As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

1404142434446»

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    really? I've heard quite the opposite. I haven't gotten any myself to check though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    So generally from what I've seen, there was some rough stuff with the *first* releases, when they were using that light grey material. It was sometimes a bit brittle... but as I understand it they've fully switched over to the dark grey stuff the UK printers were using, and it's quite nice. And they went through and reworked a lot of the infantry from the early releases so they're single-piece models now too in the new material.

I should actually try to hit up the Replacement Parts portal to see if I can get the new versions of the Legionaires, since I have a non-zero number of the old ones where the sword broke at the hilt.

I'm still amazed that they were able to put out the single-piece cavalry models that were in the Storm Legion expansion and they looked just as good as the old metal ones, if not better. Then there's stuff like the Invictus I posted last page, while it was still five pieces it went together smoother than ANYTHING in the old days. The hardest stuff nowadays is probably not messing up magnet polarities on the warjacks/warbeasts.

Unrelated, so I don't know how long they've been in the app, but I was just browsing through it and the rules for both Scyrafel and that Storm Legion warcaster coming in the cadre box are in there. His name be Mechanik Adept Sparkhammer, and it definitely looks like we're getting a Cygnar rhulic caster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJG96s3XFe4

Also a new Primecast, with a look at a couple of the upcoming huge-based models.

We've got a look at the Orgoth... I'm just going to call it a monstrosity, since they are... and the Orgoth continue to be weird since it sounds like their second army will be warlock-led. So this thing will be either a gargantuan or a colossal depending on which army it's in, just like the warjack/warbeast hybrid one that's coming in their cadre box.

There's also Brineblood's Abyssal King, which is... whoa.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I'm looking forward to the return of the Farrow, I never had a chance to grab their stuff and I'm hoping their new releases keep the spirit of the old stuff. Frankly, I'd be fine if they just recast all the old metal stuff into plastic/resin because I think it all still looks pretty good XD. Hoping we get to see Blindwater before too long, I still have a small Blindwater army and I don't get to play very often.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don’t care that much as long as stuff isn’t breaking, but I have a friend who gets way into the painting part, and he’s been really annoyed by the print layers with the models he’s seen, and since he is my main opponent, we found something else. Which with the change to Ios, I don’t mind as much anymore.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    While we were on holiday break, a roadmap got posted for the first half of 2024 releases.

Also a bit of a hint towards what the next army is going to be, looking to drop in May...

kwfah2eyc8k4.png

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Oh hey, I missed that we got a couple of sculpt previews the other day.

2cai4xtlbp7n.jpg

0770dptcas6d.jpg
    (for reference, this is their 80mm warbeast)

a0zdqwqab769.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    The Annual Rules Update and Release Notes are up. It's just... a whole lot of stuff, including a bunch of tweaks to Legacy armies. Might try to go through and hit some of the big changes later.

Also a slight army composition update, where instead of requiring a specific number of cohort models depending on point size, you need to take at least one non-lesser.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'm in love with this model
    evwrt6ecc4lb.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh yeah, we got a new Primecast+ today with that, and some other previews:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U06qmcqHik

-New Minicrates
    -First look at the new Cryx Necrofactorum army
    -Southern Kriel's Firetongue Warrior cadre
    -The Ghosts of Ios cadre's light warjack
    -Emperor Carver and his super-heavy warbeast
    -The new Khador 50mm caster

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So the first concept art for the warcaster in the Necrofactorum box is out.

swyp8xl847bq.png

A few notes:
    -Yes, she's Iosan, and no she's not a vampire like the Dusk crew. Goreshade must've put down a rule that there must always be a elf caster in Cryx at all times.
    -Apparently the Starters are changing starting with this army release. Her character warjack, Hades, will be in the starter and it will *not* be a upgrade kit. It'll be a unique 'jack model. Word is that more info is coming about the changes are coming in a Primecast next week.

Unrelated, I kind of love how he came out?

rn5bbzsz7omd.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to totally steal the reddit post for the info on the new starters from the Primecast:
    New Army Starter Boxes: Price Point: $80 USD
    Necrofactorium will be the first of this new style of starter box, which will contain:
    • Warcaster
    • Character Warjack (Hades)(Single model, not magnetizable/customizable)
    • Character Unit (The Furies) (3 man squad of ghosts)
    • Master Necrotech Character Solo

Idea was for this box to be ~30 points to get players started at a lower buy-in point.

Another idea was for the box to be all characters/unique models so it didn't need to be purchased twice - buy it once and jump in.

Expansion One: Price Point: ~$130 USD (Idea is to be roughly equal to existing expansion boxes)
    • Contains the second warcaster and a unit or two of five man infantry, support solos, etc.
    • Contains magnetized Warjack kit for Heavy/Light Warjacks

Expansion Two: Price Point: ~$130 USD
    • Contains the third warcaster and remainder of infantry/units, probably the 'heavier' units like Cavalry
    • Contains the second character warjack upgrade kits (similar to existing ones) ('Grendel' for NuCryx)
    • Necrofactorium will get an 80mm option like existing factions
    • Necrofactorium will also get a battle box option containing a warcaster and a heavy/light Jack set for ~80 USD.
    • Plan is to circle back to existing armies (Brineblood Marauders/Sea Raiders/House Kallyss/Storm Legion/Winter Korps/Shadowflame) to give them an $80 buy in point similar to Necrofactoriums (Warcaster/Warlock, Character Beast/Jack, Character units/etc)
    • It will take a while to circle back to the already released factions for these new starter sets, though, but it does mean that most likely these factions will be getting a second character warjack and additional options.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Uhh.... wait what?

So he's a merc model that will work for Storm Legion, Winter Korps, and House Kallyss armies.

Pre-orders for him and Emperor Carver are up, shipping starts on the 20'th for both of them.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    he's doing fine

• Options
    Been slowly chipping away at the Storm Forge cadre box, got the new Storm Callers and the Weather Station done.

d447gvu1acmg.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh. Oh no.

Ever think "man, sticking the Skulls of Hate on Kharchev wasn't the worst idea possible? What could be even worse?"

Coming direct from the Department of Bad Ideas, we just got a preview of the Orgoth Apotheosis-style caster...
    THE BUTCHER'S DUE

While the Invaders were not successful in their attempt to bring down the defenses in their Siege of Scarswall, they can take consolation in a new ally that will be present in their future battles...

After disobeying a direct order in the wake of the Infernal Wars, the once feared Butcher of Khardov, Orsus Zoktavir, was chained to an ancient and cursed fell blade and exiled to the wastelands. But as the Orgoth mounted their second invasion of the Iron Kingdoms and called their relics back, Orsus was drawn to those that had forged the instrument of his persecution, and they greeted him with open arms and the glory such a reaper of souls should deserve.

Once the most notorious champion of the Motherland, the Butcher and his blade now long for nothing more than the blood of his former countrymen as he leads legions of Orgoth invaders against the allied forces of Immoren.

Orsus, the Betrayed, is the next entry in the Apotheosis series of Warcasters and Warlocks when he joins the Orgoth in their conquest of the Iron Kingdoms later this year.

iztgdmqyakj7.png

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    why would you chain him to the powerful evil axe when you're exiling him

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    why would you chain him to the powerful evil axe when you're exiling him

Well, that way you get rid of the powerful evil axe at the same time as you make him somebody else's immediate problem.
    I'm sure there's no way that that decision could come back and haunt us

• Options
    Article on the new Gravediggers went up today.

Definitely feels like the "classic" Trenchers theme, updated with the advancements in tech so they also have paratroopers on their side too. They talk about concepts about supply drops being called in from the airships to adapt to changing battlefield conditions.

Like how the heavy 'jack for them, the Valiant, currently has a heavy weapon hardpoint on the chassis, but doesn't deploy with anything in it. You can call in one from a selection of options during the battle.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    that's a cool army gimmick

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Hello thread. I was listening to one of my favorite Kill Team YouTubers who's recently become dissatisfied with that game and he started making content for Warmachine, when I remembered, "Oh, yeah I bought some of those models back in the day!" I don't really have time to paint much of anything, and my Kill Team backlog still calls, but I'd like to generally know what's going on with the game considering I was really into when it first released. I think I even ran a short Iron Kingdoms game with their 3.5 E rules eons ago. Basic questions I have are:

1) Has the lore changed at all, or has it been continuous this whole time? Judging from some of their periodic warcaster re-releases I imagine that there's been some significant lore updates through the various editions, but since Mk IV has different factions and all, does this mean they did a hard reset on the lore, and if so, what were the big changes?

2) Is there an equivalent faction to the Protectorate of Menoth planned for Mk IV? I fell in love with the original Paladin of the Order of the Wall model from the original release, and I've always liked the tension between their order and the excruciators that were the faction leaders.

3) I saw that there's an Iron Kingdoms RPG that released using the D&D 5E rules. What time period/edition does that take place in? Would that be a good way to catch up with the lore? Does anyone have any opinions on it? I'm not the biggest fan of D&D's core rules, but it is the easiest to find a gaming group with, so I could be persuaded to pick up the IK setting.

Thanks!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The lore hasn't reset, they've just been continuously advancing the timeline, and MK4 occurs after a bit of a timeskip following a big cataclysmic war/event that was the culmination of the MK3 storyline. There's a lot of the finer details of it I myself am not familiar with yet like what happened with every faction.

Speaking of which, I don't think the Protectorate as it was in MK3 will be in MK4, I don't know how they're planning on handling that precisely, but if you don't mind the metal too much they are porting over everything from MK3 rules wise, so you can still play with the old Protectorate stuff if it appeals to you more than any of the new factions they've announced so far. There's room for a descendant faction like there is for all the other major factions so far, but I haven't seen anything specific about plans on their blog.

As for the RPG, the new one they released that got kickstarted using 5th edition rules is I believe set in MK4 in the same timeframe as the 'current' storyline, though there's nothing from stopping you from setting it in an earlier era if you want to. It does contain a lot of the lore and backstory for how the Iron Kingdoms look at the current point in the timeline where MK4 is, so if you do want to just get a handle on the setting as it is now it would probably be good for that, can't speak to how it is an RPG though.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So the biggest change for the "Protectorate" is that they... well, don't really exist as a country anymore. A *lot* of people died fighting the Infernals, and as I understand it the scrutators basically got wiped out to a person. (Which is probably for the best, because they were kinda silly geese.) Which gave Durst and the other Paladins a opportunity to step in and take control, and they decided that the best course of action was to get a fresh start somewhere else. They led a mass exodus and founded a new colony across the ocean somewhere south down by Zu. There's some remnant forces that stayed behind to watch over some of the towns that couldn't go, but their presence on the mainland is massively diminished.

Looking forward, there hasn't been anything announced... but they *have* said they've constantly heard that it's a popular faction that people want something for. That's the reason why Cryx is getting a new army. What it might look like or when, who knows... but if it happens, probably won't be until next year unless they've got a surprise lined up.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    How has the progress been on adding mk4 rules for mk3 models? Note that for mk4 they are strongly encouraging people to buy new models, there's two army building formats: a legacy version of the game where you can use whatever and they're not trying very hard to balance it, and the new main format where you can use a fixed selection of only some of the old mk3 models in their own army list that is designed to be played against the new mk4 armies, which are themselves pretty restrictive, each army mostly having only its own units it can bring even if it shares a faction with another mk4 army. This felt like both a bottom line "buy new minis" decision and a "we don't want to have to balance rules for every mini we ever made in perpetuity" decision.

https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Legacy_Armies

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thanks thread, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'm interested enough that I might pick up the RPG if I see it in the wild, but I'll probably just check back in a few years to see what became of the Order of the Wall Paladins.

One thing I liked about the Menoth faction was that it was fundamentally flawed. Sure, those Wall guys are nice, but there are problems at the heart of the worship of Menoth, and that conflict makes for an interesting narrative. Without the Scruciators to take the role of dogmatic villians, the Paladins are probably either too nice and good to have big internal problems, or else they slip into some kind of fundamentalism and themselves become like the Scruciators. Neither of those options resonates as well as the original concept with me. But that's just conjecture on my part, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    As I understand it, as of late last year every model *should* have rules for the Unlimited format.

They *have* been tweaking the Legacy armies as well, adding in extra options as the mk4 armies catch up and get more models.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 26
    So we've got a little more information on the Gravedigger army.

There's going to be two different versions of the Patriot-class light jack: The Squad Class and the Battlegroup Class.

The Squad class is designed to be run attached to a Jack Marshal, and can be air-dropped onto the battlefield. They will have three fixed load-out options.
    xn1k83adfok1.png
    l52juckjg17m.png

The Battlegroup class version will attach to a warcaster and have the standard 4/4/4 options for arms and heads.
    4pp3fz8m5avk.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey, I was wondering about them.

Pre-orders for the Ghosts of Ios and the Shard Incarnates cadres went up, and are releasing May 14'th.

persona4celestia.jpg