As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Aliens have defeated this thread. Find the resistance movement in the new one

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Garthor wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I still haven't been able to find if XCOM2 is a dirty cheat and gives the players hidden bonuses to hit (and the aliens a penalty) on normal. Hopefully not doing so will prevent people complaining about the game "Cheating" on harder difficulties, because then everyone will get the same wonderful RNG shenanigans no matter the difficulty.

On the Firaxis stream they said that XCOM2's normal won't be cheating in player's favor any more.

That's fantastic, because I personally feel one of XCOM's biggest design flaws was doing that, because it just made going from normal to classic a gigantic cliff in difficulty. Also it made normal on XCOM much easier than it should have been.

Normal didn't do anything for you until you were down to 3 guys. Even then, it's just +10 aim for every miss, and -10 aim for every alien hit, resetting on a hit/miss respectively.

People drastically overstate it because, once again, people are bad at statistics.

Actually, you're quite mistaken.

Firstly, if you have FOUR soldiers it's 120% of displayed to hit value. EG: It gives you 20% bonus. You're on even terms at 5+

For every time you miss with a shot above 50% it adjusts your aim by 15% cumulatively. This is the in built "Gamblers fallacy" in normal.

Aliens chance to hit is decreased by 10% for every consequential hit they get, until they miss (then it resets to normal).

20% at 4 soldiers during the early part of the game - which is always - with a 15% bonus when you miss a >50% shot is absolutely massive. You don't need to understand statistics whatsoever to know that's a huge advantage. That's effectively ranking your soldiers up several times in aim right off the bat! Once you have 5+ soldiers you've probably ranked up, got some equipment and are now doing fairly well tactically, but it doesn't matter: If you lose one the game will go right back to giving you a whopping 20% bonus to hit. For all your attacks. Always. And a 15% cumulatively stacking bonus every time you miss, so once you start losing the game heavily compensates you. Except now it's compensating people who naturally have 80+ chances to hit.

So what is being overstated? 84% is the baseline for essentially a 100% shot on normal!*

Edit: Let me tell you, from modding the XCOM forums, the amount of people who think Normal has the "Correct" RNG and that Classic is broken cheating because they miss shots at 80% to hit was astounding. People literally had to have game code quoted to them proving that classic did nothing and that the game was manipulating numbers like a madman on normal to believe the game on normal was what was really cheating. Like if you miss a basic 65% shot, your next 65% shot is extremely close to 100% chance to hit, as it will be 65+20+15 = 100.

XCOM 2 doing away with this cheating is one of the best possible game design decisions they could have made.

*If this doesn't make sense, it's because the game soft caps the to bonus at a certain point and it has to get somewhere over 100% to really actually be 100% from bonus aim. At least according to the wiki and people I've asked.

Edit2: And sorry for the snarky response, but if you're going to say things like "People who don't understand statistics overstate it" you might want to actually be sure you know what you're talking about first ;)
    The Ender wrote: »
    Hyperion wrote: »
    Going through EW one last time. Just got to the Portent mission.

This is way hard, right? Not just me? Because...fuck

It's almost unbeatable if you go into it blind, yes.

I hate nearly all the scripted maps in the original game, except maybe the base defense that only gets a nostalgia pass from me, with a passion. They are rote exercises in memorization and boring after the first time through, then it's a case of just remembering the spawns to trivialize any challenge they would have had. They were an utterly dreadful and completely anti-XCOM design, so I am over the moon they have done away with these scripted missions in XCOM2 (XCOM 2 procedurally generates its maps, even the gated story ones, so they will be different each time).

I will make one real exception: Newfoundland. Simply for entertainment value and concept. It can have a warm and happy place in my heart.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I like 3 of the scripted maps:

- Ashes & Temples (mostly because it varies the spawns & the verticality of the map is interesting to me)
    - EXALT base siege because I will never, ever get tired of trashing that posh mansion while their computer ineffectually warns them about the 'security breach' (aka my MEC busting through their walls)
    - Newfoundland, because there are a surprisingly large number of ways to tackle the map, including pure stealth

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Okay, I am forced to concede the EXALT base assault is pretty fun.

It is hilarious blowing up their posh mansion, but I never do it anymore. EXALT are the single best EXP farm in the entire game, as their soldiers incompetently lemming into overwatch fire over and over. They are the best way to level up rookies or similar late game almost entirely safely. Ironically, because they don't have an objective to lemming towards in that mission, it means that specific level is the only time they'll ever be a significant threat to the player.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I still haven't been able to find if XCOM2 is a dirty cheat and gives the players hidden bonuses to hit (and the aliens a penalty) on normal. Hopefully not doing so will prevent people complaining about the game "Cheating" on harder difficulties, because then everyone will get the same wonderful RNG shenanigans no matter the difficulty.

On the Firaxis stream they said that XCOM2's normal won't be cheating in player's favor any more.

That's fantastic, because I personally feel one of XCOM's biggest design flaws was doing that, because it just made going from normal to classic a gigantic cliff in difficulty. Also it made normal on XCOM much easier than it should have been.

Normal didn't do anything for you until you were down to 3 guys. Even then, it's just +10 aim for every miss, and -10 aim for every alien hit, resetting on a hit/miss respectively.

People drastically overstate it because, once again, people are bad at statistics.

Firstly, if you have FOUR soldiers it's 120% of displayed to hit value. EG: It gives you 20% bonus. You're on even terms at 5+

For every time you miss with a shot above 50% it adjusts your aim by 15% cumulatively. This is the in built "Gamblers fallacy" in normal.

Aliens chance to hit is decreased by 10% for every consequential hit they get, until they miss (then it resets to normal).

20% at 4 soldiers during the early part of the game - which is always - with a 15% bonus when you miss a >50% shot is absolutely massive. You don't need to understand statistics whatsoever to know that's a huge advantage. That's effectively ranking your soldiers up several times in aim right off the bat! Once you have 5+ soldiers you've probably ranked up, got some equipment and are now doing fairly well tactically, but it doesn't matter: If you lose one the game will go right back to giving you a whopping 20% bonus to hit. For all your attacks. Always. And a 15% cumulatively stacking bonus every time you miss, so once you start losing the game heavily compensates you. Except now it's compensating people who naturally have 80+ chances to hit.

So what is being overstated? 84% is the baseline for essentially a 100% shot on normal!*

Edit: Let me tell you, from modding the XCOM forums, the amount of people who think Normal has the "Correct" RNG and that Classic is broken cheating because they miss shots at 80% to hit was astounding. People literally had to have game code quoted to them proving that classic did nothing and that the game was manipulating numbers like a madman on normal to believe the game on normal was what was really cheating. Like if you miss a basic 65% shot, your next 65% shot is extremely close to 100% chance to hit, as it will be 65+20+15 = 100.

XCOM 2 doing away with this cheating is one of the best possible game design decisions they could have made.

*If this doesn't make sense, it's because the game soft caps the to bonus at a certain point and it has to get somewhere over 100% to really actually be 100% from bonus aim. At least according to the wiki and people I've asked.

Edit2: And sorry for the snarky response, but if you're going to say things like "People who don't understand statistics overstate it" you might want to actually be sure you know what you're talking about first ;)

I hate nearly all the scripted maps in the original game, except maybe the base defense that only gets a nostalgia pass from me, with a passion. They are rote exercises in memorization and boring after the first time through, then it's a case of just remembering the spawns to trivialize any challenge they would have had. They were an utterly dreadful and completely anti-XCOM design, so I am over the moon they have done away with these scripted missions in XCOM2 (XCOM 2 procedurally generates its maps, even the gated story ones, so they will be different each time).

I will make one real exception: Newfoundland. Simply for entertainment value and concept. It can have a warm and happy place in my heart.

Whoops, poor memory.

I'd like to point out that that wiki article is literally citing me, however.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Whoops, poor memory.

I'd like to point out that that wiki article is literally citing me, however.

:hydra:

The delicious irony.

In fairness to you, I've had this discussion many times. I could set my clock by the regular "The RNG is cheating on classic and impossible, how can I mod the RNG to work like normal" discussion. In which a disbelieving poster just cannot fathom that he can do napkin math where 3 90% shots in a row missed, that's impossible, THEREFORE the game cheats means he does not, have any clue, how games involving random dice work.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I actually think incorporating gambler's fallacy, or some equivalent is really good game design, because it helps normalize results towards expected values. It has been used with resounding success in MOBA/MMO critical hits, which often deliberately aim for a 25% crit rate happening once every 4 hits or so, rather than it being a streaky crit-crit-crit-crit-crit, which is likely enough over large numbers of games, and can ruin a PVP fight.

The Normal mode calculation was too player biased for a non-easy mode, but I think it is a good idea.

And for @Aegeri since I know you come from a pen and paper background, a lot of successful systems have things like Fate points, action points, narrative control, etc. that help mitigate pure RNG. Of course, such a thing would be very in theme with XCOM, as instead of the gambler's fallacy system to normalize hits over a single mission, you could have pure RNG, but then use a Commander Point system for those really important rolls.

In my experience, "let the dice fall where they may!" sounds more fun than it actually is, and can mess up other gameplay systems when it delivers weird results.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    XCOM already has a bunch of ways to manipulate the numbers via gameplay mechanics that are reasonably well surfaced though. Hell XCOM 2 goes even further by giving you an itemized list of everything affecting your accuracy at that moment.

Having the game massage the numbers behind the scenes on some difficulties and not others just leads to an uneven difficulty curve.

I mean, ideally I'd like to see custom difficulties that allow greater granularity in difficulty. Like in EU/EW I'd gladly take Impossible difficulty on the tactical layer, if I could make the strategy layer like... Normal difficulty or something so I barely need to worry about it because I think it's largely bad and not fun. But like, apply that to other stuff like "Do you want the system to boost your hit rates for each miss" and so on and so forth.

And before anyone mentions it, I'm aware there is probably some mod or another that could accomplish my desired "Don't give a shit about strategy layer" difficulty mode.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I always thought the jump from normal to classic was tough. I always wanted something inbetween normal and classic.

Side note aiming angles and flank critical for second wave are my favourite. Nothing better than getting that sweet 9 dmg critical when your barrel is jammed in a sectoids mouth.

Now if they would just release the character editor so I can begin Operation Dress up.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Since we're talking about EU/EW, this guy is trying to beat EW in under 4 months gametime: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/41laeq/ive_spent_countless_hours_attempting_to_beat_ii/

his current best is July 12, 2015: http://imgur.com/a/y5ay3

LP of an older, slower (EU) run here:

valiance on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    For me the difficulty sweet spot was between Classic and Impossible. I could handle more/tougher enemies, but not those enemies having better hit/crit chance. Impossible was just too much work to play. I think a harder normal and a not-impossible Legend is what they are going for with XCOM2, which is exactly the right approach in my book. I'll be hopping into Legend straight away, barring a look at a lower difficult to get the story points in the tutorial.

wilting on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

It probably doesn't help that if your soldiers miss a high percentage shot they too will yell that it's bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    The big differences for me between normal and classic were:
    1. Free OTS
    2. cheaper soldiers
    3. soldiers start with more HP
    4. Aliens only advance on par with the XCom development level

The extreme shooting bonuses were there of course. Having a difficulty between the two was always something I wanted.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Your aim is increased by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 15%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +45% aim bonus.

Alien aim is reduced by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 25%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +75% defence.

LOL

This is amazing.

I almost want to do an easy run now where I only use one guy/girl, ever.

(I'd probably get bored, though)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    In terms of managing player expectations, it's nice if you display a die roller. People may not understand statistics, but they understand the concept of rolling over / under a target number, and showing them the roll can alleviate (some) frustrations.

Blood Bowl is far more random than XCOM, but it feels fairer to a lot of people because they can see the roll (even if the algorithm behind said roll is probably more or less the same).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NinotchkaNinotchka Registered User regular
    I spent the long weekend on an Impossible run, before giving up in disgust and dropping back down to Classic which now seems too easy.

Why is it that I can remember the exact spot I can advance to that will not trigger pod activations, but I cannot remember to pick up laundry detergent?

• Options
    The hacking shows the roll, I suppose.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I self narrate XCOM as the Darkest Dungeon narrator. It boosts my stats.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Okay, I am forced to concede the EXALT base assault is pretty fun.

It is hilarious blowing up their posh mansion, but I never do it anymore. EXALT are the single best EXP farm in the entire game, as their soldiers incompetently lemming into overwatch fire over and over. They are the best way to level up rookies or similar late game almost entirely safely. Ironically, because they don't have an objective to lemming towards in that mission, it means that specific level is the only time they'll ever be a significant threat to the player.

The Exalt Base was a bit of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, trashing the mansion is pretty neat, but on the other, it's a bit TOO trashable. Those sons of bitches apparently built their mansion out of wet cardboard. I lost a soldier, almost two, because every wall I took cover behind kept falling apart.

By the way, isn't there a decent amount of flavor text in the side rooms of that level? If so, I missed most of it, because I aggroed almost every enemy at once through the main room.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Someone should implement the darkest dungeon narrator as a soldier voice pack.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Someone should implement the darkest dungeon narrator as a soldier voice pack.

Can I just have him replace Bradford

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The narrator Soldier voice pack

Darkest Dungeon narrator, Stanley Parable narrator, Cookie Masterson, and Logan Cunningham as Soldier voices

• Options
    Beaglerush really did go "executed with impunity" in one of his XCOM 2 preview videos.

• Options
    Oh my God the Stanley Parable narrator would be fantastic.

"Oh, I see you thought you could get away with just one more tile."

"Let me guess: you incorrectly assumed that a second 82% shot couldn't miss, right?"

"And now it is time for you to learn about dashing, and why you should not have done so with the last soldier to act on your turn."

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I actually think incorporating gambler's fallacy, or some equivalent is really good game design, because it helps normalize results towards expected values. It has been used with resounding success in MOBA/MMO critical hits, which often deliberately aim for a 25% crit rate happening once every 4 hits or so, rather than it being a streaky crit-crit-crit-crit-crit, which is likely enough over large numbers of games, and can ruin a PVP fight.

The Normal mode calculation was too player biased for a non-easy mode, but I think it is a good idea.

And for @Aegeri since I know you come from a pen and paper background, a lot of successful systems have things like Fate points, action points, narrative control, etc. that help mitigate pure RNG. Of course, such a thing would be very in theme with XCOM, as instead of the gambler's fallacy system to normalize hits over a single mission, you could have pure RNG, but then use a Commander Point system for those really important rolls.

In my experience, "let the dice fall where they may!" sounds more fun than it actually is, and can mess up other gameplay systems when it delivers weird results.

In general I super agree with you (and I loooove systems that implement the gambler's fallacy) though I'm not sure a system like that belongs in XCOM.

XCOM has (among others) two major overarching mechanical themes.
    1. Being attacked by an enemy on the enemy turn is a BIG deal
    2. Mistakes will be punished harshly, and weaknesses will be exploited just as harshly

This isn't news to anyone in this thread of course. However, the whole XCOM MO of "make sure you kill the aliens before they can shoot, or, worst case scenario, smoke, flashbang, hunker behind cover, give them the biggest hit penalty you possibly can" also relies on purity of the RNG to work.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I still want to get the voice packs from Worms in there.
    Just having it play '"Oi! Nutta!" when throwing a grenade.

edit: And a sitcom laugh track when the enemy crits one of your guys.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I still want to get the voice packs from Worms in there.
    Just having it play '"Oi! Nutta!" when throwing a grenade.

edit: And a sitcom laugh track when the enemy crits one of your guys.
    Those will definitely be mods.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Your aim is increased by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 15%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +45% aim bonus.

Alien aim is reduced by four minus the amount of soldiers you still have, times 25%. Hence having one soldier in play grants him a +75% defence.

LOL

This is amazing.

That would be remarkably entertaining.

And also take a million years.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I want a Beaglerush voicepack!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Write up a new set of scripts in the first mission just to play each "and that is when we say goodbye to advent officer number one" for every shot you take at them that is reasonably likely to kill

cB557 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

JAKE SOLOMON!

FIX YOUR GAME!

• Options

LOL

This is amazing.

I've considered doing this as well, if only to stall on raising the difficulty to impossible but still say I'm challenging myself.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Write up a new set of scripts in the first mission just to play each "and that is when we say goodbye to advent officer number one" for every shot you take at them that is reasonably likely to kill

...or the Jake Solomon, Gentleman Adventure version, calling of the percentage and adding "it's practically 100" no matter how low the shot chance actually is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Birgirpall & Banzai Pack:

*Misses shot*

FUCK YOU I WAS RIGHT

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Birgirpall & Banzai Pack:

*Misses shot*

FUCK YOU I WAS RIGHT

Thanks now I need this.

Great.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh would it be possible to just record my own lines? Make characters out of pals and have them record their own unit barks? I want to do this.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular

JAKE SOLOMON!

FIX YOUR GAME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1YVT3ZIUs

• Options
    edited January 2016
    When you see a Ranger with a Machete and a Shotgun, you just keep on walkin'.

Dispatch this Alien in brutal fashion, that all may hear of your arrival! Send these vermin a message. The rightful master has returned, and their kind are not welcome!

Cantido on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The humble bundle this month is basically Firaxis' recent back catalogue https://www.humblebundle.com/ EW for 6 dollars

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The latest Humble Bundle has XCOM and the Expansion/DLCs for chump change right now, definitely worth it for anyone that hasn't picked it up yet.

Looking forward to getting through all the new EW stuff!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yay my XCOM2 refund came through.