As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It goes from taking a pretty rough cult classic and turning it into something pretty great. One of the few remakes I've come across that is out-and-out a total improvement on the original.

I just wish they'd included an option to have the original voice acting. It's something everyone should haveget to experience:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdp28ve-6Aw

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I love Leon, but I have to play as Helena whenever I play RE6. Droppin elbows on zombies all day erry day. Also, the shoot dodge with the hydra shotgun is badass.

Also also, RE6 is far far better than it gets credit for.

Best Mercenaries mode in an RE game.

Not exactly super-high praise, but it's there.

Also, the People's Helena's Elbow is fantastic. As is shoot-dodging.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I loved Resident Evil 4, and then I freaking LOOOOOOOVED Resident Evil 5. It may be the game I've beaten most, ever. I've co-op finished it 4 times with 3 different people, and beaten it a bunch myself.

I really felt they had split the crew up and Leon/Claire/Jill would be the spookier RE games, and then Chris/Sheva/BSAA would be the action games.

Then 6 came along, I bought it on launch day, and I never made it past Leon's 1st boss. I hated it.

I wonder if I'd like it any better if I re-visited it now...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I loved Resident Evil 4, and then I freaking LOOOOOOOVED Resident Evil 5. It may be the game I've beaten most, ever. I've co-op finished it 4 times with 3 different people, and beaten it a bunch myself.

I really felt they had split the crew up and Leon/Claire/Jill would be the spookier RE games, and then Chris/Sheva/BSAA would be the action games.

Then 6 came along, I bought it on launch day, and I never made it past Leon's 1st boss. I hated it.

I wonder if I'd like it any better if I re-visited it now...

Temper your expectations when you go in and you might enjoy it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    They did change some things in RE6 after launch. I don't know what you didn't like specifically, but one of the things people hated was the camera being stuck up your character's ass. They pulled it back quite a bit which was nice.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I didn't like Sheva until I gave her the bolt action rifle. Then she became a sniper god.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never had any success with RE5 when playing solo.

I went through maybe 30% of the game on co-op with a buddy, but he lost interest. So I've never seen the latter part of that game.

Heck, I can't even beat level 1 solo.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    They did change some things in RE6 after launch. I don't know what you didn't like specifically, but one of the things people hated was the camera being stuck up your character's ass. They pulled it back quite a bit which was nice.

The PS4 release nerfed the difficulty of some of the QTE’s as well, particularly the ones where you need to “climb”.

• Options

The PS4 release nerfed the difficulty of some of the QTE’s as well, particularly the ones where you need to “climb”.

That's interesting. The current generation releases happened simultaneously (29 March 2016, according to Wikipedia). I wonder what sort of visual changes were implemented.

If there was a way to immediately unlock Mercenaries mode, for all characters, I'd probably buy it on XB1 again.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Was REmake the one on the GameCube or was there another?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yes but it's had an HD rerelease as well.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yes but it's had an HD rerelease as well.

Yeah. I got the GameCube one.

• Options
    Game Informer Interview with some new-ish info.
    I noticed that you guys started the trailer from a mouse's perspective, and I see that you have one here in the interview room. Is there...?

Hirabayashi [grabbing the mouse and talking for him]: “Hello. My name is Kevin Jr. Nice to meet you.”

They say that just because it's in the camera perspective, don't expecting action-focused gameplay like RE 4, 5, and 6. This is true RE survival horror.

The "zapping system" is confirmed gone. Claire and Leon have individual campaigns that focus on what happens to them throughout the story, but they will meet up over the course of the game.

You'll most likely know your way around the game if you've played the original, but they have also added brand new areas to the game as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Can you also tell them that I'd prefer Ninja Theory's DmC2 instead of whatever DMC5 they might be planning?

Also, hah at this post I made a few pages back. I would still love DmC2, but DMC5 looks freakin' awesome.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Game Informer Interview with some new-ish info.
    I noticed that you guys started the trailer from a mouse's perspective, and I see that you have one here in the interview room. Is there...?

Hirabayashi [grabbing the mouse and talking for him]: “Hello. My name is Kevin Jr. Nice to meet you.”

They say that just because it's in the camera perspective, don't expecting action-focused gameplay like RE 4, 5, and 6. This is true RE survival horror.

The "zapping system" is confirmed gone. Claire and Leon have individual campaigns that focus on what happens to them throughout the story, but they will meet up over the course of the game.

You'll most likely know your way around the game if you've played the original, but they have also added brand new areas to the game as well.

I actually kind of prefer this as it's a single story being told by both sides instead of an interchangeable story depending on which campaign you do and which route you take (A or B).

New areas are also cool as long as they don't over-pad the game. It should be a decent length but not crazy long either. I guess as long as the areas are interesting or add meaningful content to the story then it's okay.

• Options
    I agree. My guess is that they've just added some new sections to existing areas like the police department.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    They could completely jump the shark and add something like Red-deads or Lisa from the RE:Make, I'm just unsure what they would add without making it a rehash of old mechanics from the first RE:Make. Adding too much complexity could offend the 'purity' crowd that really just wants to see RE2 in HD.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's weird that Leon A Claire B is apparently the canon one tho?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Is it weird? I thought that was the most common route?

• Options
    Which is which when the cop car crashes backwards and forwards? I always started with Claire. I imagine that's Claire A?

• Options
    Yeah, whichever campaign you start with before beating the game is the 'A' campaign, and then new game + is the 'B' campaign. Basically the route where you go to the gun shop first is A, and the route where you go to the helipad first is B.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Is it weird? I thought that was the most common route?

Typically it was considered that Claire-A/Leon-B's the canon route due to it making the most sense out of the two routes. One can't exactly take the RE2-Remake demo at face value when it comes to continuity anyway due to the aforementioned story-tweaks planned as well as it being a demo for the gameplay means it's not going out of it's way to exactly adhere to what's going to happen in the proper game's story.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They could completely jump the shark and add something like Red-deads or Lisa from the RE:Make, I'm just unsure what they would add without making it a rehash of old mechanics from the first RE:Make. Adding too much complexity could offend the 'purity' crowd that really just wants to see RE2 in HD.

Add a playable Jill section that clearly retcons something from RE3. Then announce RE3 make after the game is out.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Retcon the dude from the start of RE3 who gets eaten by magic teleporting zombies, because I have no idea how the fuck that guy died.

• Options

Add a playable Jill section that clearly retcons something from RE3. Then announce RE3 make after the game is out.

Adding a 'secret' trailer announcement would be retro as fuck and I would enjoy that a lot. Like a special route to a bonus area to collect background information on Jill that unlocks the trailer for RE3 when completing the game could be sick. RE2 and RE3 both take place during the same time right?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Even like a short dlc campaign that condenses 3 would be awesome

• Options
    Go hard or go home.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    They would have to, how can you not use the title "Threemake"

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Go hard or go home.

2022: ReREmake 1 releases. Resident Evil 1 in the style of REmake 2.

2025: ReREmake 2 releases. RE2 remade in the style of RE7.

2028: REmake 3 releases. RE3 in the style of REmake 2.

2031: REmake 4 releases. Resident Evil 4 remade in the style of the original PS1 Resident Evil.

• Options
    Look,

I have no problem with any of that.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    RE3 is the one I played most. I would love a remake of that. And also RE1 again. Trill it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm still surprised nobody has asked them about PSVR yet. Oddly the fact that nobody is talking about it, makes me think that VR is coming and people are being hush about a future announcement.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Go hard or go home.

2031: REmake 4 releases. Resident Evil 4 remade in the style of the original PS1 Resident Evil.

2 is in the style of 4-6, not 7.

• Options
    Go hard or go home.

2 is in the style of 4-6, not 7.

The 2019 version of REMake2 is, Not the 2025 version of ReREmake 2. :P

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I would actually love to see what RE4 in the classic style would look like.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    What about DeMaCke,the 2050 remake of Devil May Cry's original concept as a Resident Evil game where you are the monster, in the time-honored style of Resident Evil Gaiden for the Gameboy Color?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/23/capcom-explains-why-resident-evil-2-remake-wont-have-vr-support/
    We’re not thinking about VR support currently, given that the camera perspective and the over-the-shoulder choice would mean that VR is not the best way to present the game. VR doesn’t match the vision for us.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'm okay with this. I'm still behind on the VR train anyway, but I know a lot of VR enthusiasts will be upset with the news.

• Options
    In my own limited experiences, third-person VR perspectives basically take the limitations in VR (like the frequently terrible movement mechanics) and put them on top of a really weird, inconvenient camera perspective. There are exceptions, of course (such as games that deliberately separate you from the actual protagonist).

Since the original RE, I've always associated the franchise with extremely elaborate third-person animations and movement mechanics (which, for most of the franchise, are deliberately clumsy and awkward, which helps offset the very limited enemy AI). For me personally, that's why I have trouble thinking of RE7 as an RE game, instead of a (very well done) first person survival shooter where you fight monsters. I think that's a lot better suited for current VR, which handles aiming and first-person view well, but other things rather poorly.

This discussion has been closed.