind of top-tier spell and long distance bow snipes or charge in everywhere with suboptimal melee.

I would add that I felt like many if not most of the bosses and enemies were primarily designed to engage with melee classes.

• Options
    Man I got downvoted to hell on Reddit when I suggested they'd port Dark Souls 2 to next gen a bunch of months back. Suckers. I've already bought and played this on PS3 and PC, and I'll be buying it again on PS4.

• Options
    Josh, are you rich? :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Not rich by any means. Just a middle class family that doesn't carry revolving debt, and bought a house and cars that are much cheaper than we can actually afford so that we could spend money on our kids, vacations, and video games. =)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there a good let's play of DS2 that goes through all of the DLC?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Not rich by any means. Just a middle class family that doesn't carry revolving debt, and bought a house and cars that are much cheaper than we can actually afford so that we could spend money on our kids, vacations, and video games. =)

It's just too much Dark Souls for me. Bloodborne just seems much more enticing.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is a bit too blatant a cash in on the Bloodborne Fever Dream that people will be under. Good marketing but would have been nicer earlier.

As someone who dipped in the PC (300+ hours and counting) and PS3 version. . . not sold. At least on the changes given so far. I can fight a dragon before Old Dragonslayer? So.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I'm more excited about Bloodborne than I am replaying Dark Souls 2 again, for certain. But I still really like Dark Souls 2, and I was going to play it again in the future anyway. I bought all the DLC on PS3 but not on PC because despite it performing better, there are other factors which make gaming on my PC less convenient for me. So having a PS4 version with all the DLC that I can use the next time I get the itch to do a playthrough is nice for me. There's no way I'm going to be buying it in April though, because there are sooooo many games out right now and between now and then that I'm going to buy that there's no way I'll be through them all by April. I'll buy it in the summer drought most likely.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My PS3 is put away and the drive is dying. I didn't get the DLC. I absolutely will buy this.

Of course my wife is due in April, so... yeah. Still.

Fawst on
  • Options

While generally true, I think you would probably agree that the player has a very great control over difficulty in all the games in terms of choosing whether to make use of every kind of top-tier spell and long distance bow snipes or charge in everywhere with suboptimal melee.

I would add that I felt like many if not most of the bosses and enemies were primarily designed to engage with melee classes.

Welp, I finally hit the difficulty spike. Belfry Gargoyles whooped my butt for 2 hours before I prevailed.

...that said, I'm still knocking over a boss or two per play session, compared with getting stuck on the Gargoyles in DS1 for almost two weeks, or having to take a 6 month break on Allant because he was filling me with so much rage. And the levels are so short! Super super short! Nothing like the long, agonising exploration of Blighttown or DeSo's huge levels. I dropped down into the Grave of Saints expecting something like the extended horror of the Tomb of Giants, but nope - a corridor, a right hand turn, a bonfire and a boss. Everything just feels kinda compacted.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    The gargoyles in DS2 are definitely a bit of a DPS check so to speak. Because of the way the additional ones spawn you have to really be able to finish them off when you get one low.

And to be anecdotal in response to yours, having played DS2 first, then Demon's, then Dark 1, I thought the gargoyles in Dark Souls 1 were a complete cakewalk. Beat them solo on the first attempt, and was like wait, there aren't more of them? Because i'd fought the much harder gargoyle fight in DS2 way before. And Allant in DeS took me maybe 3 tries total.

Grave of Saints is just an optional PvP area. I think you'll find a few of the levels in DS2 are nice and big too. Especially the DLC areas. If you're really exploring them, there's some serious meat to some of those areas.

• Options
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of good stuff about the DLC and will be checking it out ASAP.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    But the DS2 gargoyles give you the Large Club just before you go and use it on them.

What do you mean you're not doing a strength build?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    probably the easiest gargoyles run i had was pyromancy

why manage your damage dealing to keep three on the field at at time when you can just YOLO it and dump a bunch of flame swathes in the middle of a swarm of five of them

i expect this probably don't work so good on ng+